• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky Beyond, Out Now! (Update Notes)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Beat your head against the wall for an hour while you look for Copper? How the hell were they playing it? The only time I've ever found it a grind in all the 2,500 hours I've played is when I did the community events. I still, to this day, do not understand why people think it's a grind. Well, strike that, I think I do. They just want the best and they want it now! They don't want to immerse themselves in the moment to moment gameplay, they want to find that portal location and buy the best ship the game as to offer ... but it costs millions. 'Oh, I should go down on a planet and mine for hours and hours to get the money I need ...' People who grind in NMS are making it a grind themselves.

buizel

Banned

What a weird review, all they talked about was grinding for minerals.

Ive spent probably thousands of hours on this game and 'grinding for materials' is such a tiny part of what I did.

The only time I ever had to grind was for carbon for a base. Spent about 10 minutes in a forest hot mining trees and had enough for like 5 full bases proper cool and complex. You get like 100 carbon per second so is easy. So a little house takes about 7 seconds of mining for a 4 tile house with wall and roof. Hmm easy

They didn't touch on basically anything else. Stupid IGN

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
What a weird review, all they talked about was grinding for minerals.

Ive spent probably thousands of hours on this game and 'grinding for materials' is such a tiny part of what I did.

The only time I ever had to grind was for carbon for a base. Spent about 10 minutes in a forest hot mining trees and had enough for like 5 full bases proper cool and complex. You get like 100 carbon per second so is easy. So a little house takes about 7 seconds of mining for a 4 tile house with wall and roof. Hmm easy

They didn't touch on basically anything else. Stupid IGN

They probably don't understand if you do a little grinding right at the beginning of the game for Cobalt/Ionised Cobalt you can basically steamroll that into a decent cash boulder (sell high, buy back low then rinse repeat elsewhere) and you can buy most materials you need after that. Mine Copper to turn into Chromatic metal? Fuck that BS, they sell it everywhere.

Trimesh

Banned
They probably don't understand if you do a little grinding right at the beginning of the game for Cobalt/Ionised Cobalt you can basically steamroll that into a decent cash boulder (sell high, buy back low then rinse repeat elsewhere) and you can buy most materials you need after that. Mine Copper to turn into Chromatic metal? Fuck that BS, they sell it everywhere.

There is also an infinite copper loop once you get the medium refiner - refine 2 copper into 1 chromatic metal, then refine 1 chromatic metal + 1 copper into 4 copper, so every time you do it you increase your copper by 33%

Katsura

Beat your head against the wall for an hour while you look for Copper? How the hell were they playing it? The only time I've ever found it a grind in all the 2,500 hours I've played is when I did the community events. I still, to this day, do not understand why people think it's a grind. Well, strike that, I think I do. They just want the best and they want it now! They don't want to immerse themselves in the moment to moment gameplay, they want to find that portal location and buy the best ship the game as to offer ... but it costs millions. 'Oh, I should go down on a planet and mine for hours and hours to get the money I need ...' People who grind in NMS are making it a grind themselves.
Facts and it's not even like you need to grind to make money. In fact, i'd argue it's too easy to make billions. You can have millions within hours of starting the game and without using exploits

Katsura

And once you got a bit of money from that, move on to gold, silver and platinum. Now you're not just making crazy money but silver + gold refines to platinum which refines to nanites

Wonko_C

I hope Digital Foundry and NX Gamer do their analysis on it, I wanna know what they say about PSVR framerate/resolution. D dark10x is anyone at DF going to cover Beyond?

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Facts and it's not even like you need to grind to make money. In fact, i'd argue it's too easy to make billions. You can have millions within hours of starting the game and without using exploits

Yeah, I find it the oddest accusation the game faces. I just play the game and buy what I can when I can buy it. My aim isn't even to buy 'up', my aim is to play the game, and in playing the game I accrue a certain amount of money. At some point I'll have enough to buy a new gun, ship, freighter or updgrade, and then I'll buy 'up', usually a 'b' class of something. I'll just then forget about buying 'up' again and carry on playing. I've played this game to completion 11 times, been through 7 galaxies and always ended up with S class of everything but at no point was an S class my goal. Enjoying the damned game was my goal. Every time someone asks me, either on a forum or in the comments section of one of my videos, is it worth buying, I tell them the same thing: Enjoy the moment to moment gameplay, don't look at what other people have and start wanting what they've got. Just enjoy the game loop at your own pace.

It amazes me that people look at videos showing them the locations for all the best stuff in the game, use portals to get there, grind to be able to afford it and then post 'I've done everything there is to do and I'm bored'. Yeah, that's because you've cut out 90% of the gameplay loop in favour of 'ownership' and 'status'. I swear if Hello Games added a new mode called 'Get all the best stuff in the game immediate and forget about actually playing it', people would click on it. I say to those people, sell the game, NMS isn't for you.

Last edited:

Miles708

I can't imagine it does unless the disc was printed in the past couple of weeks and even then i wouldn't count on it
You may be right, but i still hope it's not the initial Beyond release, since it had crashes and a million different bugs. I was planning on buying Beyond retail and keep the original retail on version 1.0, since i kinda miss the empty and lonely universe of the very initial version.

This game is awesome, anyway.

Last edited:

scalman

trying some more mods to make game more random less predicted, more random biomes more random multitools and ships. with this everytime you start game with random multitool , never same, random ship and on random biome planet not those standard that i was having before i tried to find more cool planets .Now its like you can appear really on some scifi book coverage planet there
thats one of many that i tried and allways got some different ships and multitools.its first planet first ship and multitool
BS2EzFo.jpg

zUMW0VQ.jpg

hjfjTxt.png

and remember those huge crystals that they showed in early E3 videos that never got in the game...
o76zWnA.jpg

but it doesnt make your game any easier , most cases its harder, because its completely random what planet you will start on , sometimes they dont have ferite dust there or no sodium , or very rare to find those so you dying before you find them at times, but then other times you can appear on some real cool planets.

i thought all ways from start then this game should be just more random more crazy and no rules , just some random stuff that you never know what will be generated for you. in real game it has more rules some stuff that need to be there and such. but you can change it with some mods out there. PC version is best to play anyway., for that awesome ground surface , extra effects and mods.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
so new 2.12 patch , they say it should do something better with PSVR , lets see what it changed if it did

not sure i see much difference but maybe in the actual VR its more visiable

Text in the cockpit alone looks a bit sharper and the pop in seemed less aggressive in the footage there.

As a PC VR player they've improved the VR experience since launch for sure. I'm not sure how far behind PS4 is versus PC in terms of updates though.

scalman

Would be nice to know how much pc vr lets say occulus on gtx1060 would compare to psvr on ps4 pro image quality as i would like to enter vr world for first time still thinking go for pc or ps4 pro VR.

Performance dropped to hell after Beyond update, before that everything ran smooth on 1070, now, moving on planet is laggy and you run into invisible objects that are not yet rendered.

Katsura

I just tried it in vr for the first time and wow, the immersion is amazing but i did get nausea when flying close to the ground. Are there some graphics tweaks to alleviate it?

scalman

well VR in games most times cause some not right feeling for people aint it? because your body stays in place and your brain thinks that you moving all around. for some its worse for others less so. still dont know how i would react to that.

Katsura

well VR in games most times cause some not right feeling for people aint it? because your body stays in place and your brain thinks that you moving all around. for some its worse for others less so. still dont know how i would react to that.
True but it's the only game i've had that happen and it's only while flying close to the ground. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Other than that, it's amazing in vr

Romulus

It's really blown out of proportion. For the ones that have problems, its a real thing obviously, but I've demoed my VR hundreds of times with very few complaints of motion sickness. Not only that, most people that have issues can get used to it.

Wonko_C

I already had my VR legs but 100+ hours of No Man's Sky VR have solidified them as a rock now. Smooth turning on foot no longer is an issue and I can barrel roll in my ship like a champ, LOL.

Bring on Mirror's Edge VR and Gravity Rush VR, I won't feel a thing. *brag*

Last edited:

Phase

I've got a question for those who play this game. I've never picked it up, but is there a campaign or something similar within the game? If it's very open ended I can't see myself enjoying it.

Grieves

I've come back to this game after a bit of a break.

I've built some solar panels for my base but haven't got enough batteries yet to keep it powered at night.

When there is no power the door is open but when the base is powered the door is closed and doesn't open.

Am I supposed to build a switch to open the door or should I be connecting the door to something?

I don't actually need my base as I think I can everything I need with my freighter but it would be nice to get it working again. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Katsura

I've got a question for those who play this game. I've never picked it up, but is there a campaign or something similar within the game? If it's very open ended I can't see myself enjoying it.
It invites open ended play for sure but there is a campaign and multiple side quests, daily quests etc
I've come back to this game after a bit of a break.

I've built some solar panels for my base but haven't got enough batteries yet to keep it powered at night.

When there is no power the door is open but when the base is powered the door is closed and doesn't open.

Am I supposed to build a switch to open the door or should I be connecting the door to something?

I don't actually need my base as I think I can everything I need with my freighter but it would be nice to get it working again. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.
I've had this problem when the wire from my batteries are connected to the outlet right at the door. If i delete that wire and use another outlet instead it works as expected

scalman

no campaign as such its very much open ended but there is like tutorial and missions that if you follow them only you will learn how to do some stuff and you will get missions , but not as story very much , so i follow it some but then do lots stuff that i want to do , like exploring planet a lot .
then again its about 30 hrs to play just trought those missions, and it can be seen as campaign sure. just i dont like to be rushed so i dont follow it much

Last edited:

Katsura

no campaign as such its very much open ended but there is like tutorial and missions that if you follow them only you will learn how to do some stuff and you will get missions , but not as story very much , so i follow it some but then do lots stuff that i want to do , like exploring planet a lot .
No, there is a campaign or main story so to speak. I don't want to spoil it though but there is one

scalman

best way is to watch some gameplay from start and see those missions in action and then decide is it your cup of tea or not. if you didint liked game before story and you think that story will change that all , i duno about it. wouldnt count on it. but it can help sure and teach you some stuff because its so a lot going on there that you need to know...that game dont teach you

Last edited:

scalman

so update 2.13 , they saying lots fixes lots new stuff and new HBAO instead of old one , so wonder how that new HBAO looks , anyone notice difference ? i dont have update yet on GOG

They've done a great job of reviving that game, but I still think that is it just a bleak and boring game where you can do much, but this "much" is not very interesting

Grieves

Still can't get power to most of my storage containers at my base.

Deleted them and rebuild them and it still says insufficient power.

Grieves

And you have plenty of extra power when you check your power network?

Yeah I've got about double the power I need.

I think I'll redesign my base. Maybe putting them somewhere else might sort it.

It's not really an issue as I can access them from my freighter.

Katsura

Yeah I've got about double the power I need.

I think I'll redesign my base. Maybe putting them somewhere else might sort it.

It's not really an issue as I can access them from my freighter.
Yea, there are definitely still some major bugs in there. I switched freighter recently and i cannot build a teleporter in the new one. I used the config file tweak on PC which allows you to build anything on the freighter but to no avail. I didn't read any patch notes where they prevented it so i'm not sure what's going on. Not a big deal, it's just convenient to have a teleporter there

scalman

man they work fast allready 2.14 update with bug fixes.
bought game on ps4 and pc , no regrets . bought it the day it came out ... i dig it what dev ment and from first release its amazing game for me.

Last edited:
man they work fast allready 2.14 update with bug fixes.
bought game on ps4 and pc , no regrets . bought it the day it came out ... i dig it what dev ment and from first release its amazing game for me.

Can't help to compare to Elite Dangerous, just on how I hear that game is fairly shallow. NMS just seems to have a bit more content to it, not to mention it seems to be actively supported.

Katsura

Can't help to compare to Elite Dangerous, just on how I hear that game is fairly shallow. NMS just seems to have a bit more content to it, not to mention it seems to be actively supported.
They're very different games in my opinion. ED is sort of a simulator where everything requires more input. Take landing on a space station as an example. In ED, you have to approach the station, request permission to dock, approach your assigned landing pad, lower landing gear and then use thrusters to align with the pad before landing. In No mans sky, you simply fly into the tractor beam and everything from there is automatic. NMS has a much more arcade feel when it comes to controls. While both are a space sandbox, NMS has the whole base building aspect and a much more focused story

scalman

new update 2.14 and next day it went with fix 2.14.01 . mods not working anymore from 2.12 version. game just makes you die in loop if using mods. so new mods need to be made or ported so they could work. I just find game much more cool and interesting and more random with some mods, not cheats just mods.

found mods that works with 2.14 and now i can have random generated ship and multitool everytime i start new game and everytime its different not same as in original game.
thats first planet with first mulitool just found my first ship
jEfnA0T.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom