• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky Beyond, Out Now! (Update Notes)

Romulus

My Rift S came yesterday, a purchase fuelled by this game and I’ve no regrets whatsoever. It really does need to be played to understand how awesome it is. Picked up the game half price from Steam too - gutted to leave my Xbox save behind but this shit is worth starting a new game for.

The world feels fucking huge! Aiming the manipulator is so natural and the creatures that tower over you really do appear massive.

Some of these experiences have near brought me to tears - combining both the game AND the tech of my 80s childhood dreams. So damn happy I went for it 😭

Yeah the vastness of it is what people can't understand unless they try it in VR. It's a perfect fit. I feel like this game will push alot of headsets.

Tumle

It just weird that once yoy left some place you wont get any marking where youv been so you could visit that again maybe. Like those old ruins i left there and now i circle around and cant find that place anymore. Why could it be still markings on map from those? And scanner inside ship does nothing at all .
You can creat a marker I think..?

HD St.

Neo Member
It just weird that once yoy left some place you wont get any marking where youv been so you could visit that again maybe. Like those old ruins i left there and now i circle around and cant find that place anymore. Why could it be still markings on map from those? And scanner inside ship does nothing at all .

Same issue I had. I wanted to go back and finish the excavation but I couldn't locate it. Next time I come across one I'm going to setup a base or something.

Romulus

I keep getting this weird intimidating feel next to large objects in VR. I was flying by a freighter this morning and I just couldn't get over the size of it. My mind was having trouble processing it. Then, the planet behind it really flipped me out.
This is the same save I have in non-VR and it's just completely fucking different. I've seen all this shit hundreds of times without batting an eye. I can't get over over it, even blurry its phenomenal. Glad I lived to see this.

Wonko_C

Anyone knows how to change the size of the terrain manipulator with the Move controllers? I have only been able to do it with the terrain creation mode but not with the terrain destruction mode.

Having the smallest size is essential for mining ore deposits.

scalman

yes you can put markers on things. but if you not thinking of that before then you loosing it later and thats it . one way maybe is to go trough all locations via signal booster and look for it . it could show like history at least of your places you visited on map or something.
anyone using oculus rift with gtx 1060 here ? wonder if i would buy oculus to my gtx 1060 laptop what image quality i would get . or then try PSVR on ps4 pro, but people saying its very low res and blurry there. its cheaper VR sure if look for used one.
and base is kinda not needed as i want mostly explore places so coem back to same place is not good idea for me. so maybe i wont be inventing in base building more. maybe just some building and teleporter for short period of time until i explore that one planet.

Last edited:

HD St.

Neo Member
If there is ONE thing I could get them to add it would be some kind of waypoint chart for locations already discovered or visited.

Romulus

yes you can put markers on things. but if you not thinking of that before then you loosing it later and thats it . one way maybe is to go trough all locations via signal booster and look for it . it could show like history at least of your places you visited on map or something.
anyone using oculus rift with gtx 1060 here ? wonder if i would buy oculus to my gtx 1060 laptop what image quality i would get . or then try PSVR on ps4 pro, but people saying its very low res and blurry there. its cheaper VR sure if look for used one.
and base is kinda not needed as i want mostly explore places so coem back to same place is not good idea for me. so maybe i wont be inventing in base building more. maybe just some building and teleporter for short period of time until i explore that one planet.

I would guess PS4 Pro will get a patch. Could be weeks though. There's just no reason why a GPU with 2x the power should be the same resolution as the OG PS4. Makes no sense. Even the performance gains are super small, and that's probably just the cpu clock increase.

Skyrim went from a blurry mess to respectable on PS4 Pro after the last patch.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
If there is ONE thing I could get them to add it would be some kind of waypoint chart for locations already discovered or visited.

Yeah, it's always been an issue. Getting referred back to Ruins or Crash sites you've been too before can be pretty frustrating. I'm not sure the game necessarily has the ability to remember all of that unfortunately , but it would be nice if it did.

I've been meaning to post for a few days I picked up No Man's Sky used from a local games store a couple months ago just as the PSVR update was announced. I went in the day before the update and played for the first time and got my ship in working order, figured out the mining and survival aspects of the game and waited for the VR update to live before I took off and started exploring... what a place to really start the game from, not realizing the sheer endless galaxy of planets that awaited. Entering and leaving a planets atmosphere's in VR was like the biggest treat.

A several generous hours later in VR I discovered a new planet that looked like Saturn and was both freezing cold at -57c and a water based planet with a huge world of life underneath the planets surface... I'm hooked! It is blurry vs something like Blood & Truth in psvr or RE7 and I'm hoping there will eventually be a PS4 Pro patch but lets just celebrate the miracle that Hello Games, (a relatively small dev team from what I hear) pulled this all off. This by far is the most ambitious thing I've ever seen done with PSVR so far.

The planet I discovered wasn't very optimal for setting up a base as I contended with the usual radiation, life support but also freezing temperatures. I ended up finding a planet pretty close by and built a base on top of one of the biggest mountains, overlooking the Saturn like planet I discovered and not to far from a trading post just down the hill. I named my base 'The Overlook Outpost' and had a blast building in and tunneling below into the mountain, creating paths below my base, to the base computer and exits out of the mountain which is all accessible through the floor of my base.

I'm up to a point where my base is using alot of power and I need to create blue prints for a generator, I'm out of salvage data though and need to find more? Any tips? and if I leave the planet will I ever find my base again? haha

Kadayi

Banned
I'm up to a point where my base is using alot of power and I need to create blue prints for a generator, I'm out of salvage data though and need to find more? Any tips? and if I leave the planet will I ever find my base again? haha

Your base should always show up in system as a destination. Though you want to build a teleporter once you have power. That way you can get back anytime.

Last edited:

scalman

Yes its allways marker as base on that planet but then you can put marker yourself too as i did accidently in base so i have 2 markers on base now second shows its like blue house and base marker its white.
Not sure though how i put that marker what i pushed on controller.
And teleporter uses so much energy so only way is to put solar panels and battery for it.

Put one mod on pc for letting me stack those data stuff in one slot not spread them by 5 , why would this neccesarry if i have them like 30 allready imagine how much inventory space they would take.
I wish that digging metals would give toy more amount from one place like why just 300 or so cooper from one place why not more. I would use mod to make those larger amount. And that grass allways growing just in short distance so when you run and jump fast you outrun grass generation thats not cool i saw there is mod to fix that too.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I played around half an hour in VR on my PS4Pro, but had to stop due to the resolution. It’s just too blurry. Coming from Skyrim, which is rather nice on the PS4Pro, this just doesn’t hold up. With the added horse power of the Pro, this level of pixelation just doesn’t cut it.
With that negativity said, the actual experience was pretty magical. The on-planet stuff was good, but it was flying in space that really made me say wow! If they can get the resolution up to par, I’ll be sinking a lot of time into this in VR. Until then, I’ll just enjoy it on my TV.

Stitch

Gold Member
Weird that they've updated the game several times already but still haven't been able to put it in direct mode for VR. I thought it would be easy to fix but I guess not. I also thought there would be full finger tracking for the knuckles when Index support was promised but you can just open and close your hands. So pretty much like every other game with no real knuckles support. Also if you make a fist the game thinks that you're punching. So while you're running, the game thinks that you're punching the environment :D
They also need to do something about the HUD. It's obviously designed for PSVR and not roomscale VR because it doesn't move with the player.

Also the game decided to spawn me on really hot planet where I died pretty fast lol

It's still pretty cool so far in VR. Definitely won't play this in non-VR anymore.

Last edited:

scalman

Ps5 with new VR should do wonders with game, but they could make more from Pro i think.
Enjoying game so much. Wont warp anywhere from first system until i wxplore stuff here.
Crashed ships and broken multitools are roo much damaged its just takes too much cost and effort too much materials to fix them but then you finding its better to just buy another ship or multitool. Those damages need to go down and be more simple so it would make sense to fix those monsters

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
On PSVR, is there no way to just do a simple jump with the Move controllers? It seems like jetpack burst or nothing.

And can you not move backwards? When you point backwards and press the left Move button, it just goes into some green data screen thing or something.

scalman

and yes you can build your base near ruins no problem just not on top them and not too close but still it looks pretty cool, color matches too.
YCRY8r6.jpg

then tried to fix some places there , build bridge between towers and makes stairs
HPU3BiW.jpg

and then at night you can be Assassins Creed , and you can put your portable tech on ruins no probs
CJ5Iad6.jpg

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Just started playing for the first time and really enjoying it. I was one of the people who said the game would flop and be complete ass when it was shown because it basically was concept and no meat. SO i have no impressions of the game before any updates but so far so good.

Was a bug in the beginning where it said "press ! to test thrusters" had to go online and find the controls to figure out what ! was.

My main question is, will their be enough quests to keep me going? I really dont enjoy just roaming and doing nothing, I love the begining quests that is teaching me everything, how long can I expect it to be like that?

Kadayi

Banned
Caved and bought a Rift S today. impressive stuff even with the screen door, but I have to say I'm not digging using the wands in-game (a little too much busy work for my tastes). Doesn't seem to be an option to just use an Xbox Controller with the VR at present (as far as I can tell) which I think would be my ideal truth be told.

Anyone Rift S owners able to tell me how to do the melee jetpack jump combo btw?

Last edited:
Caved and bought a Rift S today. impressive stuff even with the screen door, but I have to say I'm not digging using the wands in-game (a little too much busy work for my tastes). Doesn't seem to be an option to just use an Xbox Controller with the VR at present (as far as I can tell) which I think would be my ideal truth be told.

Anyone Rift S owners able to tell me how to do the melee jetpack jump combo btw?

Ah, that's bad to hear - I'm seriously considering picking up a Rift S for this game. Hopefully it will come in a patch soon? I think this in VR with an Xbox controller would be perfect. Oh well, back to enjoying it on the TV for now I guess.

RaptorGTA

Finally got to play.. started a new game and wow. Haven't played since launch and what a d difference! Really loving this so far.

scalman

Im still in first system on first 3 planets and if you go with signal booster and checking all signals there you will be soending days there im telling you . I allr3adt met 35 aliens there and learn over 50 words just in those planets. Allready changed 4 multitools and last 2 was given of aliens and lasr one was superb S class multitool, yes half slots need repair but those not bad and its enough those half good slots anyway , then i changed maybe 5 ships allready one founf crashed and then others just trade in. Builded bases on ruins found tons data treasures sold half them as im not into base building im explorer so thats what im doing scanning everything digging and exploring and selling goods. You can find such rare and expencive items on planets not in space it will make you fast money. So iv moved uo quite fast and duno if this allreadt level S multitool then where to go next.
Everything on planet you can find just with one took signal booster thats it. No need to buy maps etc just go andbexplore. Iv learned alllready atlas keys lv 1,2,3 . Cant make lv2 yet as missing some stuff but those lv1 containers all mine now.
I like that planets just have lots lots signals or maybe they generated as you searching but thats cool iv stealing alien egs then shooting them with my ship.
You can really play this game as you want be who you want to be.

Kadayi

Banned
Ah, that's bad to hear - I'm seriously considering picking up a Rift S for this game. Hopefully it will come in a patch soon? I think this in VR with an Xbox controller would be perfect. Oh well, back to enjoying it on the TV for now I guess.

To be fair, this was my first day with VR. Once I did a bit of tweaking on various settings I started to get a handle on the controls a lot more. I found some of the advice here useful in terms of graphical settings (I didn't bother with the messing with the Nvidia settings though as there's not a separate NMS VR launcher versus NMS launcher at present from what I can tell): -

Also changing up the movement and turning (its default is teleporting and increments ) to simply smooth back and forwards and turning left/right made life a lot easier.

I dare say more tweaks will come out over time.

Last edited:

Tumle

To be fair, this was my first day with VR. Once I did a bit of tweaking on various settings I started to get a handle on the controls a lot more. I found some of the advice here useful in terms of graphical settings (I didn't bother with the messing with the Nvidia settings though as there's not a separate NMS VR launcher versus NMS launcher at present from what I can tell): -

Also changing up the movement and turning (its default is teleporting and increments ) to simply smooth back and forwards and turning left/right made life a lot easier.

I dare say more tweaks will come out over time.
if its your first time owning an oculus rift I can recommend Lone Echo too. :)

Tumle

I'll bear it in mind. I've outlaid enough for this month with the Rift and all, but maybe come September. 🤔
there is a free multiplayer game based on the mechanics called echo arena. its multiplayer game based on that space game from that movie I cant remember what's called.. :p

Duallusion

My main question is, will their be enough quests to keep me going? I really dont enjoy just roaming and doing nothing, I love the begining quests that is teaching me everything, how long can I expect it to be like that?

It's going to hold your hand for quite some time - even with base building. Just don't expect some grand conclusion or anything like that.

drh1691

Neo Member
This is a question for the long-term player of this game running on an old pre-Beyond save file. Is anyone having problems with the teleporter history since Beyond came out?

I had a nice history of visited stations/planets listed when I accesses the station teleporters. Since the Beyond update, that history is now gone and it seems rebuilding the history no longer works correctly. I am using a day one save file in normal mode, I have not been in Euclid(first Galaxy) for a long time. I loaded up my old save file after Beyond came out and used the teleporter on the Nexus several times. All locations I could teleport to were in Euclid. I could also teleport back to my current base from the new locations. All of my locations in my current galaxy are now gone. I can only teleport to locations in Euclid and my current base.

I traveled quite some distance towards the center of my current galaxy, docking at the space stations each time. Say I arrived and docked at "System A", I can teleport to my base from System A, but not back to A. I can only teleport to locations previously visited in Euclid. I visit additional systems in my current galaxy, say B, C, and D and can teleport to my base. I cannot go back to B, C, or D. Again I can only get to locations in Euclid from my base. It seems the teleporter history will only remember locations I teleported to from the Nexus.

Am I missing something here?

This is a question for the long-term player of this game running on an old pre-Beyond save file. Is anyone having problems with the teleporter history since Beyond came out?

I had a nice history of visited stations/planets listed when I accesses the station teleporters. Since the Beyond update, that history is now gone and it seems rebuilding the history no longer works correctly. I am using a day one save file in normal mode, I have not been in Euclid(first Galaxy) for a long time. I loaded up my old save file after Beyond came out and used the teleporter on the Nexus several times. All locations I could teleport to were in Euclid. I could also teleport back to my current base from the new locations. All of my locations in my current galaxy are now gone. I can only teleport to locations in Euclid and my current base.

I traveled quite some distance towards the center of my current galaxy, docking at the space stations each time. Say I arrived and docked at "System A", I can teleport to my base from System A, but not back to A. I can only teleport to locations previously visited in Euclid. I visit additional systems in my current galaxy, say B, C, and D and can teleport to my base. I cannot go back to B, C, or D. Again I can only get to locations in Euclid from my base. It seems the teleporter history will only remember locations I teleported to from the Nexus.

Am I missing something here?

I think a multitude of things will be broken, I've heard about this from somebody else. Start a new save or bust.

I'm 20 hours into my new save, playing on normal it is very easy to make money and acquire upgrades. I'm already mass mining valuable resources and making infinite units. If you want a challenge you will need to start on survival.

Haven't tried Vr. I'm too much of a pussy when it comes to vr especially in space games. The scale scares me.

I want to like this game but i'm always annoyed by the lack of inventory space. I can move stuff to my freighter but not the other way around?

Flintty

I want to like this game but i'm always annoyed by the lack of inventory space. I can move stuff to my freighter but not the other way around?

You can expand your inventory, cargo and tech slots - once at each spec station. Will take a while to get to full capacity though.

Edit: and yes you can move stuff out of freighter if you’re on board.

Has anyone worked out how to boost jump in VR mode? 😖

Last edited:
You can expand your inventory, cargo and tech slots - once at each spec station. Will take a while to get to full capacity though.

Edit: and yes you can move stuff out of freighter if you’re on board.

I meant i can move stuff from my inventory to the freighter. But i can only retrieve that stuff when i'm on board of the freighter.

Definitely won't play this in non-VR anymore.

Yep. Without VR is a nice little game, with VR it's just bonkers.

It doesn't change the core gameplay loop of course, so if you hate that there's nothing VR can do. But the sheer size of everything is just so fucking cool.

I spent my first two hours just hopping in and out of my ship landing and flying around on random planets.

If they can improve the transition from and to orbit it's going to be even more sick.

And mods: most of the best ones are or are being ported over to Beyond and VR. And I can't wait for other new implementations.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

There is too much inventory space. I really don't understand how anyone is running out of space. It's even worse now they've increased the capacity.

buizel

Banned
If anyone is playing No Mans Sky blind (i.e. never before played) in VR or otherwise lemme know i wanna see! Also i can do graphics for your youtube/twitch :p

Flintty

Yep. Without VR is a nice little game, with VR it's just bonkers.

It doesn't change the core gameplay loop of course, so if you hate that there's nothing VR can do. But the sheer size of everything is just so fucking cool.

I spent my first two hours just hopping in and out of my ship landing and flying around on random planets.

If they can improve the transition from and to orbit it's going to be even more sick.

And mods: most of the best ones are or are being ported over to Beyond and VR. And I can't wait for other new implementations.

Yeah it’s fucking crazy. I just found a hilly snowy planet and felt like I was flying around Hoth as I zipped between the valleys. The scale and everything about it is mental!

I just had my first space battle too, expecting a disaster. Started bad but once I ignored the targeting circle I was hammering him. The biggest advantage of VR is that I can turn my head to track where the enemy is headed - that’s a game changer.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

There is a Rocket Boots Tech Upgrade now you can purchase for nanites and install that acts like that, just double tap jump and off you go. I think you can purchase it in the Anomaly if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Flintty

There is a Rocket Boots Tech Upgrade now you can purchase for nanites and install that acts like that, just double tap jump and off you go. I think you can purchase it in the Anomaly if I recall correctly.

Thank you! I’ll check it out when I get to the anomaly 👍🏻

Romulus

The biggest advantage of VR is that I can turn my head to track where the enemy is headed - that’s a game changer.

Not unless you've tried it. I used to read posts like this before I had VR and it didn't seem like a big deal to me. I thought, "meh I can just rotate the camera just as easy."

Hell no, it's not that same at all.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t have VR, and I hate you all. 😋

But I’ve been playing on and off since launch, and while I’m not able to point to which feature came from which update, I do feel like the sum of the whole, post-Beyond, is a great little game. It’s... life by a thousand cuts? They’ve made so many improvements, that the game has been radically transformed. Something that I sometimes struggled to find a point in, other than kicking the imagination and exploring, genuinely now has a ton of stuff to do.

Slightly more controversial, but speaking of Beyond, specifically, I know a lot of people are not going for this wiring your base thing. I agree that they need to add a way to conceal it better. But I absolutely love it. Although a couple of games have already done similar things, whoever thought games would become so detailed, we’d be plugging things in, and running electrical wire? It really adds the feel of building a base on the lonely frontier, and getting it operational.

Looking forward to my next marathon session with the game, because once you start, it is almost impossible to put down.

scalman

Anyone else saw how npc alien walks outside via door on planet station and comes back inside? I was like wut not way as i turned to him he was coming back inside building from outside. But then i waited looking at him that he do that again and he didint do it. Was it like bug or smt...imagine yoy fly to station and those aliens walking outsidr. That would be a day...hehe.

Top Bottom