• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Ps4 has 4 exclusives in top 10 2020 total sales

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
x8qin1f74gy41.jpg

Well on PC game devs that goes woke actually goes broke. We saw that with Ion Fury until they changed it.

Sony has shown they can do all and still even be in the lead. They can even go woke and still be on top.

sol_bad

Look who were the first to talk about TLOU 2 lmao

Its sad that people confuses initial sales boosted by hype, for 'doing' well.

Lets see what the 'doing' charts say:
ItMc5D6.jpg

Yeah, nowhere to be seen. Keep laughing : )

Digital only sales >>>> digital + physical sales?
HUH?

Roufianos

Not surprised, I didn't like TLoU 2 but FFVIII and Death Stranding were awesome. I also played Death Stranding and Days Gone back to back in January and February and had a blast with both.

They had a slow start but Sony definitely finished the gen strong on the exclusives front.

Last edited:
'The haters can't stop talking about TLOUS2'.

Wish you guys take your own advice.

And just like all of those types, they ignore the complete lack of legs, only looking at the initial 2-3 weeks of sales. TLOU sold 10M on an install base of 87M. I don't see TLOU2 hitting 10M, and the PS4's install base will end up at 125M+. Not when it only sold 34K in NA in its 2nd full month.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And just like all of those types, they ignore the complete lack of legs, only looking at the initial 2-3 weeks of sales. TLOU sold 10M on an install base of 87M. I don't see TLOU2 hitting 10M, and the PS4's install base will end up at 125M+. Not when it only sold 34K in NA in its 2nd full month.

Maybe you should start following sales because guys like you come in here and spread misinformation.

The guy on resetera said around 34k in physical only.

Games usually don't sell well after during the third month. That's why you see a lot of games go on sale around this time. Seems like haters just started following sales when The Last of Us released.

Exclusives will always matter in the console business. It's a differentiator - the biggest and most important differentiator that speaks to gamers directly. In that it's no different than Game of Thrones selling HBO Max or The Mandalorian selling Disney Plus. Not to mention exclusives are some of the best examples of cutting edge tech in games. Hard work getting rewarded on that chart. The dream would be all first party games from the 3 mayor players dominating that chart instead of the yearly franchises from stagnant third parties. This year is an anomaly compared to the usual.

Last edited:

EDMIX

ItMc5D6.jpg

Lets see what the 'doing' charts said about Uncharted 4

Not being on the top 20 after the first few months doesn't really mean a game didn't do well... Using such logic, Uncharted 4 didn't do well, yet its the best selling game in the series. Its great for zingers and one liners and trying to cherry pick to bend some narrative, but when you actually look at many great selling single player titles, MOST don't just live on the charts for life or something. So....GTA V and Zelda Breath Of The Wild are not the norms of game sales to really be trying to argue living on the chart as being some normal thing or something lol

That would be like trying to argue any game not outselling Call Of Duty must have failed or something. So when you ACTUALLY look at how MOST AAA single player games perform, they don't live on the charts, its not unusual to see a title a few months in not appear on the top 20 downloads.

Some of the best selling games in many series have actually disappeared from the top 20 after the first few months. Using such logic, it would question how God Of War 2018 became the best selling God Of War title or how Uncharted 4 became the best selling in the series or Fallout 4 etc. Those games all disappeared from the top 20 downloads after a few months too... So in order to understand if something is abnormal, I still need to see just what normal actually is. Its why I don't really fall for this whole "yoooooo this game did (xyz)" or "yoooooo this developer did this" or "yooooo this person left said team". I first need to know, is this normal? Look it up, oh....so its normal for a artist and writers to shift to different teams after a project is done? Thus...not abnormal. I do this with all data. Again, in order to understand if something is abnormal, you still actually need to look at the MAJORITY to see how they do in this area to even understand if this is rare.

Its not as unique as you think once you start actually bringing up facts huh? :pie_raybans:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Nioh 2, while not on the list, is another exclusive that's actually better than the majority of games on that list jfl.
Also how did Kakarot sell so well when the game is so bad lmao?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would love to see games 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim make it to the charts but............there is no way thats gonna happen.

Life is not that fair.
RedPointedIberianemeraldlizard-size_restricted.gif

coastel

TLOU2 wasn't bad but I think days gone is the best exclusive on ps4.

Edit: obviously mean this gen, not just this year.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Lets see what the 'doing' charts said about Uncharted 4

Not being on the top 20 after the first few months doesn't really mean a game didn't do well... Using such logic, Uncharted 4 didn't do well, yet its the best selling game in the series. Its great for zingers and one liners and trying to cherry pick to bend some narrative, but when you actually look at many great selling single player titles, MOST don't just live on the charts for life or something. So....GTA V and Zelda Breath Of The Wild are not the norms of game sales to really be trying to argue living on the chart as being some normal thing or something lol

That would be like trying to argue any game not outselling Call Of Duty must have failed or something. So when you ACTUALLY look at how MOST AAA single player games perform, they don't live on the charts, its not unusual to see a title a few months in not appear on the top 20 downloads.

Some of the best selling games in many series have actually disappeared from the top 20 after the first few months. Using such logic, it would question how God Of War 2018 became the best selling God Of War title or how Uncharted 4 became the best selling in the series or Fallout 4 etc. Those games all disappeared from the top 20 downloads after a few months too... So in order to understand if something is abnormal, I still need to see just what normal actually is. Its why I don't really fall for this whole "yoooooo this game did (xyz)" or "yoooooo this developer did this" or "yooooo this person left said team". I first need to know, is this normal? Look it up, oh....so its normal for a artist and writers to shift to different teams after a project is done? Thus...not abnormal. I do this with all data. Again, in order to understand if something is abnormal, you still actually need to look at the MAJORITY to see how they do in this area to even understand if this is rare.

Its not as unique as you think once you start actually bringing up facts huh? :pie_raybans:
Teach me your ways senpai.

Kayoba

It triggers me that Madden and MLB is on that list. How is it even remotely possible that a game about american sports sells so well when said sport barely exist outside the american hemisphere?

Furthermore, do their fans never learn that EA is making the game?

It triggers me that Madden and MLB is on that list. How is it even remotely possible that a game about american sports sells so well when said sport barely exist outside the american hemisphere?

Furthermore, do their fans never learn that EA is making the game?

NPD is NA market. The dude bro's have wallets.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Glad to see both FF7R and Ghost of Tsushima right next to each other in the top 5. They'll be in my top 5 games of the year too, no doubt.

Playstation exclusives sell well, no doubt. But this is hardly the full story. Before the year is over that list will include 3D Mario All-Stars, Cold War, NBA 2K, Cyberpunk, Avengers, probably Valhalla.

CitizenX

Banned
Fck me that is maybe the most unoriginal list of games ever. And it makes no sense without Fall guys and other titles that have sold double digit millions.

Max_Po

Banned
GOD DAM @ Animal Crossing... its like HUMANITY was waiting for that game...

I literally was about to pull my hair after 20 mins... of Animal Crossing. ..

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
But....but...bu...b... exclusives DONT MATTER!!!1!!11!!!

THEY DON'T SELL SYSTEMS!!!!!!!11!1!!!

DERP DERP

AlexxKidd

Fck me that is maybe the most unoriginal list of games ever. And it makes no sense without Fall guys and other titles that have sold double digit millions.

You do realize Fall Guys was given away for free on PlayStation if you are one of the 40-plus million people with PS+ right?

Redlancet

Banned
ok dont worry,we got it ,you are special

Stooky

ItMc5D6.jpg

Regardless of your charts, It still sits comfortably in the top 10 for 2020 so far. It probably will get another bump around the holidays. Obviously not a failure. But you know haters gonna hate.

Kerotan

Probably Sony's best year ever in terms of Software sales. They probably have other exclusives selling well outside the top 10 too. What a gen this has been. Nintendo and Sony hitting it out of the park. We're back to the good old days.

Top Bottom