• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now a Sony published game is coming to Game Pass is time to give up on PS5 entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Let me preface this by saying that I am not console warring in any way.

But I think it's time to seriously reconsider if PS5 is a worthy contender for this generation anymore, and to be quite honest whether or not it's even worth owning the system at all.

At first I used to think, well OK, Game Pass might be great for third party games and PS5 is great for the exclusives, but with now a Sony published game coming to Game Pass day one, while PS5s users gets fucked over with being charged full whack... Just feels really bad.

But there are other issues too, Sony shutting down the legacy store fronts and destroying game preservation in the process is a really shitty thing to do, especially when games such as the OG Silent Hill 1 will be essentially lost forever unless you pirate a copy or still have a PS1 with a copy of it to play on.

Xbox on the other hand has been doing great work with backwards compat and game heritage and I feel they are actually respecting the industry, the art of gaming and gamers a lot more than Sony are at the moment.

I don't know what the hell is going on over at Sony but its kinda sad to see them running themselves into the ground and losing all the good will they built up last gen.

For me, I'm not sure if having a PS5 for a few exclusives that might even end up on Game Pass for free is enough reason to stick to Sony anymore, that and quite frankly I'm really pissed at their treatment of legacy games and gaming history too.

It's baffling to me that there are still people who don't understand that MLB is on multiple platforms (including game pass) only because the league told Sony that either they make the franchise for a wider audience, or the license would be given to someone else.

Why are people always on about this playstation vs xbox thing, nobody cares man just buy whatever box you want. Nobodies giving up on amything for whatever reasons.

Mr Moose

It's baffling to me that there are still people who don't understand that MLB is on multiple platforms (including game pass) only because the league told Sony that either they make the franchise for a wider audience, or the license would be given to someone else.
They should've just made NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball): The Show Must Go On and told MLB to suck a dick.

I'm nobody

Why are people always on about this playstation vs xbox thing, nobody cares man just buy whatever box you want. Nobodies giving up on amything for whatever reasons.
School kids playground games that all
People like this can't grow up. Still argue who's dad's bigger . And in some prob compared who's boxers are bigger. In summery childish people

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
But I think it's time to seriously reconsider if PS5 is a worthy contender for this generation anymore, and to be quite honest whether or not it's even worth owning the system at all.

But there are other issues too, Sony shutting down the legacy store fronts and destroying game preservation in the process is a really shitty thing to do, especially when games such as the OG Silent Hill 1 will be essentially lost forever unless you pirate a copy or still have a PS1 with a copy of it to play on.

I don't know what the hell is going on over at Sony but its kinda sad to see them running themselves into the ground and losing all the good will they built up last gen.

Did the ps5 stop playing video games? Why would a Nintendo switch or Xbox Series be contenders when they can't play the breadth of games a PC can? By your own logic since game pass is on PC along with emulation doesn't that eliminate any value an Xbox could ever have?

What is the role of the developer and publisher in preserving game history. You blame Sony for not taking better care of silent hill for the original PlayStation. Would you also blame Walmart and Best Buy since they sold copies of silent hill and PlayStation, yet have done nothing to preserve history?

You claim Sony has lost good will from the ps4, but the ps4 was the least backward compatible system they ever released. Ps2 played ps1, launch ps3 played ps1 and ps2, ps5 plays ps4.

Let me end this by saying that I am not console warring in any way, I just think OP doesn't have a leg to stand on with this blatant "concern trolling".

Not even a year in mate. Sony has some very talented studios. Look at last generation, they were getting some shit for showing a lot of indies early on but that died on its arse not long after. The PS5 will be fine. I’m not the biggest fan of PlayStation admittedly, a fan, not a big fan and to their credit that Play at Home offering they are doing deserves some credit.I could be mistaken I don’t see the other two doing these things.

I understand the opinion that a game going to service compared to paying $70 will irk people, however I get the impression with some it’s more than being a fan , more like a obnoxious zealot and must get one over the other brands or whatever at any cost. It’s repulsive tbh and while the OP may not be of that sort, I’ve seen and heard it over the years.

Vote with your wallet. It wouldn’t surprise me if they restructure Plus/Now in a year or two, maybe not.

Last edited:

Calverz

The Rock Tennis GIF

Bodom78

My friends uncle who works as Sony as said they are getting out of the console business and will be publishing all their games on Gamepass.

Schmick

Yeah it sucks, but until all their AAA exclusives comes to PC (no they won’t come to Xbox) you’re kinda forced to buy their boxes unless you’re willing to skip their games.
I don’t have a PS5 yet, I don’t think there is anything out yet that I can’t be without, but I absolutely expect to want one within a year or two.

So if you can, just chill and see what happens. It’s no biggie.

Right now you don’t really need any of the new consoles tbh. It’s the crappiest start of a new gen I’ve ever experienced.

I ordered a Oculus Quest 2 this weekend, waiting for that to arrive and I’m more excited about that than anything else I know will arrive this year on the consoles.
I can feel your excitement! Damn I want one of those things.

OrtizTwelve

PS5 and XBOX Series are too new to count either out right now. They only launched a few months ago. New games are scarce, console availability is scarce, and we’re not going to see the full potential of either of these consoles until a year or two from now, if that. COVID likely delayed production on most projects and has slowed down the trajectory of the console cycle.

However, it is obvious that XBOX is starting off the generation going balls to the wall hard and doing a lot of interesting and surprising things all revolving around Game Pass. I’ll say this again — Game Pass is in the process of becoming HUGE — changing the way we play games and pay attention to new releases, and how we buy or access our games — and eventually PlayStation cannot ignore it.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Did the ps5 stop playing video games? Why would a Nintendo switch or Xbox Series be contenders when they can't play the breadth of games a PC can? By your own logic since game pass is on PC along with emulation doesn't that eliminate any value an Xbox could ever have?

What is the role of the developer and publisher in preserving game history. You blame Sony for not taking better care of silent hill for the original PlayStation. Would you also blame Walmart and Best Buy since they sold copies of silent hill and PlayStation, yet have done nothing to preserve history?

You claim Sony has lost good will from the ps4, but the ps4 was the least backward compatible system they ever released. Ps2 played ps1, launch ps3 played ps1 and ps2, ps5 plays ps4.

Let me end this by saying that I am not console warring in any way, I just think OP doesn't have a leg to stand on with this blatant "concern trolling".

You raise good points but I think a few of them are flawed.

Your first point, not all GP games are also on PC and also not everyone has the time nor money to pour in crazy money for a decent PC rig to play these games when it's easier and cheaper to buy the one console.

Second point, Walmart etc are retailers. Sony is a power house developer and publisher that makes decisions on the future and accessibility of legacy software on their platforms, hence their responsibility. You literally can't even compare.

Third, sure that is true and it was BS but there's offering limited backwards compat on PS4 and then there's shutting down Legacy store fronts with hundreds if not thousands of game no longer accessible. Again totally different situation here.

4. You can call it what you want. I don't give a flying fuck.

AND Sony's own in house studio developed it! San Diego Studio.
MLB is publishing it on xbox not Sony, MLB also said if Sony didn't make it multiplatform they'd lose the license so they had no choice. This way they still get to keep it as the only baseball game and they'll make more money than before because MLB will have to pay them something for developing it for xbox consoles. BTW even if Sony was publishing it on xbox (which again they are NOT) this thread was needless and lame and it is totally warrior BS. Why would you give up on the only next gen console that has had 1st party games released for it and more to come before the fall? MS hasn't released a damned thing for their new consoles yet it's all 3rd party stuff and dressed up Xbox One games. You can't mask this as a legit question what you are trying to do is totally transparent and sad.

oagboghi2

It matters to consumers and also is really bad optics of what's to come.

Imagine paying $70 for a Sony first part game only to realize is not an exclusive anymore, it's coming out on Xbox and it's coming out on gamepass day one. So that's almost like a free game if you take into account all the other games gamepass has.
Has it ever occurred to you that people can see this, know this and just not give a shit.

Gamepass is not a new unknown. People have known about it for months, and the PS5 still outsells the Xbox. This isn't as big a deal to consumers as you want to make it out to be, hence the sales.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think Sony should at least offer it on PS Now to soften the PR blow.

What "PR blow. . .?" Again, assigning bad intentions on Sony because MS cut its own deal with MLB is ridiculous. There are numerous games released on Xbox GP that are full price on Sony (OUTRIDERS for example) - should Sony offer rebates for those as well?

Stuart360

I think even xBox fans think this is stupid.
Kudos to the OP for making such a tit of themself that they unite the board.
I'm sure most Xbox fans think this is over the top.
But thats the way it is from my experience with some Sony fans. From the insessent trolling of Xbox for the last 8 years, even though PS4 won the gen at a canter, to the fragility of them whenever Xbox gets any positivity, or Playstation any negativity.
Maybe Xbox fans are just more used to negativity by now, so deal with it better. :messenger_smirking:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You raise good points but I think a few of them are flawed.

Your first point, not all GP games are also on PC and also not everyone has the time nor money to pour in crazy money for a decent PC rig to play these games when it's easier and cheaper to buy the one console.

Second point, Walmart etc are retailers. Sony is a power house developer and publisher that makes decisions on the future and accessibility of legacy software on their platforms, hence their responsibility. You literally can't even compare.

Third, sure that is true and it was BS but there's offering limited backwards compat on PS4 and then there's shutting down Legacy store fronts with hundreds if not thousands of game no longer accessible. Again totally different situation here.

4. You can call it what you want. I don't give a flying fuck.

If you can't understand this isn't a sign that other Sony games are going to game pass or any other console, we can't help you.

This isn't a precedent of anything. The MLB license does not belong to Sony. It's a license, and the license owner told them to put the game on other console or someone else will get it. Simple as that.

Zoro7

Banned
I'm sure most Xbox fans think this is over the top.
But thats the way it is from my experience with some Sony fans. From the insessent trolling of Xbox for the last 8 years, even though PS4 won the gen at a canter, to the fragility of them whenever Xbox gets any positivity, or Playstation any negativity.
Maybe Xbox fans are just more used to negativity by now, so deal with it better. :messenger_smirking:
We have had nothing but pro Xbox threads since the specs got announced. And it’s always the same people pushing these threads.

AphexTwunt

Jesus, how fragile are some of you fuckwits. Get a grip and move on, enjoy your platform of choice and try your best not to get rustled by things that don't really impact your own enjoyment of the hobby.

ClosBSAS

So much salt from sony. Its about time playstation gets competition from xbox. Xbox one are thw dark days of xbox as a whole

I'm nobody

So much salt from sony. Its about time playstation gets competition from xbox. Xbox one are thw dark days of xbox as a whole
There no competition for a any game that lands on gamepass at a doller a pop
People just want shit for free that dose not help it's a flat revenue

ShaikhCroft

From Wikipedia:
San Diego Studio is an American video game developer based in Sorrento Valley, San Diego. A first-party studio for Sony Interactive Entertainment, it is responsible for MLB The Show games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom