• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
All I see from this is that all three major consoles are doing well and there are great games on all platforms.

For those of y'all who are desperately trying to turn this into some console war shit - go play some actual games. Your shtick has gotten old and you are nothing but laughing stocks.

ethomaz

Banned
Do these journalists, even check up what they write? That is one sticky mistake.

Also, how does that chip produce those graphics? Does that mean, mobiles are advancing too much? 10 years ago, they were doing snakes, and now this.
Well that is what you found in mobile today with integrated graphics.
Dedicated graphics is another talk because you have notebook close to high-end desktops.

BTW the Steam Desk is based in an AMD mobile APU like these ones:

Seems like a Ryzen™ 3 5400U with 8 CUs instead 6CUs.
When you more up to 5500U, 5600U, etc you already reach 6C/12T or 8C/16T.
5800H/HS has 8CUs in GPU but runs at way higher clock and has 8C/16T CPUs.

Last edited:
Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert will be here any minute now to tell you that #6 on the xbox charts means less than 10k units. Oh wait, no he won't, he only does that when trying to frame PS exclusive games as a flop or make excuses for splits.
I know you're salty but you don't see me celebrate any chart positions in small-ish markets (see weekly physical UK threads). Once you do, feel free to make the point.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Said it before and I'll say it again.
If MS can keep up what they are doing with XSX and make enough units, they win NA.

Honest question: Why does this matter so much to you? To who "wins"? Why not just be glad that games are selling well and all platforms are doing well? Genuinely never understood the mindset of platform warriors like yourself.

S0ULZB0URNE

Honest question: Why does this matter so much to you? To who "wins"? Why not just be glad that games are selling well and all platforms are doing well? Genuinely never understood the mindset of platform warriors like yourself.
Why does it matter to me?
It matters to me being a gamer that the market is thriving.
PS been dominating XB and will win this generation.
MS winning NA keeps the market healthier.
It matters to me that both PS and XB are successful as they can push each other which results in a win win for gamers.

Why are you posting in this type of thread if these things bother you so much?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
E6a1sREVkAMHwou

By Platform:

E6a14pbVEAAUL_s

E6a17jsUcAMhD61

E6a11QiVgAUGh2Y

E6a1vTDVUAQxU_-

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

No one gives a shit about the US, give me Oman sales.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It matters to me that both PS and XB are successful as they can push each other which results in a win win for gamers.

Yes, the market is thriving. All 3 major platforms are selling well, with great games. You don't need one to "win" over the other for them to compete and push each other to do better. Simply having all 3 do well does the same thing.

By hoping one "wins" over the other is just simple platform warring and is pathetic and childish.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Idhlac min hina yabni. Ela balad bitikalim? Ixna, mush caizeen oman. Bahazar macaaka, yaa aquuya.

Don't let me down Bo. I know you can understand it.

Obviously joking though, but guys who followed the UK sales threads will understand the reference. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes, the market is thriving. All 3 major platforms are selling well, with great games. You don't need one to "win" over the other for them to compete and push each other to do better. Simply having all 3 do well does the same thing.

By hoping one "wins" over the other is just simple platform warring and is pathetic and childish.
Yes Xbox does need to win a major area to keep it healthy and push it's competition.

Platform warring?
You got the wrong guy but these triggered posts from you show who's the console warrior.

kingfey

Banned

That is too funny, that you are saying Playstation will win this generation.

Sorry, kid, but I wouldn't these claims.

Both parties are doing good job. Xbox has new weapon, and Playstation has its exclusive.

If you want a proof, look at how xbox is doing Japan. Slow start at 1k-3k above weekly. Last gen, it was 50 console a week. This might not mean anything, but its start. Especially, with them not having next gen games. That is the effect of their gamepass.

I would give the first 2 years to Playstation. Once xbox builds its portfolio, Sony will need to be careful.

Casuals are the ones who will decide the winner. If gamepass becomes too good, they will flock there.

Getting vibes of 360 vs PS3 which is great that was the best gaming period. Remember competition is great for us consumer we benefit as they are forced to one up each other we profit..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes Xbox does need to win a major area to keep it healthy and push it's competition.

Platform warring?
You got the wrong guy but these triggered posts from you show who's the console warrior.
No. Xbox just needs to sell well. It doesn't need a "win". It is healthy now, it is pushing its competition now. All of them are pushing each other. That is the entire point.

Also lol. Yea, I am totes a console warrior. You can tell by the fact that I advocate for people to play great games regardless of platform and focus on the games and not the plastic box.

Seek help, mate.

S0ULZB0URNE

That is too funny, that you are saying Playstation will win this generation.

Sorry, kid, but I wouldn't these claims.

Both parties are doing good job. Xbox has new weapon, and Playstation has its exclusive.

If you want a proof, look at how xbox is doing Japan. Slow start at 1k-3k above weekly. Last gen, it was 50 console a week. This might not mean anything, but its start. Especially, with them not having next gen games. That is the effect of their gamepass.

I would give the first 2 years to Playstation. Once xbox builds its portfolio, Sony will need to be careful.

Casuals are the ones who will decide the winner. If gamepass becomes too good, they will flock there.
Kid?

No it's not happening and the notion of casuals and gamepass helping XB beat PS doesn't mix when casuals never even heard of gamepass and casuals don't usually choose XB.

S0ULZB0URNE

No. Xbox just needs to sell well. It doesn't need a "win". It is healthy now, it is pushing its competition now. All of them are pushing each other. That is the entire point.

Also lol. Yea, I am totes a console warrior. You can tell by the fact that I advocate for people to play great games regardless of platform and focus on the games and not the plastic box.

Seek help, mate.
You are hanging in a sales thread and triggered.

We know who needs the help.

kingfey

Banned
Kid?

No it's not happening and the notion of casuals and gamepass helping XB beat PS doesn't mix when casuals never even heard of gamepass and casuals don't usually choose XB.
Let me tell you this. Ps4 won due to the casuals.

Fortnite, call of duty, fifa helped the system hit 116m.

These people will want the value gamepass gives them.

You can look down on it right now, but in 2-3 years, you will see how big gamepass is.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Let me tell you this. Ps4 won due to the casuals.

Fortnite, call of duty, fifa helped the system hit 116m.

These people will want the value gamepass gives them.

You can look down on it right now, but in 2-3 years, you will see how big gamepass is.
Again casuals don't usually buy Xbox nor know what gamepass is.

You can't be the Netflix of gaming if your service doesn't work on the most popular gaming devices.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just hopping on to say that once Bathesda and Xbox’s big hitters start truly dropping Xbox’s momentum will just keep increasing.

50-55 million Xbox One consoles sold, Series consoles should hit 70-75 million for sure in my opinion.

TES and Fallout have huge mainstream appeal, Fable and Avowed should review very well based on their respective devs history - great hype builders for the general public.

S0ULZB0URNE

Just hopping on to say that once Bathesda and Xbox’s big hitters start truly dropping Xbox’s momentum will just keep increasing.

50-55 million Xbox One consoles sold, Series consoles should hit 70-75 million for sure in my opinion.

TES and Fallout have huge mainstream appeal, Fable and Avowed should review very well based on their respective devs history - great hype builders for the general public.
Those Zenimax games alone will move units...especially in NA.

kingfey

Banned
Again casuals don't usually buy Xbox nor know what gamepass is.

You can't be the Netflix of gaming if your service doesn't work on the most popular gaming devices.
"Casuals dont buy xbox" that is too rich, coming from you buddy.

Get your horses of the last gen.

We are at the age, where both systems are getting their exclusives.

If anything, casuals know more than you. They aren't glued to a forum like you. They are in the real world.

And 1 advice. Put your phone down, close the page for this forum, and go outside. Because you will learn more.

We aren't in the past anymore. Kids have phone. Everyone has a a phone. Information gets spread fast. And if 1 thing I learned from people, is that they will go to a length, to save some money.

Gamepass will be a hit, due to these guys saving money. Netflix is 200m, because the value it posses.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well, well, well...look at Rift Apart.

Nice results for several reasons.

All 3 platforms did good tho.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's right. Sony isn't the publisher of the game.
MLB owns the IP. Sony is just the developer and to keep the license, they had to make the concession to develop the game on multiple platforms

I realize that they had to make the game in order to keep the license. But you honestly think they didn't get extra money to build the game on a 2nd platform?

Hezekiah

Banned
Microsoft proved with Xbox 360 they don't need to compete with Sony everywhere to still maintain sizeable market share.

Even Xbox One, which lost significant market share to PS4, hasn't seen Sony return to PS2 level market share advantage over Xbox.

Times are very different. Playstation as a brand use to enjoy much greater than a 2:1 sales advantage over Xbox. Right now both companies are selling everything they can produce. You still can't walk into a store and easily find Xbox Series X or S units, so any talk of what is truly going to happen this gen is premature at best.

Even with the mistakes from Xbox One, Xbox as a brand is a lot more popular than it has ever been.

Sales in Japan count the same as sales anywhere else.
Well we know the Series S is readily available in the UK and Europe.

We also know that Microsoft is producing significantly less consoles than Sony is. It's very likely the differential worldwide is 2:1 or more right now.

kingfey

Banned
Well we know the Series S is readily available in the UK and Europe.

We also know that Microsoft is producing significantly less consoles than Sony is. It's very likely the differential worldwide is 2:1 or more right now.
Sony ordered more waivers, hence why they have higher numbers. 80k vs 40k. It isnt about how much sony makes. Its about how much waivers you can secure.

Last edited:
Said it before and I'll say it again.
If MS can keep up what they are doing with XSX and make enough units, they win NA.

You do know that even xbox one outsold ps4 a good amount of times in the US right? It even did it 3 months in a row after the release of xbox one s. I can't see xbox series consistently outselling ps5 when stock is readily available. A month here and there? Sure.

The ps brand is too big. It needs a major mistake like an $599 or xbox one reveal to truly move the needle in any real way. Any mistakes Sony have made so far are minor in comparison to those.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony ordered more waivers, hence why they have higher numbers. 80k vs 40k. It isnt about how much sony makes. Its about how much waivers you can secure.
Sony knew they could order more chips because demand is higher and will continue to be.

The Series S wont sell a great deal here in Europe, a lot of people don't want it. And the PS5 Digital Edition is much better value.

I realize that they had to make the game in order to keep the license. But you honestly think they didn't get extra money to build the game on a 2nd platform?
No, because Sony does not get any money at all to make the game.
Sony is publishing the game on PS and is developing it. So they fund the game and take the risk of that. MLB gets royalties for the MLB license. (Same as Fifa, or the NBA do not pay EA to make the game)

Now MLB wanted to make the game multiplatform and earn more money after they saw how much NBA2K is making.

But they know they also need a good product to sell and make money. So they went to Sony and negotiated.
"You keep the license and he publisher on PS (make all the money, minus our royalties), but have to make the game on Xbox, too which we can monetize.

Sony is paying development costs of MLB The Show, not the MLB.
So if anything, Sony is paying their own first party developer more to make the game on Xbox.

There is a slight possibility, that MLB as publisher is paying Sony for the port, but that does not seem likely and would be a drop in the bucket anyways.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Sony knew they could order more chips because demand is higher and will continue to be.

The Series S wont sell a great deal here in Europe, a lot of people don't want it. And the PS5 Digital Edition is much better value.
Are you saying european playstation fans, wont buy the series S? Are they going to buy the series x to buy starfield, halo?

We are still 1 year after pandemic. give it a time, until people get used to buying video games, from the store. I had to buy my switch online, because they dont do in store purchases.

If the series S stays there for 1 month. Yes, I would believe you that it wont sell well. but as of now, everyone wants the series X. The series S will still sell, but its not gonna be fast.

It will sell like hot cakes, once XBOX drops their first party games.

kingfey

Banned
You do know that even xbox one outsold ps4 a good amount of times in the US right? It even did it 3 months in a row after the release of xbox one s. I can't see xbox series consistently outselling ps5 when stock is readily available. A month here and there? Sure.

The ps brand is too big. It needs a major mistake like an $599 or xbox one reveal to truly move the needle in any real way. Any mistakes Sony have made so far are minor in comparison to those.
Or Xbox to drop its first party games.

The ps5 is going against xbox, which has no first party studios, while the ps5 has bangers after bangers. If its struggling against xbox, in that state, I dont know what to think, when they drop their first party games.

remember, everyone is a halo fan. playstation fan or xbox fan. Once halo drops, people will buy the series x, or series S to play it.

Hezekiah

Banned
Are you saying european playstation fans, wont buy the series S? Are they going to buy the series x to buy starfield, halo?

We are still 1 year after pandemic. give it a time, until people get used to buying video games, from the store. I had to buy my switch online, because they dont do in store purchases.

If the series S stays there for 1 month. Yes, I would believe you that it wont sell well. but as of now, everyone wants the series X. The series S will still sell, but its not gonna be fast.

It will sell like hot cakes, once XBOX drops their first party games.
The Series S won't sell here full stop. It's an underpowered machine, 10GB RAM is rubbish in 2021, and nowhere near enough storage space. It's just seen as a nerfed console.

Also it's a digital only machine (although 75% of games are bought digitally anyway), so buying from stores is irrelevant. People are very used to buying hardware and software online.

And a lot of those first-party Xbox games just aren't major blockbusters - Prey, Dishonoured, Wolfenstein. Doom is quite popular, but even Halo and Gears don't sell what what they used to. Elder Scrolls will be big but won't be out for ages. Perfect Dark and Indiana Jones won't be out for a very long time. Sony just has them beat when it comes to IPs and their mindshare. And now they're stepping much more into the multiplayer arena with Factions, and the new IPs from Firewalk and Deviation Games. Very exciting, and we still have VR2 to look forward too aswell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom