• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2022, unfinished backlog only

Are you taking part in the the No New Games Pact of 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters

LegionX

13. ADR1FT (PC)

I've been eyeing this game for probably a year, constantly considering it as I knew it wasn't a very long game and the premise interested me... finally I jumped on to it and gave it a shot. It took me 3.8 hours to complete, and to be honest.. wore out its welcome for me! It's a game where you are an astronaut that wakes up after a space station has been destroyed, and it's 95% a walking (floating?) simulator where you have to go between broken sections, grabbing air canisters as you go, restarting enough systems to try to get home... Problem is there's no variety, so it's all just extremely slow movement moving between areas, making sure not to overuse your air (thrust uses air) and always looking for the next canister. The game is also playable in VR and I have to imagine that's where it shines, as the experience of floating through a space station is probably a lot stronger with a headset on. Not recommended if just playing on a flat screen though

14. 11-11 Memories Retold (PC)

An interesting one, it's the story of 2 characters on opposite sides of a war that eventually meet up, and their experiences without really being able to understand each other. The thing that stands out the most is the art style.. It's certainly not going to be for everybody... It has a weird filter that try's to make things kind of like a painting, but it does make things kind of blurry and indistinct. All up, I enjoyed it, it's got a solid story and while most of the gameplay is more puzzle based than action, it kept me interested for its 5 hours of play it took me to complete

15. World Of Goo (PC)

Like the previous month where I'd gone back to the very start of my PS+ subscription and played some of the early games, I did the same thing here with Indie games, remembering that back about 12 years ago I'd been all excited about the prospects of this new thing called "Humble Indie Bundle" and insanity of getting 5 or 6 indie games for US$10... How times have changed since then where stores practically throw games at us! Anyways.. the sad thing was, for all my excitement and buying it at the time.. i never played a single one of those games until this year! I played Penumbra Overture earlier in the year not even realizing I got it from that old bundle.. so I decided to give the others ago.. thus World of Goo... It's an early physics based game, kind of like a bridge builder, but where you have to use blobs of goo to reach a pipe (and keep enough of them alive to escape the level). I'm generally pretty bad at this kind of physics puzzle game, but I did enjoy my time with it, some of the levels had me stumped for a fair while and there may have been a couple of sneak visits to YouTube to see others tactics... but I got through it! It tells a fairly basic story and is just in generally a pretty good little game!

I also played 20 hours of another game and got as far as the end boss... but got stuck there.... hopefully I'll revisit and have some success soon so I can write that one up as well!

SpiceRacz

Finished Doom 2. Not on my backlog, but I haven't played it in a really long time and wanted to revisit after Bakkus Bakkus posted about it a few pages ago. The level design is way better than I remember. They do a great job of mixing it up and throwing different stuff at you, especially in the latter half of the game. I'm happy to say I was wrong on this one. I just had a great time running around blasting the shit out of idiot demons. Also doesn't hurt that I went back and played Duke Nukem 3D and I found the levels to be too maze-like and confusing. Gave me some perspective on how well-made Doom 2 is.

Last edited:

Bakkus

I managed to get another one of the really expensive games a few months ago; The NTSC SEGA CD version of Snatcher. Last week, I played and finished it and what a ride it was. I was afraid I was gonna feel it hadn't aged well and had some archaic mechanics, and it did but not to the degree I thought. I loved the characters, the setting and most of the story. The gameplay feels like a precursor to the Ace Attorney games which is one of my favorite franchises. The game is filled with so many clever ideas that I can't believe it's as old as it is. There were some weird story moments and a plot twist I wasn't a big fan of, but those are nitpicks. I can't believe this has never been rereleased.

I also played and finished the Cuphead DLC, but that's from this year, so it doesn't count.

My next game is probably gonna be MGS4. Judging by what I've read on the internet, I'm very sceptical, but I'll give it a fair try. I also wanna finish the story.

DelireMan7

My next game is probably gonna be MGS4. Judging by what I've read on the internet, I'm very sceptical, but I'll give it a fair try. I also wanna finish the story.
In term of gameplay I find it really good. But you can only use it at its full potential in the 2 first acts.

Story wise, it has the merit to bring closure to a lot of opened plot point in the previous games. But some are really "wacky" or silly. One specific plot point is very cringy and annoying to me and leads to a completely over the top cringe scene xD.

A lot of fan service too but in a good sense for me. Act 4 is just pure fan service. A dream come true for me.

I did several playthroughs and I was really not convince the first time but I learned to like as a conclusion of the saga.

DelireMan7

My challenge :
No 2022 games (or as low as possible). I can buy older games. If I buy a game, I play it immediately avoid growing my backlog.

Physical Backlog* :
  • The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky (PSP)
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • Baldur's Gate : Siege of Dragonspear (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Throne of Bhaal (PS4)
  • Zelda Ocarina of time (N64)
  • Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
  • Project X Zone (3DS) Gave up !
  • Brigandine : The legend of Runersia (Switch)
  • The Mark of Kri (PS2)
  • Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 : Record Breaker (3DS)
  • Demon's Souls (PS5) Done !
  • Divinity : Original Sin (PS4/5)
  • [2022] The legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess (Wii)
  • [2022] Final Fantasy Tactics : The War of the Lions (PSP) Done !
*doesn't include PSplus free games

Games completed :
  1. Demon's Souls (PS5) (Started the 13th of December , finished the 3rd of January, 25h20)
  2. [Replay] Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice (PS5) (Started the 6th of January, finished the 1st of February, NG/NG+/NG++ done in 91h40)
  3. [2022] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started the 25h of February, finished the 22nd of April, 190 hours)
  4. [Replay] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started the 23rd of April, finished the 16th of May, 52 hours)
  5. [2022] Final Fantasy Tactics : the War of the Lions (PSP) (Started the 18th of May, finished the 4th of June, 51 hours)
  6. Project X Zone (3DS) (Started on 20th of February, gave up, around 35 hours)
Since I finished Final Fantasy Tactics, I couldn't touch this game anymore. So I decided to give up on it and remove it from my backlog.

I already spoke of its flaws several times so here's a quick summary :
  • Extremely repetitive (arrive on a map, map fills with dozens of enemies, spend 1h30/2h to clear it, arrive on next map and repeat...)
  • Barely any strategy involved (you have unlimited actions during your turn so you can heal all your characters whenever you need, most enemies are fodder than you defeat without effort and bosses have huge HP bar)
  • Non sensical comedic story : not necessarily a con but with the low level of interest the gameplay offers, it's not the story that will keep your interest
  • Way too long for such a game. It's a 50+ hours game where you do always the same thing again and again : battles which are entertaining for a bit but at one point it's pointless. It should be a 15/20h game maximum.
If you look of a Strategy JRPG, don't go for this one xD.

Currently playing :

Still on my third playthrough of Elden Ring. 35 hours in and really enjoying it again. Strength build with heavy weapons.

I also complete in coop TMNT : Shredder's Revenge. I might make a post here about it. Fun game but was expecting more after Streets of Rage 4. It's a pretty casual game and a bit button masher. Still having fun but I will not spend as much time as I did with SoR4.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Finished Doom 64 on Series X. I've played through most of the game before and wanted to finish it this time. Plus, I just wrapped up Doom 2 recently. This would probably be my favorite Doom game if it weren't for the bullshit final boss. The levels are more intricate than the previous Doom games, in a good way. It's more maze-like, but not so much that I found myself getting lost. The most noticeable change is this has a different look and tone to it than the other games. It's way creepier and downright unsettling. Especially the music. Gameplay is still the same, which is to say it's great. To me, this is the proper sequel to Doom 2 and it deserves to be played by more people.

VidKid369

Finished Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. (PS2) It’s a pretty short game but it took me a little bit to beat cause there were like 4 days where I was just effing around. It’s definitely a fun little romp if you like traditional turn-based RPGs. I guess I’ve officially beat the Breath of Fire series now. Feels good, man.

Dunno what to start next either Suikoden V or Growlanser III? shrugs

Bakkus

In term of gameplay I find it really good. But you can only use it at its full potential in the 2 first acts.

Story wise, it has the merit to bring closure to a lot of opened plot point in the previous games. But some are really "wacky" or silly. One specific plot point is very cringy and annoying to me and leads to a completely over the top cringe scene xD.

A lot of fan service too but in a good sense for me. Act 4 is just pure fan service. A dream come true for me.

I did several playthroughs and I was really not convince the first time but I learned to like as a conclusion of the saga.
I did finish it just a few days after. Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan. Act 1 was meh as I am not a fan of the CoD/Battlefield setting and sounds. Act 2 was alright with a decent boss (the ONLY one I could say that for) but the rail shooting segment at the end was lame, Act 3 is absolute suckage from beginning to end with the shittiest cutscene in the entire game at the end which last forever. Bad boss too, and ANOTHER rail shooting segment at the end. Act 4 not a huge fan as I had no real big affection for the location to begin with. Both bosses are lame, and the metal gear fight is terrible. Act 5 is a really lame movie with a really cryptic puzzle disguised as a boss battle. Mathematosis' review sums it all up better than I ever could. One thing I really do like about the game are all the hot women with 10/10 body porportions! That's really the only thing it has going for it. Good voice acting too. But the story man, what a trainwreck.

Kev Kev

i need to do this. i dont have a ton of backlog so its actually quite doable. plus i just moved and had to drop thousands of dollars on moving costs, down payments, new furniture, etc. so i need to work hard, stay home and svae money. might be a good time for me to finish all those games i started (many of them are actually really good!).

DelireMan7

I did finish it just a few days after. Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan. Act 1 was meh as I am not a fan of the CoD/Battlefield setting and sounds. Act 2 was alright with a decent boss (the ONLY one I could say that for) but the rail shooting segment at the end was lame, Act 3 is absolute suckage from beginning to end with the shittiest cutscene in the entire game at the end which last forever. Bad boss too, and ANOTHER rail shooting segment at the end. Act 4 not a huge fan as I had no real big affection for the location to begin with. Both bosses are lame, and the metal gear fight is terrible. Act 5 is a really lame movie with a really cryptic puzzle disguised as a boss battle. Mathematosis' review sums it all up better than I ever could. One thing I really do like about the game are all the hot women with 10/10 body porportions! That's really the only thing it has going for it. Good voice acting too. But the story man, what a trainwreck.

I understand. It's a really peculiar experience when compare to other MGS. And it definitely has as lot of flaws.

I personally loved the Act 1 setting, whereas it's usually not my thing. Sneaking across an active war zone feels really good.
Yes Act 3 is really really annoying with the guy to follow and the boss is on the same level of annoyance.

Act 4 is really amazing for me. My only regret is the absence of human ennemies. But the first MGS is a really special game for me. Play it as a teen while I never heard about it. The game blew my mind. I beat it like 10 times in a row. It has a really special place in my gamer heart so when I understood where Act 4 was going my inner teenage went crazy ! And each time I replay MGS4, Act 4 has the same magic. I really like the boss (nice reenactment from the first game) and the final battle is literally my teenage dream come true. Objectively controls and battle are most probably pretty bad but my inner teenage is just "HO FUCKING HELL YES !!!!" each time... xD

Act 5 is really a Kojima thing. Like you said essentially a movie. My main complaint is the scenes with Meryl and Johnny (anyway this character is a major problem for the game in my opinion) which are puke inducing for me xD. I've replay the game several times and each time I accept a bit more the flaws of the game but the whole Johnny stuff... No way !

Then the final battle is pretty memorable (while again having questionable controls) and again a nice reenactment from MGS 1 which bring an "emotional" (at least for me) conclusion to the "Twin Snakes" story.

I can't really wrap my head around the post credit scene. It's start good but the reappearance of a character really makes me angry.
Lot of the story points during the game are "What the hell ?!" but ... it is what it is !

Anyway ! A flawed game that concludes the MGS saga (chronologically speaking). Not in the best way but I accepted it (since anyway we will not have anything more).

SpiceRacz

Knocked another one off my list.

header.jpg

I heard about this game through Matt Rorie of Giant Bomb some years ago. It's a Hotline Miami style brawler where you move from room to room clearing out enemies before you can advance. It's melee focused, but the gimmick here is your character can flash or teleport a short distance. This allows you to flash through walls and quickly manuever around the map. It sounds simple, but the developers use it in interesting ways. It's only about 4 hours long with a decent level of difficulty (I found it easier than Hotline Miami). Including some gifs in case anyone is curious.

AngryJadedBlueandgoldmackaw-max-1mb.gif

vX1R2V2BzHof1V49P1g-Zbobg7jazXdjcAX-fkjvM_xY4_Eqw_qgKCWeZkgon0vZfyl7ONKhB6f0WkvPBKa_pFIYjfEJx6p-GdahG_CAUw

Mr_Shifty_Launch.png

DelireMan7

Knocked another one off my list.

header.jpg

I heard about this game through Matt Rorie of Giant Bomb some years ago. It's a Hotline Miami style brawler where you move from room to room clearing out enemies before you can advance. It's melee focused, but the gimmick here is your character can flash or teleport a short distance. This allows you to flash through walls and quickly manuever around the map. It sounds simple, but the developers use it in interesting ways. It's only about 4 hours long with a decent level of difficulty (I found it easier than Hotline Miami). Including some gifs in case anyone is curious.

AngryJadedBlueandgoldmackaw-max-1mb.gif

vX1R2V2BzHof1V49P1g-Zbobg7jazXdjcAX-fkjvM_xY4_Eqw_qgKCWeZkgon0vZfyl7ONKhB6f0WkvPBKa_pFIYjfEJx6p-GdahG_CAUw

Mr_Shifty_Launch.png
Damn ! The artstyle looks amazing. I always been a fan for teleportation abilities. I'll keep this game in mind :)

My backlog will get a bit bigger ! Due to a move, a friend of mine had to help his mother sorting all the stuff in his family house and he recovered a lot of games.
He knows I like to collect old games and he doesn't have space for it so he will give them to me :)
Games like Final Fantasy VIII (PS1), Resident Evil 4 (PS2), Fallout games (PC) and many others.
But the most notable one is Skies of Arcadia (GC) ! This game is so expensive nowaday ! I am glad I can finally play it !

Bakkus

Finished Psychonauts 2 on Game Pass. It was a great time. Way better than the first game. Movement feels much better and the platforming and combat has been improved. The minds you enter are also on average much better than the first game. Some of them are still a bit gimmicky, but it's mostly now a good time. My favorite part of the game was to roam around the overworld because that's where the platforming and movement in this game is put to the best of use. Some criticisms I have is that the story takes itself a bit too seriously and becomes a bit of a headache to follow all the plot twists and intricacies of it. As mentioned before, the platforming and combat has been much improved, but it's still not great (other than in the overworld, the platforming as mentioned before feels great there). The game do still at times feel like a leftover of those mediocre 3D platformers of the 5th gen like Ty 1-3, Vexx, Pac-Man World 1-3 and of course Psychonauts 1, but overall it's still a much better time which I absolutely recommend.

Don Carlo

Finished Psychonauts 2 on Game Pass. It was a great time. Way better than the first game. Movement feels much better and the platforming and combat has been improved. The minds you enter are also on average much better than the first game. Some of them are still a bit gimmicky, but it's mostly now a good time. My favorite part of the game was to roam around the overworld because that's where the platforming and movement in this game is put to the best of use. Some criticisms I have is that the story takes itself a bit too seriously and becomes a bit of a headache to follow all the plot twists and intricacies of it. As mentioned before, the platforming and combat has been much improved, but it's still not great (other than in the overworld, the platforming as mentioned before feels great there). The game do still at times feel like a leftover of those mediocre 3D platformers of the 5th gen like Ty 1-3, Vexx, Pac-Man World 1-3 and of course Psychonauts 1, but overall it's still a much better time which I absolutely recommend.
You are too late to the party, but yes the game is absolute blast!!

LegionX

Continuing my playthrough of games from the first Humble Indie Bundle

16. Lugaru HD (PC)

This one doesn't exactly hold up to modern standards... and to call it HD in these times is a bit of a joke.. but it technically WAS an updated version of an even older game at the time... It's a very short (yet very hard at points) 3rd person hand to hand combat game where you play as a rabbit, fighting other rabbits and sometimes wolves, but don't think anything at all like Sifu.. this is very basic indeed.... The concept was continued to a more polished/complete title some years later, but I'd not recommend anybody bother with this one. It took me 2.5h to complete, and at least half of that time was in retrying levels after dying.

17. Killzone 3 (PS3)

This was having a break from those indie games, and finally playing a game I'd been meaning to get to for years now. It's still impressive what this team was able to do with the limits of the PS3 hardware. Being stuck in 720P obviously hurts it a lot, but otherwise it really does look very good for the era! Not really got a lot to say about it, it's a Killzone FPS title... they made the controls not quite as heavy as 2, not that I ever had an issue with that, but I recall plenty did back in the day.. All up, enjoyed playing my way through this one

18. Gish! (PC)

Back to indies, and this one has an interesting history as it's made in part by the guy that went on to do the meat boy/binding of isaac games etc, I believe including having Gish, the main character in this game pop up as one of the bosses years later. This game never clicked with me though, It's a physics based platform game, where you are a blob type creature and you need to do things like bounce up and down to increase height, stick to ceilings, increase weight to squash things etc, which is all fine and good, but I never did get used to the controls, the timing of the jump never felt reliable and I failed/died many times knowing what to do just not being able to control the character well enough to do it. All up I found it frustrating... it's not a very long game (3.7h for me) so I did push through it, but yea, I'll never go back to it

19. Samorost 1 and 2 (PC)

I'm going to these 2 as just one title, basically, Samorost 1 is a tiny little free to play game (On Steam now if anybody is curious) and Samorost 2 was a longer (still short) expansion on what the first game did

The art style is something that I really enjoyed, it's by the people that went on to Machinarium and others, so if you've seen that, this is similar, a 2D style that is part point and click, part puzzle game I guess.. It has a nice chill style and was a fun time for the less than 90mins both titles combined took to complete

Last edited:
Fuck, I fell off the wagon big time. Not in terms of the pledge -- that's still very much active, and I'm still in the Platinum "no new 2022 games" category. I'm just not burning down/playing as many games in my backlog as I would like since real life has taken over.

But I'm about to start again. An IRL buddy told me he was waiting on me to play Yakuza 7, so that might be my next game, we'll see

Bakkus

Finished Disco Elysium on Steam a few hours ago. Another game way out of my comfort zone. I liked it a lot at the beginning, your partner Kim is a great likable character, and it was fun meeting all the different characters for the first time and listening to their problems. It became a bit weaker at the end where it felt rushed and poorly paced and with an anti climactic ending. I still think this game is alright, but very overrated.

Finished Disco Elysium on Steam a few hours ago. Another game way out of my comfort zone. I liked it a lot at the beginning, your partner Kim is a great likable character, and it was fun meeting all the different characters for the first time and listening to their problems. It became a bit weaker at the end where it felt rushed and poorly paced and with an anti climactic ending. I still think this game is alright, but very overrated.
Yeah I've seen that game praised to high heaven and back....

Bakkus

Finished Rhythm Heaven Fever on Wii and got a medal on all 50 stages. Holy shit what a great game, took me completely by surprise. Didn't think I would enjoy it that much. The Japan only GBA version feels like a tech demo compared to this. Almost every stage is a complete joy you will feel immense feedback loop over and improving yourself at. And don't worry, there are no motion controls here. Everything is controlled with the buttons.

Finished Rhythm Heaven Fever on Wii and got a medal on all 50 stages. Holy shit what a great game, took me completely by surprise. Didn't think I would enjoy it that much. The Japan only GBA version feels like a tech demo compared to this. Almost every stage is a complete joy you will feel immense feedback loop over and improving yourself at. And don't worry, there are no motion controls here. Everything is controlled with the buttons.
Never heard of this game before, and just looked up some footage.

Holy shit, this is an incredibly creative and well designed game. I didn't know something like this existed!

Bakkus

No new posts in 15 days. Jesus... does Y0ssarian Y0ssarian know his ban is over?

Anyways, I finished Suikoden on PS1 (BC on PS2) yesterday and it was alright, but it has a lot of flaws you wouldn't expect a turn based JRPG to have by the 5th generation. The magic system is really weird and not thought through properly. The translation is pretty bad and most characters have nothing going for them. It also has the Earthbound problem of items being locked to the characters and equippable armor take up inventory spots. There are also a total of 108 characters to recruit and more than half of them are playable characters in battle and they hoard the items they have when you're not using them. There are also two of them which are missable after a certain point and I missed one of them due to that making me get the lesser ending so I had to youtube the bigger ending. Still the game has many redeeming qualities; The battle system is fast paced, the game is fairly short for it's genre and unlike pretty much every other JRPG franchise, you are not fighting to save the world. The game is much more personal than that. You also have big war battles when you are invading a castle, and solo duels to mix things up which is pretty cool. Still, the biggest reason I played this was because I've heard the sequel is extremely good and the game carries over save data from this game with stats and several other bonuses included, so I look forward to playing that one.

Oh yeah and the music is fairly mediocre with the exception of this song which is one of the best VGMs I've ever heard...

No new posts in 15 days. Jesus...
Haha yeah, I've actually been playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon for which I created an LTTP for on the main side. It's a long ass game so I won't be done with it for a while.

I wouldn't even know if Sega Nintendo posts on here anymore, I ended up telling him off and blocking him for his trolling on the main gaming side. I don't know if he's back to his former self, but he's definitely changed; went from being one of my favorite posters, to a wholesale troll. (Which is why he keeps getting banned, I think he got back from either his second or third successive ban!?)

Anyway, yeah I'll try to post more here even though I'm playing a very long game at the moment.

Bakkus

Haha yeah, I've actually been playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon for which I created an LTTP for on the main side. It's a long ass game so I won't be done with it for a while.

I wouldn't even know if Sega Nintendo posts on here anymore, I ended up telling him off and blocking him for his trolling on the main gaming side. I don't know if he's back to his former self, but he's definitely changed; went from being one of my favorite posters, to a wholesale troll. (Which is why he keeps getting banned, I think he got back from either his second or third successive ban!?)

Anyway, yeah I'll try to post more here even though I'm playing a very long game at the moment.
Maybe something happened in his life. Anyways, there are still a few others still around who never posts here anymore.

Yeah I think we gotto get the activity back up.

I'll do my part. But again... Yakuza: LaD 😂

(My first ever turn based JRPG)

Last edited:

SeraphJan

No new posts in 15 days. Jesus... does Y0ssarian Y0ssarian know his ban is over?

Anyways, I finished Suikoden on PS1 (BC on PS2) yesterday and it was alright, but it has a lot of flaws you wouldn't expect a turn based JRPG to have by the 5th generation. The magic system is really weird and not thought through properly. The translation is pretty bad and most characters have nothing going for them. It also has the Earthbound problem of items being locked to the characters and equippable armor take up inventory spots. There are also a total of 108 characters to recruit and more than half of them are playable characters in battle and they hoard the items they have when you're not using them. There are also two of them which are missable after a certain point and I missed one of them due to that making me get the lesser ending so I had to youtube the bigger ending. Still the game has many redeeming qualities; The battle system is fast paced, the game is fairly short for it's genre and unlike pretty much every other JRPG franchise, you are not fighting to save the world. The game is much more personal than that. You also have big war battles when you are invading a castle, and solo duels to mix things up which is pretty cool. Still, the biggest reason I played this was because I've heard the sequel is extremely good and the game carries over save data from this game with stats and several other bonuses included, so I look forward to playing that one.

Oh yeah and the music is fairly mediocre with the exception of this song which is one of the best VGMs I've ever heard...

Fair criticism, I personally love this game to death, one of the best experience I had back in the 90s, maybe because I haven't went back so the flaw you mentioned are not as apparent to me.

For the second game, the translation didn't improve either, that's a very common thing for most JRPG in the 90s.

My personal favorite is this

It played in many heart breaking moment, there is also a rearranged version of this in Suikoden II

Last edited:

SeraphJan

What exactly did he do? I have no idea he was banned, he didn't seem like the troll type to me, maybe I've missed something

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Maybe something happened in his life. Anyways, there are still a few others still around who never posts here anymore.

I still peep this thread, but haven't touched my backlog until recently. Working through Rayman Origins right now.

Edit: Nevermind. Saw what happened with Infinite. Pretty silly to leave the forum over that, but maybe he had a foot out the door anyway. Oh well.

Last edited:

Bakkus

I just saw the reason for his ban...are everyone gonna be banned for disagreeing with forum decisions? Man, I have little motivation to continue posting in this thread now. If you're reading this IC, could you add me on Discord? Same username. #1425

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I just saw the reason for his ban...are everyone gonna be banned for disagreeing with forum decisions? Man, I have little motivation to continue posting in this thread now. If you're reading this IC, could you add me on Discord? Same username.
What he too? What happened? I love this thread, add me too, same username #9260

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I just saw the reason for his ban...are everyone gonna be banned for disagreeing with forum decisions? Man, I have little motivation to continue posting in this thread now. If you're reading this IC, could you add me on Discord? Same username. #1425

What he too? What happened? I love this thread, add me too, same username
If he messages either of you, can you let me know please? I'd like to stay in contact, IC is a good man

DelireMan7

Damn ! InfiniteCombo is banned ?! I saw the post and don't really get why he got ban...
Anyway I just visit the main gaming forum for news and then this thread and the Elden Ring one. I try not to go into other non gaming discussion.

Such a pity, he is a really good guy and passionate about Video games.

Long time I didn't post here because I am still on Elden Ring. Not much left (I would guess 10/15h max, if the 3 big optional bosses left don't take me long). Then I am gonna go back to my backlog.

Hope this thread will continue.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Why was InfiniteCombo banned/leave? The reason I was getting banned was because I started having a bad time on here (not this thread), had one foot out the door and I kept posting snoy memes. I trolled Combo once but I wasn't being serious. I was being sincere when I made that earlier post in this thread where I said he got me back into Yakuza.

Incidentally, I finished God of War Ascension, Last of Us Part II and I'm near the end of Crash 4.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Games that I've beaten over the last few months (that I remember):

Yakuza 3 Remastered: I finished Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 past year and needed a solid break from tge series. I came back with Y3R and I think the criticism of this game is a bit overblown. Okinawa is comfy and the boss battles are just as blocky as Yakuza 4 or 5. I actually preferred it to Kiwami 1. The story is very good and Rikiya is a solid companion.

Yakuza 4 Remastered: Started this pretty much straight after Y3R. Did not like the new characters as much as Kiryu, but I think it was a decent game. Saejima is interesting. I started Yakuza 5 Remastered and I am getting burnt out again. I need a break again.

Panzer Dragoon Orta: Amazing game. This and starfox 64 are the best rail shooters, period. I'd say Orta is better, you need to change views and dragon forms. Freakin amazing game.

It's getting late here, I'll talk about the other stuff next time

SeraphJan

Why was InfiniteCombo banned/leave? The reason I was getting banned was because I started having a bad time on here (not this thread), had one foot out the door and I kept posting snoy memes. I trolled Combo once but I wasn't being serious. I was being sincere when I made that earlier post in this thread where I said he got me back into Yakuza.

Incidentally, I finished God of War Ascension, Last of Us Part II and I'm near the end of Crash 4.
Glad you are back!

Y0ssarian

Banned
Some other games thst I beat very recently. I started playing The Last of Us Part II earlier in this year, saying I was going to drop it because it was a nasty little game. I came back to it and finished it. My favourite part is where you play as Abby and there is a sniper firing at you as you advance on them with Manny. Ellie seemed kind of dumb in this game but she is a teenager I suppose. The presentation is 10/10 and the combat is brutal and satisfying. If you shoot someone in the head you can see their brains splatter on the wall next to them. 9/10

I read God of War Ascension was supposed to be the worst God of War game, and frankly, it is. But it's still a good game, just the weakest in a great series. This is because of the story. The puzzles have been made more interesting with a heal/decay mechanic and you can create a double of yourself to hold switches. Combat is as good as ever, if not the best. Graphics look amazing, like an early ps4 game. 8/10

Finally, I finished Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. I'm seriously considering that this is the best Crash game now. I installed the Crash N Sane trilogy after to make some comparisons and I'm not so sure. Crash 4 is better than Crash 1 at least imo. People say 4 is really hard but you get infinite lives and extra checkpoints if you want to. The platforming challenges were quite excellent and you could see a lot of thought was put into this game.

I'm playing Ratchet & Clank Going Commando and inFamous 2 now. I bought a lot of ps3 games for peanuts, I love collecting for that console

DelireMan7

My challenge :
No 2022 games (or as low as possible). I can buy older games. If I buy a game, I play it immediately avoid growing my backlog.

Physical Backlog* :
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • The Mark of Kri (PS2) Ongoing !

Games completed :
  1. Demon's Souls (PS5) (Started the 13th of December , finished the 3rd of January, 25h20)
  2. [Replay] Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice (PS5) (Started the 6th of January, finished the 1st of February, NG/NG+/NG++ done in 91h40)
  3. [2022] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started the 25h of February, finished the 22nd of April, 190 hours)
  4. [Replay] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started the 23rd of April, finished the 16th of May, 52 hours)
  5. [2022] Final Fantasy Tactics : the War of the Lions (PSP) (Started the 18th of May, finished the 4th of June, 51 hours)
  7. [Replay] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started 4th of June, finished the 22nd of August, 88h)
Here is my third run of Elden Ring and with it came the platinum trophy.

Went for a fat rolling strength build using colossal weapons. I really enjoy this playstyle, but the game really favor fast build I have the feeling. Especially toward the end where some bosses attacks non stop with really small opening. It makes any slow ability useless which is one of my main complaint about the game. You have hundreds of spells/abilities but a lot of them can't be use against big bosses because there is no opening long enough to use them.
Like on my 2 first playthrough, I had to alter my build toward the end to rely on a more classic dodge/attack strategy instead of using my cool abilities.

I already spoke enough about the game in this thread so to summarize :
  • Impressive games with a lot of builds option (can't wait to try them)
  • Epic lore and world.
  • Too big world leading to many repetition
  • Endgame bosses can be way too aggressive, limiting your choice of playstyle against them.
  • Final boss is pure annoyance and the worst of boss of the Soulsborne.
  • Has the most epic and coolest dragon fight I have ever saw in a video game.

What to play next :

Let's dive back in my backlog !

I have 2 games in mind :
Ocarina of Time and The Mark of Kri (Started 23rd of August).
I think I'll go for the latter because it's a short game and I am in the mood for its colorful visuals. After that I'll probably go for OoT.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

My challenge :

Physical Backlog* :
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • The Mark of Kri (PS2) Done !

Games completed :
  7. [Replay] Elden Ring (PS5) (Started 4th of June, finished the 22nd of August, 88h)
  8. The Mark of Kri (PS2) (Started 23rd of August, finished the 27th of August, 6h48)
A really pleasant surprise this game is.
An action-adventure game with really nice "Disney" visuals. But don't be fooled by it, it's a brutal action game with an outstanding on animation :
You'll behead your opponents, break their neck, put them on the ground to stick your sword in their face, throw them in the air to better impale them with your spear and a favorite of mine : pin them to a wall with your sword through their throat.

This game really has something with its visuals. The scutscenes are time-lapse of pencil drawing. Before each level starts, the drawing is colored, in a wonderful way, to create the loading screen. And then this drawing is transpose into the game graphics where you can directly start playing. At the end of the level, it's the other way around with game graphics transposing to the drawing. I love these transitions.

Then the unique aspect of the game : combat system.
You use the right stick to lock into enemies but not like your everyday action game. When rotating it, you see on screen a beam of light turning around your character. Each time it touch an enemy, you lock into it. You can lock up to 3 foes at once. Each of these foes is assigned to one of your attack buttons : ❌🔲⭕
You get it, you'll attack the enemy assigned to the corresponding button (and again I appreciate the animation work that gives "realistic" move : for example when attacking an enemy behind you, your character will poke quickly with his sword behind him and keep facing the other enemy).
It allows to attack several enemies quickly to prevent them from attacking. But here the twist :
If one of your buttons is not assigned (by locking into 1 or 2 enemies only), you can use it to create more devastating combo (for example : ❌🔲🔲❌, or ❌🔲⭕❌).
So the less you lock enemies, the more you have access to powerful combo.

Add to that the fact that the distance from you opponent change your attack : close = quick and weaker attack, mid range = strong, slower attack (usually a sweep that can hit several opponents)

It's a bit confusing the beginning, but really pleasant to play.
You have access to a sword, then a spear and an axe at the end. Each having some specificity (one is quicker, one better range, one is stronger...)
You can also be bare fist, which remove the ability to guard but allows a powerful parry/disarm that will instant kill foes (again with cool animation).

You also have access to a bow to kill from a distance. With that let's talk about the stealth aspect of the game which is much more present than expected.
When being bare fist, you enter into "stealth mode" that allows sneak kill. In addition you have Kuzo, your faithful raven, that will greatly help you. You can send Kuzo to different spot and see through his eye. It allows you to see your opponents and study the terrain before you get there.
It's a key feature of the game and I really enjoyed it. I had pleasure to scout with him and plan how I will eliminate quietly each foes. Some sections are basically puzzle : How and which order I have to approach each enemies without being seen ?.
You can also distract the enemies by scaring wild animals into their direction or shooting distant bells with your bow. Kuzo can sometimes help with that too.

The only complaints I have is the movement control (touch a little bit a wall and your character completely stop moving...) and the camera controls (you don't have direct control of it. You can move it but it's not really user friendly).
The last level was a bit disappointing : no stealth and infinite enemies. Just run from rooms to rooms and try to open the next door without being overhelm by the crowd of foes.

So to summarize a really good action game with plenty of good idea. You can feel how the dev wanted to do something unique and full of charm.
In several aspects, it can be seen as a "proto Assassin's creed" (I don't mean that negatively)

An experience to have for sure !

What to play next :

Like mentioned in my previous post, I'll certainly go for the cult classic : The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (Started 27th of August).
I never played it and I am really curious to discover it.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY on my ps3. I bought this game for like $5.50 aud including postage and for that price there is no way this game could be viewed negatively.

I actually played my first Batman game on snes (Batman Forever), and saw a friend playing this on Xbox 360 around the time it came out. I generally think all games on the ps3/360 gen hold up pretty well. It was the start of the HD era and games haven't really fundamentally changed all that much since then. They're just longer with better graphics.

Anyway, combat in this is very similar to an early Assassin Creed game, specifically the Ezio games. It's very fast and brutal and has a combo system in place in which you can use more stronger moves if you chain the combo. The Arkham island Asylum and the Joker are also worth mentioning as being stars of the game. Mark Hamil does a good voice performance as joker, and the areas on the island are generally interesting to explore ie Botanical garden.

It's not a long game, I did it in under 10 hours, but I did not do all the Riddler challenges. I'm playing Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (ps3) version and Kingdoms of Amalur now.

DelireMan7

Finished Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY on my ps3. I bought this game for like $5.50 aud including postage and for that price there is no way this game could be viewed negatively.

I actually played my first Batman game on snes (Batman Forever), and saw a friend playing this on Xbox 360 around the time it came out. I generally think all games on the ps3/360 gen hold up pretty well. It was the start of the HD era and games haven't really fundamentally changed all that much since then. They're just longer with better graphics.

Anyway, combat in this is very similar to an early Assassin Creed game, specifically the Ezio games. It's very fast and brutal and has a combo system in place in which you can use more stronger moves if you chain the combo. The Arkham island Asylum and the Joker are also worth mentioning as being stars of the game. Mark Hamil does a good voice performance as joker, and the areas on the island are generally interesting to explore ie Botanical garden.

It's not a long game, I did it in under 10 hours, but I did not do all the Riddler challenges. I'm playing Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (ps3) version and Kingdoms of Amalur now.

Arkham games are really great. Asylum has the best atmosphere and combat for me. But all 3 games (haven't played Origins yet) are worth a run.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Finished Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3 HD Trilogy). I liked this game a lot. I started my Ratchet & Clank journey earlier this year with Ratchet & Clank (2016) and Rift Apart. I enjoyed both of those, so I got the HD Trilogy for PS3. I think Going Commando is the best out of the ones I've played, and the graphics and artwork hold up really well on this HD Trilogy for PS3. The planets were more plentiful in Going Commando than the newer games, and it just seemed to feel better. It's kind of hard to explain. It just had a better game feel?

It felt a bit anti climactic because I spend like an hour and a half grinding bolts (currency), bought the best weapon and armour, and just absolutely destroyed the final stage and boss. The game spikes in difficulty a couple of times but if you grind bolts on Gorn you can buy the best shit and finish the game quite easily. The final boss is actually weaker than several bosses/enemies/sections in the game prior. I had to look up a walkthrough to see if I was actually done, but yep, the credits rolled.

I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur now, and I like it. I did the opening mission, entered the game world proper and spent the next two hours doing sidequests and levelling up. Looking forward to the next Ratchet & Clank (Up Your Arsenal) already

Top Bottom