• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 3 Reviews are out!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
That's gonna be a wait for me. I'm interested but the performance looks awful. What are we thinking about the odds of an eventual PC version?
definitely possible, NMH1 and 2 are also on Steam. It could take a while though, so don't expect it to happen this year.

april6e

The review scores are shocking to me. My favorite outlet gave it a 90/100 which is an extremely rare score for them.

There is no way on Earth I'm going to play this in 30fps on a Switch though. I'll wait for a PC version. Anyone know whether the game has any Travis Strikes Back references? That game looked like steaming doo doo so I don't want to play it if I don't have to.

Last edited:
I'm loving it so far, the combat is satisfying, definitely becoming my favorite in the series, only played NMH1 & NMH2, never got to TSA. My only gripe is the open world because it's still janky after the patch but when you're in combat it's a totally different game, maybe it's my eyes but graphics look smoother and better too. Overall it's a great purchase to my Switch collection and I'll definitely put in 20ish hours

The review scores are shocking to me. My favorite outlet gave it a 90/100 which is an extremely rare score for them.

There is no way on Earth I'm going to play this in 30fps on a Switch though. I'll wait for a PC version. Anyone know whether the game has any Travis Strikes Back references? That game looked like steaming doo doo so I don't want to play it if I don't have to.
It's 60fps when you fight and encounter bosses, it's only 30fps in the openworld which is basically a hub. I think it's worth it, even on the Switch, put in 3hrs and loving it so far

TwiztidElf

As someone who thinks the Switch is one of the greatest consoles ever made it saddens me to come to the realization that its technical limitations are really starting to hamstring it badly now.
Every multi platform game that comes along that is also on the Switch, I think to myself "I'll get the Switch version if its ok", and more often than not, I'm getting other versions now.
I'd really like to get Sonic Colors on the Switch, but at this point, I strongly expect I'll be getting the PS4 version.
Fingers crossed that SMTV doesn't suffer too much.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I'll add a few video reviews to the mix:

(9/10)

(8/10)

(8/10)

(8/10)

(8/10)

(7.5/10)

(6/10)

(Unrated)

HotPocket69

Banned
DSN3yDL.jpg

Diversity

A juggernaut of mass destruction 😂

Fuck I love Suda. Bless.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Yes, but the unstable framerate is mostly in the overworld, not at the action set pieces, not during combat, not during boss fights, not during cutscenes and I see those as the meat and bones of the game. And yes, even poor performance can be overlooked when the game behind it is enjoyable enough. There are plenty examples of this, especially during the 360/PS3 gen where a lot of games had inconsistent framerates, including big AAA titles.

The bolded part is a little weird. Like sure, I can look at Big Rigs and say that it is a bad game without even playing it and that opinion most likely won't change even if I did play it. But Big Rigs is a game that is completely broken, something you can even see by watching a video of it. NMH3 isn't broken and what makes the series enjoyable is the unorthodox style, interesting set pieces, characters, soundtrack, boss battles etc. etc., and those are hard to grasp when not playing/experiencing it, especially at such a detail.

btw. IGN are the same people that gave God Hand a 3 and Gamespot gave DKC: TF a 6.

Maybe the game will receive a PC port with more consistent framerate or patches the improve the issue.
and gs gave killer is dead a 5 . 0 its a 7 or 8 for me do not give ign or gs the time of day

rkofan87

Gold Member
Yes, but the unstable framerate is mostly in the overworld, not at the action set pieces, not during combat, not during boss fights, not during cutscenes and I see those as the meat and bones of the game. And yes, even poor performance can be overlooked when the game behind it is enjoyable enough. There are plenty examples of this, especially during the 360/PS3 gen where a lot of games had inconsistent framerates, including big AAA titles.

The bolded part is a little weird. Like sure, I can look at Big Rigs and say that it is a bad game without even playing it and that opinion most likely won't change even if I did play it. But Big Rigs is a game that is completely broken, something you can even see by watching a video of it. NMH3 isn't broken and what makes the series enjoyable is the unorthodox style, interesting set pieces, characters, soundtrack, boss battles etc. etc., and those are hard to grasp when not playing/experiencing it, especially at such a detail.

btw. IGN are the same people that gave God Hand a 3 and Gamespot gave DKC: TF a 6.

Maybe the game will receive a PC port with more consistent framerate or patches the improve the issue.
and gs gave killer is dead a 5 . 0 its a 7 or 8 for me do not give ign or gs the time of day
On the bolded: dude that was years ago. Different reviewers.

And yes of course frame rate dips here and there can be accepted in quality games. As well as a fee hitches in certain levels. We all accepted the Korak forest in Breath of the Wild.

But this is the overworld we're talking about. You are going to be spending a lot of time there.. if it's anything like the first Wii game anyway.

Look it believe the reviews you want to believe. I'm just saying bad performance on this level shouldn't be accepted. Even Doom Eternal on the Switch managed a solid 30 most of the time and that wasn't created for the ground up for the Switch.

This was a game specifically created for the Switch from the ground up and they couldn't do it?

To me it this needed at least 6 more months in the oven to fix these issues.

Just because its quirky and Japanese shouldn't excuse it from performance issues.
fr is not everything my come on

Reactions: Isa

Corgi1985

Banned
As someone who thinks the Switch is one of the greatest consoles ever made it saddens me to come to the realization that its technical limitations are really starting to hamstring it badly now.
Every multi platform game that comes along that is also on the Switch, I think to myself "I'll get the Switch version if its ok", and more often than not, I'm getting other versions now.
I'd really like to get Sonic Colors on the Switch, but at this point, I strongly expect I'll be getting the PS4 version.
Fingers crossed that SMTV doesn't suffer too much.
Lol the system was weak as hell at release. Now its woefully outdated and overpriced. Of course NMH3 runs badly it's a 3rd party game on a system that struggles to run pokemon sword.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So it's "only" 30fps for MOST OF THE GAME?
Read again:

"It's 60fps when you fight and encounter bosses"
which is the meat and bones of the game, the main part of the game, while
the open world "is basically a hub",
meaning it serves as a way to start missions, side activities etc.
You don't spend as much time in the open world as you think you do. It's not really that essential. This isn't GTA.

So it's "only" 30fps for MOST OF THE GAME?
No, just in the open world like a hub, everything else is literally 60fps, even the menus. If you paid attention to what I said. The open world isn't grand like GTA, just gives you places to do chores, you'll spend most of your time fighting aliens in designated matches and Ranked bosses in 60fps.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Ok I noticed something very interesting recently. I was watching a tech analysis of NMH1 on Switch.

The overworld always seemed very rough to me (in terms of framerate). But check this out:

It's not only a high framerate, but it's relatively stable.

Why does it feel like shit then? I always thought it was a low framerate but it doesn't seem to be! Is it some sort of roughness with the camera movement? Or the way textures load or the animation? I don't know, but it's made me realise the problem may not necessarily be framerate. There is something weird with the way the engine works.

I'd like to see a framerate test on NMH3 cause I suspect it's the same issue - it could very well be a locked 30fps but there's a visual illusion making it seem rougher than it is.

EDIT: maybe it's doing a Halo 5 where the game renders at X frames, but background elements render at Y frames?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Seriously folks you don't have to spend long in the open world unless you're hunting optional collectibles. It was better in NMH2 where you were literally selecting from a menu but you also don't get yeeted back to the motel if you fail a mission/sidejob now as was the case in NMH1? Been a long time but I think that was a pain point.

The loop is this:
Open world travel to the area with qualifier missions (~30fps)
-> enter those and get teleported to an arena (60fps)
-> if you don't have enough money after those, travel through open world to sidejobs (?fps - I wasn't paying attention there - none of the jobs were adversely affected by framerate)
-> Pay the fee at an atm (~30fps)
-> Travel from motel to boss fight marker (~30fps)
-> Murder the boss (60fps)
Repeat.
There are cutscenes interspersed in there. They're 60fps too.
You can fast travel to areas that you've been to already.
So yes, 60 where it actually matters.

I'm enjoying it. Undoubtedly flawed game like the rest but one of my worries has been dealt with:
I don't like some of the ranked aliens. The design and such - some of them just seem uninspired & shit. Thankfully I haven't fought a boss alien for a few rank battles... and the remaining stack look like they'll be fun.

If you're not coming for the weirdness (story, characters), 4th wall breaks and the combat you probably aren't going to enjoy the game.
I haven't finished it yet - taking my time - my general opinion may change by the end based on some of the reviews but until then 🤷‍♂️
Soundtrack slaps too :messenger_ok:

Ok I noticed something very interesting recently. I was watching a tech analysis of NMH1 on Switch.

The overworld always seemed very rough to me (in terms of framerate). But check this out:

It's not only a high framerate, but it's relatively stable.

Why does it feel like shit then? I always thought it was a low framerate but it doesn't seem to be! Is it some sort of roughness with the camera movement? Or the way textures load or the animation? I don't know, but it's made me realise the problem may not necessarily be framerate. There is something weird with the way the engine works.

I'd like to see a framerate test on NMH3 cause I suspect it's the same issue - it could very well be a locked 30fps but there's a visual illusion making it seem rougher than it is.

EDIT: maybe it's doing a Halo 5 where the game renders at X frames, but background elements render at Y frames?

It was realllly choppy on the Wii - but you're talking Switch? Frame pacing perhaps with it under vsync rate, input lag from the port... or just how that damn bike handled?
Bike & background seem to be updating at the same time from a quick frame step on the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

jigglet

Banned
It was realllly choppy on the Wii - but you're talking Switch? Frame pacing perhaps with it under vsync rate, input lag from the port... or just how that damn bike handled?
Bike & background seem to be updating at the same time from a quick frame step on the video.

Yes that's the Switch port in the video hence the 60fps. It could be frame pacing yeah. I doubt it's input lag, that's not going to contribute to it feeling choppy. All I know is that video surprised me with how seemingly high the frames are a lot of the time.

kunonabi

So far the combat is VASTLY better than the 2nd game, it feels much better pulling off perfect dodge and bosses much more creative rather annoying like in 2nd game.
It still confuses me that NMH2 ended up having worse combat than the first one. I hated how you could just break any enemy guard with mashing instead of having to switch stances/kick. Adding so many more enemies with guns without really giving Travis more options to deal with them wasn't a great idea either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It still confuses me that NMH2 ended up having worse combat than the first one. I hated how you could just break any enemy guard with mashing instead of having to switch stances/kick. Adding so many more enemies with guns without really giving Travis more options to deal with them wasn't a great idea either.
Yeah I agree, the combat in 2nd game became vey button mashy without ever needing using the perfect dodge.

Read again:

"It's 60fps when you fight and encounter bosses"
which is the meat and bones of the game, the main part of the game, while
the open world "is basically a hub",
meaning it serves as a way to start missions, side activities etc.
You don't spend as much time in the open world as you think you do. It's not really that essential. This isn't GTA.
But it's not consistent 60 in any other area but the bosses, is what you're saying?

No, just in the open world like a hub, everything else is literally 60fps, even the menus. If you paid attention to what I said. The open world isn't grand like GTA, just gives you places to do chores, you'll spend most of your time fighting aliens in designated matches and Ranked bosses in 60fps.
What you said only brought up 60fps for the bosses. You should have mentioned the other parts of the game, even "the menus" were 60fps.

CitizenZ

Banned
Wow, that's 2 games in less than a week that is going to brutally fail in sales because they are extremely over priced. But you do you, have fun.

But it's not consistent 60 in any other area but the bosses, is what you're saying?

What you said only brought up 60fps for the bosses. You should have mentioned the other parts of the game, even "the menus" were 60fps.
Are you dense? I'm literally saying the game is a smooth 60fps experience except for the open world and chores. What aren't you getting?! Jesus, am I talking to a troll, child or both?

PhoenixTank

The big difference I noticed between the two was that the light takes up a lot of battery, so I usually did heavy attacks to save on battery. Made a big difference when I got to 1/4 battery left.
Yeah seems to be the same energy taken per hit regardless of strength.

Great game; but any tips on when you should use Heavy attacks as opposed to the standard light attack?
Heavy tends to have wider swings so is also more likely to hit/stagger nearby enemies. Really depends on how big the opening is otherwise.
Worth keeping an eye on the Tension Gauge in the bottom left too. I don't think it ever gets explained but that is apparently responsible for how long/complex the combos can be.

Despite the abrupt ending, janky open world, sometimes laggy cutscenes, etc.

This game is a 9/10, just beat it last night! I LOVED it! I hope we get a character driven DLC with more playable characters like TSA.

FU is my favorite villain of 2021 for sure. The build up to fight him was worth it! Dope soundtrack, amazing character design, great combat, cool collectables.

I know this is a Suda51 game and it will be appreciated years later not now in 2021. But in my opinion this is a GOTY contender. This is easily a top 10 Switch Exclusive and proves you don't need ray tracing or 4K graphics to deliver an amazing game!

Only beat the first boss. I’m taking my time with the game, started last night. Gameplay is super smooth 60fps, graphics look great, love the Travis strikes again abilities. The Prince is brutal.

Can’t wait to get through a couple bosses tonight. It feels so good that I felt a little emotional ngl I am so glad this game exists.

Buggy Loop

I don't think the open world segments run terribly because it's Switch.

It's pretty much a staple of Suda gaming.

For sure their programming for open world is lacking, but hopefully PC will just brute force it’s way to 60 fps (while 500+ fps for the rest of the game 🤣)

Danjin44

I’m having so much fun with this game, the combat so much improved from first two games and bosses are so unique and entertaining l, I especially liked Velvet Chair Girl boss.

Mohonky

The combat is so far improved from the first two. I'm really enjoying this game alot Ranked 7 atm.

I just wish the open world stuff wasnt quite so janky. Otherwise, a big improvement over 1 and 2.

Dev1lXYZ

Replaying the first game on Switch right now. I never finished it on the Wii back in the day. It’s fun as hell. I’m going to go through each game in order. I know 2 was just overseen by Suda51 and the comments here down it…should I skip it and go to TSA and then 3, or is it worth playing for the storyline, etc?

Danjin44

Replaying the first game on Switch right now. I never finished it on the Wii back in the day. It’s fun as hell. I’m going to go through each game in order. I know 2 was just overseen by Suda51 and the comments here down it…should I skip it and go to TSA and then 3, or is it worth playing for the storyline, etc?
For me 2nd game is my least favourite NMH game but I would still say it’s worth playing once. I currently consider the 3rd game to be best in the series.

Last edited:
Im playing part 1 now as well. Game is simple but I'm genuinely enjoying it.

Top Bottom