• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PC no buy

Hero_Select

It's been the opposite fore me.

I have a beefy PC with a 3080 and the comfort-no frills experience of consoles has been drawing me back to them as opposed to weird stutters, unoptimized and crashy PC experiences.

I won't go "consoles only" because thats fucking weird when I have a great PC but I've just been enjoying consoles a lot more again and it's been really nice.

rofif

Banned
Is that a razer mouse dock? I have one for my old ouroboros, that shit works bad
that shit is tragic I tell you. I need to finger it and it might still refuse to charge.
It's viper ultimate and I can't wait until the mouse dies and I get rid of that dock lol

Wish PC games still had physical releases. I'd get more PC games. But I'm a console gamer at heart, I do enjoy PC just fine though, but different kind of games mostly.

Iced Arcade

K.
CiNibaj.gif

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So you are not a gamer? This is not your hobby?
Some minor tech differences matter so much, you will skip games?!

I decided to go for ps5 this gen. Physical games and all. But if a game is better on pc, I will get it there
Gatekeeping much? To some, the minor tech differences do matter that much. Let him do him.

Kilau

Gold Member
How is this different from any other single platform gamer? A person with only a Switch would say “Switch or no buy”

Good for you OP but not a unique take.

MikeM

Until PC is better 100% of the time i’ll never fully commit to it. PS5 and a 7900xt PC.

I’ll buy games wherever they run best, with the caveat being that 30/40fps are automatically not a buy on console. I can run 4k with my PC, but 1440p is still really good.

Then there is trophy support- nothing comes close to xbox and ps achievements. Hell, even Xbox PC achievements don’t hit the same way as console achievements for some reason (wtf MS- why?).

Then there are sweet PS exclusives that speak for themselves. I won’t wait years for them to maybe come to PC.

Buggy Loop

I'm actually the opposite. I have a 3070ti and the low VRAM is messing with my experience in many of the newer games. Hogwarts has insufferable stuttering that seems to be worse after they patched the game. My options are just jump back to PS5 or drop 1K+ on a 4000 series card with adequate VRAM.

Or you know… don’t go ultra quality? What do you honestly think games on PS5 look like?

Last edited:

Bkdk

This is almost me. I spend 99.9% of my time gaming on pc. Mods and trainers do add a lot of quality of life improvements for pc gaming. Even simple functions in trainer like speed up running speed or stealth mode really enhance experience for basically all of the games I play. I might break my habit for buying ff16 on ps5. I’m wondering if I can even finish the game anymore, but played ff series for 25 years so whatever, I’ll play this too I guess.

Justin9mm

You gave up your PS5 and Series X for a Steam Deck and now that makes you a PC Player? Like.. Wut? You've gone backwards.

The steam deck is no way comparable to the current gen consoles, it doesn't also justify calling you a PC Player when you effectively can't even run all games.

If you'd said I have switched to my new gaming PC, an actual PC, that makes sense, this does not.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
You gave up your PS5 and Series X for a Steam Deck and now that makes you a PC Player? Like.. Wut? You've gone backwards.

The steam deck is no way comparable to the current gen consoles, it doesn't also justify calling you a PC Player when you effectively can't even run all games.

If you'd said I have switched to my new gaming PC, an actual PC, that makes sense, this does not.
No, Steam Deck is not my PC.

Calverz

I've become a PC only player.

I was platform agnostic just until this very generation. I would buy any game I'd wanted in the platform they were available or made the most sense to get it in.

Sadly, this generation was a disappointing mess for me, it's gonna be 3 years since new gen hardware came out and there's absolutely nothing that the new consoles stand out about.

And now with PlayStation games coming to PC and being able to emulate Nintendo games, plus the fact that I don't care on playing any of those exclusives day one.

Just found myself not getting games in any platform but on PC (due to all the PC advantages that we all know and won't list in this thread and won't discuss about either).

So after getting rid of my old Switch last year when I got the Steam Deck. Giving away my Series X to one of my nephews, and just recently sold my PS5 due to no use.

I've just became a "no PC no buy person". Even if a game in another platform interests me, I won't go out of my way to get it. I'll only get it if they come out of their way and are made available on PC.

Anyone else changed their PC preference lately?
I’m very close. I just got a 4090 so I’m basically everything on pc. The switch is still in the house for my child to play. I still have a series x for bc titles. But tempted to sell that.
Sold my ps5 last year.

Justin9mm

I’m very close. I just got a 4090 so I’m basically everything on pc. The switch is still in the house for my child to play. I still have a series x for bc titles. But tempted to sell that.
Sold my ps5 last year.
I have a 3080, PS5 & XSX and I still mainly play on my PS5 for anything that's not on or coming to gamepass. But if I outlayed the money for a 4090, considering the cost, I'd feel guilty not making it my main gaming platform lol

I still love my PS5, I can't explain why, couch gaming mixed with my favourite controller is probably the reason.

Draugoth

Gold Member
pc gaming never changes. It's good with the bad. Good to have it but not sure about maining it
Get a ps5 and all you have to care about then, is time to play games. Not time to fix issues!

Kinda late for me now, despite the drawbacks, having a 4090 is just too good of a feeling.

But having to deal with driver(s), yearly hardware updates and shitty game optimization issues every week is driving me insane, i recently had issues with my PSU and it took me 5 hours to install a new one, meanwhile a console takes 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I was platform agnostic just until this very generation. I would buy any game I'd wanted in the platform they were available or made the most sense to get it in.

Sadly, this generation was a disappointing mess for me, it's gonna be 3 years since new gen hardware came out and there's absolutely nothing that the new consoles stand out about.

And now with PlayStation games coming to PC and being able to emulate Nintendo games, plus the fact that I don't care on playing any of those exclusives day one.

Just found myself not getting games in any platform but on PC (due to all the PC advantages that we all know and won't list in this thread and won't discuss about either).

So after getting rid of my old Switch last year when I got the Steam Deck. Giving away my Series X to one of my nephews, and just recently sold my PS5 due to no use.

I've just became a "no PC no buy person". Even if a game in another platform interests me, I won't go out of my way to get it. I'll only get it if they come out of their way and are made available on PC.

Congrats you've devolved into a warrior! Hopefully you don't use trash Windows or OS X.

rofif

Banned
Kinda late for me now, despite the drawbacks, having a 4090 is just too good of a feeling.

But having to deal with driver(s), yearly hardware updates and shitty game optimization issues every week is driving me insane, i recently had issues with my PSU and it took me 5 hours to install a new one, meanwhile a console takes 10 minutes.
It’s all doable. I just don’t have patience for it anymore but with 4090 you can brute force anything

Puscifer

Gold Member
Is that a razer mouse dock? I have one for my old ouroboros, that shit works bad
New wireless mouse tech is nuts, you should give it a chance. I honestly can't go back to regular corded nice, Aerox 3 wireless is a great starting point since it has super low latency and is always on sale for 50-65 bucks

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You must be the only one that have to deal with drivers, do yearly hardware updates, buy day 1 games every week before the patchs and take 5 hours to install a PSU.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PC is objectively the better platform but it also objectively has a higher cost. And it often does take a little tinkering for many games.

Many people wanna just spend $600 on a ps5/xbox, play games at essentially low-medium settings for 5-7 years, and just have to download patches/firmware updates instead of changing a config file or setting. Its an easier curated experience with less reward but also less work.

Leonidas

Agreed OP.

I'll probably never buy another game for any modern console going forward. I've had PS5 digital for over a year and the only new games I play on it are the ones that show up in PS+ Extra. Can't bring myself to buy a game on the console knowing a PC version may come, but I do use PS+ Extra to try some things out that I might not otherwise have played.

At this point consoles are only useful for me for legacy content or subscription services (PS+ Extra, Game Pass) to try out some things.

Guilty_AI

There are just too many games coming out. Even if you own only one platforms, regardless of what that platform is, its very likely you won't be able to keep up with everything.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I've generally bought a PS console when it gets cheaper in its life cycle for exclusives but I play mostly on PC(gaming rig/steam deck). With PS exclusives and the option for gamepasd I don't see any reason to get a condole(0 interest in Nintendo games).

On top of that with over 1000 games on steam dating back to when it started, why invest in any platform which makes you rebuy the same thing(realise m$ have bc etc. I just mean in general).

Plus on OC I can use my steering wheel from 5 years ago, flight stick from 6 years ago, arcade stick from the same time, 360 controller from 2013, LC is a wonderful ecosystem.

Xdrive05

Same here. I have a very budget-mainstream gaming PC. Nothing fancy at all, but it always gets the job done for me and then some. The versatility is unparalleled. It's clearly the best platform if you only have one platform. I also have a Switch but that's kind of a different use case altogether.

Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Tomahawk B450 motherboard
32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
EVGA RTX 3060 12GB overclocked & undervolted
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD
Corsair MX500 1TB SSD
50 foot long HDMI and USB cables wired through my basement for the "comfy couch" living room experience.

tusharngf

smart choice.. i have also switched to PC due to steam library. I got some digital titles on ps3 and xbox 360 but i am moving away from them.

Apocryphon

I was properly omni-platform until Xbox One. That shit was so disappointing that I decided I wasn’t doing it this gen. I opted not to upgrade my PC since the PS4 Pro had what I needed for that generation, and now I have moved to Series X for desk-based gaming, and I have both a Steam Deck and Switch OLED for handheld/elsewhere sessions.

I think I’m done with gaming desktops and owning both major consoles. I would probably have bought a PS5, but I took a friend in for 6 months when he needed a hand and then for my birthday last year the little cunt bought me a Series X. With Gamepass being so good, and Sonys biggest games being ported to PC where I can play them on Steam Deck, I really don’t think I’ll feel like I’m missing out.

The next Switch better have decent BC too otherwise I’m done with Nintendo too! I’ll buy Steam Deck successors in a heartbeat, but I can’t keep up with all of this shit now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony should care, it's offering just enough pc stuff to push these people away from console.
Now we wait and see if there is enough of them to matter for ps6. Probably largely depends on gpu pricing.

SeraphJan

Games on PC are generally cheaper, it adds up, so PC gaming are not more expensive than Console gaming, the hardware is worth the investment as PC could do many things, and games are easier to adjust due to PC game mostly have way better option menu, the MODS are also what Console misses.

That being said, I do believe both PS5 and Switch had their charm, PS5 have many good first party game that are not on PC and more are coming out, its PS Plus subscription covers a lot of games that Game pass doesn't, the most important aspect that PS5 is appealing to me is its VR roadmap which I'm a huge fan of. For Switch, its a handheld companion console, however Steam Deck is slowly taking its place, but Nintendo also have good first party game, although their first party games are less appealing to me compare to its GameCube era..

I mostly buy games on PC, as it functional on both PC and Steamdeck for portability. PS5 I mainly use for exclusives, VR content and PS Plus library. Switch are now only for exclusives. My Series X is sitting in my living room for guest to play, since its better suited in that position than a PC rig

Last edited:

Based. Yes I own all platforms but you can't deny the might of PC even with shitty ports. I'm playing Soul Hackers 2 on consoles it's got a 60fps mode and a 4k 30fps. I wanted to play the high graphics mode but the 30fps and frame pacing was not smooth so I tried it on PC.

It plays at 4k 144fps easily in my 5 year old GPU.. honestly made my jaw drop, the game has shader comp stutters but the smoothness and sharpness of native 4k at 144fps was too much for me to pass on.

Top Bottom