• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that I think of it, it's kinda sad Sonic Boom games failed

Whitecrow

Banned
I didnt play or watch anyone play them. All I heard is that they are terrible.

But after watching the Sonic Boom show and seeing how hilarious it is (for me at least), i find sad that this branch of the franchise failed.

I think the show has one thing that most recent games lack: well defined characters.

I guess its because of the medium, but meanwhile the games portrait Sonic as the main hero and all others as fillers, Sonic Boom gave each character its own identity and they played along nicely.

Special mention to Amy, which in the games is insufferable, but here she is a lot more grounded, funny, and adorable.

Theres only one thing I really didnt like, and it was knuckles. His design is too overthetop and he as a comedy relief doesnt always... Fit? Its weird.

Honestly, I would love a good game with this gang. Or at least some sort of continuation of the branch.

Ofc its not as bombastic and spectacular as the main branch, with constant battles to save the world, but I would gladly sacrifice that for a good cast of characters that can carry the game on their own.

Ok gaf come at me

Whitecrow

Banned
I liked 06 too, the again, mostly thanks to its characters and the narrative going on.

Sadly, 06 failing told Sonic team that the right thing was having only Sonic playable... Interesting how things turn out

levyjl1988

Banned
I enjoy the Sonic Boom franchise. The quippy humour is the reason I loved it. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and feels meta like Deadpool in a not so dark way. I bought all the games. The series has potential but was directed in the wrong way by SEGA and we couldn’t get the interpretation that RedBigButton wanted to say. Anyways I enjoyed the franchise. Time will tell and this short lived series will again gets traction for the things it got right.
gb9AsuT.jpg

The Stig

I read the title and was ready to be shocked but this makes sense if the cartoon was ok.

The game was absolutely irredeemable. I want to know who greenlit that abomination. I want to open their brain and find out exactly what they were thinking.

These three people who like 06 need to be in prison

yeah, this is just heresy. the game is unplayable.

I got the Wii U game on day one. I'll never forget that day. Walked into Gamestop to pick up my pre-order. The employees looked at the game like it was a mistake and you could sense they wanted to talk me out of it.

radewagon

Totally agree. It's like there was a possible branching off point where the future of Sonic could have looked more like the Ratchet and Clank series. For one, I think it would have been great. For all the obsession with speed, the original Sonic was VERY heavy on platforming with little to no speeding around, in certain areas, for long periods of time. Marble Madness Zone, for example is comprised almost entirely of slow methodical platforming. The over-reliance on roller-coaster type gameplay in modern sonic games has not been a particularly good one.

Belthazar

Sonic boom isn't bad if you play it emulated... It was just held back by the Wii U. The game was always struggling to run in there. I mean, it's not the best Sonic game in the world but it was way better than what it was running on a Wii U.

Sonic 06 is also solid in it's foundation, play Project 06 and you'll see. It just needed a lot of time in the over for polish, but the actual gameplay and level design was pretty solid.

levyjl1988

Banned
The game was absolutely irredeemable. I want to know who greenlit that abomination. I want to open their brain and find out exactly what they were thinking.

Not many know the story just only the end product, but you can blame SEGA for taking control, cutting off lore and interesting concepts, and saddling them with a shitty engine. You have to blame SEGA, instead of trusting the developers to make a unique interpretation the backwards Japanese mindset kicked in and ruined what could be great. I don't see SEGA doing any live-action Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog movies because we know that it will suck.

The Stig

Not many know the story just only the end product, but you can blame SEGA for taking control, cutting off lore and interesting concepts, and saddling them with a shitty engine. You have to blame SEGA, instead of trusting the developers to make a unique interpretation the backwards Japanese mindset kicked in and ruined what could be great. I don't see SEGA doing any live-action Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog movies because we know that it will suck.

ok im gonna watch that now

Sonic Boom had a lot of good ideas but felt like they were rushed to push the game out before it was finished. I enjoyed parts of the game. It wasn't all bad.

anthony2690

Banned
I enjoy the Sonic Boom franchise. The quippy humour is the reason I loved it. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and feels meta like Deadpool in a not so dark way. I bought all the games. The series has potential but was directed in the wrong way by SEGA and we couldn’t get the interpretation that RedBigButton wanted to say. Anyways I enjoyed the franchise. Time will tell and this short lived series will again gets traction for the things it got right.
gb9AsuT.jpg
Now your crazy threads and posts make sense, you have the world's biggest sonic boom collection.

Joking aside, glad you have something you enjoy.

As someone who played Adventure and Lost World when they came out, Forces a couple of years ago and just slogged my way through Colors, let me say this... I'm about 40% into the Sonic campaign in Sonic 06, and so far it's only about 20% more busted than those games were. They all have pretty similar issues. They're all hilarious.

Granted, I know that apparently the further you get into the respective campaigns, the more busted they become. So I haven't seen the worst (best?) of it yet.

I always felt like Sega screwed Nintendo when they made Boom one of the exclusive Wii U Sonic games (IIRC it was a two-game deal along with Lost World). They had to know that game was going to be junk.

Always thought Boom was generic and forgettable, even the halfway descent 3DS games felt like generic kids crap like SkyLanders.
Meanwhile, 06 could've been atleast more fun without the bugs and glitches because it actually felt like a Sonic game.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I liked some of the things they did conceptually, and I have always wanted a game closer to Adventure or even more along the lines of a 3D Mario game.

I have to be some sort of weirdo, but I never played them like some on rails game where I tried to go as fast as I could. I would get the power ups and check the books and crannies and look for the different paths in the levels.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sonic 06 was a lot of fun despite its flaws.
It had some redeeming qualities, but it was a drag to play.

The ideas behind it were awesome, but I think they rushed it to fit into Sonic's 15th anniversary year. It needed a little more work, at least six more months. A little polishing and debugging would have gone a long way.

Top Bottom