• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notebookcheck.net: No, the PS5 won’t offer anywhere near the graphics performance of Xbox Series X: Navi benchmarks prove it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dory16

Banned
The general public deserves to know the true value of the products that the market proposes and power is PART of that value in the case of game consoles. Corporations cannot be trusted to be fully transparent about the objective value of what they’re selling . They have profits to make. It’s our duty to educate ourselves about what they’re really offering and also to use our good judgement to assess the reliability of the information.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
But we all agree that PC is still King of the Jungle in terms of power
Ah, the sweet life....

Get a life, OP.

I'm not going to even comment until Digital Foundry gets their hands on the consoles this upcoming holiday season and test the shit out of them and see how big of a difference there really is.
Using RDNA 1 to hypothesize when the RDNA 2 isn't even out in the market is disingenuous to say the least.

Again, both companies can claim whatever they want, but at the end of the day, Digital Foundry and the rest will prove the difference, whether it's 15% or 30%.

@FranXico, OP started the thread with this quip indicating the intent behind such a blatant clickbait thread.
hideo-kojima.jpg

Are you serious right now ?
You are taking fanboyism way too far, don't shoot the messenger.
We have tweet threads (no one gives a shit), you even posted a controller thread.
Lol cearly lots of people do since you know everything revolves around social media engagement. It's an important metric to gauge interest.
That's unless you have just emerged from an underground cave then I probably will understand you have no idea of the world we live in.

Romulus

Really? 17% difference makes a generational leap in graphics?

Even 40% was barely anything PS4 vs Xbox One. At best case scenario for XSX we're looking at less of an advantage than that, then you throw in dynamic resolution. lol. It'll be another generation of slight differences, if at all.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I bashed the Crytek Guy source, so in fairness, I gotta ask, who the hell are Notebookcheck.net?

Are these reputable sources?

This seems like clickbait
Notebookcheck is an incredible site with in-depth reviews on laptop and mobile hardware, along for charts for performance hierarchy. I don't know who wrote this article as I haven't even read it yet, but their site is highly reputable.

ethomaz

Banned
People can compare RDNA, RDNA 2, GCN, etc. The point of it, is to show that each of these architectures exhibit less gains, when overclocking to the high end with less CU's, versus running the chip a little slower, while having more CU's. Unless physics have been altered or there is some secret sauce involved, this trend will continue in gpu technology.
Nothing changed just the interpretation of the results.

RDNA has a "sweet" clock spot where the increase in clock start to have disproportionately increase in performance... that is around 1900Mhz or so... when you go over that says 10% your increase in performance is just 3-5%.

But when you do that in lower clocks like 1500Mhz with 10% increase in clock will turn out in 9-10% increase in performance because it didn't reach the "sweet" spot for performance start to not scale at the same rate than clock.

RDNA 2 increase that "sweet" spot to another level... PS5 running at 2.2Ghz tells us that RDNA now can reach these clocks with 40CUs at good performance scale different from RDNA that couldn't.

RDNA 2 reviews in June/July will tells us where the clock of RDNA 2 start to show diminishing returns... so we will have a ideia how the PS5 performance will be.

BTW RDNA 2 has a increase in 50% perf. per watt... we don't know the conditions but the comparison was probably at default clocks of atual RDNA so around 1700-1900Mhz which RDNA 2 probably power draw really that low compared with RDNA... so it is not a evidence of RDNA 2 running at 2.2Ghz but even if it is only 30% increase at that clock it is yet shows RDNA 2 can reach 2.2Ghz with the same power draw of RDNA at 1.8Ghz for example.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle and the PS5 will only be about 20% less powerful than the XSX.

Up until it burns up and becomes an expensive paper weight anyway.

Dory16

Banned
It can be shocking to some but PS5 is not based in the same hardware as 5700 XT.
The examples of overclocking in the 5700 XT tells us nothing about the PS5 because 2.2Ghz can be the normalized clocks of RDNA 2 with 40 CUs.
I don’t expect the laws of physics to suddenly work in reverse on RDNA2. The extent will most likely be different but the trend will be the same. I find opinions based on actual experimental benchmarking to be a lot more valuable than those supported by PR talking points or just professional credentials.

Next time I’ll post about Cerny’s beautiful dressing style to improve my post history in your eyes.
Please make sure you then get an appropriate source so people can take your thread seriously.

I mean The Modest Man or Ashley Westons fashion blog might be ideal.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t expect the laws of physics to suddenly work in reverse on RDNA2. The extent will most likely be different but the trend will be the same. I find opinions based on actual experimental benchmarking to be a lot more valuable than those supported by PR talking points or just professional credentials.
Or do you believe in AMD or not.
RDNA 2 can reach better clocks than RDNA without diminishing returns in performance.

In simple terms RDNA 2 scale to higher clocks than RDNA.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Even 40% was barely anything PS4 vs Xbox One. At best case scenario for XSX we're looking at less of an advantage than that, then you throw in dynamic resolution. lol. It'll be another generation of slight differences, if at all.

Lol the 2080 TI is almost 25/30% more powerful over my 2080 super, and that's not even a generational leap :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It's not lik RDNA2 is a new architecture, it's an update. Of course it will be comparable, most of the 50 % efficiency gains of RDNA2 come from a smaller node and stuff like VRS.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks how GCN clocks showed little gain performance after xxxxMhz while RDNA continue scaling good in performance way over that same xxxxMhz.

This is all the be expected for whoever has any notion on how hardware works, anything else is Fanboys delusional reasoning's!
I don't disagree with the "article" at all, but they're talking about "on paper" this should be the case. On paper car A should go around a track faster than car B. Team A should smash Team B. What I do disagree on is that you assume people actually "Know" how hardware works. Sorry, but being an armchair engineer, even if you've read up on this, is not the same as being an actual hardware engineer. It's like training kickboxing but never fighting, training and fighting are two very very different things.

But, also, we already know that "on paper" the Series X is more powerful. This will not convert anyone over to your platform, but thats likely not even the reason for this thread. I'm pretty sure, call me crazy, this is an article meant to how, I believe... "rub it in your face" LOL if that's the case carry on, you certainly have the necessary ammo at this point and time.

Ar¢tos

There's a difference. Ps4 had a 40% advantage, but it was 40% compressed low quality pixels, XSX has 20% advantage, but it's 20% uncompressed highest quality pixels. It's miles ahead!!

Jaxcellent

You can compare these specs as much as you want, I just watched the inside xbox show, just when I thought Microsoft was doing the right thing.. they make a shit show like this,

They could learn more from Sony if you ask me, if you have nothing to show or share, just don't show up at all... Meanwhile PS4 owners around the world are counting down the hours for the behemoth that is FF7 Remake, another (probably timed) exclusive....

I'm asking you how can Xbox even start competing against this? Another gears game? What about a free gamepass game? More Halo? no wait.. more indie games.? I hope they will show off some NEW cool games around E3 time...

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Downclocked since old, and discussed in the speculation OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom