• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 3 New Open World Gameplay - (why would they show this?)

I played NMH 1 not long ago as I had always been curious.
Found it pretty fucking bad, but I could see hints of something good and was hoping 3 would be like a way more polished version of the concept.

Doesn't look like that will be the case.
Suda 51's games have always been style over substance.

kiphalfton

Am i watching a different video?

It looks like dog shit

Looks like you haven't drank tha koolaid yet

You’re not wrong.

They make awful games across the board, but for some reason folk seem to think Suda is some maverick that deserves a pass because reasons and stuff.

Exactly. I think people like it for the off the wall zany nonsense, but they're crap games. Shadows of the Damned is the "best" and even it isn't that great. Lollipop Chainsaw, Killer is Dead, etc. are all games that nobody remembers and thr type of game that would shut any other dev down.

Jeeves

I can't deny that the graphics are a lot worse than I expected. However, it looks basically identical to the Wii game which I still play and enjoy, so it's not a big deal to me. I just need to see if it delivers on everything else.

Corgi1985

Banned

I mean, I doubt xPeter's Archive is an official NMH channel, but he seems to carry a lot of footage from the game. This just looks...well...

The pop-in, the empty worlds, the 15 FPS.

What say you, GAF?

It's a switch game why would anyone expect more from a system powered by a dorito chip for $350?

Last edited:
Once again, gaffers wouldn't know a good game if it jumped up their ass and exploded. The suda trashing is just a new low.

Not saying it doesn't look rough here, but the open world is not even a main part of the game. It's just what gets you to the missions. Yes, it could use more polish.

I will buy the game, because the first nMh is one of my all time favorite wii games, and the 2nd is awesome as well. I even liked travis strikes again ; the character and personality in these games is great. And they're just pure fun.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The suda trashing is just a new low.
Suda is legit one of the most creative guys in the industry. His games may not win prices for being the most prolific gameplay experiences, but they absolutely work and don't deserve all that shit. On the flip side his games have unique styles, cool stories, enjoyable characters, amazing music. I rather play a unique but flawed experience instead of a super polished generic snore fest.

Mato

Yes, it looks junky but interesting nonetheless. That weird Akira bike and the big blue summer sky carry a lot of flavor. I've never played a NMH game but this is on my radar now.

SCB3

Once again, gaffers wouldn't know a good game if it jumped up their ass and exploded. The suda trashing is just a new low.

Not saying it doesn't look rough here, but the open world is not even a main part of the game. It's just what gets you to the missions. Yes, it could use more polish.

I will buy the game, because the first nMh is one of my all time favorite wii games, and the 2nd is awesome as well. I even liked travis strikes again ; the character and personality in these games is great. And they're just pure fun.
For me its not the Story telling, I genuinely enjoyed NMH 1 and 2 but I kinda wish they had better gameplay to convey them

Suda is legit one of the most creative guys in the industry. His games may not win prices for being the most prolific gameplay experiences, but they absolutely work and don't deserve all that shit. On the flip side his games have unique styles, cool stories, enjoyable characters, amazing music. I rather play a unique but flawed experience instead of a super polished generic snore fest.
I don't like all of his stuff, but at least it's creative every time. No more heroes is his best work. For me, the third game is a massively hyped switch release, esp. since Nintendo themselves are very dry atm.

For me its not the Story telling, I genuinely enjoyed NMH 1 and 2 but I kinda wish they had better gameplay to convey them
It's the music as well that is great, but the gameplay has always been solid and most of all just entertaining. Not every game needs to be devil may cry. Hell, I don't want every game to be DMC, because sometimes I just want to kick back.

Anyways, hope everyone that gets it enjoys it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who doesn't play games for 10 hours a week at minimum shouldn't be allowed at this forum.

If you don't play games on consoles and the PC both, you have no idea about videogames and your opinion is useless.
What if you have kids or other important priorities?

Time is limited and often you simply don't have the time to play 10 hours per week or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corgi1985

Banned
We're in 2021 and we still have people convinced that graphics = gameplay.

I'll take serviceable graphics with excellent gameplay over brilliant graphics and ho hum gameplay any day of the week...
Except with the switch it's usually hohum gameplay and bad graphics at 15 fps

radewagon

No More Heroes has always looked, performed, and played with a fair amount of jank. The games are janky. Part III seems like it will carry on with said rich tradition.

Come to think of it... Suda games, on the whole, are kind of janky. Which is fine. It's part of the charm. Like a Ralph Bakshi film.

V4skunk

Banned

I mean, I doubt xPeter's Archive is an official NMH channel, but he seems to carry a lot of footage from the game. This just looks...well...

The pop-in, the empty worlds, the 15 FPS.

What say you, GAF?

In handheld mode it might get 30fps at 240-360p resolution.

Not every game can have literally thousands of people doing technical work on it. TLOU2 wouldn't look the same if Suda and his team of *Googles* 20 had worked on it by themselves.

It's a B-game that knows it made with a lot love by an auteur and his small team. I'm cool with it as long as it is playable. Add on another 1000+ people and 60 FPs 4k photorealism becomed more of a requirement, but it is what it is.

mortal

Gold Member
Not every game can have literally thousands of people doing technical work on it. TLOU2 wouldn't look the same if Suda and his team of *Googles* 20 had worked on it by themselves.

It's a B-game that knows it made with a lot love by an auteur and his small team. I'm cool with it as long as it is playable. Add on another 1000+ people and 60 FPs 4k photorealism becomed more of a requirement, but it is what it is.
Folks aren't asking for PS5 level visuals here. I'm sure most of us just want it to not look like shit while running at sub 20 fps with severe pop-in lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Folks aren't asking for PS5 level visuals here. I'm sure most of us just want it to not look like shit while running at sub 20 fps with severe pop-in lol
NMH series are not AAA games, they very niche and they don't sell as much as other games even compare to other niche games. Suda's game are no technical marvel but his game gives me very unique experience which is why I'm willing to forgive its technical flaws.

In my opinion they should have used the engine Platinum Games used for Astral Chain, because UE just doesn't plays well with Switch.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
NMH series are not AAA games, they very niche and they don't sell as much as other games even compare to other niche games. Suda's game are no technical marvel but his game gives me very unique experience which is why I'm willing to forgive its technical flaws.
A game doesn't need to have a AAA budget to not run like shit. A game being relatively niche is not an excuse for it to run like shit. Come on man.
Every game has its flaws, so that goes without saying. These days there is no shortage of small indie developers who put out great looking games that run great, even optimized for less powerful hardware.
I'm sorry but this is inexcusable especially for a game designer as experienced as Suda 51.

Last edited:

Danjin44

A game doesn't need to have a AAA budget to not run like shit. A game being relatively niche is not an excuse for it to run like shit. Come on man.
Every game has its flaws, so that goes without saying. These days there is no shortage of small indie developers who put out great looking games that run great, even optimized for less powerful hardware.
I'm sorry but this is inexcusable especially for a game designer as experienced as Suda 51.
I can say the same about CPR who not only have experience but also have bigger budget and bigger team and working with stronger system but still end up releasing broken game, same with Bethesda.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I can say the same about CPR who not only have experience but also have bigger budget and bigger team and working with stronger system but still end up releasing broken game, same with Bethesda.
Which is my point essentially. You brought up AAA budget game as a point of comparison.
AAA budget games aren't exempt. This is why Bethesda (on multiple occasions) and most recently CDPR have received criticism and backlash whenever their games have poor performance and subpar fidelity, the latter being more forgivable than the former.

Danjin44

Which is my point essentially. You brought up AAA budget game as a point of comparison.
AAA budget games aren't exempt. This is why Bethesda (on multiple occasions) and most recently CDPR have received criticism and backlash whenever their games have poor performance and subpar fidelity, the latter being more forgivable than the former.
And yet there are people enjoyed CP2077 despite its technical flaws, its up to you to decide if you can enjoy the game despite its flaws.

mortal

Gold Member
And yet there are people enjoyed CP2077 despite its technical flaws, its up to you to decide if you can enjoy the game despite its flaws.
There are exceptions to everything. Videos Games are a marriage of art & technology.
There is a reason why 30fps is an industry-standard as the baseline expectation for performance. Dipping below leads to increased latency, which negatively impacts the quality of the gameplay.
It's also why improved visual fidelity is a continuous pursuit with every generation. Good visual fidelity complements the visual presentation of the game. Hence video games.

Honestly, it really is a shame because the issues plaquing NMH3 only serve to drag down an otherwise nice art direction and game world.

Last edited:

Danjin44

There are exceptions to everything. Videos Games are a marriage of art & technology.
There is a reason why 30fps is an industry-standard as the baseline expectation for performance. Dipping below leads to increased latency, which negatively impacts the quality of the gameplay.
It's also why improved visual fidelity is a continuous pursuit with every generation. Good visual fidelity complements the visual presentation of the game. Hence video games.

Honestly, it really is a shame because the issues plaquing NMH3 only serve to drag down an otherwise nice art direction and game world.
I personally I enjoyed Suda games even with technical short comings, so I’m willing to give NMHIII a chance.

OrionNebula

I think it’s pretty cool of them to show us what the game looked like when they reached landmark month 3 into development 🙂

april6e

I feel like many of you never have played a No More Heroes game. The graphics have always been really bad in the franchise.

The series has always been about the characters, engaging dialogue and the boss fights. Everything else is just in-between fluff to get to these things. I'm not claiming that the game will be good because it feels like the series has lost the mojo that made the first game so great. But the graphics are the least of my concerns.

mortal

Gold Member
No I understand, his games is niche for good reason. You either like he makes or you don’t.
I like Suda and Grasshopper Manufacture games believe it or not lol. I'm only arguing that being niche and having good performance aren't mutually exclusive.
How well a game runs isn't based on how relatively popular it is. That would be silly, no?

Last edited:

Danjin44

How well a game runs isn't based on how relatively popular it is. That would be silly, no?
One Suda’s games will always graphically rough and second they decided to use UE which switch has hard time ruining games on that system and that’s what seeing here.

The reason I willing forgive it’s technical short coming because I LOVE the original game and 3rd game looks like going with same structure which I’m very happy.

mortal

Gold Member
and second they decided to use UE which switch has hard time ruining games on that system and that’s what seeing here.
That's what I'm seeing as well. I doubt any of these are intentional creative decisions made by Suda and his team. There are some technical struggles within the production leading to this result.
I appreciate their games as well, but this seems to be below what Suda and his team are capable of developing.

Suda's past games ran well and took advantage of past limited hardware, often with very tasteful presentation and intentional use of framing to accommodate said limitations.
The 'making do with very little' design philosophy is very apparent in past titles; which is why this is all the more egregious.

Although you already have expressed that you're more forgiving than I am lol. I understand where you're coming from though.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the first game on Wii, but I got bored with it. It has cool characters and cool plot. I just didn’t get addicted to it. While I’ve played other games from Suda51. I’m never blown away by them. It’s like they have the mindset for an awesome game with cool vehicles, characters, and etc. The rest is just so-so. I’m even hesitant to say this because Shadows of the Damned was great and his style is cool.No More Heroes is cool, but it’s something I wouldn’t feel bad for missing. That bike looked great and everything.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
That's fair, but who knows how this will end up. NMH1 also had poor framerate and technical shortcomings during the open world, but performed much better during the action set pieces, which is the meat of the game. I guess this will fare very similar.

Maybe there will be a PC version down the line fixing most of technical issues. I will definitely get it as Suda games are unique and enjoyable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The graphics have always been really bad in the franchise.
giphy.gif

jigglet

Banned
This is Suda. I don't think a lot of you realise that even with $100m his games would probably look the same. lol

Impotaku

That's fair, but who knows how this will end up. NMH1 also had poor framerate and technical shortcomings during the open world, but performed much better during the action set pieces, which is the meat of the game. I guess this will fare very similar.

Maybe there will be a PC version down the line fixing most of technical issues. I will definitely get it as Suda games are unique and enjoyable.
The remake on switch for NMH1 at least got bumped upto 60fps there's a comparison vid on youtube of it running against the PS3 version. The PS3 version had more colourful textures but had blurring along with crap framerate & tearing the switch remake used more muted textures.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The remake on switch for NMH1 at least got bumped upto 60fps there's a comparison vid on youtube of it running against the PS3 version. The PS3 version had more colourful textures but had blurring along with crap framerate & tearing the switch remake used more muted textures.

Some objects and elements look better on the PS3, but for the most part I think the Switch version underlines the art direction better. It's also much crisper on Switch and 60 FPS is always nice.

Impotaku

Yeah some do look nicer on ps3, but i like it without the blur or tearing though so it can really shine. Not sure if 2 got the same treatment, does make me laugh that the narrative on gaf at the moment is switch is incapable of 60fps.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah some do look nicer on ps3, but i like it without the blur or tearing though so it can really shine. Not sure if 2 got the same treatment, does make me laugh that the narrative on gaf at the moment is switch is incapable of 60fps.
I mean to be fair it's still a Wii game, shouldn't be too hard to make it 60 FPS. Still there are also recent games on Switch that run at 60 FPS:
Mortal Kombat 11, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Fast RMX...

Usually 60 FPS games are by Nintendo or smaller titles and indies that aren't that taxing. It's something you have to live with I guess. It depends on the game and developer.
Obviously it can do 60 FPS. Almost any console can do 60 FPS theoretically.

Top Bottom