• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2022 Results - More info tomorrow

My prediction for today.

1) xbox post relatively flat results (hw up or flat, software down)
2) people blame gamepass
3) 2 weeks later, we see similar numbers from Sony/Nintendo
4) we move on.
How is Sony software going to be down with GT7, Horizon and Elden Ring all selling so well? I don't see how. Hardware on the other hand, might be looking pretty grim.

Last edited:
My prediction for today.

2) people blame gamepass
4) we move on.
PlayStation's software down? With God of War (PC), Uncharted Collection (PS5), Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5), Gran Turismo 7 (PS4/PS5), MLB The Show (PS4/PS5/Xbox/Switch)? Miles Morales is still top 20 of the best sellers of 2022 so far in the USA at least.

We're about to have one of the best quarters for software ever on Playstation ...

reksveks

How is Sony software going to be down with GT7, Horizon and Elden Ring all selling so well? I don't see how. Hardware on the other hand, might be looking pretty grim.
PlayStation's software down? With God of War (PC), Uncharted Collection (PS5), Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/PS5), Gran Turismo 7 (PS4/PS5), MLB The Show (PS4/PS5/Xbox/Switch)? Miles Morales is still top 20 of the best sellers of 2022 so far in the USA at least.

We're about to have one of the best quarters for software ever on Playstation ...

3rd party sales I suspect is going to be the thing that makes it still down in total but it's possible that GT7 and Horizon keeps them relatively healthy in comparison to the other platform holders.

In the last two years, the largest that first party sales has been is 18.2% of full game sales (when ps5 launched, they sold 19m units of first party games) and full game sales was 44% of software sales in that quarter.

Previous Q4 was 8m unit, which they would easily smash this year.

DLC was 70% of software (345572m jpy total ~3.4bn usd, 236919 jpy dlc~2.4bn usd)
Full game sales would have been roughly 1bn usd.

Might be closer looking at the numbers. I think the other thing that might throw the numbers off is the jpy weakening in the last two months.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Launch years have always been pivotal. There are no signs the supply situation is getting better either. Nearly two years out.

Acting like this is a nothing burger is insane. Sony could have double to triple the PS5 installbase right now. These years are going to significantly affect the generation.
I just piled on by picking up an Xbox Series X for my son's 10th birthday. The Roman numeral for 10 is X, so I thought it was fitting.

3rd party sales I suspect is going to be the thing that makes it still down in total but it's possible that GT7 and Horizon keeps them relatively healthy in comparison to the other platform holders.

In the last two years, the largest that first party sales has been is 18.2% of full game sales (when ps5 launched, they sold 19m units of first party games) and full game sales was 44% of software sales in that quarter.
Oh i thought you meant Sony as a publisher would have its numbers down. You're probably right if that includes 3rd party sales. Still Sony is about to have some great numbers this quarter. Hardware is the only thing that's going to hurt.

reksveks

Oh i thought you meant Sony as a publisher would have its numbers down. You're probably right if that includes 3rd party sales. Still Sony is about to have some great numbers this quarter. Hardware is the only thing that's going to hurt.
Yeah, as a publisher its going to be gang busters. 19m feels a little bit of a stretch but i would guess around 16/17m.

I use full software numbers cause that's sadly only what we are going to get today.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeah we've been over that, and it's a really weak response. I'll explain why. Again.

They didn't really have many games, and some of them they really had no hand in creating.

There was Halo (which is a bad game IMO, and I can easily enumerate why. But why wait for me? Go look at what the fans are saying in the Halo threads), and it's basically dead at this point.

Age of Empires, Not an Xbox game. Do not care about that here. I used to like this game when I had a PC but I'm not into RTS anymore, and again ... you're talking Xbox, and this is not Xbox.

Then there was Flight Sim. IMO, this is not a good console game. Have you even played it? I have. It's clearly a PC game shoehorned into a console and it shows. It also doesn't look nearly as good as some people like to claim. The pop in, the shifting of landscapes as you fly around, and terrible detail as you reduce your altitude ... it is what it is. A flying sim for people who are serious about ... flying sims. I don't for a second believe the Xbox warriors here are firing up FS and putting in hours and hours on the title.

Forza is not my thing. It's cool for people that it is I'm sure. Xbox has something here for sure.

Psychonauts 2 is incredibly average and felt low budget to me. The guise of the story is just not that clever. Things like, fighting doubts and regrets and how the levels work ... they are obvious things to do given the subject matter, and the gameplay just was not tight at all IMO.

Those five games are your entire list for the year. On top of that, one of them was purchased by MS well into dev, one is not really a game, one is a complete disappointment, and one isn't even on Xbox.

You can cling to the idea that this merits a "publisher of the year" from a site like Meteoritic, but since I actually own and play all of these platforms and games I will reiterate that Xbox continues to be, for me, the most disappointing console ecosystem I own by far. To the point where I am considering selling mine off and getting again IF Starfield is worth playing, but we will see. I sold my PS5 last year and regretted it and bought it again, so not sure I want to do that with Xbox yet.

I don't even know what Sony had last year, or what their total score is, but they had 10 unique releases compared to MS's 5 and Returnal absolutely spanked anything released by MS (and Nintendo) last year. Again, you have to play these things in depth to get it. Not just play console warrior games on forums and such. I'm here for the games. That's why I can say things like "publisher of the year" means absolutely nothing when the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is bland and has an odd skin on top. Sorta like that year "Shakespeare in Love" won Best Picture. Nobody takes that stuff seriously.

Think about it. If you need to point to an award from a site that means nothing as proof that your system of preference is doing well, while gamers are like "just look at the cavalcade of games coming out on Switch and Playstation" ... don't you think that might mean something? If you don't understand what I mean, just take a little time to think about it.
Xbox winning NDP but u owning 2022 entirely with the dumbest post

MonarchJT

Banned

and given the production problems Sony have to quicky push the PC versions on day one and leave behind the fanboy who do not want to accept the end of console exclusives.

and given the production problems Sony have to quicky push the PC versions on day one and leave behind the fanboy who do not want to accept the end of console exclusives.
Imagine if Sony gets a PS launcher on PC...where you can buy your games and play them on PS consoles + PC. This will be where we will be in 5 to 10 years. Their subscription service will be available there as well almost for sure.

As long as Sony keeps their main focus on their consoles as in, look at the current hardware they have and focusing on that first, then it's all good. I mean they are still a hardware company and PS consoles are their best selling pieces of hardware so they won't give up on that. These production problems won't be here forever as well. The main issues have probably peaked anyway even if things won't be great for a while.

Launch years have always been pivotal. There are no signs the supply situation is getting better either. Nearly two years out.

Acting like this is a nothing burger is insane. Sony could have double to triple the PS5 installbase right now. These years are going to significantly affect the generation.
What? PS5 is at around 20M by now...You expected the PS5 to be at 60M in a year and half? lmao
PS5 is like 4M behind the PS4 so far.

These companies can't produce unlimited units like that. You expected Sony to produce 30M PS5 per year now? That's crazy talk even without production issues. No one expected that. No one even expected the PS5 to be over 40M after a year and half. Even Nintendo with an outdated hardware for the Switch managed more than 30M...imagine Sony for the PS5.

Papacheeks

Banned

Previous Q4 was 8m unit, which they would easily smash this year.

DLC was 70% of software (345572m jpy total ~3.4bn usd, 236919 jpy dlc~2.4bn usd)
Full game sales would have been roughly 1bn usd.

Might be closer looking at the numbers. I think the other thing that might throw the numbers off is the jpy weakening in the last two months.

Every time there is stock for PS5's we see their games chart. And those numbers for most sold software, show GT7 and Forbidden west charting on top of Miles morales still in top 20.

So real story will be when stock drops start coming more frequently to retailers, and direct to consumer sites. If we see consistently like we have with software from Sony charting everytime there is a stock drop of PS5's somewhere then I think it proves that people are still wanting PS5's more so than Xbox. It's just XBox is more in stock than PS5's and I would say that PS5 still is the more sought after hardware.

Especially when you look at second hand market prices still being $800 range for PS5's.

Microsoft is reaping the rewards for Sony not having enough stock. But until we see gamepass numbers, the story still is PS5 is the more sought after hardware and their games are selling every time their is stock in hardware. Which we can't say the same for Microsoft.

Topher

Gold Member
What aged like milk are Xbox threads from 2015/16.

Threads from six/seven years ago aged like milk?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

reksveks

Every time there is stock for PS5's we see their games chart. And those numbers for most sold software, show GT7 and Forbidden west charting on top of Miles morales still in top 20.

So real story will be when stock drops start coming more frequently to retailers, and direct to consumer sites. If we see consistently like we have with software from Sony charting everytime there is a stock drop of PS5's somewhere then I think it proves that people are still wanting PS5's more so than Xbox. It's just XBox is more in stock than PS5's and I would say that PS5 still is the more sought after hardware.

Especially when you look at second hand market prices still being $800 range for PS5's.

Microsoft is reaping the rewards for Sony not having enough stock. But until we see gamepass numbers, the story still is PS5 is the more sought after hardware and their games are selling every time their is stock in hardware. Which we can't say the same for Microsoft.
I also think that the ps5 is more in demand.

Didn't say otherwise.

Orbital2060

Yeah we've been over that, and it's a really weak response. I'll explain why. Again.

They didn't really have many games, and some of them they really had no hand in creating.

There was Halo (which is a bad game IMO, and I can easily enumerate why. But why wait for me? Go look at what the fans are saying in the Halo threads), and it's basically dead at this point.

Age of Empires, Not an Xbox game. Do not care about that here. I used to like this game when I had a PC but I'm not into RTS anymore, and again ... you're talking Xbox, and this is not Xbox.

Then there was Flight Sim. IMO, this is not a good console game. Have you even played it? I have. It's clearly a PC game shoehorned into a console and it shows. It also doesn't look nearly as good as some people like to claim. The pop in, the shifting of landscapes as you fly around, and terrible detail as you reduce your altitude ... it is what it is. A flying sim for people who are serious about ... flying sims. I don't for a second believe the Xbox warriors here are firing up FS and putting in hours and hours on the title.

Forza is not my thing. It's cool for people that it is I'm sure. Xbox has something here for sure.

Psychonauts 2 is incredibly average and felt low budget to me. The guise of the story is just not that clever. Things like, fighting doubts and regrets and how the levels work ... they are obvious things to do given the subject matter, and the gameplay just was not tight at all IMO.

Those five games are your entire list for the year. On top of that, one of them was purchased by MS well into dev, one is not really a game, one is a complete disappointment, and one isn't even on Xbox.

You can cling to the idea that this merits a "publisher of the year" from a site like Meteoritic, but since I actually own and play all of these platforms and games I will reiterate that Xbox continues to be, for me, the most disappointing console ecosystem I own by far. To the point where I am considering selling mine off and getting again IF Starfield is worth playing, but we will see. I sold my PS5 last year and regretted it and bought it again, so not sure I want to do that with Xbox yet.

I don't even know what Sony had last year, or what their total score is, but they had 10 unique releases compared to MS's 5 and Returnal absolutely spanked anything released by MS (and Nintendo) last year. Again, you have to play these things in depth to get it. Not just play console warrior games on forums and such. I'm here for the games. That's why I can say things like "publisher of the year" means absolutely nothing when the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is bland and has an odd skin on top. Sorta like that year "Shakespeare in Love" won Best Picture. Nobody takes that stuff seriously.

Think about it. If you need to point to an award from a site that means nothing as proof that your system of preference is doing well, while gamers are like "just look at the cavalcade of games coming out on Switch and Playstation" ... don't you think that might mean something? If you don't understand what I mean, just take a little time to think about it.
1364e4eb-6292-4c89-be6jae.jpeg

My prediction for today.

2) people blame gamepass
4) we move on.
Hardware will be up by a lot. High double digit percentage.
Software will be down, that's most likely correct. Elden Ring was the only big game in the quarter.

reksveks

Hardware will be up by a lot. High double digit percentage.
Software will be down, that's most likely correct. Elden Ring was the only big game in the quarter.
I was kinda hedging my bet, UK and US are still down across all the platform holders. It is possible for xbox to be up by double figures and Sony to be down enough (should be roughly 33% globally) and the numbers make sense.

Chukhopops

Thanks for stating your opinion!

Doesn’t change any facts or any established numbers at all though.

Topher

Gold Member

Microsoft published those games and so they get the publisher accolades. I don't see the problem with that. I also don't get the downplay of the individual games because you personally didn't care for them. This isn't about any one person's opinion of the games. Yeah, it is just five games, but they are five damn good games according to the only metric that matters to metacritic: overall review scores. If Microsoft had made more shitty games then.....what? They would not have been publisher of the year? Thought that was the entire point.

Last edited:

MScarpa

Clearly, the Ps5's shipments will get a lot better and it will be number one on all the charts again.

In their financial forecast, Sony said that the first quarter would be very poor for consoles.
Gotcha. Okay. Well I'm happy for everyone that purchased Sony stock. I wasn't aware it was so important who was "winning"

Sony did forecast very low shipments for the quarter. So nobody should be surprised. Of course, console warriors acting like this is the Death of playstation.

Hezekiah

Banned
What makes you think Redfall will bomb lol? Because you want it to? It's probably going to end up being Arkane's most successful game ever because of Game Pass and the hype for a next-gen only Xbox exclusive.
Four player vampire hunter -co-op game, where the devs refuse to show any gameplay footage.

GamePass btw doesn't automatically games successful either. Arkane have made really good games like Dishonoured and Prey which didn't sell particularly well. Redfall is likely to sell even less, but then again I can't remember if sales matter this week, or if it's just about number of players - like that is guaranteed because something is 'free'.

Four player vampire hunter -co-op game, where the devs refuse to show any gameplay footage.

GamePass btw doesn't automatically games successful either. Arkane have made really good games like Dishonoured and Prey which didn't sell particularly well. Redfall is likely to sell even less, but then again I can't remember if sales matter this week, or if it's just about number of players - like that is guaranteed because something is 'free'.

I feel like there are soooooo many damn vampire hunting co-op games now, like damn. Where’s the originality? At least make them werewolves or something, anything else but zombies and vampires

johnjohn

Of course Game Pass doesn't guarantee success, the games have to actually be good. But as you mentioned, Arkane has a great track record so they're primed to have a big success with Redfall on Game Pass. Again, it kind of just sounds like you really want Redfall to be a failure but can't come up with any actual reason for why it's going to be a failure.

Sales are only a portion of the equation for Xbox games, as players and Game Pass subscribers are more important to MS' strategy.
I feel like there are soooooo many damn vampire hunting co-op games now, like damn. Where’s the originality? At least make them werewolves or something, anything else but zombies and vampires
Interesting, I've never played a co-op vampire hunting game before and I can't really think of any. And I definitely can't think of any co-op vampire hunting immersive sims.

Edit- Actually it's kind of funny, if you google "vampire hunting co-op games" Redfall is all that comes up.

Last edited:

Goalus

My prediction for today.

2) people blame gamepass
4) we move on.

I'd say both hardware and software will be up yoy for MS.

Threads from six/seven years ago aged like milk?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Like milk, like eggs, whatever...
A lot of what was said and anticipated by Xbox critics back then turned out to be false.

Of course Game Pass doesn't guarantee success, the games have to actually be good. But as you mentioned, Arkane has a great track record so they're primed to have a big success with Redfall on Game Pass. Again, it kind of just sounds like you really want Redfall to be a failure but can't come up with any actual reason for why it's going to be a failure.

Sales are only a portion of the equation for Xbox games, as players and Game Pass subscribers are more important to MS' strategy.

Interesting, I've never played a co-op vampire hunting game before and I can't really think of any. And I definitely can't think of any co-op vampire hunting immersive sims.

Edit- Actually it's kind of funny, if you google "vampire hunting co-op games" Redfall is all that comes up.

One is literally coming out tomorrow, and i doubt you googled it and it wouldn’t be the first result.

I swear some of y'all just can't stand it if Xbox has a good news item or two in a day lol.

Yes, because xbox fans have been so modest about sales the past two months, right?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'd say both hardware and software will be up yoy for MS.

Like milk, like eggs, whatever...
A lot of what was said and anticipated by Xbox critics back then turned out to be false.

No, it wasn't. Most of the criticism of Xbox back then was dead on. Remember, this was before MS started adding studios or even came up with Game Pass. A hell of a lot has changed since 2015/2016 and this is because of steps taken by Phil Spencer to correct the severe problems Xbox faced. In fact, if I were to say anyone had it wrong back then it was the fervent Xbox supporters.

johnjohn

One is literally coming out tomorrow, and i doubt you googled it and it wouldn’t be the first result.

Yes, because xbox fans have been so modest about sales the past two months, right?
No, there is no vampire hunting coop game coming out tomorrow. You know you could easily Google it yourself before you post..

No, there is no vampire hunting coop game coming out tomorrow. You know you could easily Google it yourself before you post..

This must be some weird fever dream we’re all sharing

johnjohn

This must be some weird fever dream we’re all sharing

A f2p battle royale game is not a co-op vampire hunting game lol. How is that game similar to Redfall in any way other than both having vampires in them.

No, it wasn't. Most of the criticism of Xbox back then was dead on. Remember, this was before MS started adding studios or even came up with Game Pass. A hell of a lot has changed since 2015/2016 and this is because of steps taken by Phil Spencer to correct the severe problems Xbox faced. In fact, if I were to say anyone had it wrong back then it was the fervent Xbox supporters.
What did fervent Xbox supporters say? The one thing they were laughed at was saying that MS would soon get more games out for the system or that the next show would be more hopeful. It was a meme then and still is now. 'Xbox has no games' is still recited to this day. I have a hard time saying they were wrong seeing how you acknowledged more studio acquisitions and services like Game pass are now available.

CosmicComet

It really feels like by the time Sony has figured out their supply chain issues, MS will have already hit their stride with their now much larger number of 1st party studios.

Edit: woah there are people that are actually hyping Redfall? I'm sorry but it looks like complete and utter trash. Arkane could do so much better than this ugly fucking game.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned

It's something new for Arkane, very different to the games I mentioned, so I wouldn't say they are 'primed' to have big success with it.

And no I don't want it to fail as I will likely subscribe to GP at the end of the year to play Starfield.

And by the same token it seems like your desperately making assumptions about how it will be a success. Maybe it will, but I think it will flop, and I think that's one reason why so little has been said and shown about it by the devs.

johnjohn

It's something new for Arkane, very different to the games I mentioned, so I wouldn't say they are 'primed' to have big success with it.

And no I don't want it to fail as I will likely subscribe to GP at the end of the year to play Starfield.

And by the same token it seems like your desperately making assumptions about how it will be a success. Maybe it will, but I think it will flop, and I think that's one reason why so little has been said and shown about it by the devs.
Sure thing, well we likely only have to wait about a month and a bit to see the game, but an open world vampire hunting immersive sim from Arkane sounds far from a flop to me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

To be fair, you're comparing a game from Arkane, a renowned award winning developer.

With a game from Sharkmob, an unknown studio with the battle royale game being their first.

The automatic expectation is that whatever Arkane is making will be a lot better polished.

This will clearly be Arkanes first critical Bomba

Seems like they were reaching for the stars to stay afloat like most 3rd party publishers with a GAAS offering.

Topher

Gold Member
What did fervent Xbox supporters say? The one thing they were laughed at was saying that MS would soon get more games out for the system or that the next show would be more hopeful. It was a meme then and still is now. 'Xbox has no games' is still recited to this day. I have a hard time saying they were wrong seeing how you acknowledged more studio acquisitions and services like Game pass are now available.

You summed it up pretty well. It wasn't a good time for Xbox fans in 2015/16. The games were just not there and third party games were noticeably inferior on Xbox compared to PS4. And then in January 2017 the gut punch of Scalebound being cancelled was announced. That summer, however, Game Pass was unveiled and the following year the acquisitions of Ninja Theory, Playground, and the rest were announced. And then Xbox One X was released in November 2017 which, although not making a massive difference in sales, highlighted a massive change in design philosophy from the original Xbox One. I'd say 2017 was the year things began to turn around for Xbox.

Today, of course, is a monumentally different story from what I'd say was the darkest years for Xbox outside of RROD.

Last edited:
Redfall isn't GAAS. It's more like a Borderlands, story based looter shooter.

But I understand why you want it to fail. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I dont want it to fail, i like Arkane but not these type of games. It seems like one comes out every other month on gamepass

And i saw from the leaks there is a storefront in the menu’s so im pretty sure it is a service game

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
To be fair, you're comparing a game from Arkane, a renowned award winning developer.

With a game from Sharkmob, an unknown studio with the battle royale game being their first.

The automatic expectation is that whatever Arkane is making will be a lot better polished.
No I wasn't talking about Blood Hunt.

I was comparing Redfall being a very different game to Prey and Dishonoured.

I do think MS are benefitting a ton from PS5 (and now potentially Switch) shortages for sure, but they also deserve some credit for some of the things they've been doing well just on their own, too. Mainly, in this period of the year where people are probably short on cash after the holiday season, and before tax returns come through, MS having stuff like the All-Access program and, yes, GamePass (including the various deals) are probably giving them a boost in addition to lack of supply from competitors.

That will most likely change relatively quickly and suddenly going into the second half of the year, but for now and April, possibly even May, I can see Xbox being the higher seller in pure hardware between it and PS5 in US & UK markets. That will probably start changing beginning around June, though, since Sony probably wants enough stock to go around once they relaunch PS+ and also to ride off momentum gained from their June E3-style showcase.

Also I just took a look and yeah, PS5 resell prices have actually gone down a bit. Like a month ago I would see Disc models going new for $900+, a bit before that some going for as much as $1200. There must've been some big drops for PS5 in April after all.

I was kinda hedging my bet, UK and US are still down across all the platform holders. It is possible for xbox to be up by double figures and Sony to be down enough (should be roughly 33% globally) and the numbers make sense.

Are you saying PS's numbers will be down 33% globally for the quarter, or am I misreading that? I know their hardware sales have been quite low in US & parts of Europe due to lack of chips, but haven't they been trying to get a good spread of supply to other foreign markets at the same time?

Or is that 33% down based on their reduced shipment forecast? I could believe that; PS division as a whole I don't think would be anywhere near that far down. At worst, they should just remain flat quarter-over-quarter.

Isn't there another vampire co-op game coming for PS5 (and maybe PS4) this year? It was shown in their September showcase last year.

Anyway about Arkane & Redfall...I'm optimistic on Redfall, but some of the latest rumors are it's less like Borderlands and more like Back4Blood, which came and went pretty quickly. I also doubt a game like Redfall (or Deathloop, for that matter) is going to bring in a big influx of new GP subscribers on its own. We saw something of what peak of new subs 1P games could bring in with FH5 and Halo Infinite late last year, and total growth in sub base that year from the one before was 7 million.

So realistically, how many new subs do you think RedFall will bring in? Does anyone have any guesses for how many the combination of RedFall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport 8/reboot could bring in (since those are the only 1P MS games that will most likely release this year)? Do you think it will be more or equal to the 7 million we saw the previous year that also had Forza Horizon 5 (keep in mind the FH series is more popular than the mainline one) and Halo Infinite (which is basically MS's marquee IP....if only in name and maybe not for much longer by the time some of these other big IP have new releases)?

reksveks

Are you saying PS's numbers will be down 33% globally for the quarter, or am I misreading that? I know their hardware sales have been quite low in US & parts of Europe due to lack of chips, but haven't they been trying to get a good spread of supply to other foreign markets at the same time?

Or is that 33% down based on their reduced shipment forecast? I could believe that; PS division as a whole I don't think would be anywhere near that far down. At worst, they should just remain flat quarter-over-quarter.
Sorry, just referring to hw shipments not revenue. I think hw revenue shouldnt be down that much cause of I think there is more disc version this q than the previous year.

I think revenue will down a little bit but let me check what happens if software is flat and HW is down around 25-30%.

HW down 25% would require a 10% increase in total SW revenue
HW down 30% would require a 12% increase in total SW revenue

Last edited:
Top Bottom