• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Bryank75

Banned
Hardware numbers mean crap until you can walk into a store and they are sitting on shelves.

This shows Xbox is getting more stock out there and have a pretty good feeling the next couple of months Xbox is going to have tons more stock then PS5.

But I am happy for team green as I love my Series X is a great piece of tech

If Jim Ryan allows that, he is failing.

Stock should be allocated to USA first, it's the most competitive area.

Mokus

Yeah who want to buy an xbox if ps5 is not aviable? People who think is the same console?
Or CoD and FIFA gamers? I knew someone who was a big FIFA player and told that the reason he bought Xbox One was because he couldn't find PS4 at launch.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't understand why MS can manufacture more Series X than Sony can PS5, it's not really making much sense.

Its not so much of making more per say.

First off MS was using Series X hardware to upgrade all their cloud servers now that is complete all that hardware can go to Series X.

Plus Xbox knows where its main target audience is and like ManaByte ManaByte said where they are manufactured plays a huge role on getting that main target audience stocked up

Thirty7ven

Banned
MS manufactures a lot of hardware, specifically Xboxes, in Mexico. Makes it easier to restock.
Because they're actually not manufacturing more globally. Since Xbox's are made in Mexico it's just quicker to restock in NA.

It has never been a factor before, it's not like shipments happen daily....

The real factor will be MS diverting stock to U.S because it's not selling fast enough in the rest of the world. Has nothing to do with where the console is made, or how many they are actually making.

Last edited:

Three

What was the last metric for digital sales on Playstation? Around 60/40 digital/physical split? On Xbox I am not sure but it will be higher simply because since Xbox One S, Microsoft was consistently pushing digital.

With the recent reports of the general 75/25% between digital/physical, retail charts are becoming more and more useless.
So why do you assume it's higher and make up numbers? Because it aligns with your feelings?

Digital to physical was reported by Sony to be 74% digital 26% physical last year. It's likely to be even higher now.

Why? Because of Series S?
No, probably because MS will provide less % of supply to Azure servers. It was speculated that the smaller supply (it was really small in comparison to Playstation to the point that even if Xbox started to make the consoles later it did not make sense) of Xbox in retail was due to server blades. Now with the server blades mostly migrated, MS will deliver more consoles to retail.

So why do you assume it's higher and make up numbers
On Xbox digital split is higher than on Playstation. That's not the secret. In fact, on Xbox there are games that don't even have physical releases at all. It is of course not 99.9999%/0.00001% (lol) like on PC, but it is higher than on Playstation.

Last edited:

Three

On Xbox digital split is higher than on Playstation. That's not the secret. In fact, on Xbox there are games that don't even have physical releases at all. It is of course not 99.9999%/0.00001% (lol) like on PC, but it is higher than on Playstation.
Why? what is it if you're so sure?
There are games without physical releases on PS too.

mejin

What's the split?

8a9.jpg

iHaunter

But but...Xbox has no games...

It only proves that releasing exclusive games (like Rift Apart) in times when people will still "out of stock" your hardware without it is literally pointless because you can't boost sales of your console more...
Xbox does have no games. You see any games on that list?

It's not just consoles, all electronic hardware is selling out due to lack of material. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than that.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
But but...Xbox has no games...

It only proves that releasing exclusive games (like Rift Apart) in times when people will still "out of stock" your hardware without it is literally pointless because you can't boost sales of your console more...
Ya, pointless to make games for the people who support your platform.

KingT731

The real factor will be MS diverting stock to U.S because it's not selling fast enough in the rest of the world. Has nothing to do with where the console is made, or how many they are actually making.
It's currently a factor when you look at global performance. Xbox's 2 top territories are NA/UK and they are getting crushed in EU/UK while NA is a bit more even.

Mr Moose

Source?

Could be a number of things, but those big ass ships take a while to arrive compared to Mexico.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If they can keep stock up I expect they can beat all their previous records from now until after the Holidays.

Maybe, MS can get stock to be a little more consistent now they have updated the server blades to the series X. It felt like they were really trying to play catch up with production for a while. Best June for 10 years would be peak xbox 360 year right?

If that is true that is pretty damn crazy!

iHaunter

thats actually what demand means
You missed my point entirely. I may have no worded it correctly, but right now the issue is not demand it's production. So whose selling the most consoles is irrelevant. It's who can produce the MOST NOW.

Both consoles sell out IMMEDIETLY in all major regions. Within seconds in fact. I've been trying to get a PS5 for my buddy that wants GT7, RR, and Returnal. But even with stock alerts I can't seem to grab one. Been trying for 3 months.

All those people concerned about Scarlet Nexus Xbox sales from the UK thread……
Can find their worries confirmed in the NPD charts : XBox isn't moving software. The general software chart is pretty much the result of Playstation sales + Nintendo's. MLB is third on the PS, 10th on XB and 4th in the general. CoD:MW is 2nd on XB and 12th in the general charts

Last edited:

Nyxir

Are you living under a rock or are intentionally dense? Both consoles sell out within 5 seconds of stock alerts. Whoever is selling the most has nothing to do with demand. It's whoever can produce more at the moment.

P.S. STILL NO GAMES.
I truly feel sorry for you. But keep on fighting console warrior 💪
Oh and enjoy the ignor list douchbag.
Edit: And stop DMing me weirdo

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You missed my point entirely. I may have no worded it correctly, but right now the issue is not demand it's production. So whose selling the most consoles is irrelevant. It's who can produce the MOST NOW.

Both consoles sell out IMMEDIETLY in all major regions. Within seconds in fact. I've been trying to get a PS5 for my buddy that wants GT7, RR, and Returnal. But even with stock alerts I can't seem to grab one. Been trying for 3 months.
yeah makes more sense. im trying to help my colleague from work get one so far no luck

Thirty7ven

Banned
Maybe, MS can get stock to be a little more consistent now they have updated the server blades to the series X. It felt like they were really trying to play catch up with production for a while. Best June for 10 years would be peak xbox 360 year right?

If that is true that is pretty damn crazy!

There's a big problem there, which is why when talking about numbers people should be as objective as possible instead of trying to make them fit boxes.

In 2011 Xbox 360 would've been found for much cheaper, so dollar sales records isn't really a good indicator. The price disparity is just too big, with hardware what matters are unit sales.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes yes. Its a matter of “stock”

lol
It is. You could barely find an PlayStation 5 in-stock while Xbox Series S were still seen on shelves.

So they either had a lot of Xbox Series S in-stock OR the Xbox Series S is in low demand.

Top Bottom