• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that games are 70 dollars and 80 euro, there should be a week one discount

Hatsuma

Don't underestimate the irresistible need a lot of people have to own games on day 1.
I thought day 1 sales would for sure see a significant drop in the last 3-4 years now that most games are already on sale after as little as 1-2 months. But nope, in fact people seem more eager than ever to pick things up at launch.

Hell, when you see someone who is on the fence about a new release, suggesting to them to maybe wait a few days and check out online impressions before buying it still often seen as this completely unreasonable thing to do.

It's like:
"Hmmmm they have hardly shown any console footage of Cyberpunk, I wonder if the console version is crap?"
"Well you could just wait a couple of days before buying and the internet will be full of videos and impressions letting you know exactly how good or badly it runs"
"No way!!! I need this right now!!!! I have it pre loaded on my console and ready to go the very second it's out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- a day later-
"OMG it looks and runs like crap, this sucks. How could this happen? fucking hell there was no way to know this before buying!!!"
Lmao, yep. For us, who frequent online sites, we typically research the games. Though Cyberpunk for some reason was a blind spot to various red flags for gamers online and outlets. Literally, the moment the base consoles couldn't be reviewed or shown off, reviewers couldn't even show captured footage, and when such a high profile game was reviewed so late, there were immense red flags on this game. And people were so mesmerized by CDPR, they had unlimited consumer trust from one game and flowery words.

Consumer trust is quite powerful thing and should be earned by companies, developers, or manufacturers. It is proven usually, so in the meantime, proper research is effective. And I really don't think casuals are as stupid as many proclaim. I think some are going by reddit and review sites. They just pay for what they value

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I remember some SNES and N64 games costing $80. But you have it wrong. If you factor in inflation, those would be way more expensive.

The people that suffer most from the increase are the people who don’t wait for sales. I would guess a lot of casuals, gifts, and kids/parents would fall into that category.
You are completely right.
What I wanted to say is that games that were sold for 50 bucks (which were most games I think) are about as costly as new games for 80 bucks if you factor in inflation. As for old games that were sold for 80 bucks, those would be around 140 bucks today, which is insane. Gaming ain't cheap, never was.

DESTROYA

No game is a day 1 purchase anyway. Yes $70 games is a shitty idea but once the toothpaste is out of the tube it’s hard putting it back.
Ive been doing it for years now, wait a month or 2 when games are heavily discounted and patched for any issues and you can get twice as many games for your money.
I get it we’re all gamers here but having a little patience never hurt especially if you think your getting ripped off .

Animagic

Banned
New games went for $70-80 back in the SNES and N64 days. I guess we will see how people react. I for one, have no interest in paying those prices today. Unlike the SNES/N64 days, there are so many more options for games to play today that it's easy for me to ignore and just do something else.

TheBoss1

I've waited 5 months now for NBA 2K21 (PS5) to go on sale. I refuse to pay $60 for it so what makes them think I will pay $70? It's sooooooo annoying :messenger_hushed:

The fact that games still cost the same that they did ~30 years ago should make people happy. They were selling games for this much in the 1990s.

Maybe a lot of you weren't around for that. Those same games would be over hundred dollars in today's money. So if we just kept with inflation, games would be $100 minimum.

They are actually $30 cheaper than they would be if the prices stayed the same for 30 years. Yet people endlessly bitch about this over and over.

Not to mention that games nowadays also offer immense value, dozens or even hundreds of hours of play, or even games that are continuously updated for years.

People have no idea how good we have it. Sad.

Last edited:

Hatsuma

The fact that games still cost the same that they did ~30 years ago should make people happy. They were selling games for this much in the 1990s.

Maybe a lot of you weren't around for that. Those same games would be over hundred dollars in today's money. So if we just kept with inflation, games would be $100 minimum.

They are actually $30 cheaper than they would be if the prices stayed the same for 30 years. Yet people endlessly bitch about this over and over.

Not to mention that games nowadays also offer immense value, dozens or even hundreds of hours of play, or even games that are continuously updated for years.

People have no idea how good we have it. Sad.
The thing is, people will pay for what they value. A majority are yelling into the void, because while arguing about the business strategy, game industry spends have been going up. Despite harsher economic times, because people want entertainment and escape.

People value fun and replayability at different heights as well. That's why gaming has usurped movies in value. People are paying $30+ dollars for an hour + of passive entertainment. That's why I laugh at the notion of one and done. Just as you can rewatch movies, you can replay games.

Gaming has always been expensive despite being being very resource demanding and valuable than movies. And like you mentioned, games are cheaper today for far more effort than in the past. If anything this price increase just serves to make one more conscious of the quality outputting from dev,publisher, or manufacturer. The Playstation Studios branding was very intelligent because it brands 1st and 2nd party ip, and indicates to the less aware, "this is a Playstation Studios production or collaboration. Have confidence, this is of quality'. People will pay for what they value, and the charts and reports validate that. Whether it's time or money or both

Last edited:

Esppiral

Not every single game is 80€, plus games like demon's Soul is 80€ on the store but 59,99€ on Amazon,... You just need to be wise with you purchases

Ellery

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and FROM Software games day1 and the rest of the bunch 20$ 2 months later. Seems like everyone else is struggling to make games better than 8/10 nowadays anyway.

The microsoft approach regarding mediocre games is much better. They just puteverything on Gamepass. Can't complain about games like Crackdown 3 if you rent them a month for 1$.

But when something like Godfall happens and they want full price for a 6/10 then I can just shake my head in disbelief.

Returnal is the next interesting game. I am looking forward to it, but I would be stupid to preorder this game at full price, because I expect there to be a great than 20% chance it might be not supergreat.

Granted this is a subjective scale, but there are also people that eat expensive steaks well done with Ketchup so they can pay full price for Anthem and Final Fantasy XV.

N30RYU

Just share your account with a close friend... and go 50/50 for day one games (not more than 6 o 7 a year)

Last edited:
If you ask me, making games 70 dollars and 80 euro was a mistake...pricing some people out of day 1 sales and working against the marketing push that goes hand in hand with launch.
When people don't get a game on day 1, they are more and more likely to wait for significant sales, resulting in large amounts of lost profit.

I think Sony should try and do discounts in reverse (not that it hasn't been done before) and offer games at 60 dollars and 65-70 euro for the launch week and then revert to the higher price after that week.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas to get more people in on day 1? (PlayStation Gamepass is not an acceptable answer)
No no. Sony games are the pinnacle of gaming. they are worth the $70 price tag ,and we should pay it. we need them to make money and continue to produce us higher quality games. Making a discount will devalue it, and make it not as great as it could have been.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The more i think about it the more bizarre a one week discount sounds, i mean if your the first to get ps5 in the first week should you get it cheaper than everybody else?

It’s all about company’s maximising their profits and sony is wanting to make as much money as possible so there would be no chance of it.just have to accept games prices have gone up

Hatsuma

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and FROM Software games day1 and the rest of the bunch 20$ 2 months later. Seems like everyone else is struggling to make games better than 8/10 nowadays anyway.

The microsoft approach regarding mediocre games is much better. They just puteverything on Gamepass. Can't complain about games like Crackdown 3 if you rent them a month for 1$.

But when something like Godfall happens and they want full price for a 6/10 then I can just shake my head in disbelief.

Returnal is the next interesting game. I am looking forward to it, but I would be stupid to preorder this game at full price, because I expect there to be a great than 20% chance it might be not supergreat.

Granted this is a subjective scale, but there are also people that eat expensive steaks well done with Ketchup so they can pay full price for Anthem and Final Fantasy XV.
Hell, I'd pay for an 8/10. A lot of devs are struggling to get past a 6 let alone a 7. That was the funniest thing about the celebratory responses to Outriders being day and date on GP. The game looked mediocre, had a very low play rate for free demo, and likely had low presale numbers in addition to low interest. That's been the story of most of GPs offerings. Either that or the games are old and long exhausted retail. It is worth a $1 but may not be worth the time for a bulk offering of mediocre or budget games.

I'm interested in Returnal as well. It is reading to me like a very big budget Hades ($35). If it turns out really good, I'll cop it for full retail. Doesn't feel like they skipped on anything and may have an immense amount of replayability.

Last edited:
You get nothing, and you will pay anything

tYc8Gj7.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Still kinda feels like $70 games are a big experiment at the moment. The install bases of the PS5 are still low enough that it still remains to be seen if later adopters will willingly embrace $70 games either across the board or maybe for just specific titles.

Also are sales going to be deeper and more frequent?

It's just kinda weird to think about because out of the 11 PS5 titles I bought at the end of last year, I think I only paid $70 for Spiderman Ultimate Edition? Seemed like a fair price for basically buying two games.

Hatsuma

Still kinda feels like $70 games are a big experiment at the moment. The install bases of the PS5 are still low enough that it still remains to be seen if later adopters will willingly embrace $70 games either across the board or maybe for just specific titles.

Also are sales going to be deeper and more frequent?

It's just kinda weird to think about because out of the 11 PS5 titles I bought at the end of last year, I think I only paid $70 for Spiderman Ultimate Edition? Seemed like a fair price for basically buying two games.
Yea price range is variable. I got the ultimate edition as well and bought DSR. Sackboy was $60 and Pathless is $40. I'm getting the new Ratchet game, which they've been pushing it as a full release in content like Future series, which were $60 on release. I'll pick up Returnal at full retail if it turns out really good

TheBoss1

You should consider will save you money in the long run.I wouldn't mind buying one if there were games I actually want to play on Xbox. Only Forza has piqued my interest but I still have Gran Turismo on PS5. I'm not a fan of Halo or gears
I'm not a fan of Xbox exclusives, at least the ones they have right now. Only Forza has gotten my interest but I still have GT7 coming that can quench my racing simulator appetite. I understand gamepass has third party games but I don't play that many games in general to justify paying for it. I buy about 1 game per year lol

I actually enjoyed my X360 when I had one though.

longdi

Banned
70 dollars games is just archaic short term fleecing. what you want is cheaper and more audiences imo.

sure ps4 sold 100m over 6-7 years. but check how much iPhones are sold every Year?

MonarchJT

Banned
Spain, Italy, England even Germany and any other European country have lost (due to the covid) thousands of jobs and so many billions of income . Sony's price increase is a punch to the stomach of the consumer in an already expensive hobby of its own. 80 euro for a game it's a joke. period. Being able to see some data, I already know that there is a sharp decline in total software sales, at least here in Italy. i hope sony will pay with theirs own earning for this nonsense

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you ask me, making games 70 dollars and 80 euro was a mistake...pricing some people out of day 1 sales and working against the marketing push that goes hand in hand with launch.
When people don't get a game on day 1, they are more and more likely to wait for significant sales, resulting in large amounts of lost profit.

I think Sony should try and do discounts in reverse (not that it hasn't been done before) and offer games at 60 dollars and 65-70 euro for the launch week and then revert to the higher price after that week.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas to get more people in on day 1? (PlayStation Gamepass is not an acceptable answer)
Isn't the Euro valued higher than the dollar? Soooo US pays less and EU pays even more?

EDIT: Wait...games are 80 EURO!? Holy don't read the title, Batman.

Last edited:
Hmm paying $70 for a first party game which is really a dlc add on.....or gamepass

I know which one I’d prefer....unless you one of those weird people that likes paying that price for every game

Top Bottom