• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2022 - Total revenue down 9% YoY , down 10% YTD, PS5 #1 Rev, Switch #1 units and Xenoblade 3 enters at #4

reksveks

Matt's tweets

Hardware Summary:
- PS5 #1 Revenue July and YTD, Switch #1 Units both periods
- July Revenue is PS5, Xbox, Switch
- July Units is Switch, PS5, Xbox
- Both PS5 and Xbox revenue up double digits, total console revenue up 12% YoY, down 7% YTD
- 22% drop in accessories revenue; drop in 'Gamepad' spending
- Still a MoM drop in terms of consoles (down 3% but last year the drop between June and July was like 20%)

Software Summary:
- XB3 #4 in July despite no Digital sales
- Digimon #8 despite having 2 days tracked
- Multiverse #1 for the July (Founders pack)
- Content down 22% YoY, down 15% YTD

Will update as I dig in and update my table.

0squ6Lo.png

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I thought MultiVersus was free to play... And also a beta in July.

What dumbass is buying shitty Vanguard in July? Or was it really cheap?
Horizon doing well in the YTD (without bundles).

Last edited:
Nice to see XB3 get some sales. I bought it even though I'll probably not have time to start it until 2024. But I think it's worth supporting a first party making a JRPG. It looks pretty good.

Elios83

PS5 stock improving considerably as Sony stated.
Like happened in the UK a couple of decent months were enough to push it to number one in yearly revenues.
Here in Europe Amazon is now always selling the Horizon bundle at retail price with invitations. Previously it was always out of stock or available through third party scalpers.
The actual turnaround in availability should be in September.

Dane

Digimon Survive in top 10 only with two tracked days? I'm positively surprised.
I wonder if this is the beggining of a trend to not spend of marketing of estabilished brands, Soul Hackers 2 has been barely marketed but it could have word of mouth and good sales at launch. People tought that Digimon Survive became a sunk cost and was let to die, only to have surprisingly good sales.

Last edited:
PS5 stock improving considerably as Sony stated.
Like happened in the UK a couple of decent months were enough to push it to number one in yearly revenues.
Here in Europe Amazon is now always selling the Horizon bundle at retail price with invitations. Previously it was always out of stock or available through third party scalpers.
The actual turnaround in availability should be in September.
Yup...PS5 is getting better now, but starting in September and until 2023 it'll be even better. PS5 + God of War is going to be the bundle to get this Christmas.

Physical *and full game digital for Nintendo is now tracked?? When did that start happening?! Finally.

Xenoblade sales #4 overall and top-selling software for Switch is well-deserved. My goodness, what a game.

I'm assuming Nintendo is going to work with Warner Bros. on getting Multiversus on Switch. Absolutely no technical reason it wouldn't be able to run on it just fine, with some optimization.

Glad to see supply-chain issues slowly getting better for the new consoles. It's about time!

I still think Playstation's got the Elden Ring DLC reveal on lockdown for their next State of Play. I'd figure that over a surprise reveal at Gamescom, with so few major publishers attending this year. Hopefully next year we get full participation from the Big 3 for the new E3 show and next summer's Gamescom.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It's not though. It's barely tracking ahead of 2, despite having 10 times the install base.
What?

XC 2 tracked at number 16 in its first month(And it released on December 1st. So it had a full month of data).

And XC DE tracked at number 14th when it launched on the 29th.

Its doing MOUNTAINS better than the previous entries, and thats without digital, which is sure to be much higher than when 2 and DE launched.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys live on the moon.

Edit: Even Matt says XC 3 performance was seriously impressive in one of his tweets.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Physical *and full game digital for Nintendo is now tracked?? When did that start happening?! Finally.

Xenoblade sales #4 overall and top-selling software for Switch is well-deserved. My goodness, what a game.

I'm assuming Nintendo is going to work with Warner Bros. on getting Multiversus on Switch. Absolutely no technical reason it wouldn't be able to run on it just fine, with some optimization.

Glad to see supply-chain issues slowly getting better for the new consoles. It's about time!

I still think Playstation's got the Elden Ring DLC reveal on lockdown for their next State of Play. I'd figure that over a surprise reveal at Gamescom, with so few major publishers attending this year. Hopefully next year we get full participation from the Big 3 for the new E3 show and next summer's Gamescom.
Digital isn't being tracked. Unless I read something wrong.

It's not though. It's barely tracking ahead of 2, despite having 10 times the install base.
I always predicted that XB3 or Splatoon 3 will not outsell the previous games. It's late in the system life, and these are both direct sequels. And especially for story heavy games, each sequel has a chance of alienating people who didn't play the previous ones.

If it actually outsells XB2 at all, that's pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see where Xenoblade 3 ends up LTD. The series definitely seem to have gotten a strong foothold over the years.
It'll for sure be top-selling in the series, I don't see how it couldn't. To me it will be more interesting to see how much higher than 2 it will go. Xenoblade games have strong initial sales because they sell to the Xenoblade audience, but then no long tail. Maybe 3 will change that, and maybe it'll break the 5 million barrier sometime this generation. That would be an incredible achievement for a series that originally wasn't even going to be localized outside Japan, (on a system with a 100 million+ install base!!). Crazy how those decisions were ever made, to begin with.

Last edited:
It says "Physical and Full Game Digital from the Nintendo, Playstation, STEAM and Xbox platforms for publishers in the Digital Leaders Panel - ranked on dollar sales". What does that mean?
It means what it says, but then there are exceptions marked on the chart. Nintendo generally doesn't post digital numbers.

Mr Moose

It says "Physical and Full Game Digital from the Nintendo, Playstation, STEAM and Xbox platforms for publishers in the Digital Leaders Panel - ranked on dollar sales". What does that mean?
Anything in the list with * next to it doesn't include digital, some games on Nintendo Switch may include digital numbers, like Monster Hunter: Rise (unless that's just PC, I dunno) and Digimon Survive.

Nautilus

Banned
I always predicted that XB3 or Splatoon 3 will not outsell the previous games. It's late in the system life, and these are both direct sequels. And especially for story heavy games, each sequel has a chance of alienating people who didn't play the previous ones.

If it actually outsells XB2 at all, that's pretty impressive.
XC 3 is doing FAR better than past entries almost everywhere, and the split between digital phisical should favor more digital nowadays.

Its going to outsell XC 2 easily.

It means what it says, but then there are exceptions marked on the chart. Nintendo generally doesn't post digital numbers.
That's what I thought, since that's always been the case. But then I saw that line at the end of the chart and thought maybe something had changed. Well, good on Xenoblade then! #4 overall without digital. I bought it digital!

Last edited:
That's what I thought, since that's always been the case. But then I saw that line at the end of the chart and thought maybe something had changed. Well, good on Xenoblade then! #4 overall without digital. I bought it digital!
Without digital, without Limited Edition physical, and with only 2 days of tracking. XC3 is gonna be a beast.

Go_Ly_Dow

XC3 is an incredible game, well deserved!

2 days sales only and no digital. So bodes well that it will pick up some of the slack from Japanese sales.

Nautilus

Banned
Oh yeah, in case anyone wonders: Nintendo has said that, globaly, the average split between physical and digital is around 50%.

So whatever XC 3 is doing phydically, the real sales numbers is probably double that.(So for example: In japan, XC 3 is already at 150k after 3 weeks of sales. Even if Japan digital ratio is lower, using Nintendo's own estimation of the sales split, XC 3 should have sold 300k in Japan ALONE. In 3 weeks. And XC strongest territory was always the US. Just to put things into perspective).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the sooner current gen console stock recovers, the sooner we move on from cross gen games.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Interesting how Horizon is supposed to be this huge flop, yet it's the 3rd biggest exclusive of the past 12 months, behind 2 Pokemon games basically.
Also, Miles Morales being #14 this year is quite something, considering this is a 2020 title

”Bundles”. Yet people don’t count Bundles for Mario Kart when it came with my Switch lol

Topher

Gold Member
no but i guess you are to NEOGAF NPD threads. how many times has #1 revenue been in the titles?

here..
https://www.neogaf.com/search/3343827/?q=npd&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Not sure I'm following your point here. Obviously R reksveks decided to include several highlights from the NPD report in the title this time:

Total revenue down 9% YoY , down 10% YTD, PS5 #1 Rev, Switch #1 units and Xenoblade 3 enters at #4​

You are being a bit selective as to what piece of information you find funny, aren't you?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Quite frankly Im shocked that MLB the Show is outselling GT7 and almost outsold Horizon FW. This is a series that sells a million copies a year. It is outselling GT which typically sells 10 million Lifetime. It likely outsold HFW if you dont count the latest bundles.

Maybe the actual sales figures are way better and MLB the Show is selling 2-3 million in its first few months nowadays. Sony needs to start releasing their numbers again so we can stop guestimating.

Top Bottom