• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new games in 2020, unfinished backlog only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
End of the Year Edit... The 2021 Pact is below

How did you perform? I made it to Cat Tripping Hero this time around (no new 2020 games). Felt good to disconnect from the New Hotness.

---​

Since the 2019 pact has concluded, it is time to think ahead to 2020. Will you prevail?

7qVX7eG.gif

THE RULES:

No playing games released in 2020
No playing games purchased in 2020
Otherwise, buying games is fine (you collectors and Steam sale junkies out there can keep packing your shelves)

Mini-FAQ:

Do I have to make a list?

No, feel free to add or subtract games to your pile as long as the title does not violate your desired challenge tier.

Can I buy games? What about PS+, GamePass, etc?
Acquiring games is fine. Playing them is not. The challenge is intended to get you playing games you already own. Technically, one could play zero games in 2020 and also fulfill the challenge, but this is a gaming forum so...

What is the minimum number of games I must complete?
There is no minimum. However, there is a 'Clear one (or more) backlog games per month' challenge included. See below.

THE COMPLETELY MEANINGFUL REWARD TIERS:

Cat-Tripping Hero -- No New Games in 2020

O5kkEvc.gif

Your pesky backlog is completely powerless against your discipline (and your salmon)

Realistic Psyduck with some ibuprofen -- 10 backlog games completed per 1 new 2020 game

source.gif

You're not as charming as the genuine article, but this will do.

Evangelical Kanye seeks redemption -- 5 backlog games completed per 1 new 2020 game

source.gif

Ultrabeam out the solar.

⭐ ⭐ AND INTRODUCING FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2020 ⭐⭐

The
ROMhack ROMhack Asked For This In the Previous Thread Award --
One Game From Your Backlog Per Month

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi As a suggestion for next year, may I suggest putting in an award for beating one game from your backlog per month.

sf2nYMH.gif

Any questions? Ask in the thread.

---

Stories from 2019:

Didn’t do bad this year - this thread is probably responsible for my best gaming year in decades. Bought a few things in December and will aim to play 2020 in the same way I played 2019.

Bros i have fell off the wagon...

I mostly played backlog this year.

Yeah I fucked this up bad lol. Maybe next year.

I had to give up my goal of clearing my backlog this year and will resume next year.

I failed this one back in January as I bought RE2. No regrets though as that game was amazing and I played it through completely.

We are being tested.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm in.

Let me make a list...

Death Stranding
Shenmue 3
Virginia
Contrast
Aer Memories
FF IX
Wuppo
Simulacra
Torment: Tides of Numere... something
The Silver Case
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the 2019s
Layers of Fear
What Remains of Edith Finch
Va 11-HALLA
FF X

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice list ROMhack ROMhack . Chipping away at your narrative / adventure backlog I see.

My list of games I wanna tackle in 2020

- Dodonpachi Daioujou
- Diablo 3
- Death Stranding
- Sekiro
- Kingdom Come Deliverance
- Nier Automata
- Hollow Knight
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Everspace
- ESP Ra.de
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Flinthook
- RingFit Adventure
- Siralim 3
- Enter the Gungeon

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think next year is going to be challenging for many people, seeing as the beginning of the year is loaded with all the games that got delayed ,and the end of the year is new consoles. I was thinking of tackling this on a month by month basis or something.

"No playing games released in 2020 " - where does GamePass fall into this?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think next year is going to be challenging for many people, seeing as the beginning of the year is loaded with all the games that got delayed ,and the end of the year is new consoles. I was thinking of tackling this on a month by month basis or something.

"No playing games released in 2020 " - where does GamePass fall into this?
The goal is to play games you already have on your shelf and/or in your digital libraries. If a new 2020 game is included in GamePass, by all means download it.

I think folks who keep up on their PS+ / GamePass subs will have a harder time completing this challenge, which is why I included the other tiers to attempt.

Phase

I'm gonna give this a go. And I'll save money since I can wait to purchase the games coming out in 2020 when they drop in price.

Here's my list. It includes some games I'm replaying (a lot I haven't played since release).

FF7
FF8
Jet Moto 1, 2, 3
MGS 1, 2, 3. 4
Armored Core 1, 2, 3
Oddworld Abe's Odyssey
Jak and Daxter
God of War 1, 2, 3
Pandemonium
Ape Escape
Amid Evil
Dusk
Ico
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Ni No Kuni: WoWW
Jet Grind Radio
Lost Odyssey (360)
Rayman Legends
Juiced 1 or 2
Nox
Sly Cooper series
Dead or Alive 6
Session
Red Eclipse 2
Turok
Max Payne 1, 2
Freespace 2
Jade Empire
Ratchet & Clank ps2/ps4
Hollow Knight
Spyro 1, 2, 3
Dead Space 2
Outward
Uncharted series
Gravity Rush 1, 2
Gran Turismo Sport
Persona 5
Dark Souls fog gate rando
Stalker soc remaster mod
NieR
Diddy Kong Racing
Twisted Metal: Black
Hellblade

ROMhack

Nice list ROMhack ROMhack . Chipping away at your narrative / adventure backlog I see.

My list of games I wanna tackle in 2020

- Dodonpachi Daioujou
- Diablo 3
- Death Stranding
- Sekiro
- Kingdom Come Deliverance
- Nier Automata
- Hollow Knight
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Everspace
- ESP Ra.de
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Flinthook
- RingFit Adventure
- Siralim 3
- Enter the Gungeon

Yeah, they're basically 90% of the games I play with the odd metroidvania thrown in for good balance.

Nice list too. Can't believe you haven't beaten Hollow Knight yet :p

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I pre-ordered Cyberpunk in 2019 (one of a small number of rule-breakages) but otherwise I reckon I'll be good. I allowed myself a few end-of-year purchases and will likely do the same next year on the basis that it is still avoiding impulse purchases.

In terms of what I'd like to clear..

• Baldur's Gate 1/2
  • Planescape Torment
  • Ace Combat 7
  • Postal 2
  • Dragon Quest 11
  • Sekiro
  • Shenmui 1/2
  • Swat 4
  • Space Quest 1-5
  • The Council
  • Beneath A Steel Sky
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Another World
  • Anno 1404 / 1701
  • Bully
  • Dark Souls 1-3
  • Divinity 2
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Else heart.break
  • FEAR
  • Hidden & Dangerous
  • Hitman 2
  • My Summer Car
  • Larry 2 and 3 (did Larry 1 last year)
  • Maniac Mansion
  • Nier Automata
  • Pillars Of Eternity
  • Prey
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Yakuza 0
  • Bayonetta
This mission will however run alongside my sidequest to finally get back to making games again. I used to love doing it as a kid but I've not made anything substantial in 25 years, making stupid excuses. I'm currently using the Christmas break to put some substantial work into wrapping my head around Game Maker Studio so I can begin with some simple 2D stuff and work my way up from there so I may well post a few downloads here for GAF to try out and tell me how shit they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nester99

I am in!

Had a good backlog completion record 2019. With a completed dark souls being my biggest backlog victory.

Personal modifications for this challenge

I am going to include the few games I preordered prior to 2020 as backlog.

Kadayi

Banned
Backlog is too substantive to even contemplate what I may or may not play. However, I have CP2077 on Pre-order and Crusader Kings III is almost certainly happening (assuming it doesn't slip tp 2021). Beyond that I might pick up Death Stranding, Outer Worlds, VTM:B 2 & Half-Life:Alyx, but a lot depends on how my year goes.

Otherwise, it's mainly focussing on clearing a couple of big AAA titles, a lot of smaller ones and trying to resist the urge to replay all the Witcher games again in sequence... 😵

DonF

I tried my hardest this year, but Apex, Death Stranding and RE 2 made me cave.

I try to spend every year less in gaming, but next year is new console year. So I will once again try my backlog and ill save money all year for the new console.

Can I get a tier for breaking even, completing as many backlog games as I do new releases?

2020 is going to kill me. Cyberpunk, FFVII:R, TLOU2, Doom Eternal, Dying Light 2, and Half-Life Alyx are all on the menu and I hardly have time for any of them.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can I get a tier for breaking even, completing as many backlog games as I do new releases?

2020 is going to kill me. Cyberpunk, FFVII:R, TLOU2, Doom Eternal, Dying Light 2, and Half-Life Alyx are all on the menu and I hardly have time for any of them.
No, the Kanye tier is the lowest the challenge goes for completely arbitrary reasons. 1-to-1 backlog vs new isn't much of a challenge.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I lumped it in with the ratio'd tiers.

Besides, I think jshackles jshackles ' thread is probably the better destination for backlog-clearers, if that is your objective. You are welcome to participate in both since their goals are not mutually-exclusive.
I prefer this thread though because
1. jshackles jshackles is scary
2. I actually like the incentive to only buy the bare necessities. I have skipped quite a few games this year because of the challenge, which, in turn, made me value the games I had more and, if I ever get around to playing them, they will be cheap. If I don't then why buy them :). For next year, I plan to only buy two announced games, Ori 2 (which releases at 30€, that's an amazing launch price) and Psychonauts 2. I do not think I even have 20 games in my backlog left though (let's see about that, I will prepare my list after this posting) :D.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Backlog at the beginning of 2020:
Soul Reaver
Sonic Mania Plus
Golden Sun 2
Epic Mickey 2
Sonic Forces (remaining achievements)
Yooka-Laylee Switch
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (remaining TWIT coins)
[Star Tropics, but NES broke, need to repair it. I will only count this game if I manage to repair the NES this year, I hope that's fine]
Celeste
Hollow Knight
Earthworm Jim 3D
Super Mario Maker 2
Team Sonic Racing
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
A Hat in Time
Freedom Planet
Blossom Tales

Planned Purchases 2020:
Ori 2
Psychonauts 2
Spyro Reignited Trilogy (if it hits 10€ or releases on Xbox One complete on disc)
Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuelled
Chameleon Twist 2

Purchases 2020:
Ittle Dew (I have completed the game on Wii U before, but I need this gem physically. I do not even know whether this is relevant to this thing here, because it will not "rejoin" my backlog)

Currently playing:
Golden Sun 2
Earthworm Jim 3D
A Hat in Time

Last edited:

Aurelius

I want to complete:
- Death Stranding
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Resident Evil 2
- Stardew Valley
- Into The Breach
- Return of the Obra Dinn.
- Katana Zero
- Mario + Rabbits

I might fall of the wagon for FFVII and Yakuza 7.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I recently finished 2 plathrough of original Resident Evil Remake and I was thinking replay RE2Remake but I will do that when we get little closer to RE3Remake release. So instead I'm gonna play Yakuza 0, I only played Yakuza 3 and 4 on PS3 I enjoy them but never got the chance to play the other game so I'm gonna start with Yakuza 0.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Put me in the game coach.

Bioshock (first one)
Bioshock: Burial At Sea
Burnout 3
Darkwatch
Dead Space 2
Final Fantasy X-2
God of War 2018
Killzone (first one)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Resident Evil 7
Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
San Andreas
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Splinter Cell (first one)
SSX3
TimeSplitters 2
TimeSplitters 3
Vice City

SpiceRacz

Older Games I want to play this year:
Terranigma
Blade Runner
LoZ: Minish Cap
LoZ: Skyward Sword
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Chrono Cross
Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest Redaction
Shining Force III
Golden Sun

Newer games I picked up recently:
Outer Worlds
Resident Evil 2
Dragons Dogma
Red Dead Redemption 2
Void Bastards

I think I'm set.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Burnout 3
Dead Space 2
Eager to hear your thoughts on these. Two of my all-time favorite games.

Older Games I want to play this year:
Terranigma
Blade Runner
LoZ: Minish Cap
LoZ: Skyward Sword
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Chrono Cross
Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest Redaction
Shining Force III
Golden Sun

Newer games I picked up recently:
Outer Worlds
Resident Evil 2
Dragons Dogma
Red Dead Redemption 2
Void Bastards

I think I'm set.
Nice list! Good selection of JRPGs on there. Are you replaying or are these first-time playthroughs? Really glad to see more people getting into Terranigma these days.

marcincz

The idea is very good, but no new games in 2020? TLoU2, CP2077, next gens, etc.
Maybe we need to do something similar to this thread:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The idea is very good, but no new games in 2020? TLoU2, CP2077, next gens, etc.

FF7 only gonna be part 1, Cyberpunk gonna get patches and DLC just like Witcher 3, Last of Us 2 gonna get updated with multiplayer later and it was pushed back to late May anyways.

Games as a service means you don't miss out on the zeitgeist just because you don't get it day 1 :D

SpiceRacz

Eager to hear your thoughts on these. Two of my all-time favorite games.

Nice list! Good selection of JRPGs on there. Are you replaying or are these first-time playthroughs? Really glad to see more people getting into Terranigma these days.

The only ones I've played are Chrono Cross (maybe 4 or 5 hours) and Castlevania 2. I played Panzer Dragoon Saga a long time ago, but it was only for about 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom