• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2022 Results - More info tomorrow

Sony forecasted less than 2 million consoles made for the quarter world wide. March and April should be abysmal. They then forecast record numbers late summer into the e d of the year. We shall see. They are falling behind ps4 rn world wide.

So sony knew they would be in short supply. Looks like they plan to make up for it summer onwards. Good news for those who are still struggling to buy a PS5. They are killing it on the software side though.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
What is going on with PS5 supply? It's getting worse, not better. I'm starting to think it's going to stay like this for the whole generation. I also wish we got actual hardware and software numbers like the old days instead of all this dollar sales and percentage crap.
That was last month. Things will get better from now on that xbox is getting more available. At least I hope

reksveks

So sony knew they would be in short supply. Looks like they plan to make up for it summer onwards. Good news for those who are still struggling to buy a PS5. They are killing it on the software side though.
I would wait for the next earnings call and segment update, they decided to hold off on reviewing the next financial year forecast in terms of units. 10th May is the date.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, something must be going on with sonys production. Hope they get it sorted ASAP.

I stand corrected on Horizon, looks like its doing extremely well. Not my cup of tea but no denying it's doing well.

GT7 is amazing to see, what a great game. Loving that bad boy.

Sony forecasted less than 2 million consoles made for the quarter world wide. March and April should be abysmal. They then forecast record numbers late summer into the e d of the year. We shall see. They are falling behind ps4 rn world wide.
Sony forcasted 2M for the quarter between January and March. April is already seeing some good drops in multiple territories.

I also think tomorrow when the UK data comes out Sony games will be doing well. I think they kept getting more units this past week in there.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Even with no stock horizon and gt7 killing it.
Damn son
its almost like these are cross gen games, and theres 110+ mil ps4s out there, and ps5 by now also has over 17 mil. PS5 stock doesnt affect ps4 lol, and even on the PS5 side, theres already plenty there, and if a exclusive releases, people are just buying it, theres a hunger for next gen games

i have 3 friends that caved and bought on ps4 since they cant find ps5s

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
its almost like these are cross gen games, and theres 110+ mil ps4s out there, and ps5 by now also has over 17 mil. PS5 stock doesnt affect ps4 lol, and even on the PS5 side, theres already plenty there, and if a exclusive releases, people are just buying it, theres a hunger for next gen games

You don't say

You Think Reaction GIF by BET Plus

Jaybe

No wonder Sony is eyeing PC, given likely forecasted supply challenges. GT7 if/when it hits Steam will be a monster if they can manage to not bigger it up technically.

Tiny Tina super low but no digital sales.

Halo Infinite campaign no longer in Top 20 all platforms be the Xbox only chart, perhaps it wasn’t even on Febs. They count Steam digital sales for the all platforms so definitely lost legs. Yes Gamepass is a thing so why buy it, but I wonder if lack of coop (online and split screen) have hurt it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sony are probably artificially restricting PS5 supply so that they can make it sell better. /s
(Real argument made during the days of the Wii)

Nah, I was just alluding that Horizon is flop sony needs to change formula and all that bullshit. Now we doing "duh's"

Yeah and both are killing it.

Pretty much. A lot of people are gonna be eating crow considering Horizon has tracked far ahead of Dying Light 2 in almost every region and Techland just announced it sold 5 million copies.

Also…yeah, GT7….

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sony killing it with software but failing miserably with hardware. What a mess, they need that 6nm PS5 as soon as possible, it's getting ridiculous.

Xbox capitalizing on the fact the Series S is much easier to produce.

I have no idea how their orders work with TSMC but it seems really strange that Sony didn't guarantee that at the very least they would produce as many PS5s as PS4s or have some sort of deal with TSMC to have priority in case they needed make up for it. Their entire PS business depends on getting consoles out there.

Ew. I really hope not, what a waste.
I think Sony gets its chips from AMD, who gets them from TSMC.

just saying console stock has nothing to do with it, like you were saying

but anyhow, carry on

It still does factor into it. There is no doubt if there were more PS5’s on the market more copies of horizon would sell, PS4 sales are cushioning the blow. There are gonna be a significant amount of people waiting to play it on next gen consoles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Triangle Strategy always looked a little lame tbh, overpriced. i think the HD 'sprites' look just doesn't work on a strategy game the same way it does on an RPG to milk nostalgic fans, Square should have been more willing to take a risk and made a 3D modern looking strategy game a little closer to Fire Emblem.
You are so wrong, Triangle Strategy is currently my GOTY, its really good.

reksveks

Pretty much. A lot of people are gonna be eating crow considering Horizon has tracked far ahead of Dying Light 2 in almost every region and Techland just announced it sold 5 million copies.
I don't doubt that H:FW has sold more than DL2, but I would also remember that Techland is a bit iffy with their digital numbers (definitely doesn't share with GSD, need to double check NPD)

Fortunately will get both GT7 and HFW numbers in roughly 16 days

reksveks

Is that how we doing things now? Putting someone on the board because they sold a higher dollar amount 👀.

Noone should be surprised at the switch moving more units when it isn't being supply constrained.
Think P prinz_valium was just sharing information as well as primarily correcting me.

Personally I think both metrics are useful.

Is that how we doing things now? Putting someone on the board because they sold a higher dollar amount 👀.

Noone should be surprised at the switch moving more units when it isn't being supply constrained.
Well NPD is doing that.
Because they value $ more than units. Because corporations care more about $

We put both on the board.

Neofire

Well NPD is doing that.

I've been on this board for a long time and I am 1000% sure they did not always report "who made the most money"

And I'm another 1000% sure "corporations" could care less what fan boys post on social media about sales but I digress

PS5 had already fallen behind PS4 by 2.9million, it will probably be 3 million or more behind when Sony reveal Q4 numbers on the 10th of May. They forecast PS5 to ship 2m and PS4 shipped 2.2m in the corresponding quarter. For this upcoming corresponding year PS4 shipped 17.70m and there is no way PS5 can reach that number with these crippling supply problems, i'd be happy with 15m or 16m at this point.

1qX8x3q.png

HHROpyJ.png

Last edited:

Neofire

PS5 had already fallen behind PS4 by 2.9million, it will probably be 3 million or more behind when Sony reveal Q4 numbers on the 10th of May. They forecast PS5 to ship 2m and PS4 shipped 2.2m in the corresponding quarter. For this upcoming year PS4 shipped 17.70m and there is no way PS5 can reach that number with these crippling supply problems, i'd be happy with 15m or 16m at this point.

1qX8x3q.png

HHROpyJ.png
The sad and unfortunate truth and I don't see it improving on a noticeable level until next year without a revision in the form of a pro or slim model.

iQuasarLV

So in 2020-21 they were down 2% from maximum planned output. However, in 2021-22 they are currently down 31%..! Just yikes man. I would be pushing my manufacturing department to switch every single option to PS5 output to just keep up with demand. That is a lot of goddamn profit loss.

Sony always said Q1 2022 would be terrible for sales. They expected like 2 or 3M WW in sales between January and March. That's terrible.

That said...this quarter has already started with a bang for them. Huge supply (relatively speaking) in the USA, UK and other countries. I'm always checking on twitter about drops in multiple stores. I think Walmart had a considerable drop last week cause you could buy one for more than 10 minutes...that never happens. Amazon sold out faster but it still lasted almost 5 minutes i think.

UK has been getting some supply as well.

I think starting in April things will be looking better and we'll be going back to the chart placements we were to expect from these consoles...but who knows.
Actually 3 million worldwide in a non holiday quarter is pretty good, 2 million is slightly disappointing but far from Abysmal. Abysmal is 500k or below like what the Wii U was selling most quarters.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure, im sure its a good game bud, i just don't see the appeal on this artsyle combined with the genre and i know im not the only one.
I had no issue with its visuals it worked well with Final Fantasy Tactics and works well Triangle Strategy as well.

As someone who enjoyed Three Houses very much, I would say Triangle Strategy is better game, better combat, better map and better story.

Last edited:
Well NPD is doing that.

Would make sense if talking about software but console hardware by itself isn't very profitable.

It's most likelly a spin so more companies look good instead of just Nintendo.

Chukhopops

Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate. Doesn't sound right for it to be in such short supply in March.

Great month for Xbox though.
Is it even confirmed anywhere that there will be PS5 streaming in the PS+ revamp? Even in the last blog post they don’t say it:

• Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
I know they said Returnal would be added but that doesn’t mean it’s available to stream.

Don’t get me wrong, it makes sense and would explain a lot.

Astral Dog

I had no issue with its visuals it worked well with Final Fantasy Tactics and works well Triangle Strategy as well.

As someone who enjoyed Three Houses very much, I would say Triangle Strategy is better game, better combat, better map and better story.

To be honest it feels like old Square hasn't figured out the Switch audience yet, their outpout has been inconsistent at best.

Octopath was welcomed and sold quite well, their Final Fantasy ports sold well afaik, "perfect! instead of releasing brand new games in our biggest brands (they can still be multiplatform, don't need to be KH4 or FFXVI)with decent marketing lets make a (worse) sequel to a super niche Nintendo DS game, lets release a buggy online only version of our beloved classic Kingdom Hearts games'

its just weird how they been treating the Switch this time

Last edited:

Fredrik

Nice for Xbox, let’s see if they can keep the momentum, they need it. Softwarewise they don’t exist though.

Top Bottom