• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2022 Results - More info tomorrow

Yeah, that April drop on Amazon push them to 32 ytd. Series x is 41st and Series s is 20th

As i was mentioning...another drop. This time on Sony Direct.
Actually 3 million worldwide in a non holiday quarter is pretty good, 2 million is slightly disappointing but far from Abysmal. Abysmal is 500k or below like what the Wii U was selling most quarters.
I mean...it depends. Wii U was selling 500k and the console was available everywhere. People just didn't want them.

PS5 is selling 2M a quarter when if you had 10M available they would probably sell out. That's the problem. One had a demand issue...the other one is supply.

MScarpa

It was actually back in 2010 during the "Playstation Family" obscurity of sales numbers.

I remember when it changed. It was a big deal. We actually would still get leaks for a little bit afterwards. If i remember correctly. Good times. When you had to have a real email address to sign up.

Topher

Gold Member
It was actually back in 2010 during the "Playstation Family" obscurity of sales numbers.

Huh? The change that was being referred to was reporting dollar and unit sales amounts separately. The change you are linking to was different.

Edit: And what does NPD have to do with 'the "Playstation Family" obscurity of sales numbers"? Is that referring to when Sony decided to report PS2,PS3,Vita, and PSP together? If so, that has nothing to do with NPD.

Last edited:
UtR97HR.jpg

Luckily your opinion isn't important to anyone but you.
Such a succinct and accurate response. Facts matter and Xbox wasn't getting publisher of the year accolades during the X1 generation. The platform is objectively better than before and Phil has been a large part of that. People's feelings thankfully don't matter, results do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
UtR97HR.jpg

Luckily your opinion isn't important to anyone but you.
And going by that chart it was across many games. It's not like they released only 1 or 2 games and coasted off that. Here's the top 10 list too. Nobody was even close.

• 1) Microsoft / Xbox Game Studios – 87.4 (last year: 6th)
  • 2) Sony – 81.3 (last year: 4th)
  • 3) Humble Games – 80.9 (last year: 18th)
  • 4) Activision Blizzard – 80.6 (last year: 5th)
  • 5) Bethesda Softworks – 80.2 (last year: 16th)
  • 6) Capcom – 80.6 (last year: 3rd)
  • 7) Bandai Namco – 78.5 (last year: 38th)
  • 8) Sega – 77.6 (last year: 1st)
  • 9) Electronic Arts – 78.3 (last year: 21st)
  • 10) 505 Games – 75.7 (last year: 13th)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate. Doesn't sound right for it to be in such short supply in March.

Great month for Xbox though.
This could be what's happening. Microsoft already made quite a bit of investment to get Series games running in the cloud. Sony may be diverting chips for rack builds in preparation for an expanded PS Plus.

dcmk7

Banned
Such a succinct and accurate response. Facts matter and Xbox wasn't getting publisher of the year accolades during the X1 generation. The platform is objectively better than before and Phil has been a large part of that. People's feelings thankfully don't matter, results do.
Someone responded with a very thoughtful answer to the questions you had raised.. of which you're unable to respond to so instead you resort to hide behind a troll post from the biggest div on the site?

So much for arguing in good faith :pie_eyeroll:

That wasn't the $ change I was talking about.

dcmk7

Banned
And going by that chart it was across many games. It's not like they released only 1 or 2 games and coasted off that. Here's the top 10 list too. Nobody was even close.

Think you've missed the point of what the user was actually suggesting.

Super impressive for a company that hasn't released a game in 9 years was it? Some people just personally hate MS and it doesn't matter what they do the salt will continue. As Riky Riky said their feelings don't matter and thank goodness for that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah we've been over that, and it's a really weak response. I'll explain why. Again.

They didn't really have many games, and some of them they really had no hand in creating.

There was Halo (which is a bad game IMO, and I can easily enumerate why. But why wait for me? Go look at what the fans are saying in the Halo threads), and it's basically dead at this point.

Age of Empires, Not an Xbox game. Do not care about that here. I used to like this game when I had a PC but I'm not into RTS anymore, and again ... you're talking Xbox, and this is not Xbox.

Then there was Flight Sim. IMO, this is not a good console game. Have you even played it? I have. It's clearly a PC game shoehorned into a console and it shows. It also doesn't look nearly as good as some people like to claim. The pop in, the shifting of landscapes as you fly around, and terrible detail as you reduce your altitude ... it is what it is. A flying sim for people who are serious about ... flying sims. I don't for a second believe the Xbox warriors here are firing up FS and putting in hours and hours on the title.

Forza is not my thing. It's cool for people that it is I'm sure. Xbox has something here for sure.

Psychonauts 2 is incredibly average and felt low budget to me. The guise of the story is just not that clever. Things like, fighting doubts and regrets and how the levels work ... they are obvious things to do given the subject matter, and the gameplay just was not tight at all IMO.

Those five games are your entire list for the year. On top of that, one of them was purchased by MS well into dev, one is not really a game, one is a complete disappointment, and one isn't even on Xbox.

You can cling to the idea that this merits a "publisher of the year" from a site like Meteoritic, but since I actually own and play all of these platforms and games I will reiterate that Xbox continues to be, for me, the most disappointing console ecosystem I own by far. To the point where I am considering selling mine off and getting again IF Starfield is worth playing, but we will see. I sold my PS5 last year and regretted it and bought it again, so not sure I want to do that with Xbox yet.

I don't even know what Sony had last year, or what their total score is, but they had 10 unique releases compared to MS's 5 and Returnal absolutely spanked anything released by MS (and Nintendo) last year. Again, you have to play these things in depth to get it. Not just play console warrior games on forums and such. I'm here for the games. That's why I can say things like "publisher of the year" means absolutely nothing when the proof is in the pudding and the pudding is bland and has an odd skin on top. Sorta like that year "Shakespeare in Love" won Best Picture. Nobody takes that stuff seriously.

Think about it. If you need to point to an award from a site that means nothing as proof that your system of preference is doing well, while gamers are like "just look at the cavalcade of games coming out on Switch and Playstation" ... don't you think that might mean something? If you don't understand what I mean, just take a little time to think about it.
I just posted MC's top 10 list above. Sony, Bethesda and Activision are all similar at about 80-81 pts. I don't know what games they released, but I'd like to hear your analysis about their games.

Because so far for MS, you've downplayed all their games that got them 87 pts with reasons ranging from it's a crappy game, to it's a PC game, one game was bought out by MS, Psychonauts is average and low budget, and Forza is an "isn't for me" type of game.

I just posted MC's top 10 list above. Sony, Bethesda and Activision are all similar at about 80-81 pts. I don't know what games they released, but I'd like to hear your analysis about their games.

Because so far for MS, you've downplayed all their games that got them 87 pts with reasons ranging from it's a crappy game, to it's a PC game, one game was bought out by MS, Psychonauts is average and low budget, and Forza is an "isn't for me" type of game.
It's a classic facts vs feelings argument. Nothing about his personal feelings that 'Halo's bad' and 'Forza isn't for me' changes the reality that MS got publisher of the year in 2021. It's a new year and we have no idea what MS will do in 2022 outside of Starfield but June is coming and we'll all find out. I'm certain the negativity from some will continue regardless of what they show.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a classic facts vs feelings argument. Nothing about his personal feelings that 'Halo's bad' and 'Forza isn't for me' changes the reality that MS got publisher of the year in 2021. It's a new year and we have no idea what MS will do in 2022 outside of Starfield but June is coming and we'll all find out. I'm certain the negativity from some will continue regardless of what they show.
Exactly. You can always tell someone has nothing to back up their opinion when they resort to the 'ol "Not my cup of tea" kind of line.

I can say the same thing. Ok, Activision, Blizzard and Sony at 80-81 pts should have scores cut in half because most of their games are of no interest to me since most are modern day GAAS games, SP focused narratives or an annual baseball game I barely played on GP last year.

Again this stupid bullshit about competition, when everyone knows why the xbox is selling better in the US now.

In the autumn everything will be the same again.
Ps5 everywhere number 1

Xbox already has so many games announced. They do not need to sell a lot of equipment to impose competition.
Regardless of your reply, competition is key and without it most things wouldn't be as good.

MScarpa

Ok never mind im stupid, I didn't quote what I wanted to and now i just have a random post here so ya. Go warriors!

Last edited:

kungfuian

All of these numbers are heavily based on how many units they can actually get produced. Wouldn't begin to assume to understand the complexities of controlling their own manufacturing, but why hasn't Sony or Microsoft invested in their own chip fabrication plants? With all this talk of acquiring studios seems they might be better off acquiring more manufacturing capacity at this point.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The grim reality is Sony has squandered having the most sought after console and is failing to grow their PS5 installbase like they could have in key sales years.

Shortages ending are also a long, long ways away.

Well in their defense many here predicted the Switch would be a failure and MS would out of the console business. Being wrong seems to be their MO.
Every time Sony comes out on top in these instances, it's always the same type of responses. It was to be expected, PS is a beast, Playstation domination, and Let's gooood.

Of course every time Sony doesn't, there's always a reason or caveat. There's always a scramble to put up an asterisk, but rarely an actual reason.

At first Sony was just having supply issues. Then the Xbox doing well even comparatively to switch in the UK was simply because sales for the Switch had obviously slipped due to saturation. Now it seems that this is all because Sony is equipping their datacenters with PS5's. Of course there's no source or evidence of that. I guess since MS used much of their early Series X allocation for their cloud infrastructure that Sony is automatically entitled to claim it as well. Of course it doesn't really matter anyway. Because what really matters is these hot Sony games sales.

When Xbox > Playstation, or even has a good showing, the following can be expected.

Hardware sales= It's about the software.
Software sales= it's about the hardware.
Revenue= It's about the profit.
Power= It's about the games.
Games= It's about the power.

it's laughable at this point really. They predicted Gamepass wasn't sustainable. Right up until Sony announced that it was reorganizing it's own offerings. Because obviously... it wasn't sustainable. Xbox had no exclusives when their games went to pc. Now that Sony is following suit, it's "look at all the success".

Things will get really interesting when PSVR2 releases, and subsequently falls far short of expectations. I suspect many that up until then have been all aboard the VR train, will suddenly be scrambling to get off.

They practically already have. The only console that's more rare than a PS5 IME is a PS4 these days - they're not in stock anywhere in Yurop mainland.

Didn't think I'd hear that so soon. I wonder what PS4's numbers are production-wise in ROTW markets (parts of Middle East, Africa, South America, South/Central Asia etc.).

TBF, and this might incorrect, but I've heard that two specific games MS at least co-published last year were not included in their MC averages. One was the Space Jam game, I forgot what the other one was.

I still think it's great they were able to cinch the #1 Publisher position last year, as I think it's the first time they ever have. But I think it's also worth mentioning that MC isn't the end-all be-all of what these games are worth in terms of cultural cache, or sales, etc. Halo Infinite was one of those high-scoring MS games last year but the player count is struggling and a lot of the community has become frustrated with the communication and lack of updates. Then there's stuff like Deathloop that just kind of came and went, and apparently a lot of the gamer community didn't like it as much as the press did.

So getting high MC scores or even top publisher is good but there's a lot more in measuring a game's impact (or a publisher's impact) than that. Same can go for Sony, Nintendo etc. too. I'm just interested to see if any other publisher gets Best Publisher as many times as Sega have over the past 10 or so years.

The grim reality is Sony has squandered having the most sought after console and is failing to grow their PS5 installbase like they could have in key sales years.

Huh? What do you mean by "key sales years"? The first year or two of consoles are for the hardcore and core gamers, and sales in those years are generally always lower than the middle years, where sales growth explodes as the wider market begins purchasing in large numbers.

As long as Sony and partners can keep bringing out high-quality games that are exclusive to the PS ecosystem, they will get those hardcore & core gamers whenever the consoles are available, as well as the mass-market gamers too.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Launch years have always been pivotal. There are no signs the supply situation is getting better either. Nearly two years out.

Acting like this is a nothing burger is insane. Sony could have double to triple the PS5 installbase right now. These years are going to significantly affect the generation.

Last edited:
Launch years have always been pivotal. There are no signs the supply situation is getting better either. Nearly two years out.

Acting like this is a nothing burger is insane. Sony could have double to triple the PS5 installbase right now. These years are going to significantly affect the generation.

No it isn’t

This thread is gonna age like milk by summer

Last edited:

johnjohn

I wouldn't say Sony squandered it, but because of the chip shortage Sony lost the opportunity to really capitalize on the PS4's momentum.
No it isn’t

This thread is gonna age like milk by summer
And then what happens in the Fall and Holiday season when Xbox has a slew of high profile exclusives and outsells PS5 again?

I wouldn't say Sony squandered it, but because of the chip shortage Sony lost the opportunity to really capitalize on the PS4's momentum.

And then what happens in the Fall and Holiday season when Xbox has a slew of high profile exclusives and outsells PS5 again?

Like what?

Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate. Doesn't sound right for it to be in such short supply in March.

Great month for Xbox though.
That's interesting, that would make sense due to June release. Does that mean maybe the month of may might also be tight on available stock? Or have they done all their allocation?

My personal belief, for whatever that is worth, is that this generation will be very different to the last.
My prediction is that the PS5 will sell around 100 million WW, slightly less than PS4, but still a success in any time.
Xbox Series will come in at around 90 million WW, a massive jump from Xbox One and better than 360.
Sony will end up winning the console race, but Xbox will be a success as well.
It won't really matter who wins, as both companies will be more than happy with their sales.

My personal belief, for whatever that is worth, is that this generation will be very different to the last.
My prediction is that the PS5 will sell around 100 million WW, slightly less than PS4, but still a success in any time.
Xbox Series will come in at around 90 million WW, a massive jump from Xbox One and better than 360.
Sony will end up winning the console race, but Xbox will be a success as well.
It won't really matter who wins, as both companies will be more than happy with their sales.

Well outside the fact it's not so much about console sales as it is revenue from gaming operations that really matters (since more of that means more profit for the division), I don't see a situation where the install base between the two ends up this close unless Sony just really drop the ball throughout the rest of the generation. Like, nearing where they were with PS3 from 2006 - 2008 or so period.

Which, hey, there's always a small chance that happens. Maybe they go overboard with live service games, maybe they increase games by another $10, maybe they price-gouge with PS+. Maybe they just never increase PS5 production to start matching demand, they scale down the quality of their 1P games, they cancel massive games, maybe overspend on an acquisition that doesn't bring them any net gains, etc.

But as much as some people don't seem to really like Jim Ryan, I doubt he would bring that series of mistakes on and if he was beginning to he'd be ousted by his Japanese superiors before too much damage was done. Meanwhile OTOH, Xbox still has a very real image/brand problem in markets outside of US & UK, and they would need much stronger presence in most of them to get near 90 million LTD. They couldn't simply rely on very strong presence in US & UK because realistically Sony are still going to be a very formidable presence in those same markets, unlike the PS3 was for almost that entire generation.

Something still sticks out to me about Sony, tho. A few months back they said they were watching Switch OLED performance closely...I think there's more to that than people want to give credit for. I think they're looking into another model, possibly some type of handheld or something else, that can diversify their product line and add options and appeal to a different market segment, but also not be something that can complicate or impact development of games aimed at PS5-level performance. And with those combined they may be able to beat PS4 LTD and maybe even near PS2 LTD while at it.

Guess we'll see sooner or later about all that.

Top Bottom