• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD reveals the best-selling games of 2020 in the U.S.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When you have 3+ developers working on your game you’re especially going to be a big target for #1 in sales Call of duty is the type of franchise that likes to offer a good mp, campaign and is basically pressured into being #1 because of Activisions gameplan, COD will always be #1. End of thread.
Lebron James Yes GIF by Powerade

Madflavor

Ok I'm probably retarded at reading charts. FFVII Remake outsold Cyberpunk in the US? Am I reading that right? Past I checked FFVII sold 5 million by August, which is by no means bad, but not stellar either.

Edit: oh I see they're not including digital sales for cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Murr

Ok I'm probably retarded at reading charts. FFVII Remake outsold Cyberpunk in the US? Am I reading that right? Past I checked FFVII sold 5 million by August, which is by no means bad, but not stellar either.

Means basically no PC sales. Not very informative.

What i want to know is who is buying Super Mario 3D All-stars? Have these people ever heard of emulators and Dolphin? You'd think the controversy would have scared people off of buying it.

In a better world, Crash 4 would have been selling much more than that.

Last edited:
What i want to know is who is buying Super Mario 3D All-stars? Have these people ever heard of emulators and Dolphin? You'd think the controversy would have scared people off of buying it.

I bought two copies. I don’t emulate, especially if I don’t own the game.

As for the chart, it looks like a fair good year for Sony and Nintendo. It’s crazy those old Nintendo Switch games are still selling so well.

So just did a quick bit of research and since Wii craze in late 00’s, basically since 2008 only years CoD wasn’t at the top were 2013 (GTA V) and 2018 (RDR 2). Logic implies that only GTA VI will be able to dethrone CoD again whenever it comes out.

Absolute bonkers.

Also FF has half a year of sales while Cyberpunk has 3 week more or less.

Alebrije

Did not expect Valhalla's sales reach that place, maybe because lack of new options by end of year.

The game is fine if you liked Ac Origins and Odyssey...plus it takes some elements from even previous games.

Anywat Ubi must be happy with it.

Alebrije

So just did a quick bit of research and since Wii craze in late 00’s, basically since 2008 only years CoD wasn’t at the top were 2013 (GTA V) and 2018 (RDR 2). Logic implies that only GTA VI will be able to dethrone CoD again whenever it comes out.

Absolute bonkers.
Cyberbug was the choosen one....buy meh.....

Tbf it’s not like they had a big release this year.

I think you should check what MS released in 2020. I think MS published around 8 games in 2020.
Ever head about Game Pass?
No first party game will ever chart again on the list

Because they are on GamePass?

But, but, but Phil Spencer told me that Xbox community buy more games which are on Gamepass. So, that includes 1st party games.

Last edited:

bxrz

I think you shoul check what MS released in 2020. I think MS published around 7 games in 2020.

But, but, but Phil Spencer told me that Xbox community buy more games which are on Gamepass. So, that includes 1st party games.
But no AAA 1st party games for Xbox released this year lol

ethomaz

Banned
I think you shoul check what MS released in 2020. I think MS published around 7 games in 2020.

Why should you buy a game you can play on Gamepass? Phil talk talk strikes again with his nonsense.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, just to be a part of millions of players.
You are part of these millions of players if you are just playing the game via Gamepass, no?

I understand there is some guys that likes collections... same guys that have Plus or Gold but even so they want to buy the game and not have the Plus/Gold version.

But that is a very small part of the username.

I meant 2020. They didn't release any AAA game for 2020

They've released one actually. Wasteland 3 was full priced 60$
I think you should ckeck what MS released in 2020 for Xbox. AA games can be on that list too and NPD tracks digital purchase on Xbox

Kokoloko85

Ever head about Game Pass?
No first party game will ever chart again on the list

Which means there not gonna make the big bucks as Gamepass has been said by Aaron is not profiting much.

Gamepass model might bring a downscale to MS exclusives if it carries on this way. Games like Halo and Bethesda games cost a bomb to make.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Good to see Nintendo Turn it around from the Wii U days.
Surprised to see Spiderman MM in the December list and 12th overall in 2020, I thought it bombed?

Great to see Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 and FF7RE in the top 10.

bxrz

They've released one actually. Wasteland 3 was full priced 60$
I think you should ckeck what MS released in 2020 for Xbox. AA games can be on that list too and NPD tracks digital purchase on Xbox
Wastelanders 3 is not a AAA game. And its a very niche game

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Great to see TLOU2 and Ghost chart top 10. Sony exclusives dont typically do well at the box office. I guess times are a changing.

Miles almost beating Avengers is pretty nuts. FF7 getting beat by TLOU2 and Ghost is telling too.

Sony definitely needs to release a shooter next gen. They are the biggest more popular genre this gen and sony pretty much ignored an entire genre. With the cachet their studios have, anything they put out with that Sony first party quality it will sell gangbusters.

Wastelanders 3 is not a AAA game. And its a very niche game

Since it was a full priced 60$ game, to me, it's AAA. Wasteland series IS NOT a niche one. Well, over millions of players played Wasteland 3 across PS4, X1 and PC.
Minecraft Dungeon is a AA, is that a niche game? Is Ori a niche game?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
CoD takes the crown and still nobody will remember this game in 3 years
Because in 3 years you will be playing the CoD of that year.
Fact.

CoD games are really fun to play... I can't deny I like them... I just wished to have more time to play them more.

Last edited:

manfestival

While I am not surprised about MW getting so much love. I am slightly meh about BLOPCW taking the top spot. MW > BLOPSCW(FIGHT ME).

CODMW deserves all of the love it has gotten. Activision going into their typical cycle with the game is such a crying shame.

Woopah

I find it funny that not only do people believe him, but he and Xbox fans brag about paying multiple times for the same game.
I think it could work on smaller games and new IPs. People try it because its on GamePass and then tell their friends about it and post about it on social media, giving the game a bunch of free marketing.

Wouldn't work with a Halo or a Gears though.

Alan Wake

Which means there not gonna make the big bucks as Gamepass has been said by Aaron is not profiting much.

Gamepass model might bring a downscale to MS exclusives if it carries on this way. Games like Halo and Bethesda games cost a bomb to make.

If they didn't think they could make the big bucks, they wouldn't have launched a service like Game Pass. Greenberg has said that they "over deliver" at this point, to get people into the service. Once people are there, I think a lot of people will stay. Just like with Netflix.

Bodomism

Banned
Great to see TLOU2 and Ghost chart top 10. Sony exclusives dont typically do well at the box office. I guess times are a changing.

Miles almost beating Avengers is pretty nuts. FF7 getting beat by TLOU2 and Ghost is telling too.

Sony definitely needs to release a shooter next gen. They are the biggest more popular genre this gen and sony pretty much ignored an entire genre. With the cachet their studios have, anything they put out with that Sony first party quality it will sell gangbusters.
Games like MK8D, SM3DAS, NBA2K, GTAV, CP2077 didn't have digital data and likely to chart ahead of TLOU2 if those data were included.

I think you should check what MS released in 2020. I think MS published around 8 games in 2020.

This is a silly statement. 1st party Microsoft games are permanently on Gamepass, if I have the Gamepass subscription why the heck would I buy it? I have, on the other hand, purchased several 3rd party games as they were leaving Gamepass because I like them and want to continue playing them, and my DLC purchases on Gamepass games has also gone up......

It isn't that hard to understand, and there is no real contradiction here......

Very telling that GoT is right on the heels of TLOU2. Especially when GOT was only $10 off during Dec, while TLOU2 was 50% off. GoT also started with a 1.6M deficit, ~800K of which was probably from the US. Should pass it this year. No wonder Sony hasn't given anymore sales updates for it. The decline is real.

Last edited:
Top Bottom