• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June: #1 Switch, #2 Xbox, #3 Playstation 5, Ratchet #1 in SW

Ship more PS5's Jim Ryan!

disappointed ice cube GIF
Yeah tell him to get all of those spare PS5's he has in his garage shipped out asap lol.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That’s the real headline.
More people, more purchases.

We have alot of gamers this generation. Before, gamers were mocked. Now hot people play games. Any its generally acceptable hobby now. Its still, people will look down on you, if you tell them you play video games. I get that alot from my job.

Sales comparisons don't mean a whole lot until people can walk into a store and buy one, right now it's impossible to walk into a store and get a PS5 and a series x, sometimes you can get a series S but that's it. It's also clear both Sony and MS are making more $500 consoles than they are the cheaper versions so don't be surprised about high dollar amounts when one does a good job of shipping consoles out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5, overclocked to try and make up the difference resulting in a hideous big bulky design.
PS5 didnt overclock. 6700xt hits 2.5 ghz regularly and has an average game clock of 2.42 ghz. A full 200 mhz more than the PS5 clock despite having 4 more CUs.

vWtYAiW.jpg

RDNA 2.0 GPUs have insanely high clocks. PS5 is actually about average for RDNA 2.0 cards. It's actually the XSX that is severely underclocked to RDNA 1.0 game clocks. Not that any of this matters. Tflops are tflops.

The reason for the hideous design is actually to save on costs. The heatsinks are much cheaper to produce than vapor chamber cooling despite being massive in size. In reality, both the PS5 and XSX have the same power envelope. XSX maxes out at 210 and PS5 maxes out at 205w. It has nothing to do with overclocking.

Graphics Card RX 6700 XTRX 6900 XTRX 6800 XTRX 6800

Game Clock2424225022502105

Last edited:

Elios83

Excellent sales for R&C, well deserved for one of the first true next gen games.

Hardware sales are still hugely limited by supply.
In June Sony had just a couple of restocks for the US market, probably after 8 months of giving priority to this market they're finally giving some units to continental europe countries that have been deeply neglected.
Things should ramp up during summer Jim Ryan said.

kingfey

Banned
Sales comparisons don't mean a whole lot until people can walk into a store and buy one, right now it's impossible to walk into a store and get a PS5 and a series x, sometimes you can get a series S but that's it. It's also clear both Sony and MS are making more $500 consoles than they are the cheaper versions so don't be surprised about high dollar amounts when one does a good job of shipping consoles out.
500+300=$800 for xbox.
500+400=$900 for playstation.

If overall sales are higher, it means they sold more xss, and xsx than the ps5 digital, and non digital. For example $90m is 100k for PlayStation for both consoles. for xbox it would mean 112,500 consoles sold. 12k more consoles sold. So for xbox to outsell ps5 on $ range, they will need to sell more consoles than ps5. That is a high feat, considering ps5 is selling 2x xbox consoles.

kingfey

Banned
Even though it wasn't Jim Ryan's call, putting MLB The Show on Xbox is getting Sony even MORE money.
We can say the same thing for deathloop, and ghostwire tokyo. Free money for xbox.

In reality, it sucks for both consoles. The thing they worked hard for their customers, is being used on the opposite competition. it stings for devs. At least more people will enjoy their product.

elliot5

We can say the same thing for deathloop, and ghostwire tokyo. Free money for xbox.

In reality, it sucks for both consoles. The thing they worked hard for their customers, is being used on the opposite competition. it stings for devs. At least more people will enjoy their product.
it stings for devs to have their console on the "opposite competition"? I can assure you they don't really care. If anything, it will only sting if not enough people enjoy their product (poor sales or reception), not because of the platform its on.

The people at Arkane and Tango have been part of MS for only like 4 months now. I doubt they're gonna be choked up that their product isn't releasing on Xbox after working on it for 3+ years.

xbox is selling only in us so they have more stock there and maybe couple more countries, sony has to satisfy demand all over the world

Xbox is only selling in the USA, except the sales it has in india, and the UK and many other countries all over the world. Maybe you meant to say selling best in the U.S. or the U.S. is its strongest market? There's no way there are no Xbox Series X|S consoles being anywhere else in the world.

I know I'm taking you literally, but there's not much wiggle room with what you said. Microsoft has to satisfy demand all over the world as well, same as Sony. There have even been Xbox Series consoles sold in Japan.

Funny these kinds of excuses are never made when Playstation outsells Xbox. To my knowledge, the Series X launch countries were many more than the Playstation 5s, were they not? If I'm mistaken on that, feel free to correct me.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
in the bay you can go to any costco and pick up a xbox series s easily. i have guys constantly badgering me for ps5s and I cant keep up

Hezekiah

Banned
How long though? 2 years would be for Sony. But what after that. Do you think people will still buy ps5, over xbox?

Keep in mind, that Xbox is still selling, despite not having any launch games. This is first time, in a console history, which a console sold without games. If its keeps selling that number, than what do you think will happen, when they have games?
Yes, because Playstation is a much bigger brand than Xbox, and it has the most sought after existing IPs. Not to mention all the new ones in development.

Do you think everyone is suddenly going to start buying Xbox's because of Starfield and Perfect Dark? Xbox has limited appeal in Europe and South America, and almost non-existent in Asia.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, ps5 will outsell xbox in the US. Pc is the reason. Xbox games are day1 on steam. Pc players wont buy xbox console. So that will have negative impact on the console sales.

I know a lot of pc gamers and they dont buy ps5s or Xboxs it's literally pc and switch.

kingfey

Banned
xbox is selling only in us so they have more stock there and maybe couple more countries, sony has to satisfy demand all over the world
Are you saying xbox isnt selling anything outside?

We are talking about a console, you literally screamed has no games. Yet it sold 5m with no games.

And now you are making excuses.

Everyone knew it was gonna sell like this. But the fact that the console sold 5m without any first party games, speaks itself how much demand it has. but keep believing that to yourself.

kingfey

Banned
I know a lot of pc gamers and they dont buy ps5s or Xboxs it's literally pc and switch.
from where I come from, pc guys are dying for bloodborne pc port. And now demon souls happened. So yes, they will buy ps5. Xbox has their games day1 on steam, and they wont touch the windows store 1 feet close.

kretos

Banned
Xbox is only selling in the USA, except the sales it has in india, and the UK and many other countries all over the world. Maybe you meant to say selling best in the U.S. or the U.S. is its strongest market? There's no way there are no Xbox Series X|S consoles being anywhere else in the world.

I know I'm taking you literally, but there's not much wiggle room with what you said. Microsoft has to satisfy demand all over the world as well, same as Sony. There have even been Xbox Series consoles sold in Japan.

Funny these kinds of excuses are never made when Playstation outsells Xbox. To my knowledge, the Series X launch countries were many more than the Playstation 5s, were they not? If I'm mistaken on that, feel free to correct me.

yeah that's what i mean, they can compete with Sony in USA, UK and couple more countries? everywhere else is blue territory, WW it's already 2:1

Japan? gimme a break lol this is the last sales update i've seen
  • PlayStation 5 – 15,648 (684,515)
  • PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,771 (135,284)
  • Xbox Series X – 2,182 (36,185)
  • PlayStation 4 – 1,185 (7,792,135)
  • Xbox Series S – 512 (12,642)

kingfey

Banned
Yes, because Playstation is a much bigger brand than Xbox, and it has the most sought after existing IPs. Not to mention all the new ones in development.

Do you think everyone is suddenly going to start buying Xbox's because of Starfield and Perfect Dark? Xbox has limited appeal in Europe and South America, and almost non-existent in Asia.
The last time a brand used its name, it went out of business (netflix/blockbuster). Convenient, and affordability rules. Casuals will go to where their is value. The last thing they care is brand loyalty, or else xbox would have dominated last gen, because how popular x360 was.

Plus, first 2 years are the people who love the brand. Its the years after that, which is critical.

kretos

Banned
Are you saying xbox isnt selling anything outside?

We are talking about a console, you literally screamed has no games. Yet it sold 5m with no games.

And now you are making excuses.

Everyone knew it was gonna sell like this. But the fact that the console sold 5m without any first party games, speaks itself how much demand it has. but keep believing that to yourself.

see previous post

and what excuses? i'm stating facts

kingfey

Banned
see previous post

and what excuses? i'm stating facts
You arent. You posted japan, the place where PlayStation was created. And xbox is a non-existent in japan, because its foreign brand.

Try western countries.

This breakdown by country is from January

country-data.jpg

There was an intersting shift in may but it looks like it may be temorary

cogT4v4.png
This data has more clear data, even though its January. The months, were ps5 was selling fast.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
You arent. You posted japan, the place where PlayStation was created. And xbox is a non-existent in japan, because its foreign brand.

Try western countries.

This data has more clear data, even though its January. The months, were ps5 was selling fast.

ok maybe i'm fucked up in the head or something so explain to me what i'm seeing? i see 10 boxes 2 green and 8 blue what does this mean?

kingfey

Banned
ok maybe i'm fucked up in the head or something so explain to me what i'm seeing? i see 10 boxes 2 green and 8 blue what does this mean?
It means accurate information. a non biased information. I wouldnt have posted this picture, if i had a bias towards xbox.

They are selling their consoles in these countries, and shipping as fast as they can. Their supply isnt only for usa. Hope this helps.

yeah that's what i mean, they can compete with Sony in USA, UK and couple more countries? everywhere else is blue territory, WW it's already 2:1

Japan? gimme a break lol this is the last sales update i've seen
  • PlayStation 5 – 15,648 (684,515)
  • PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,771 (135,284)
  • Xbox Series X – 2,182 (36,185)
  • PlayStation 4 – 1,185 (7,792,135)
  • Xbox Series S – 512 (12,642)

Microsoft proved with Xbox 360 they don't need to compete with Sony everywhere to still maintain sizeable market share.

Even Xbox One, which lost significant market share to PS4, hasn't seen Sony return to PS2 level market share advantage over Xbox.

Times are very different. Playstation as a brand use to enjoy much greater than a 2:1 sales advantage over Xbox. Right now both companies are selling everything they can produce. You still can't walk into a store and easily find Xbox Series X or S units, so any talk of what is truly going to happen this gen is premature at best.

Even with the mistakes from Xbox One, Xbox as a brand is a lot more popular than it has ever been.

Sales in Japan count the same as sales anywhere else.

[Sigma]

Impressive for Ratchet considering it's PS5 only. I do wonder if it's going to be the next Miles Morales in terms of sales when PS5 get stock bumps. On a side note, looks like Ghost officially moved past TLOU2 in the U.S for the 12 month period ending in June. I figured it was going to do that eventually as Ghost has continued to track higher since it released basically. Surprised it fell out of the top 10 though which could mean that slots 4 though 10 are fragile. I'll be a little interested to see if Ghost manages to stay in the top 10 next month.

Last edited:
It means accurate information. a non biased information. I wouldnt have posted this picture, if i had a bias towards xbox.

They are selling their consoles in these countries, and shipping as fast as they can. Their supply isnt only for usa. Hope this helps.

Xbox sold consoles based on its own strength. Not cause competition fucked up or anything like that.

Unlike previous gen.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox sold consoles based on its own strength. Not cause competition fucked up or anything like that.

Unlike previous gen.
One thing "GAMEPASS". No way, people will buy xbox, if it werent for that. As someone who enjoys xbox, Gamepass is the main reason, why I joined the ecosystem. Or else, I would have been a PC guy all in.

ethomaz

Banned
Valve is doing pc handle held, so i doubt they are going to use that. especially, since their console can do high end graphic.
I'm not sure about that.

It is a mobile Zen 2 4C/8T @ 3.5Ghz and RDNA 2 with 8 CUs @ 1.6Ghz.
It is nowhere close to the consoles... it is even way inferior to Series S.

In fact it is something found in low/mid-end notebooks.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'm not sure about that.

It is a mobile Zen 2 4C/8T @ 3.5Ghz and RDNA 2 with 8 CUs @ 1.6Ghz.
It is nowhere close to the consoles... it is even way inferior to Series S.

In fact it is something found in low/mid-end notebooks.

valve steam deck specs.

ethomaz

Banned

valve steam deck specs.
I posted the specs lol
It is in the very low-mid-end mobile specs.

"It is a mobile Zen 2 4C/8T @ 3.5Ghz and RDNA 2 with 8 CUs @ 1.6Ghz."

BTW your link is wrong because it is not DDR5 but LPDDR5.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
from where I come from, pc guys are dying for bloodborne pc port. And now demon souls happened. So yes, they will buy ps5. Xbox has their games day1 on steam, and they wont touch the windows store 1 feet close.

They are dying for bloodborne but didn't buy a ps4 and would rather wait for the hope of a pc port than buy a 30 fps console.

I'd put money they would rather wait for any sniff of a chance of a pc version than buy a ps5. I'm only talking about hard-core pc players I know and I work with a shitload of them.

kingfey

Banned
I posted the specs lol
It is in the very low-mid-end mobile specs.

"It is a mobile Zen 2 4C/8T @ 3.5Ghz and RDNA 2 with 8 CUs @ 1.6Ghz."

BTW your link is wrong because it is not DDR5 but LPDDR5.
Do these journalists, even check up what they write? That is one sticky mistake.

Also, how does that chip produce those graphics? Does that mean, mobiles are advancing too much? 10 years ago, they were doing snakes, and now this.

kingfey

Banned
They are dying for bloodborne but didn't buy a ps4 and would rather wait for the hope of a pc port than buy a 30 fps console.

I'd put money they would rather wait for any sniff of a chance of a pc version than buy a ps5. I'm only talking about hard-core pc players I know and I work with a shitload of them.
Ps5 is 60 fps, and can do 120 fps. So this might change their mind.

Everyone has a limit. I bought switch, even though I can emulate on pc. But I got fed up with how the emulation was working. Went a head, and bought switch. Yuzu is bad, and runs like a crap. Ryuujinx is hard to know. I tried everything I can to set it up, but failed every time.

Top Bottom