• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2021, unfinished backlog only

Do you sign the No New Games Pact of 2021?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found 2 games that I wanted to do, for quite a good price compare to what I see on the web :
Project X Zone and Radiant Historia : Perfect Chronology
Popped in to say that I enjoyed PXZ for its characters, dialogue, fanservice and music but the game is a real slog past a certain point. Later levels usually take more than an hour and it's also mindnumbing, not tactically challenging. I do not look back on both games (PXZ 1 & 2) fondly despite having beaten them years ago.

Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did, and if so that'd be great but treat this as an early warning for a heavy timesink.

Edit: Clarification on "both games".

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Popped in to say that I enjoyed PXZ for its characters, dialogue, fanservice and music but the game is a real slog past a certain point. Later levels usually take more than an hour and it's also mindnumbing, not tactically challenging. I do not look back on both games fondly despite having beaten them years ago.

Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did, and if so that'd be great but treat this as an early warning for a heavy timesink.

Thanks for the warning. I mainly took it for the battle system which look like the Valkyrie Profile's combat but crazier.
I was expected long battles as my only experience with SRPG is Fire Emblem Awakening and battles took me hours (and toward the end it annoyed me due to that).

Anyway I'll see when playing it. I don't really know what to expect from it except from the battle system. Might be a good side game to play here and there ^^

Thanks for the warning. I mainly took it for the battle system which look like the Valkyrie Profile's combat but crazier.
I was expected long battles as my only experience with SRPG is Fire Emblem Awakening and battles took me hours (and toward the end it annoyed me due to that).

Anyway I'll see when playing it. I don't really know what to expect from it except from the battle system. Might be a good side game to play here and there ^^
Yea, I apologize in advance if I might be making it hard to enjoy it when the time comes.

I don't recall much about FEA even though I've beaten it before long ago, don't really have any negative impressions about it. Lots of charismatic characters that I liked though!
Anyway, if you wanna try more from that genre, then I highly recommend you check out Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS). No need to hurry, this thread is about clearing out your backlog after all.

But when you finally get the time, try to beat DSO at least once. That game does almost everything right: art direction, gameplay, music, story, characters etc. The game will mark you forever in a positive way :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I beat Ghost of Tsushima (PS4), took me 31 hours. It was solid but very repetitive, so I give it 7.5-8.0/10. Think I'm burned out so I will leave the leftover side quests and collectibles for later. Next up I think I'll go back to Sekiro (PS4).
I wanna go for the Sekiro platinum this year, but I wiped my old saves during a recent winter outage. Such an amazing game, I should just start from scratch and do it.

Just finished Resident Evil: Director's Cut. Really enjoyed it.

I beat it in 7:23:45 and 24 saves.

Now I'm going to play it again as Chris.
Nice job. What ending did you get?

Have fun in your next playthrough. I've always considered Chris the better playthrough and like 80% of the time I replay 1 OG or Remake, I play as Chris.

I wanna go for the Sekiro platinum this year, but I wiped my old saves during a recent winter outage. Such an amazing game, I should just start from scratch and do it.

5aff35cf17a1d621be10f62981e6f053.gif

BTW, sorry to reply again, just wanted to make sure you didn't get the wrong message from earlier: when I said both games, I meant PXZ 1 & 2, not Radiant Historia.

stn

I got the game on release, took a break of like 1.5 years after a certain "drunk" boss kicked my ass like 30 times. Finally beat him a few months ago. Returned to the game today after another hiatus and I've been kicking ass! Beat the first major boss with relative ease, the game is now clicking for me. Gonna keep playing until I beat it, its so good.

After a really busy week, finally resumed playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. It's a fun little FPS romp. I'm really enjoying the story, if I have to describe it it's like "Forrest Gump in the Old West" -- your protagonist character witnesses or is a direct part of many of the legendary shootouts in the Old West. I'm still fairly early on, so I imagine (or: "I reckon" as they used to say a lot in the Old West, lol) I have another 10-15 hours or so to beat the main campaign in Normal mode. So far:

Pros:
  • Great atmosphere and style (including soundtrack)
  • Buttery smooth framerate (it's usually stable at 144fps for me, I'm on a 144Hz monitor)
  • Great voice acting by the main protagonist (who narrates his story even during some gameplay segments, but it never gets annoying or too much. Quite the opposite...)
  • Nice weapon selection, with a weapon wheel for what I imagine are 4 types of weapons (one-handed weapons (e.g., pistol); two-handed weapons (e.g., rifle, shotgun, etc); projectiles (e.g., dynamite); and... a 4th weapon type I haven't experienced yet)
  • Accurate shooting mechanics, and weapons feel really good
  • Duels are freaking awesome, the gameplay mechanics involved are really fun
  • Arcade-y feel. Not much nonsense, you're often put right into the action, with not much in the way of cutscenes or any other storytelling barriers.
Cons:
  • That over-saturated look I've talked about before, it makes it kind of hard to spot enemies. Well maybe that, combined with me probably being a noob at First Person Shooters in general
  • Not much room for exploration. It's fairly "on-rails" (which is not necessarily a bad thing for me, in this particular case). There isn't a wide variety to the maps and in these early missions you're marching straight forward.
  • Not a very deep story so far. You don't even get a lot of exposure to these legendary characters of the Old West

As usual per my posts, I'll leave y'all with some pictures. They're all behind spoiler tags since they're probably pretty big -- I'm playing on a 2560x1440 monitor. Happy gaming y'all, and cheers!

This one helps show the "oversaturation" I talked about:

OoVaBc7.jpg

Introductions to important characters have this "comic" style that is pretty awesome. Here are a couple of the characters I've met so far:

kMzGWma.jpg

AHsw9cI.jpg

AHwd0V2.jpg

(Yes, Clanton does use a Gatling Gun in-game...)

There are also "Nuggets of Wisdom" that tell you the historical aspect of either a person, event, or lifestyle of the Old West:

vlH6x3P.jpg

Hey, for being what I consider "crappy" (for my standards) at First Person Shooters, at least I'm getting a lot of these:

d12hGSL.jpg

Last edited:

VidKid369

Just beat Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) early this morning. Sure was fun!!!! The gameplay mechanics were superb, and I liked the story a lot. It seemed like a pretty short game for an RPG I managed to do the main game + a little bit of the extras and I still clocked in at only 53 hours. Would recommend.

Don't know. What I'm gonna pick up and play next. I'll see.

DelireMan7

Yea, I apologize in advance if I might be making it hard to enjoy it when the time comes.

I don't recall much about FEA even though I've beaten it before long ago, don't really have any negative impressions about it. Lots of charismatic characters that I liked though!
Anyway, if you wanna try more from that genre, then I highly recommend you check out Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS). No need to hurry, this thread is about clearing out your backlog after all.

But when you finally get the time, try to beat DSO at least once. That game does almost everything right: art direction, gameplay, music, story, characters etc. The game will mark you forever in a positive way :)
Overall I liked Fire Emblem Awakening, just battles were extremely long toward the end.

Thanks for the recommendation. I never touch a Shin Megami Tensei game (not even a Persona). While they sound interesting, their dark and gloomy atmosphere never attracted me. But now that I did some research on JRPGs, I think it's inevitable that I try some of them in the future.

BTW, sorry to reply again, just wanted to make sure you didn't get the wrong message from earlier: when I said both games, I meant PXZ 1 & 2, not Radiant Historia.

No problem, I assumed you were speaking of PxZ games only ^^

their dark and gloomy atmosphere never attracted me.
SMT fans are about to sic their Kerberos on you lol. But yea you're right, the series revels in delivering that kind of atmosphere, so it's definitely something to keep in mind.
No problem, I assumed you were speaking of PxZ games only ^^
That's good to know, it's just when I was looking back at it I realized there was room for it to be misunderstood as me saying both PXZ and RH are slogs, so I had to clear it up just in case.

Ascend

Hey guys. I haven't posted in a few weeks... And the reason is simple;
I have not been playing anymore.

For a couple of days after my last post I played some more Pokemon Sword. I spent time in the Wild Area and it was so much fun, that I played pretty much all night on multiple nights xD. It's simply addicting to try and catch Dynamax Pokemon through max Raid battles. It was a bit too much fun that it started messing with my sleep. And as a father of two children, with a wife and a full-time job, that's not exactly healthy. So, I decided to drop the game for a bit until I can keep my gaming sessions under control, by improving my planning.

I just read through the thread, and I think similar to Sidney, I am in a phase of rethinking priorities in life. I'm a bit older though lol (33). For the ones that follow my posts in other threads, I'm quite versed in the crypto world, but I want to diversify within the traditional stock market. I'm literally working on becoming a millionaire and retiring early. I'm currently following an investment course, and I have spent quite a bit of time reading books regarding that subject instead of gaming.

Don't be surprised if the only games you'll see from me this year are Pokemon Sword which I'm already playing, and possibly Mass Effect Legendary Edition. The fact that I'm doubting if I'm going to get the Mass Effect remaster, despite it being my favorite franchise, is quite telling of where I am currently.

This is still one of my favorite threads on the forum, so I will still drop in from time to time to read what others are posting. If I happen to game a bit, I will be sure to update you all.

Jill and Chris escape on the helicopter. Barry died.
LOL, somebody didn't wait for Barry to bring another rope! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just kidding man, that's awesome. What was your favorite part of your playthrough?

Hey guys. I haven't posted in a few weeks... And the reason is simple;
I have not been playing anymore.

For a couple of days after my last post I played some more Pokemon Sword. I spent time in the Wild Area and it was so much fun, that I played pretty much all night on multiple nights xD. It's simply addicting to try and catch Dynamax Pokemon through max Raid battles. It was a bit too much fun that it started messing with my sleep. And as a father of two children, with a wife and a full-time job, that's not exactly healthy. So, I decided to drop the game for a bit until I can keep my gaming sessions under control, by improving my planning.

I just read through the thread, and I think similar to Sidney, I am in a phase of rethinking priorities in life. I'm a bit older though lol (33). For the ones that follow my posts in other threads, I'm quite versed in the crypto world, but I want to diversify within the traditional stock market. I'm literally working on becoming a millionaire and retiring early. I'm currently following an investment course, and I have spent quite a bit of time reading books regarding that subject instead of gaming.

Don't be surprised if the only games you'll see from me this year are Pokemon Sword which I'm already playing, and possibly Mass Effect Legendary Edition. The fact that I'm doubting if I'm going to get the Mass Effect remaster, despite it being my favorite franchise, is quite telling of where I am currently.

This is still one of my favorite threads on the forum, so I will still drop in from time to time to read what others are posting. If I happen to game a bit, I will be sure to update you all.
Hey man, just wanted to say -- this is an awesome post. We're behind you, brother. (Also behind our recently forum-departed mate Sidney Prescott.)

Once I get through my backlog -- that will likely be it for me for playing video games at the rate I am. I mean, make no mistake -- I will always play video games, until the day I die. But, even getting through my backlog now, it's a delicate balancing act, as I have a lot of other hobbies, interests, and life goals. Contrary to my posting patterns on this forum and my backlog madness, video games are actually not at the top of my hobby list. Hell, not even close. But I'm playing games now due to the still ongoing pandemic, since some of my other interests are getting wrecked by the pandemic (you know, can't go to the theatre or to the symphony if everything's closed), but more importantly, the fact that I don't (yet) have a family of my own, especially kids.

Having your family and your life goals -- I'm surprised you found time for video games at all. Regardless, looking forward to your posts, man. Drop by from time to time.

Cheers!

Ryuji Goda

My favourite part was the mansion itself. So much atmosphere and the way its set up with the keys. Felt really metroidvania to me.

One thing I didn't like was that I felt there were too many hunters. I was bleeding shells.

Last edited:

Phase

52games-Stalker-Co-P.png

17. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC) - 19hrs

I was able to finish with no technical issues (phew), and I loved it. One of the best changes for this game was making the areas very large, more open world like. This accentuates the best parts of Stalker for me and it makes me very excited for when Stalker 2 comes knowing it is going to be an open world. Also, the free-play option at the end is a nice touch. This series was a real treat to play and I can't get enough, so I've downloaded and installed a few Stalker standalone mods (Anomaly, Call of Chernobyl, Lost Alpha). Can't wait to plunge into those.

Perrott

Gold Member
Time for an update on my February progress:

(PC) A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build - Feb. 9th
(PC) Diablo 2 - Feb. 11th

And that's it - worst thing is that I keep adding stuff to my "currently playing" list:

(PS3) Batman: Arkham Origins
(PS4) Deadlight: Director's Cut
(PC) Final Fantasy 7
(PC) Highway Blossoms
(PS4) Horizon: Zero Dawn
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PS3) LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
(PS3) Syberia
(PS4) The Sexy Brutale
(PS4) Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

JANUARY
(PS3) Catherine - Jan. 10th
(PS3) Demon's Souls - Jan. 13th
(PS3) Max Payne 3 - Jan. 14th
(PS4) Wreckfest - Jan. 18th
(PS3) Silent Hill - Jan. 19th
(PC) Tangram Deluxe - Jan. 22nd
(PC) Into the Bridge - Jan. 23rd

Phase

Time for an update on my February progress:

(PC) A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build - Feb. 9th
(PC) Diablo 2 - Feb. 11th

And that's it - worst thing is that I keep adding stuff to my "currently playing" list:

(PS3) Batman: Arkham Origins
(PS4) Deadlight: Director's Cut
(PC) Final Fantasy 7
(PC) Highway Blossoms
(PS4) Horizon: Zero Dawn
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PS3) LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
(PS3) Syberia
(PS4) The Sexy Brutale
(PS4) Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

JANUARY
(PS3) Catherine - Jan. 10th
(PS3) Demon's Souls - Jan. 13th
(PS3) Max Payne 3 - Jan. 14th
(PS4) Wreckfest - Jan. 18th
(PS3) Silent Hill - Jan. 19th
(PC) Tangram Deluxe - Jan. 22nd
(PC) Into the Bridge - Jan. 23rd
Had you played D2 before? What did you choose for the playthrough?

Perrott

Gold Member
Had you played D2 before? What did you choose for the playthrough?
This was my first playthrough of Diablo 2 and I choose the 'Barbarian' class and focused on leveling up only the 'Axe Mastery' and 'Iron Skin' skills.

It was rough at times, especially when confronting more than 10 enemies at once or when dealing with bosses such as Duriel, Mephisto and Diablo.

I'm still playing it, now on the second difficulty level, although I've reached a point where I cannot get past a room filled with a bunch skeleton archers (who slow me down with ice arrows) and 15+ melee enemies. I literally cannot stay in that room for more than 3 seconds at most without getting killed.

Last edited:

VidKid369

I know, I feel you. I just prefer playing RPGs that are big, long and epic so about-around 85+ hours is perfect for me and what I prefer! 🙂

Kuranghi

I've put many hours into Ghost of Tsushima, left it on PS4, came back now its on PS5 and I love the exploration, lore, story stuff and world but I'm a bit bored with the combat, does it get any different after you get the <spoiler> stance? I just got that. I'm playing on Hard so the enemies don't die as fast because it felt too easy to kill them on whatever the top difficulty is called.

I wish I had just ignored some of the open world stuff and not scraped the bottom island clean before continued, bit burnt out. I feel like I'm just holding triangle for every enemy, which stance changed. I really want to finish it but I'm just not feeling it, I don't know if I want to put it down for as long as I will if I do. God damn I wish the gamma was fixed in Hitman 3 and Control:UE so I could just finish them and then get back to Control.

Original Post

+1. Current backlog completed count: 11.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. PC version (Steam).

CallofJuarez-cover.jpg

I already discussed a lot of the game in a previous post in this thread. But man, what a fun FPS romp. I loved my time with it, actually. Because I don't feel like digging up the previous post:

Pros:
  • Fun to play
  • Buttery smooth 144fps, practically locked. (Which for a game like this, should be easy; stages are pretty linear and short.)
  • Decently good "framing device" -- your protagonist character is in a Saloon telling his "Forrest Gump" style story and running into a lot of top legends of the Old West. (Except he's obviously not anything like the bumbling Forrest Gump. This guy is a badass.)
  • Weapons are all fun to use and feel very satisfying (aiming, feedback, etc)
  • Locales/levels are surprisingly varied -- they follow a lot of Old West "tropes" and include: a desert stage (during the day), another desert stage (at night), a Western Town (complete with saloon), swamps, mountain stages with Native Americans, a freight railroad train, Mexico, and several more.
  • Duels have a fun and interesting mechanic: you control your "gun hand" position with the left stick, and control your "focus" on your enemy with the right stick. The better your control over your gun hand, the higher your "draw speed" statistic will be; the better your control of the right analog stick is, the higher your "focus" statistic will be. Depending on your enemy, you will need to have fairly high draw speed and focus stats in order to win the duel.
  • A sort of "who's who" of Old Western legends:
    Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, Jesse James (!!!), John Wesley Hardin (yes, the title of a Bob Dylan album and track), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and many more
  • As I mentioned, very arcade-y. In fact, beyond story mode, they straight up have, quite literally, an "Arcade Mode."
  • There's a lot of banter and humor in the dialogue
  • Couple of nice story twists at the end
  • This is a bit spoilery, but: The last duel is... a freakin' Mexican standoff. Pays a lot of homage to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I can't believe how incredibly hype I was for this.
  • Almost perfect game length (for me anyway)
Cons:
  • Weapons are not quite balanced, in my opinion. Once you get the Rifle... yeah, the Rifle is the best. By far.
  • Somewhat related to the above, the enemy layout (at least in Normal mode) is such that your main incentive is to pick them off from a distance. There is close to zero incentive to run up to them and (for example) shotgun them.
  • Like I mentioned before: there is an oversaturation in the graphical style that makes it difficult to be able to see who's shooting at you. But honestly this is mostly a problem in the daytime desert stages, it's much less of a problem in other stages.
  • Story is kind of shallow.
I'm not too experienced with FPS's, but man, I had a great time with this. 8/10. I'll play this a bit more in the next few days to get some more Achievements.

I usually put pictures in my posts, but I realized that I had forgotten to capture screenshots as I played through. I did capture some, but they're all pretty spoilery, so I won't show them here. Maybe on my next playthrough :messenger_tongue:

Next up: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES. That cart is waiting for me...

Last edited:

stn

On Chapter 4 of Bayonetta (PS4), its good! Very fun combat even though the story is weird. I decided to order Bayonetta 2 for the Switch, there were barely any copies available online and it seems to be increasing in price. Feels like its becoming rare.

Next up: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES. That cart is waiting for me...

Nice! I played that for the first time on Switch recently and I was shocked how much I loved it. Way better than oot imo. Actually, it's easily my favorite. Though perhaps the rewind ability helped there to keep it from being annoying!

On Chapter 4 of Bayonetta (PS4), its good! Very fun combat even though the story is weird. I decided to order Bayonetta 2 for the Switch, there were barely any copies available online and it seems to be increasing in price. Feels like its becoming rare.
Did you order Bayo2 based on your enjoyment of Bayo1? That's awesome! I have Bayo1 in my backlog (PC). Keep us posted on your progress!

Nice! I played that for the first time on Switch recently and I was shocked how much I loved it. Way better than oot imo. Actually, it's easily my favorite. Though perhaps the rewind ability helped there to keep it from being annoying!
Hell yea bro. I played Link Between Worlds on 3DS (my first Zelda game ever) and really enjoyed it. When I found out that it's a remake/sequel of sorts to Link to the Past*, I thought "I need to get the cart for Link to the Past, ASAP." So here I am!

* It's a direct sequel, actually. The Japanese names for the games:
A Link to the Past = "Triforce of the Gods"
A Link Between Worlds = "Triforce of the Gods 2"

Oh boy, the Yakuza Kiwami games are really rough after playing Yakuza 0 and 6.

Might have to give up on those.
What!? Noooooooooooooooo

I'm kidding, if the games don't click with you... well, they don't click with you. What don't you like about them?

It's funny you mention "after playing Y0 and Y6".... I mean, Kiwami 1 uses the same system as 0, and Kiwami 2 uses the same system as 6.

Aurelius

What!? Noooooooooooooooo

I'm kidding, if the games don't click with you... well, they don't click with you. What don't you like about them?

It's funny you mention "after playing Y0 and Y6".... I mean, Kiwami 1 uses the same system as 0, and Kiwami 2 uses the same system as 6.
I’ve already played the whole series from Yakuza 0 to 6. Yakuza 1 and 2 I’ve played on the PS2. So storywise I’m not missing anything.

Kiwami feels a bit too much like an HD remaster instead of a proper remake. It looks good (apart from the huge hands on the character models, what’s up with that?) but feels a bit dated. Quests are fetchy, animation a bit stiff.

I will give Kiwami 2 a try, but think I might be done with the Saga of Kiryu Kazuma. Time to move on to Judgment or part 7.

Last edited:
As a Batman fan, I approve of this meme :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But seriously though... you got this! You playing anything right now?
Thanks man. I’ve been mostly trying to catch up with many different PS4 games that I’ve always wanted to play. I actually skipped the PS4 and had a Wii U and a Switch for the longest time. That’s why now with the PS5 I’ve been ironically playing mostly PS4 games 😅.

Good luck catching up with your backlog as well 👍.

Forgot to say. I’m currently in the middle of trying to finish the trails of cold steel games. 4 in total, excluding one that hasn’t come to the US yet.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

My challenge :
No 2021 games . I can buy older games as my backlog is limited to 1 genre and I might want to change genre during the year according to my mood.

Physical Backlog :
  • Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP) Done !
  • The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky (PSP)
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • Odin Sphere (PS2)
  • Baldur's Gate : Siege of Dragonspear (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn (PS4)
  • Baldur's Gate 2 : Throne of Bhaal (PS4)
  • Assassin's Creed IV : Black Flag (PS3)
  • Baten Kaitos : Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (Gamecube) Ongoing !
  • Zelda Ocarina of time (N64)
  • Hollow Knight (PS4) Ongoing !
  • [Replay] Final Fantasy X and X-2 (PS2)
  • [Replay] At least one SoulsBorne (PS3/4)
  • [2021] Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
  • [2021] Project X Zone (3DS)
  • [2021] Radiant Historia : Perfect Chronology (3DS)

Games completed :
1.Rayman Origins (PS3)
(started in Spring 2020, main story finished 5th of January 2021, Land of the Livid dead on 6th of March 2021, coop with my 4 years old daughter, her first video game)
UPDATE : So we continue playing with my daughter and eventually unlock the all the Death teeth and unlock the last world "Land of the Livid Dead" . The first time we attempt it (quickly me alone since it was impossible for my daughter) it took me something like 10 min to succeed the second jump xD After a time my daughther wanted to play another level so I stopped.
Yesterday I made another attempt, with my daughter cheering me up, and I succeeded! I took me some time (around 45 min I think).The level and enemy placement are designed that every jumps has to be perfectly timed.
I was really fun to do. It was almost a rythm game. As I already mentioned, I am not a fan of platforming usually but in this game it's really fun, and especially in this level (I understand why it's you favorite InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo ).Finally the music is awesome (like the whole soundtrack of the game)

2.Lunar : Silver Star Harmony (PSP) (Started 1st of January, finished 17th of January, 25h56m)

Currently playing :
Now 45h in Baten Kaitos. Approaching the end I guess, around 10-15h left I would say. Still really good.

Now around 5h in Hollow Knight. The atmosphere is still perfect and I like the fight against mini bosses and bosses. I have a bit a problem with the platforming, especially if I have to traverse several time the same place (death or dead end). I hope it will not make me quit the game because it's extremely good otherwise.

Games completed :
1.Rayman Origins (PS3)
(started in Spring 2020, main story finished 5th of January 2021, Land of the Livid dead on 6th of March 2021, coop with my 4 years old daughter, her first video game)
UPDATE : So we continue playing with my daughter and eventually unlock the all the Death teeth and unlock the last world "Land of the Livid Dead" . The first time we attempt it (quickly me alone since it was impossible for my daughter) it took me something like 10 min to succeed the second jump xD After a time my daughther wanted to play another level so I stopped.
Yesterday I made another attempt, with my daughter cheering me up, and I succeeded! I took me some time (around 45 min I think).The level and enemy placement are designed that every jumps has to be perfectly timed.
I was really fun to do. It was almost a rythm game. As I already mentioned, I am not a fan of platforming usually but in this game it's really fun, and especially in this level (I understand why it's you favorite InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo ).Finally the music is awesome (like the whole soundtrack of the game)
I can't decide which part of this story is more heartwarming: You beating Land of the Livid Dead, or... your 4-year-old daughter cheering you on in the process.

What the hell I'm I saying, of course the better part of that story is your daughter cheering for you. Amazing.

I've never played any of the Lunar games, but seems they're well regarded?

DelireMan7

I can't decide which part of this story is more heartwarming: You beating Land of the Livid Dead, or... your 4-year-old daughter cheering you on in the process.

What the hell I'm I saying, of course the better part of that story is your daughter cheering for you. Amazing.

I've never played any of the Lunar games, but seems they're well regarded?
Haha. Yes, it was so nice to see her so into it ;)
It was my first Lunar. I heard their reputation and was really excited to play it. But to be honest I am a bit disappointed.
It really classic. Characters, story, setting... nothing stand out. But this is fine with me.
The combat system is what really pissed me off. You input the command then all of them happen in what look like a random order (ally/foes mixed). I was feeling in control of the combat and you lose big part of the strategy inherent to turn based. You're supposed to be able to avoid fight but most of the time the location are extremely small making avoiding encounter really hard.

If you're fine with a really simple/classic RPG you can try it. But it's not something I'd recommend if you look for something unique.

Glad I decided to try out Yakuza Kiwami 2 after giving up on Kiwami 1. With the dragon engine, it’s like a modern game and a proper remake! And somehow, I have forgotten everything about the story so it feels brand new!
Nice! When I played it, and on my very first fight against some thugs in Sotenbori, this shit kicks in:

I knew I was in for a hell of a ride. I was hyped.

Bakkus

I completed Mischief Makers on the Nintendo 64. I liked it. Lots of fun level designs and some amazing boss battles. It is quite flawed in other areas, though. While some levels are really fun, others feel really half assed with gimmick ideas which doesn't work. And the sundtrack is actually...bad. Every boss fight has the same fairly annoying tune, even the final boss. I don't think there are more than 4 tracks being used in total for all 52 levels. Maybe even less than that. It's clear this game was rushed in quite some capacity, and these flaws are transparent for that. I also didn't care for tgose clancers and their storyline. But still, at it's best, it's so freaking good and I recommend everyone to try it out if you have an N64 (never gotten a rerelease :messenger_open_mouth:) because there doesn't exist anything else like it. I felt so great when I finally completed the last boss on world 3 without being hit and grabbed the final gold gem. SHAKE SHAKE.

Now, should I finally play Resident Evil 4?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That is the easy mode version mate.
Best version is the PC version with the texture mod.
Wiimote + hardest difficulties turns it into an arcade gallery shooter that drank too much las plagas. This also applies to the mercenary mode, in which I've probably sunk an equal amount of hours as the (multiple) story mode playthroughs over the years.

I mean, PC is cool too.

That is the easy mode version mate.
Best version is the PC version with the texture mod.

Wiimote + hardest difficulties turns it into an arcade gallery shooter that drank too much las plagas. This also applies to the mercenary mode, in which I've probably sunk an equal amount of hours as the (multiple) story mode playthroughs over the years.

I mean, PC is cool too.

Gentlemen, gentlemen... Wii version or not, I think there's one thing we can (hopefully) agree on: That Resident Evil 4 is a hell of a game, and Bakkus Bakkus should play it at his earliest opportunity.

I go one step above that, and say that Resident Evil 4 is the greatest video game ever made. For not wanting to sound like a broken record, I won't go into the reasons why. I also don't want Bakkus Bakkus going in with overly inflated expectations, and he should just play the game for what it is and decide for himself how great it is. (Or not; it's definitely not for everybody.)

Anyway, on topic: I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Having a great time with it and really, really liking it; there are a couple of minor things that are preventing me from wholesale loving it. Currently at the point where I completed the first dungeon in the Dark World (Dark Palace). I do wonder, my writeup of this game on here may be the longest writeup I would do yet, since I certainly have a lot to say about it; maybe I should just create a (Retro) LTTP thread for it. We'll see.

I like including pictures in my posts, but my god, it's much easier just pressing F8 in retroarch and capturing a screenshot than what I'm doing now with real hardware: pausing the game, taking a picture with my cell phone (and getting all of the TV refresh artifacts along with it), then transfer it to my computer, then crop it, then... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

By the way, I completed a second playthrough of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (this time in Hard Mode; man, what an incredibly fun game) and I may create a whole separate thread for it: As much as I love the feel of the Xbox Controller in my hand, and generally like the analog control scheme, this game was MADE for Keyboard+Mouse. I tried messing around with my (non-gaming) mouse and even then, it was light years better than analog for aiming.

But something that prevents me from going that route is: I simply can't stand the WASD part of the equation. I've even looked (briefly) to see if there are any alternatives, but none are really all that feasible. My dream config would be to have an analog joystick for character movement, and a mouse for aiming (+ everything else; obviously I'd have action buttons and other things mapped to mouse buttons.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom