• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Kagey K

Banned
There's a big problem there, which is why when talking about numbers people should be as objective as possible instead of trying to make them fit boxes.

In 2011 Xbox 360 would've been found for much cheaper, so dollar sales records isn't really a good indicator. The price disparity is just too big, with hardware what matters are unit sales.
In 2011 you could also walk into a store and buy one off the shelf if you wanted, in 2021…. not so much.

It’s not like they wouldn’t have sold more in June if they were there to sell.

Last edited:

ManaByte

718782.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
In 2011 you could also walk into a store and buy one off the shelf if you wanted, in 2020 not so much.

Hypothetical scenarios aren't objective. Comparing dollar sales between X|S and 360 when they had completely different prices is pointless.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn, Phil coming through in a clutch. And May technically isnt even summer yet which is when Phil said that the stock will be readily available.

The next few months are going to be very interesting. I can easily see Xbox beating out Sony every month until November if what Phil says is true.

As much as i would like to blame MLB The Show going to xbox for free or many of the other cock ups by Sony in the last few months, I dont think this is on Jim Ryan. The PS5 is still outselling the PS4 when launch aligned.

Three

Can find their worries confirmed in the NPD charts : XBox isn't moving software. CoD:MW is 2nd on XB and 12th in the genral charts
Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert will be here any minute now to tell you that #6 on the xbox charts means less than 10k units. Oh wait, no he won't, he only does that when trying to frame PS exclusive games as a flop or make excuses for splits.

Last edited:

Nyxir

It is. You could barely find an PlayStation 5 in-stock while Xbox Series S were still seen on shelves.

So they either had a lot of Xbox Series S in-stock OR the Xbox Series S is in low demand.
I think it a bit of both. Specially since we are still in the “hardcore” phase.
This was the best month for Xbox since 2011. So I find downplaying to “ps5 didn’t have enough stock” is illogical.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
In 2011 you could also walk into a store and buy one off the shelf if you wanted, in 2021…. not so much.

This was the best month for Xbox since 2011. So I find downplaying to “ps5 didn’t have enough stock” is illogical.

As I said earlier.. Its stock related. That or the Xbox Series S is not in high demand.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There's a big problem there, which is why when talking about numbers people should be as objective as possible instead of trying to make them fit boxes.

In 2011 Xbox 360 would've been found for much cheaper, so dollar sales records isn't really a good indicator. The price disparity is just too big, with hardware what matters are unit sales.

Great point! thanks for the clarification. I keep forgetting that these consoles are £100 more expensive than the previous gen.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It makes sense for Xbox because right after E3 you were able to go in stores and buy one. The shipments were large in June. There was reports about it here and elsewhere.

Nyxir

As I said earlier.. Its stock related. That or the Xbox Series S is not in high demand.

Again. They except it to sell in the long run. We are still in the early adopters phase.
Either if thats going be true or not. Xbox is doing great and that what’s important. Competition is good.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I have a feeling the Series S stock is going to be snatched up like crazy during the Christmas shopping season when little Timmys mom is looking for something to buy and sees that price.

The scenario where a mommy or a daddy are looking to buy an Xbox for their little Timmy, and end up buying a Series S instead of an X because of price will no doubt become common.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not available for me.
Series S is widely available though.

*Laughs in PS3*

Shit, totally forgot about my day one 60GB PS3 haha! that hurt, but I don't care what anyone says. Resistance was dope as fook! More love for insomniac BBE! Motorstorm was pretty cool too.

Sorry for derail.

pasterpl

Well, they don't. Software is key here anyways. Your comment is lame, and wasn't really well thought out. So following your logic....Sony should just ignore the millions of PS5 owners already and not release any big exclusive titles until stock issues settle? You're also failing to mention that there are many who will buy an Xbox just because they can't get a PS5 at the moment.
Whaaaat? Does this mean that I am imagining playing games on my xsx daily for hours?/s

Stuart360

They should of launched the S a year later. Its mostly the hardcore that buy consoles in the first few months, and even longer this time with the shortages.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
as someone who owns a switch, xsx, ps5, and a 3080 i'm super happy about this. i want all gaming companies to be healthy and have a competitive market. companies like sony and microsoft always do their best work when they're up against competition. nintendo just does whatever they want lol.

I am in the exact same position. It's so good to see everyone doing so well. Will make everyone keep delivering the best games, services, accessories and more. All we do as consumers is (in the wise words of our prophet DJ KHALED) is "Win, Win, Win"

Stuart360

As a Playstation fan I want Xbox to be AT LEAST as successful as the Xbox 1, because otherwise Sony will be encouraged to start selling us shit sandwiches.
Exactly so why the salt?.
I swear if you were new to gaming, you would never believe it was PS4 that won last gen at a canter, if you read forums like this one. So many gamers on the Sony side are so fragile.

SlimySnake

I have a feeling the Series S stock is going to be snatched up like crazy during the Christmas shopping season when little Timmys mom is looking for something to buy and sees that price.
People actually forget this but the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in SEVERAL Novembers and Decembers last year. And most of that was due to Xbox simply having a cheaper SKU with lots of games bundled in during the holiday season. Whereas the rest of the year, the PS4 would outsell the xbox one every month. Who shops for consoles during the holiday season? It starts with a K and ends with a Karen.

Xbox is a household name in the U.S. I dont remember where I read this but the sales breakdown was something like 33 vs 28 million in favor of PS. But a 5 million gap is nothing really when Sony had a 60 million gap worldwide. MS has always been strong here and the Series S might close the gap even more.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Let's not forget at that point in time, retailers discounts were abundant.
Actually wasnt this during the kinect hysteria? Xbox Kinect had become the new Wii in the U.S and was selling like hot cakes at the full price of $299. I highly doubt they felt the need to dicount a console selling 500k in the month of June. November, December, I understand but this was peak Kinect.

kingfey

Banned
You are right. only hardcore fans will get these consoles right now.

For me, I dont see value in both systems as of now. No real next gen games. I have ps5 at home, and series x is hard to get. But that means nothing. I can still play god of war 2, HFW, halo, forza on my old gen. So there is no value for me getting those systems. i dont really care about graphics that much. I am playing on switch for godsake.

KingT731

Actually wasnt this during the kinect hysteria? Xbox Kinect had become the new Wii in the U.S and was selling like hot cakes at the full price of $299. I highly doubt they felt the need to dicount a console selling 500k in the month of June. November, December, I understand but this was peak Kinect.
That was slightly after the big holiday and then the 3 game bundles etc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This holiday WILL be a year later. People are going to be looking for a console to run GamePass and Halo and there will be one for $299 waiting for them.
People actually forget this but the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in SEVERAL Novembers and Decembers last year. And most of that was due to Xbox simply having a cheaper SKU with lots of games bundled in during the holiday season. Whereas the rest of the year, the PS4 would outsell the xbox one every month. Who shops for consoles during the holiday season? It starts with a K and ends with a Karen.

Xbox is a household name in the U.S. I dont remember where I read this but the sales breakdown was something like 33 vs 28 million in favor of PS. But a 5 million gap is nothing really when Sony had a 60 million gap worldwide. MS has always been strong here and the Series S might close the gap even more.

Price is King come the Holidays for parents shopping not to mention stock sitting on shelves.

Plus with how bad internet is in many rural sections of the US it 100% rules out a digital PS5 so you are talking $200 price difference then

Thirty7ven

Banned

The 360 S launched in june 2010 at 299$, so absolutely standard 360s would've been found cheaper and at that point in the console generation you have retailers discounts happen month in month out. Be it through bundles, or weekend price drops, whatever. Point being we can't compare the two by dollar sales.

Dane

Interesting metric about dollar sales considering that Xbox has 2 skus and one is the same price as PS5 and other one is cheaper that PS5 digital. But of course Switch is a monster as usual. With the same price it would probably top everything.

The charts for physical after all (and Xbox was pushing digital since Xbox One S). In Xbox charts - like Top Paid - Doki Doki and Scarlet Nexus were in top 10-20 all the time.
Funny that the Eshop and Xbox Store charts put Doki Doki on top 10, but seems that it didn't get on PS Store didn't even chart the best seller page at all, althrough it's possible that the page has zero accuracy. For a console that people around here claims to have zero interest in japanese games, this surely is a reversal role.

mejin

True. It's the only country MS is the 3rd place, but not far from the competition.

MrA

Banned
Why does there always have to be so much salt whenever Xbox has a good month?. Everyone knows PS5 has the gen in the bag, there is no need for the insecurity.
Some fan boys for all consoles aren't satisfied when their toy of choice succeeds, others must fail.

Damn, Phil coming through in a clutch. And May technically isnt even summer yet which is when Phil said that the stock will be readily available.

The next few months are going to be very interesting. I can easily see Xbox beating out Sony every month until November if what Phil says is true.

As much as i would like to blame MLB The Show going to xbox for free or many of the other cock ups by Sony in the last few months, I dont think this is on Jim Ryan. The PS5 is still outselling the PS4 when launch aligned.
Jim Ryan didn't have anything to do with the show going multiplat, that was declared from on high by the mlb

Top Bottom