• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now a Sony published game is coming to Game Pass is time to give up on PS5 entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this by saying that I am not console warring in any way.

But I think it's time to seriously reconsider if PS5 is a worthy contender for this generation anymore, and to be quite honest whether or not it's even worth owning the system at all.

At first I used to think, well OK, Game Pass might be great for third party games and PS5 is great for the exclusives, but with now a Sony published game coming to Game Pass day one, while PS5s users gets fucked over with being charged full whack... Just feels really bad.

But there are other issues too, Sony shutting down the legacy store fronts and destroying game preservation in the process is a really shitty thing to do, especially when games such as the OG Silent Hill 1 will be essentially lost forever unless you pirate a copy or still have a PS1 with a copy of it to play on.

Xbox on the other hand has been doing great work with backwards compat and game heritage and I feel they are actually respecting the industry, the art of gaming and gamers a lot more than Sony are at the moment.

I don't know what the hell is going on over at Sony but its kinda sad to see them running themselves into the ground and losing all the good will they built up last gen.

For me, I'm not sure if having a PS5 for a few exclusives that might even end up on Game Pass for free is enough reason to stick to Sony anymore, that and quite frankly I'm really pissed at their treatment of legacy games and gaming history too.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The Sky Is Falling Reaction GIF

Not on Xbox. Sony didn’t have any way to stop this as far as I understood it.

'
  • In order for Sony to retain the rights to The Show, part of their new MLB deal was that the game had to be multiplatform, hence the release on Xbox.
  • But it seems Microsoft went directly to the MLB to try and work out a deal to get it on Game Pass too. The publisher of the Xbox version is listed as the MLB, not Sony. And so some (very large) amount of money was likely paid to make that happen.
  • Now we have a situation where The Show has gone from being a Sony exclusive franchise for 15 years to being on Xbox Game Pass day one, with the game still built by San Diego Studios, a first party Sony developer.
  • The PlayStation version of the show is listed for $70, while it appears the only way to get both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game together is an $85 bundle.'

In the end. Why does it matter? Just enjoy the games on your chosen plastic box and don’t waste energy thinking about how others are playing the games.

This isn't just about that one game. I made it very clear its ALSO about Sony's quite frankly disgusting treatment of Legacy gaming.

If you care about Gaming seriously then you should be absolutely caring about that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
'
  • In order for Sony to retain the rights to The Show, part of their new MLB deal was that the game had to be multiplatform, hence the release on Xbox.
  • But it seems Microsoft went directly to the MLB to try and work out a deal to get it on Game Pass too. The publisher of the Xbox version is listed as the MLB, not Sony. And so some (very large) amount of money was likely paid to make that happen.
  • Now we have a situation where The Show has gone from being a Sony exclusive franchise for 15 years to being on Xbox Game Pass day one, with the game still built by San Diego Studios, a first party Sony developer.
  • The PlayStation version of the show is listed for $70, while it appears the only way to get both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game together is an $85 bundle.'

So......everything you just listed confirmed what was already said. The Xbox version wasn't published by Sony, but San Diego Studio continues to be the developer for both versions.

And?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
OP claims not to be console warring.

OP doesn't understand the value proposition of PS5 if a game on it also comes out on another platform for an indefinite and limited period with a premium subscription.

OP tries to tie that concern to preserving retro gaming.

OP doesn't give any specifics about wtf they are referring to.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Greggy

Just get a Series S along side your PS5 and stop the whining Sony fans. Or if you're cheap, just get the Game Pass app on your Phones or tablets.
Microsoft is not rolling over easily this generation and that's great for gaming. Now sony has to revamp whatever they call an online service and if you own both platforms, you're in for a treat.
Great time to be a gamer.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This isn't just about that one game. I made it very clear its ALSO about Sony's quite frankly disgusting treatment of Legacy gaming.

If you care about Gaming seriously then you should be absolutely caring about that.

So what. . .the game should be released for free? MS made a move without Sony's involvement - that isn't going to change the plans Sony already had in place.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not console warring in any way.

But I think it's time to seriously reconsider if PS5 is a worthy contender for this generation anymore, and to be quite honest whether or not it's even worth owning the system at all.

At first I used to think, well OK, Game Pass might be great for third party games and PS5 is great for the exclusives, but with now a Sony published game coming to Game Pass day one, while PS5s users gets fucked over with being charged full whack... Just feels really bad.

But there are other issues too, Sony shutting down the legacy store fronts and destroying game preservation in the process is a really shitty thing to do, especially when games such as the OG Silent Hill 1 will be essentially lost forever unless you pirate a copy or still have a PS1 with a copy of it to play on.

Xbox on the other hand has been doing great work with backwards compat and game heritage and I feel they are actually respecting the industry, the art of gaming and gamers a lot more than Sony are at the moment.

I don't know what the hell is going on over at Sony but its kinda sad to see them running themselves into the ground and losing all the good will they built up last gen.

For me, I'm not sure if having a PS5 for a few exclusives that might even end up on Game Pass for free is enough reason to stick to Sony anymore, that and quite frankly I'm really pissed at their treatment of legacy games and gaming history too.
Why are people making such a big deal about this? This never was a Sony property, is an MLB game for gods sake. I would understand this kind of reaction if we were talking about Ratchet and Clank, but MLB? Seriously? That's like saying EA owns Star Wars.

The only issue that I see is who developed the game? Was it Sony or was it another team? I hardly believe it was Sony, that wouldn't make sense unless MLB payed them and threatened them to do the game or else.

Mr Moose

So... Not a Sony published game then? Title needs changing.
Microsoft better stop releasing games on PlayStation, the outrage! Who do they think they are?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The only issue that I see is who developed the game? Was it Sony or was it another team? I hardly believe it was Sony, that wouldn't make sense unless MLB payed them and threatened them to do the game or else.
The game was developed by Sony San Diego.

Well fuck me in the ass for having an opinion then!

I'm pissed at Sony's recent behaviour with legacy gaming, it feels bad to have a Sony developed game on Game Pass while we have to pay for it. Who gives a fuck that it's not published by Sony for Xbox. That's literally not the point so stop trying to turn it into that as the issue here.

I don't need to say what title the game is when its OBVIOUS what game I'm referring to.

Stop trying to make me look stupid and respond to to the points I made or GTFO out of my thread kingpotato kingpotato

Last edited:
It's a Sony developed game. I don't believe they are publishing it on Xbox. Its unlikely to happen with any other game because MLB forced their hand or face losing the rights to develop the game

Also MS publishes games on other platforms all the time. See Ori and cuphead. It would be silly to change platform for these reasons.

Can say that gamepass is great though and that's the service that made me go from PS4 to XSX.

In the end. Why does it matter? Just enjoy the games on your chosen plastic box and don’t waste energy thinking about how others are playing the games.
It matters to consumers and also is really bad optics of what's to come.

Imagine paying $70 for a Sony first part game only to realize is not an exclusive anymore, it's coming out on Xbox and it's coming out on gamepass day one. So that's almost like a free game if you take into account all the other games gamepass has.

Mr Moose

I'm pissed at Sony's recent behaviour with legacy gaming, it feels bad to have a Sony developed game on Game Pass while we have to pay for it. Who gives a fuck that it's not published by Sony for Xbox. That's literally not the point so stop trying to turn it into that as the issue here.

I don't need to say what title the game is when its OBVIOUS what game I'm referring to.

Stop trying to make me look stupid and respond to to the points I made or GTFO out of my thread kingpotato kingpotato
That's literally the point in the first post and title...

Zoro7

Banned

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but when its this shit keep it to yourself.

Fredrik

Yeah it sucks, but until all their AAA exclusives comes to PC (no they won’t come to Xbox) you’re kinda forced to buy their boxes unless you’re willing to skip their games.
I don’t have a PS5 yet, I don’t think there is anything out yet that I can’t be without, but I absolutely expect to want one within a year or two.

So if you can, just chill and see what happens. It’s no biggie.

Right now you don’t really need any of the new consoles tbh. It’s the crappiest start of a new gen I’ve ever experienced.

I ordered a Oculus Quest 2 this weekend, waiting for that to arrive and I’m more excited about that than anything else I know will arrive this year on the consoles.

Agreed. Title was made in error. Mods could you please edit the title for clarification RE who published it.

The title should be now that a Sony developed game is coming to GP rather than published.

Mod of War Mod of War

Thank you

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
No, why would you give up on your preferred platform? I'm primarily gaming on Xbox but I've played almost every PlayStation exclusive and many third party games on ps4.

Maybe Xbox Series is better as a first console and that's what I'm planning on doing, but I'm also buying PS5 down the line, in three to four years probably.

If you can own only one console in a generation, then maybe, but otherwise no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom