• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nowhere Prophet dev: "Our opening weekend sales on PS4 were 5% of our Switch opening weekend sales"

nowhat

So I had to google what this is - apparently it's "a unique single-player card game", released initially over a year ago on PC, with 73 in Metacritic (6.2 user score). Whopping 8 professional and 9 user reviews.

This type of game isn't that well suited for PS4, I can't say I'm surprised.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LOL these devs are so weird publicly whining about this stuff.

Yes it's the reality of releasing an unknown / dinky little game on a platform where people are spending their money on AAAA first party titles a couple of times a year... but there are other platforms for you to make money..

This is why having a bunch of different platforms with different focuses / markets is good.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
giphy.gif

So I had to google what this is - apparently it's "a unique single-player card game", released initially over a year ago on PC, with 73 in Metacritic (6.2 user score). Whopping 8 professional and 9 user reviews.
Good point. Also, it seems like such a weird tweet. What was the point of it? This seems like something I'd take up with Playstation, like "hey, is there any way we can get our 'unique single-player card game' more visibility on the PSN store?" The tweet almost makes it sound like either their were a ton of PS players asking for this port, or PS asking for this port. The devs putting in the work and now they're like "Where are you people now that were asking for this?!?!"

Either way, it does suck for the dev. 5% of anything is not really good. I hope they bounce back.

reinking

Gold Member
The more I think about his quote "aka we barely sold anything at all on PS4 " the more I think it means they had low sale numbers on Switch too. I mean, even a 95% increase of "barely anything" isn't going to be much.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's on Gamepass, added a week ago. I did a thread on it on the weekend.

I only played 1 match and I'm no expert at deck building games, but I thought it was very polished and solid game. Will play more on the weekend.

Nice graphics and fast smooth interface. It takes a bit to get used to the controls if you just dive in like me. Make sure to read the tips/strategies.

Kerotan

Apart from a potential demographic difference switch owners, and there's a lot of them are thirsty as fuck to buy new games. On the ps4 it's late in the gen and we are literally spoiled for choice.

At the start of this gen id check out every game that goes in the store. Now with my backlog I only ever go on to buy a game I know I want.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's on Gamepass, added a week ago. I did a thread on it on the weekend.

I only played 1 match and I'm no expert at deck building games, but I thought it was very polished and solid game. Will play more on the weekend.

Nice graphics and fast smooth interface. It takes a bit to get used to the controls if you just dive in like me. Make sure to read the tips/strategies.

yeah it's pretty good. It's no Monster Train but I did finish it a few times already. Obviously card games are more suited to PC or Switch (or iPad).

edit: for anyone that cares the combat is Hearthstone-ish. Unlike Dungeon Runs ins hearthstone it's not about building a wacky deck, it's building a deck that is good enough to survive through all the areas as cards that die when they are injured get perma death. That cards get injured does hurt deck synergy because it pays more in the long run to use healthy cards so that the injured cards can get healed. To me the typical low level of deck synergy is the main flaw in the game, however I obviously still find it fun considering I've played a run a day and they can last several hours

Last edited:

Rikoi

I am not sure who he is blaming.
The players? The console? Sony?
If this guy releases games more suited for mobile gaming of course switch will be the better platform

mckmas8808

Banned

Yeah....it seems best suited on the Switch. Not surprised at these sales.

Ar¢tos

I'm all for indies and I often will pick an indie/AA game over an AAA one, but that game doesn't look very interesting... MTG without fantasy theme?
Hmm... nah...

Fbh

Just looking at the trailer it looks like it would maybe fit better on phones?

IMO $25 also seems a bit steep for a game that (at least based on the trailer) seems to have pretty low production values with mostly just static images even during gameplay. And if they released last week it also means they released during a big PSN sale where for less than $25 you can get games like Spider Man, The Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Monster Hunter World, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Metro Exodus, A plague Tale, Judgement, etc or for just $5 more you can get fairly recent heavy hitters like Doom Eternal, Red Dead 2 or Borderlands 3.

Last edited:

spawn

I have no clue what that even is

Update: Looked it up. Looks like a mobile game or a game that could have been made on PS2 hardware. No thanks.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If Switch owners are playing this, that says more about Switch's library and the mess of the eShop than it does about PS4.

Indies do sell better on Switch than PS4. But, mediocre/no-name games sell MUCH better on Switch.

I'm not trying to disparage Switch as a system, as I love it. But there is so much garbage on there and the way the eShop is set up, shovelware gets as much attention as quality games.

Agent X

I wasn't really aware of this game until reading a similar thread on another forum. I took a cursory look at it, and...no, thanks, this isn't my type of game.

It's not that PS4 owners don't buy indie games. I just bought Demon's Tilt and Cuphead on Tuesday (the day both of them released), so it's not like I'm stingy. But to be honest, even if I was aware of Nowhere Prophet, I wouldn't have bought, just simply because it doesn't appeal to me.

If I were to buy a game like this, I'd be more inclined to do so on PC...but (for my gaming tastes) I would not have bought it there, either. No offense to the publisher or developer, but this just isn't my cup of tea.

I'm not going to attempt to explain why it sold poorly on PS4, or why it sold better on other platforms. I'm just explaining why I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

One glaring problem that was mentioned on the other forum is that the publisher approached Sony about applying a discount for the launch of the game, and Sony apparently said that they were "too busy" to get back to them.

If that is the case, then this is a huge failing on Sony's part.They need to work on better developer relations, in order to avoid such problems in the future.

Top Bottom