• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2021 result: Nintendo Switch is the best selling hardware in both units and dollars sales

Bodomism

Banned

March Top 20 best selling games
EzGODv2VkAIl2mr

Top 10 games YTD 2021
EzGOHMQUUAQ_5a-

PS5 is currently the fastest selling hardware ahead of PS4 in launch aligned.

MK8D is the best selling racing game with only physical sales alone in the history of NPD

Monster Hunter Rise is already second best selling Monster Hunter game with only a few days of sales

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Wow! 3D world is still selling and above MH Rise!

Edit: maybe I shouldn’t be surprised it’s only 2nd month and WiiU was such a failure, even tho I love the WiiU!

Last edited:
you could have don mattrick and phil harrison in charge of playstation and it still wouldnt stop this thing from flying off shelves. PS4 broke so many records, now PS5 is going to repeat it and break those records. its just up and up for sony and the PS brand and they aint even close to actually getting started yet.

Last edited:

yazenov

Another info.

In Feb 2021 PS5 was only the fastest-selling in Dollars... not Units.
In Mar 2021 PS5 is the fastest-selling in Dollars and Units.

Seems a little info that tells a lot.

PS5 NPD March 2021 > 370k units (PS4 NPD March 2014).

tenor.gif

Remember the fun thread where people laughed at the Doller metric when PS5 was the faster selling console in DOller sales ? Now you have both Doller and Units. Impressive for an Expensive , premium console.

Shhhh Shut Up GIF by swerk

You guys realize that for every unit sold these companies (outside of Nintendo) are losing money on the unit sale, right? So it's always better to look at the software sales, assume their MSRP, knock out the cut to brick-and-mortar and what the publisher retains, take the remainder and multiply that by the split of unit sales for a given platform.

Now do that for all the games, and weigh it against the losses on each unit sold * the number of units sold. That gives you a better picture vs. just looking at units sold.

ethomaz

Banned
You guys realize that for every unit sold these companies (outside of Nintendo) are losing money on the unit sale, right? So it's always better to look at the software sales, assume their MSRP, knock out the cut to brick-and-mortar and what the publisher retains, take the remainder and multiply that by the split of unit sales for a given platform.

Now do that for all the games, and weigh it against the losses on each unit sold * the number of units sold. That gives you a better picture vs. just looking at units sold.
I thought only PS5 DE was sold at lose at launch.
PS5 normal was break even or little profit.

That is the reason the DE is way more scarse.

PS5 BOM was around $470-480 at launch.

Last edited:
guys this is just them coasting off of the PS4! trust me guys, im from the future. PS5 will be dead by 2023, when they have no more games left because jim ryan ordered to stop making them. he is going to kill playstation slowly.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

everyone loses money at the start of the generation. even nintendo. this isnt a new phenomenon.

sales are sales. we arent discussing profits here.

ethomaz

Banned
Rise Switch SKU is going to outsell MHW PS4 SKU.

MHW PS4 - 8.7M
MHW PC - 5.6M
MHR NSW - 5M(7 days)

Also the chart didn't include MHR digital sales while MHW did for both PS4 and XB1.
Shipment + Digital is lower for Rise... plus Japan is right now bit better than World that makes the drop in West very real.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Shipment + Digital is lower for Rise... plus Japan is right now bit better than World that makes the drop in West very real.
MHR
3 days = 4M
7 days = 5M

MHW
3 days = 5M
14 days = 6M

Japan sales is going to offset the drop on the west and will help Switch version to be the best selling Monster Hunter SKU ever.

Asia+Japan for MHR is going to end up around 6M units.

Last edited:

yazenov

Rise Switch SKU is going to outsell MHW PS4 SKU.

MHW PS4 - 8.7M
MHW PC - 5.6M
MHR NSW - 5M(7 days)

Also the chart didn't include MHR digital sales while MHW did for both PS4 and XB1.

1- You guys are moving the goal post. MHR outselling the PS4 version only metric is irrelevant and only fanboys care about. We are talking overall sales of Rise versus World. (the end result and profit is what matters, not single console platform wars).
2- Even when playing by your set of rules, all indication outside of Japan, MHR is selling lower than the PS4 version of World. Only Japan is a slight increase. It wont even outsell the PS4 version overall.
3- Your PS4 version of World total sales is outdated. Its alot more now but we don't have current numbers.
4- MHW being on several platforms and PC close to launch diluted the PS4's version of the sales. I have no doubt that if the PS4 version was exclusive and the PC version delayed release of 1 year, it would not be even close competition. Rise being exclusive to the Switch helped boosts its sales since there are no other options.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
COD is a better game deal with it. Warzone is literally more addictive then crack.

PS5 breaking the fastest console record but insane month for the switch to come out number 1. Rise must have shifted a few units on top of already high demand.
Both PS5 and Switch are > 370k.
It is a pretty great numbers for March.

ethomaz

Banned
In your reality, Rise is a bomba while Demon's Souls is selling gangbusters :messenger_beaming: Whatever you're on, I want some.
I mean one is a big franchise with huge sales the other is franchise with sales in 2-4 million mark.
Rise sales on west are on declive compared with World.
Demon's Souls sales looks to be in line with what Souls games sells in a limited userbase... a better comparison could be Demon's Souls Remakes with Bloodborne when the userbase got their PS5.
Do a self reflection and try to post again.

Where is our new lord and saviour the XBOX Series X and S?
I have no ideia... I did not see hints on NPD.

Last edited:
I mean one is a big franchise with huge sales the other is franchise with sales in 2-4 million mark.
Rise sales on west are on declive compared with World.
Demon's Souls sales looks to be in line with what Souls games sells in a limited userbase... a better comparison could be Demon's Souls Remakes with Bloodborne when the userbase got their PS5.
Do a self reflection and try to post again.
Monster Hunter usually sells around 3-4m copies. The one big exception was MHW. Same goes for the Souls games, where DS3 is the exception. In terms of sales, both franchises are pretty comparable (one franchise just releases way more games).

Top Bottom