• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Oct 2020: Full hardware number and top 20 best selling games of the month

Bodomism

Banned
Hardware
NSW: 736K
XB1: 68K
PS4: 39K

October 2020 video game hardware spending gained 41% when compared to a year ago, to $259 million. Growth in sales of Nintendo Switch offset declines on other console platforms. Year-to-date hardware spending totaled $2.5 billlion, 23% higher than a year ago.

Nintendo Switch set a new U.S. October hardware dollar sales record, besting the previous high set by Nintendo Wii in October 2008. Nintendo Switch has been the best-selling hardware platform in the U.S. for 23 consecutive months, also a record high.

Year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Switch hardware are the second highest of any platform in U.S. history, trailing only the 2008 year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Wii.

Top 20 Games of the month
EmtWR4ZVEAEKDw8

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Forget about the PS4 catching the PS2. Actually, the PS4 should be worried to be passed by the Switch.

Humdinger

Wow at Nintendo. Those sales are an order of magnitude higher than the other two. It's 20 times what the PS4 did.

However, it's the dawn of next gen, so very few people are going to be choosing now to buy a PS4 or Xbox.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Maybe an indication of less XSX/XSS stock compared to PS5?.
Anyway next gen is here now. If people want to waste money on last gen consoles then good for them lol.

To be honest, you get much more for each buck if you buy a last gen console now compared to 2013.

Stuart360

To be honest, you get much more for each buck if you buy a last gen console now compared to 2013.
You mean the amount of games available, and the lower price of them?.
Actually couldnt most of these be OneX stock?. People missed out on XSX so bought a OneX to tide them over.
I know the OneX has been discontinued but i'm sure there is plenty of stock out there still.

Alan Wake

You mean the amount of games available, and the lower price of them?.
Actually couldnt most of these be OneX stock?. People missed out on XSX so bought a OneX to tide them over.
I know the OneX has been discontinued but i'm sure there is plenty of stock out there still.

Where I live the One X is nowhere to be seen but I really don't know what the stock situation is like globally. I would presume it's hard to get one at this point.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I don't think Sony are in the least worried. The PS4 has been an amazing success.

We don't talk about success but sales numbers. Switch selling more than the PS4 doesn't mean it wasn't a success. Seriously -_-

Last edited:

Unknown?

Aren't PS4s in short supply? Not to mention no one in their right mind would pay $300 for one when they could get a PS5 for $400-500 a few months later.

“Watch Dogs: Legion debuted as the third best-selling game of October, despite having only three days of sales tracking in the month,” Piscatella said. “Watch Dogs: Legion was the second best-selling game of the month on Xbox platforms, and third best-selling game of the month on PlayStation platforms.

Best-Selling Games of the Year

11Call of Duty: Modern WarfareActivision Blizzard (Corp)
22Animal Crossing: New Horizons*Nintendo
34Madden NFL 21Electronic Arts
43The Last of Us: Part IISony (Corp)
55Ghost of TsushimaSony (Corp)
66Final Fantasy VII: RemakeSquare Enix (Corp)
77Marvel’s AvengersSquare Enix (Corp)
810Super Mario 3D All-Stars*Nintendo
911Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*Nintendo
108Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Best-selling games of the last 12 months

RankLast Month Rank12 Months Ending October 2020 Top 10 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital from the Nintendo eShop, PlayStation, STEAM and Xbox platforms for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel) ranked on dollar salesPublisher
11Call of Duty: Modern WarfareActivision Blizzard (Corp)
22Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen OrderElectronic Arts
33Animal Crossing: New Horizons*Nintendo
46Madden NFL 21Electronic Arts
55The Last of Us: Part IISony (Corp)
64Madden NFL 20Electronic Arts
78Ghost of TsushimaSony (Corp)
87Pokémon: Sword*Nintendo
99Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*Nintendo
1011Final Fantasy VII: Remake

Reactions: TLZ

Bodomism

Banned
Aren't PS4s in short supply? Not to mention no one in their right mind would pay $300 for one when they could get a PS5 for $400-500 a few months later.
All consoles are currently in short supply but the demand was probably wasn't big enough for Sony to restock it. This is what happened in Japan

Stock issues - Sold around 1K
Full availability - Sold around 6K

MastaKiiLA

Nintendo's approach to gaming is so interesting. I thought they'd given up when they decided to exit the power race, but they appear to have made the right decision, in favor of profitability. Really good for them. They make good games. I'm just not part of their target demo anymore.

manfestival

Modern Warfare is an absolute monster of a game. I wonder how it is going to fare knowing that CODBLOPSCW is now out. I have a feeling that CODMW is still gonna sell.

yurinka

Yikes at PS4 numbers.
I assume this is a lot of people saving their money to buy a PS5 on November or December (whenever the supply allows it), or retailers getting PS5 units instead of PS4 units that month.
They wanted fast transition of PS4 users to PS5.

PS4 leg will be sacrificed
They said they will support PS4 for 2-3 years more, and to expect more crossgen games. So no, they won't sacrify it. It must have been for other reason, maybe retailers were getting a giant shipment of PS5 so due to limited delivery and storage capacity they replaced most PS4 shipments with PS5 shipments during October to have everything ready at launch.

Last edited:
Any next gen prediction in Nov guys?

Mine would be like this
NSW - 2M
XSX - 1.6M
PS5 - 1.4M
I don't think XSX and PS5 will have so many units to sell, they are doing a worldwide launch and stock evaporated too fast. I think that they weren't able to produce a lot of consoles.

Bodomism

Banned
I don't think XSX and PS5 will have so many units to sell, they are doing a worldwide launch and stock evaporated too fast. I think that they weren't able to produce a lot of consoles.
I don't have XBO/PS4 opening number with me right now but if what had been stated by Phil Spencer is true than the shipments of XSX/S is a little bit bigger than XBO. Same to PS5 as well.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Really interested in November numbers for PS5 and Series S|X. 2021 is going to be an interesting scenario with Switch powering on and two new consoles in the mix.

lingpanda

Great Switch numbers tell me Nintendo is in no hurry to give us a Pro. No reason to fix what isn't broken will be their stance.

I don't have XBO/PS4 opening number with me right now but if what had been stated by Phil Spencer is true than the shipments of XSX/S is a little bit bigger than XBO. Same to PS5 as well.
They are launching in a lot of more countries than Xbox One. In 2013 they launched only in 13 countries, while Series X launch in 37 countries. What Phil Spencer says is probably true, but he's omitting the whole picture for PR reasons.

Samey-ish for PlayStation, but different. PS4 launched in 32 countries (not in Japan, for example, but that allowed them to allocate a lot of consoles for the late launch, while PS5 will be very supply constrained), but I don't remember how many countries will have PS5 at launch (I know that in some countries will launch between december 2020 and january 2021).

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
If only the same were true for the joycons
Yes. Also the build quality of the Switch is shit compared to past Nintendo consoles.

But my main issue is the joycons. And Nintendo were assholes about them from the start, completely unacknowledging the widespread issue like it's nonexistent. I've had sync issues from day one and later had drifting issues.

Top Bottom