• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2022 | 45% increase YoY compared to last year, PS5, Switch and then Xbox. COD #1 November and YTD, GoW #2 and Pokemon #3

Not only is the methodology suspect

The methodology you don't know but are claim is suspect, yet are directly from retailers and is cites as a source by most news outlets for the value of the data.

but looking at any one specific day without numbers makes little sense and why no one does this.

The day had numbers. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Again, you messed up there was nothing to call out, the thread had nothing to do with calling sales for November, it was a BF only thread, you also dodged, and are still dodging the other thread where the PS5 won Cyber Monday because it crashes your narrative.

Sorry, there's nothing there to argue about.

Interfectum

They're practically giving them away and they still come last place lmao.
Most game hobbyists don't get into gaming for the value as if they are going to family dollar for the latest deals. I've never understood this obsession with value during the current gen. People will gravitate towards the games and the series they want. Do sales and discounts help? Sure. But Nintendo has more then proven you don't even have the lower the price of your game, AT ALL, to sell tens of millions.

And Xbox has such an uphill battle. The brand is suffering from an identity crisis. What does being an Xbox game mean? The way Phil is buying up completely unrelated studios to me Xbox feels like Walmart.

Mat (NPD) said for the year 2022 (YTD) in USA
For units it's NSW#1, PS5#2 and XBS#3
For dollars PS5#1, XBS#2 and NSW#3
Life time it's PS5#1 and XBS#2

From IB. If XBS year to date for 2022 is still second (and in dollars) than it's likely all 3 consoles are somewhat close just like in the UK.

The two nations have difference but sometimes there's a bunch of overlap. I wouldn't be surprised if the leader of the year comes down to December in the US too.

Nintendo Switch could still be the gaming system of the year beating the two consoles if they have a strong enough December.

Gow 2018 price changes
IMG-20221210-024629.jpg

Current MSRP = 19.99 usd

Free games bundles with PS4
MTYdVm1_d.webp

Pokemon Sword and Shield current MSRP = 59.99 usd with 0 free games bundle.

We talking about GOW2018 or Ragnarok here... Believe I mentioned 70 dollars.

tkscz

What happened between the Xbox 360 and now? The 360 was the one everyone wanted in the US and for two gens in a row, Microsoft can't seem to get out of third place.

I always say this in those series s threads, the typical holiday consumer isn’t as price sensitive as people make it out to be. The “value” of the series s isn’t perceived the same way by the common non-hardcore gamer. They want the ‘hot’ product, which is the ps5 and the enthusiast that want to stay in the xbox ecosystem want the series x

It didn't help that Xbox had zero noteworthy exclusives released for the year. Some people underestimate exclusives, others overestimate them, but regardless they are still very important in helping to bolster attention to a platform especially when combined with marquee multiplats, and we've seen what that can do for both PS5 and Switch this year, and we'l see it again next year, even more so IMO.

Grounded and Pentiment just weren't going to be much of a draw regardless if they're good games.

From IB. If XBS year to date for 2022 is still second (and in dollars) than it's likely all 3 consoles are somewhat close just like in the UK.

The two nations have difference but sometimes there's a bunch of overlap. I wouldn't be surprised if the leader of the year comes down to December in the US too.

Nintendo Switch could still be the gaming system of the year beating the two consoles if they have a strong enough December.

Genuine question: does hardware revenue only specify consoles, or also include peripherals?

I'm not trying to troll; however I don't see why NPD would not track peripheral sales as well, they tracked the Kinect back in the day for 360 for example and that was classified as a peripheral. If peripherals (controllers, headsets, expansion cards in the case of Xbox Series etc.) are also included in hardware sales, then It makes the claim that general revenue between the three is somewhat close YTD.

That same claim but only WRT hardware units is harder to make, unless accounting for the reality of PS5 being heavily supply-restrained in NA for the first half of the year. We saw that in just two months with somewhat better NA supply for PS5, it overtook Xbox Series in YTD sales, and this happened back in the late summer. So it's either that, or ROTW supply outside of US & UK for PS5 is notably better than Series because I am unwavering in my own sold-through console sales estimates (which you should already know what those are, but just generally speaking sales ratio I would put at something like 1.8:1 - 2:1 in favor of PS5 globally going off those estimates).

Woopah

My main takeaways
  • I was predicting Switch would be third this month, so for it to be 2nd in units and revenue shows it still has good legs. Probably the Pokémon OLED putting in a shift
  • The overall hardware sales are probably fairly close YTD, I expect Switch to take December and 2022 as a whole
  • Multiplats are definitely important, but half of the 20 best selling games this year are first party exclusives
  • Fantastic performance from Sonic on all platforms, there was no reasonable way it would chart any higher
  • Really pleased to see how well Tactics Orge did, good legs for the Perosna 5 ports and Gotham Knights too
  • Clearly a lot of people choosing to pick up Horizon II when they get a PS5
  • 67 months after launch and BOTW is back in the top 20 without digital. Bodes very well for TOTK

damidu

i hope ms doesn’t expect people to pay more than $200 for series s after holidays.

its the issue with these desperate sales and promos, you de-value the product for good.

even with those, them being still at 3rd place doesn’t bode well tbh

Last edited:
There is nothing enticing about Xbox right now. I've owned a Series X for a while now and there is literally nothing in the semi immediate future aside from Starfield (I'm cautiously optimistic about it) that is making me feel good about owning it.

Last night (at TGA) did NOT inspire confidence. What in the actual fuck are they doing?

So no its not surprising, it's fucking embarrassing and I don't blame anyone for not jumping in. They need to do something aside from promoting GamePass, because for me, that is not enough and other people obviously feel the same way.

They need to show me something exciting and soon.

I got more last night from Quest 2 and PSVR2 than fucking Xbox, like WTF.

Think about that for a second.

I just got a series x a few weeks ago and it's biggest strength right now is BC and emulation. It's heavily lacking in the new games department and that's what they need the most. the potential is there but Microsoft need results fast!

Last edited:

XXL

I just got a series x a few weeks ago and it's biggest strength right now is BC and emulation. It's heavily lacking in the new games department and that's what they need the most. the potential is there but Microsoft need results fast!
The best time I have had with it was playing Alien Isolation and Prey, which was really great.

Unknown?

i hope ms doesn’t expect people to pay more than $200 for series s after holidays.

its the issue with these desperate sales and promos, you de-value the product for good.

Yeah it was the same in the early X1 days. They'd beat the PS4 with heavy discounts but come January it would get trounced and that led to the memes about sells only mattering during the holidays.

Ronin_7

Banned

Should be 99$.

gow3isben

Phill Spencer really showed up at the Game Awards after a year with no new releases and not a single trailer for a 2023 game. He really just stood there with a Series S and Gamepass ad and watched Sony winning most awards of the night, announcing 2 PC releases, PS5 full exclusives and timed exclusives, VR games and even DLCs announced lmao

And this was the same day his 70 billion dollar shopping spree was slapped back in his face lol

Elios83

Indeed that's the problem with these promotions. Good luck raising the price again in January especially if even with these promos sales weren't as good as expected and they still ended in last place.
The product is devalued and people are going to wait until the next deal.

Handel

Switch going to win in units for another year, since December is the month Nintendo goes hardest in. PS5's and XS's only hopes to win in units for a YTD might be during the transition between Switch and it's successor. Nintendo first party already looking pretty strong next year though and we only have a few confirmed games, with Nintendo having a shorter than most announce to release window.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to troll; however I don't see why NPD would not track peripheral sales as well, they tracked the Kinect back in the day for 360 for example and that was classified as a peripheral.

that was because of the record breaking popularity and spotlight put on it as a big push by Microsoft and other partners. They also tracked the Wii Fit board for similar reasons.

If peripherals (controllers, headsets, expansion cards in the case of Xbox Series etc.) are also included in hardware sales, then It makes the claim that general revenue between the three is somewhat close YTD.

No it's only for consoles, the accessories are tracked separately, as are any VR headsets, and of course the game software which is also separately tracked between digital and physical.

Unknown?

Switch going to win in units for another year, since December is the month Nintendo goes hardest in. PS5's and XS's only hopes to win in units for a YTD might be during the transition between Switch and it's successor. Nintendo first party already looking pretty strong next year though and we only have a few confirmed games, with Nintendo having a shorter than most announce to release window.
Nah it's losing steam. It's like when Switch launched it took awhile before PS4 was behind consistently.

Lasha

What happened between the Xbox 360 and now? The 360 was the one everyone wanted in the US and for two gens in a row, Microsoft can't seem to get out of third place.

Microsoft stumbled with a weird xbone announcement. Sony became the defacto fifa/cod platform. Whichever platform is seen as default for the big games generally leads in sales. Exclusives barely register. Except for Nintendo which basically carries itself.

Handel

Nah it's losing steam. It's like when Switch launched it took awhile before PS4 was behind consistently.
Switch successor likely comes out next year or 2024 at the latest, but unless Nintendo really bungles it the Switch successor will sell like hotcakes as well. Issue will mainly be how quickly they can manufacture the new system. The Switch hasn't even seen a single official price drop yet, it could potentially win 2023 just off of a price drop+strong line-up.

They were giving away Series S with a six pack in every licor store on the country and they still finished 3rd.
I was under the impression that NPD works on dollar value, so doesnt a that sort of ruin your joke?

But seriously, I dont think people want a weak version of a console, especially one without a disk drive. The S was a gimmick, I thought to win the price war, it seems MS have actually made more of these things than people ever really wanted.

Last edited:

Mozza

Hardware
Strong hardware performance in the month of November (45% increase vs. year ago to $1.3 billion) was due primarily to a significant increase in PlayStation 5 volume when compared to a year ago. PlayStation 5 was November’s best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch ranked 2nd across both measures. PlayStation 5 remains the best-selling hardware platform of 2022 in year-to-date dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch leads in units.

Nice to see the Switch still shifting the most units, and 6 years in, looks like that Wii style drop off in sales never happened. Not so sure outside of the core, that a Pro or Switch 2 is that much of a necessity.

Last edited:
Hardware
Strong hardware performance in the month of November (45% increase vs. year ago to $1.3 billion) was due primarily to a significant increase in PlayStation 5 volume when compared to a year ago. PlayStation 5 was November’s best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch ranked 2nd across both measures. PlayStation 5 remains the best-selling hardware platform of 2022 in year-to-date dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch leads in units.

Nice to see the Switch still shifting the most units, and 6 years in, looks like that Wii style drop off in sales never happened. Not so sure outside of the core, that a Pro or Switch 2 is that much of a necessity.

Playstation was second for the year? If true that's pretty impressive given how much cheaper the rivals are.

I was under the impression that NPD works on dollar value, so doesnt a that sort of ruin your joke?

But seriously, I dont think people want a weak version of a console, especially one without a disk drive. The S was a gimmick, I thought to win the price war, it seems MS have actually made more of these things than people ever really wanted.

Xbox finished last in BOTH units and revenue

Woopah

Hardware

A new model will be necessity / bonus for Nintendo, because they want to keep improving their third party support. They've made a huge amount of progress in the last 5 years, but if they want to keep progressing and not risk slipping backwards then they need something capable of getting current gen ports in the not too distant future.

A new model will be necessity / bonus for Nintendo, because they want to keep improving their third party support. They've made a huge amount of progress in the last 5 years, but if they want to keep progressing and not risk slipping backwards then they need something capable of getting current gen ports in the not too distant future.

They would need to make a portable console in the performance range of Series S. Not easy at all

Last edited:

gow3isben

Series S was a desperate ploy to close the gap all the while sacrificing gaming as a whole by mandating multiplatform developers still cater to that weak ass machine in modern times.

Glad people see it for what it is. Even if Microsoft gives it away for 99 dollars with a stack of complementary British Shortbread Cookies with each console it still can't compete with the Ragnarok train.

It is about single player exclusives. Not gimmicks like a weaker, cheaper machine. Flashier UI. Online features. Or even Gamepass.

Jim Ryan don't forget that too. With your focus on live service you are literally losing the pillar which held Playstation up the past 5 generations. Lose it and Playstation will fall. 90% of your effort should be on single player games. Only a fraction on other crap.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Most game hobbyists don't get into gaming for the value as if they are going to family dollar for the latest deals. I've never understood this obsession with value during the current gen. People will gravitate towards the games and the series they want. Do sales and discounts help? Sure. But Nintendo has more then proven you don't even have the lower the price of your game, AT ALL, to sell tens of millions.

And Xbox has such an uphill battle. The brand is suffering from an identity crisis. What does being an Xbox game mean? The way Phil is buying up completely unrelated studios to me Xbox feels like Walmart.
I was gonna mention them still having an uphill battle, but the last time I did, almost 3 months ago, I got into a debate with some about the definition of uphill battle.

Good luck, lol.

Elios83

I'll always call this Console a piece of garbage.

MS should be printing Series Xs but apparently they are having trouble building those.
It's not that they have troubles but the XSX main chip is quite big so with their allocation of wafers they could make much less consoles.
They used the trick to shift production to Series S to get more units into the market and that was a smart move last year when Sony was hit by shortages and didn't have a similar option.
The problem for them is that now that shortages are being put behind, the console isn't considered that attractive for its intended purpose, a cheap hardware entry point for a casual audience that doesn't care about graphics and resolution to drive gamepass subscription growth. But with Gamepass growth slowing down and missing targets plus the console at 200$ not being able to beat a 550$ bundle it's clear that if Microsoft doesn't fix their games issues they won't go anywhere.

zzill3

Banned
Series S was a desperate ploy to close the gap all the while sacrificing gaming as a whole by mandating multiplatform developers still cater to that weak ass machine in modern times.

Glad people see it for what it is. Even if Microsoft gives it away for 99 dollars with a stack of complementary British Shortbread Cookies with each console it still can't compete with the Ragnarok train.

It is about single player exclusives. Not gimmicks like a weaker, cheaper machine. Flashier UI. Online features. Or even Gamepass.

Jim Ryan don't forget that too. With your focus on live service you are literally losing the pillar which held Playstation up the past 5 generations. Lose it and Playstation will fall. 90% of your effort should be on single player games. Only a fraction on other crap.

You can’t legitimately complain about the series S being weak and sacrificing gaming while promoting Ragnarok.
Ragnarok is a PS4 game.

Unknown?

Switch successor likely comes out next year or 2024 at the latest, but unless Nintendo really bungles it the Switch successor will sell like hotcakes as well. Issue will mainly be how quickly they can manufacture the new system. The Switch hasn't even seen a single official price drop yet, it could potentially win 2023 just off of a price drop+strong line-up.
I agree but Nintendo released a more expensive model rather than just replacing the standard model with a better one. I don't see a price cut being very realistic.

Deep price cuts seem to be a thing of the past, PS4 is still $299 and the Pro is still $399(same as a PS5 digital).

My point was it's aging and it's inevitable it will be slowing down, even if there was no competition.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I was gonna mention them still having an uphill battle, but the last time I did, almost 3 months ago, I got into a debate with some about the definition of uphill battle.

Good luck, lol.
I went to a 4 pages debate with someone that couldn't understand that GOW Ragnarok hadn't been delayed to 2023(after its release date was confirmed)....Imagine how hard it can be for people like them to understand the sheer concept of a uphill battle.

Top Bottom