• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Not comfortable, but confident" - CDPR CEO on December 10th date for CP2077

cucuchu

Is there something legally preventing them from just releasing it on PC/PS5/XBSX now (since its supposively good to go) and at a later date for the other consoles?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Kadayi

Banned
If you want to look at context you could pull up the other teleconference calls, both said at the time they were confident to release, and we know what happened then.

The cert process generally has two sets of criteria - deal breakers that fail outright (e.g. crashing, using incorrect platform trademarks like button names/icons, etc.), and things that don’t cause outright failure but are worth a point value. If a game accumulates too many points, it also results in cert failure. However, if the game has few enough points, it can pass cert with no required changes.

There’s also window between a full pass and cert failure called “conditional pass” which is not quite bad enough to fail, but still bad enough to require fixes. Conditional passes come with a list of must-fix issues in a day 1 patch. No day 1 patch means no approval. What almost certainly happened was that Cyberpunk 2077 got a conditional cert pass due to enough issues that weren’t bad enough to fail cert outright but also weren’t benign enough to get a full pass. This was their “going gold” status - they got the conditional pass from cert.

Longtime readers should know that patches also require certification and can also fail… which is almost certainly what happened in this case. CDPR most likely failed cert for their day 1 patch and thus must continue to crunch to try to fix it. They probably did not expect to fail cert (again), but they also cannot release the game without passing cert, so they had to delay the game (again) despite “going gold”.

They wouldn't have announced the game had gone Gold if it hadn't been submitted for Certification already and been given the green light by both of the console manufacturers. However, as this Dude says, the Cert approval was probably given on the basis of a Day 1 Patch to fix any issues (likely not that uncommon a practice given a lot of other games have Day 1 patches these days). However, the probable conclusion is that the Day 1 patch didn't hit all of the criteria it needed to pass Cert on at least one of the current-gen consoles, which is the cause of the delay. It's already been outlined that its an issue with Current gen only, and given at least provisionally the game was given enough of a green light that CDP announced the game had gone Gold this idea that the game is somehow a complete shitshow flies in the face of logic.

DonJorginho

Banned
So basically you made a thread based on what Kiciński said, but now that you've been called out for quoting out of context, what Kiciński says doesn't matter anymore?

That's cute 😂😂😂😂
I made a thread from an article I read, I have no opinion on it, just relaying info.

Call out whoever wrote the article I copied not me bud.

If I were to give my take on it? We know they aren't good with promising dates and they have shoddy management, but as long as the delays guarantee a good game I am happy.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I made a thread from an article I read, I have no opinion on it, just relaying info.

*tweet.

Before "relaying info" you may want to ensure that it's accurate and stop defending it once it's proven that it's completely meaningless since the context is opposite.

DonJorginho

Banned

They wouldn't have announced the game had gone Gold if it hadn't been submitted for Certification already and been given the green light by both of the console manufacturers. However, as this Dude says, the Cert approval was probably given on the basis of a Day 1 Patch to fix any issues (likely not that uncommon a practice given a lot of other games have Day 1 patches these days). However, the probable conclusion is that the Day 1 patch didn't hit all of the criteria it needed to pass Cert on at least one of the current-gen consoles, which is the cause of the delay. It's already been outlined that its an issue with Current gen only, and given at least provisionally the game was given enough of a green light that CDP announced the game had gone Gold this idea that the game is somehow a complete shitshow flies in the face of logic.
That is a very interesting read. Thank you for linking that mate!

DonJorginho

Banned
*tweet.

Before "relaying info" you may want to ensure that it's accurate and stop defending it once it's proven that it's completely meaningless since the context is opposite.
? It is an article from PushSquare.

Go on their site and read it yourself.

Again I think there is a confusion around what post we are discussing, the tweet was the Reddit Developer Comment, this thread is regarding the ARTICLE I copied from PushSquare, hope that clears things up.

And it isn't completely meaningless, it would be nice to hear more reassuring words, but we just have to sit and have hope that they deliver on time.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
? It is an article from PushSquare.

Go on their site and read it yourself.

Again I think there is a confusion around what post we are discussing, the tweet was the Reddit Developer Comment, this thread is regarding the ARTICLE I copied from PushSquare, hope that clears things up.

And it isn't completely meaningless, it would be nice to hear more reassuring words, but we just have to sit and have hope that they deliver on time.

There are plenty reassuring words in the full transcript of the conference which I linked above for your convenience.

Also, again, this should likely give you a good example of the fact that you should likely not read Pushsquare lol. The out of context cherry-picking for hits is pathetic.

DonJorginho

Banned
There are plenty reassuring words in the full transcript of the conference which I linked above for your convenience.

Also, again, this should likely give you a good example of the fact that you should likely not read Pushsquare lol. The out of context cherry-picking for hits is pathetic.
I read that and agree with you, thank you for linking that to me mate it is much appreciated.

And maybe I will steer clear from them from now on.

GHG

Is there something legally preventing them from just releasing it on PC/PS5/XBSX now (since its supposively good to go) and at a later date for the other consoles?

Well the PS5 and Series X versions are just slightly enhanced current gen versions of the game.

So what you'd be asking them to do is just release the PC version for now.

Jaxcellent

I wish them all the best! Expectations are kinda getting out of hand but they did hype this so big themselves, so soon its time to deliver, exciting times! and confident the studio will pull of an amazing game, not sure anymore if the game will launch this year...

DonJorginho

Banned
Some old fuck did that ages ago.

627.gif

Tiamat2san

If I I can play with next-gen patch day one , delay it again.
Something like February or even March.
I prefer a finished product.

EDMIX

Honestly I'm beginning to think they have bitten off more than they can chew with this game.

All these delays are just making thing worse for them as well. With each delay comes added scrutiny and even more bullshit tears about "crunch". The SJW reviewers will be out for blood more than ever.

It would be in their best interests to actually not set a date and then surprise everyone. They don't even need a marketing cycle for this game anymore, everyone in gaming circles (and even some non gaming circles) is aware of it by now and it will sell like hotcakes.

Agreed.

Whats funny, is if they didn't make all those dumbass statements, I don't even think this would have been THAT bad.

Be like "No mandatory crunch"
Also them "ok maybe a lil bit"

Be like "no more delays"
Also them "ok maybe like 3 or 4"

Them being unsure about this is really, really hurting them. They need to fire that management or PR person that keeps making some of these dumbass statements and choices to give a release date when they are unsure.

This game has had literally 4 release dates in 2020 yet folks are really wondering why many of us feel its coming in 2021 or should come in 2021?

gojira96 gojira96 Agreed. They need to stop making new dates, they were wrong several times now. I'd have no issue with them just delaying it until they are actually sure. Who ever keeps assuming the game is fine and giving a date needs to fucking be fired.

Last edited:
Quoted completely out of context. I suggest reading the whole thing (which the OP conveniently hasn't linked), because it certainly gives a different impression.

Thx for the transcript !

GLOwMXR.jpg

Not gonna lie, that eases the pain and I'm confident more than ever it will drop Dec. 10th, just too much at stake if they miss this deadline, business wise, fan base, canceled pre-orders etc..

Current gen was a mistake, or the very least push it to early nxt yr. Don't punish early next gen adopters, and not to mention PC and next gen is Reggie!!!!

Tschumi

One day, this game will appear in gog galaxy as downloadable. It's not like i haven't got anything else you play to kill the time.

ultrazilla

Well well well, could we see another delay to Cyberpunk 2077?

Speaking during CD Projekt Red's latest call with shareholders, Adam Kiciński said: "We feel — maybe not comfortable, but confident [in the new release date]." This isn't the kind of comment that you want to hear if you're betting on Cyberpunk hitting its new date.

Even Michal Nowakowski, vice president of business development, doesn't seem totally sold on the idea. When asked if the game would definitely launch on the 10th December, he replied: "That's more or less what I'm saying, I guess — yes."

The delay is something that CD Projekt Red clearly wasn't planning on until very recently. The game's marketing machine was already in full swing, with all kinds of adverts highlighting the previous 19th November release date. Hell, some ads even had Keanu Reeves star in them.

DAMN THOSE JAGUAR CORES

2018-cyberpunk-2077-4k-n6.jpg

Yes. This time it'll be delayed until Spring of 2021 which they should have done the very first time.

Wish they would have just delayed it to April or something so we wouldn’t have to see that goddamn yellow message again in a couple weeks.

halo infinite incoming?

Whenever companies invest $500 million or so, they just get a cold feet discussing shortcoming of their games.

As if nobody is gonna find out.

ethomaz

Banned
Thx for the transcript !

GLOwMXR.jpg

Not gonna lie, that eases the pain and I'm confident more than ever it will drop Dec. 10th, just too much at stake if they miss this deadline, business wise, fan base, canceled pre-orders etc..

Current gen was a mistake, or the very least push it to early nxt yr. Don't punish early next gen adopters, and not to mention PC and next gen is Reggie!!!!
Why did you remove the exactly part the OP quoted?

having a few things done which wouldn’t have been done in time for the 19th will work in our favor. We feel – maybe not comfortable [chuckle], but confident and will are releasing on the 10th.”

And the other question...

Q10: Okay, so – basically – we can be comfortable now that the game is definitely coming out on December 10, is that what you’re saying?

MN: That’s more or less what I’m saying, I guess – yes.”

They are clearly not sure... I guess - yes.

Last edited:

salva

Delay it, but don't give a date. Just change the release to "coming soon". When they're comfortable, release a new trailer that ends with "Out now".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Glad I cancel my pre-order.

Stick with one date and I'll be there day one. Until there, just words and gaffers excuse.
Unless a pre-order has some real snazzy discount or bonus content you really need, never bother with a pre-order. Digital copies never run out and physical copies never do either. I've never pre-ordered a digital game and the only time I did them was when disc pre-orders were selling for $50 during the E3 promotions when the regular price was $70. Back then some stores even did Buy 2 Get 1 Free. Worth doing during the disc era for games reliably coming out later that fall like COD and EA Sports.

And definitely don't do it with games with sketchy or unknown release dates.

One of the dumbest pre-orders I saw was when MS showed Below on Xbox. E3 2013. System wasn't even out yet. At that time you could have pre-ordered Below from Future Shop and Best Buy Canada for $60.

Game ended up coming out in December 2018 at an indie price of around $20.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Jesus......

Also anybody who blames current gen for this are getting angry at the wrong thing, the game started development years ago so they should have calibrated everything to run on the well known specs of the Xbox One/PS4 they clearly didnt

Seems like the project leads(the ones making all the big money) just adopted a moving target approach

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I read...

The quotes are exactly the same... the article didn’t changed them.

They just presented them completely out of context with a completely different intent compared to what Kichinski actually had. But for some reason, I'm not surprised you'd defend it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom