• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Changes to Xbox Live Gold Pricing, Free-to-Play Games to be Unlocked [Update]

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Or, 30 usd because of the 10 usd increase, but yeah I get your point.

But it's still shit to pay 10 usd more on ps5 for the same game, as xbox players. I think it's insane it didn't get more backlash.

But if no one complains then Microsoft will follow soon, just like Sony would have followed if xbox live could have gotten the price increase without backlash. But yeah, we are agreeing. No reason to derail the thread too much and be happy for the Xbox players for Microsoft listening to them.

Final reply to you.
I said xbox live increase is bullshit. Luckily it got reversed. The PS5 game increase is bullshit. Sadly it doesn't get reversed as people aren't complaint as much.

Also i never said ps5 games was 80 usd but 70 usd and 80 euro so shut the fuck up with the voices in your head.

And then you are comparing UK pound with euro while saying I'm converting currency. Are you just plain fucking retarded?

I'm done with your fanboy bullshit. Have a great weekend sir.

Sorry my choice of words, but I get angry when an idiot tries to say shit I didn't say and just talk shit for the sake of it.

Sure, insults and throwing a hissy fit when the argument does not stick is the sure way to react and get your point across.

Pricing of all next generation games (although not all are full priced AAA experiences, see Miles Morales) is rising, but trying to make it sound worse than it is ($80 games by quoting combo editions of games or regional pricing converted back into dollars)or making it a Sony only problem (as if there were no third party raising prices on both platforms already) is still there no matter how hostile you get.

At least you are not saying that the rise in game prices is not all Sony’s fault that established precedent (people may love that idea but then one needs to also accept that paid online and micro transactions are some other company’s fault then... you can either trash both ideas or accept them both).

Last edited:

Raekwon26

Mocking your childish name calling. Internet tough guys are the best people. You don't like the price hike neither did I. I only put it in perspective seeing how there was exactly ONE place where you'd be paying the higher price and since it's been reversed MS is the only console manufacturer with free online for f2p titles AND free cloud saves. Rough road to get here but it's a win

Oh please.

Dude, you're a shill. You're a corporation nut hugger.

Nothing about being a tough guy, you are just pathetic.

MS funked up and instead of holding them solely accountable for their own fuck up, a shill like you was like "but what about what Sony are on a doing on a completely irrelevant topic", because Lord knows it broke your green heart to see people ripping MS, you just had to try and include Sony.

You're a shill.

People like you are the reason why MS felt comfortable doing what they did.

Last edited:

Fredrik

the fact that they dared to go there in the first place is incredibly troubling.
This is my thinking as well.

Gamepass for my current prepaid price ($5/month) is awesome, best deal there is. And as long as I have that I’ll definitely enjoy their platform and services. But investing further in the platform is less interesting now, they’re pulling in the wrong strings and that’s getting me cautious.

And I don’t understand, how could they think this would just stroll by unnoticed when playing their games online on PC is free? What would console gamers get for their $120/year?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Thats Xbox One lol wrong generation

Holy shit you're eight fucking stupid covers looking like each other.

Microsoft is as shit as Sony. Fucking embarrassing when Microsoft told they wouldn't accept a price increase.

But yeah my bad. So are we all agreeing both companies are shit now regarding this?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not warring. This MS price increase was bad and so to is the outrageous price Sony is charging for its first/second party games outside of America. What I was pointing out for the people coming in gloating is both companies can make terrible pricing decisions. That's just adding context around the discussion.

Yep, pricing outside of the U.S. (which includes Saes tax by default though) is a bit fucked up, but not in a way where Sony can be singled out I think.

TimFL

Wait wait they didn't see this backlash coming? LMAO this makes them look so incompetent. Who running things over there XD.
This. The turnaround isn‘t a good thing cause we only got it due to the backlash they‘ve been receiving for their original price hike announcement.

The price hike and them thinking it‘s a good idea should tell you all there is to know about the people in charge at that company, including Spencer. All sleazy car salesmen that don‘t really care about anything but the quick buck.

But I already know people turn over backwards now to praise them for being brave. Playing you all like a fiddle I guess.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Microsoft is as shit as Sony. Fucking embarrassing when Microsoft told they wouldn't accept a price increase.

But yeah my bad. So are we all agreeing both companies are shit now regarding this?
Yes, I do not think either is shit regarding prices increases, but I can definitely also accept both are. Thank you for replying honestly and openly btw.

kyliethicc

Do you understand that Sony & Microsoft do not determine the price of NBA2K and Call of Duty?

That price is set by Take Two (for NBA) and Activision (for CoD).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Getting back on topic, this now means that you could actually fairly reasonably just pay £7.99 for a Game Pass monthly sub and completely jettison Gold if you are a casual gamer.

Free to play games like Fortnite, Apex, Halo Infinite, Warzone and Rocket League.

Free Cloud Saves, party chat and messaging.

If I didn’t have GPU stacked, I think I’d try this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes, I do not think either is shit regarding prices increases, but I can definitely also accept both are. Thank you for replying honestly and openly btw.
I'm sorry I went offensive and aggressive. I had a a short temper there. No reason for that. Still love you man.

Weird that they straight doubled the price to begin with instead of adding a tenner or whatever. Which idiot thought people would happily swallow that?

Roufianos

Honestly, just one of the most bizarre decisions this industry has ever seen. Doubling the price during a pandemic, $10 I could understand.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Still beggers belief we didn't gave anything like this backlash over the huge price increase for PS5 games
Because as much as Playstation fanboys trying to pretend that Xbox fanboys are cult, they gladly take every shit Sony throw at them for fake feeling of superiority. Yesterday only people who does not do push back againts this, are those "look at them cultists"

MistBreeze

so they turned back in less than a day??

they are panicking ... but good for gamers to force greedy companies off

but the real questions why they planned this price hike in the first place?

did they see most or many of their install base only buying some games and pay xbox live and they tried to force them into game pass??

if that is true this means game pass is not as successful as we think??

or game pass subs as of right now not enough to pay for maintaining the service and paying expenses let alone get revenue ???

either way they were planning to get a revenue and they will get it one way or the other

honestly I expect they will try to force non game pass customers using other means not by force like that

I expect game pass sub to increase price

this is an expensive service to maintain ... seriously I doubt it is sustainable for AAA games in the long run but we will see...

Last edited:
Bad move, most just play fortnite, so they are going to lose alot of subs, should have just added free online to gamepas and put the price up slowly on gamepass.

Do Take Two have 46 million subscribers to an online service that is nearly pure profit?

By my rough calculations (46m x £40, £10 less than RRP for yearly sub, not factoring in localised costs or monthly subs paying more) Sony will be making a minimum of around £1.84 billion a year from Plus. Can’t they allocate an additional few million out of that for their first party devs? Or are you just happy to keep footing the costs? They didn’t have that revenue stream for the PS1, 2 or 3 - yet they survived.

Source for the sub count as of Oct 20;

Let's not forget that Sony doesn't have to pay the console manufacturer 30% of its revenue. This is another scumbag move by a console manufacturer that is trying to push for a policy that will benefit them in the future. I can't believe I'm saying this but Nintendo is the one that is becoming the least anti-consumer and not because they're so nice but because the other 2 are complete fucking assholes.

Let's not forget that with that subs money and 30% of store revenue is for their server maintenance and cost of "freebies" on PS+ and PS Now.
Like i've said, game price increase has nothing to do with subs. Game development costs go higher, Take Two and Activision took first steps, Sony after them. Sooner or later all big publishers will increase prices for their games.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'd like to have been present at the original meeting where they thought it was a good idea and went ahead with it. How out of touch can you be with your market? I wouldn't feel relived just yet though. They've got to get that money they planned for somehow, I'd expect some sort of new plan sooner rather than later.

Rolla

Banned
I think this situation shines a light on the actual state of GP. They already admitted that it doesn't make money but a 100% increase, aiming to force the Gold audience into the service seems uncharacteristic.Even though it's reversed I think the ex XB exec Mike said it best...

Emphasis on "Must be a plan to make Gold only people go to Game Pass to show growth there."

Last edited:

FranXico

Tinfoil hat moment: PS fans so scared Sony would follow suit, they shitstormed MS to make them do a 180°.

After all, the most aggressive people ITT all have a Sony avatar :messenger_winking:

However this actually went down, it’s good news for customers :messenger_ok:
Nothing tinfoiled about that. When one company tries to pull shit, ALL other companies look at costumers reaction.

Sometimes it feels like Microsoft has no real proper, well-thought out plan with their decisions. They often seem to do things and back pedal on a whim. I have no idea how something like this even went out for a public reaction test... it’s just baffling, especially with their console still not even launching a AAA first party title yet... they’re already behind PS5 in PR.

NewChoppa

Banned
Because as much as Playstation fanboys trying to pretend that Xbox fanboys are cult, they gladly take every shit Sony throw at them for fake feeling of superiority. Yesterday only people who does not do push back againts this, are those "look at them cultists"

I mean, the first company to bring the new $70 price point to the table was TakeTwo with NBA 2k21. I’m...not sure how that’s Sony’s fault at all

Plus, I dunno about you but I feel like a proposed 100% price increase on Live was a lot worse than a $10 jump in game price

M1chl

I mean, the first company to bring the new $70 price point to the table was TakeTwo with NBA 2k21. I’m...not sure how that’s Sony’s fault at all

Plus, I dunno about you but I feel like a proposed 100% price increase on Live was a lot worse than a $10 jump in game price
I agree the Live price hike would have been far worse, definitely, however the price hike for 1st party games, are definitely Sony's own doing:

And that's bullshit, especially that regional pricing.

I agree the Live price hike would have been far worse, definitely, however the price hike for 1st party games, are definitely Sony's own doing:

And that's bullshit, especially that regional pricing.
If you think a game is too expensive, then just don't buy it. We are not even talking about Nintendo's eternal pricing here, Sony games will drop in price. If you are not willing to pay and everyone else do the same, then price will go down. This is how Xbox consoles drop in price all the time.

M1chl

If you think a game is too expensive, then just don't buy it. We are not even talking about Nintendo's eternal pricing here, Sony games will drop in price. If you are not willing to pay and everyone else do the same, then price will go down. This is how Xbox consoles drop in price all the time.
I mean sure, vote with your wallet, but it's different to start at 60USD and at 70USD. I don't see how is that a good thing, especially since they are swimming in profits.

But sure I don't disagree.

I mean sure, vote with your wallet, but it's different to start at 60USD and at 70USD. I don't see how is that a good thing, especially since they are swimming in profits.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with any software company selling their game for $300 if they want. Games are not under price control, because the demand is elastic. Everyone has to determine how much they want to pay for games, Sony can't decide that for you.

M1chl

I mean, there is nothing wrong with any software company selling their game for $300 if they want. Games are not under price control, because the demand is elastic. Everyone has to determine how much they want to pay for games, Sony can't decide that for you.
Of course, does not mean, that I am going to be happy about the change. I never said, that they don't have the right, they obviously do...

The people over there are morons, they could’ve jacked up the price by $10 or even $20 a year and it would’ve brought them in a really nice bit of extra money. Not many people would’ve thrown a fit about it, they could’ve kept their free to play games behind a paywall. Now because of greed the opportunity to raise the price was wasted. At least they backtracked. Good for gamers though, nice to see people making a change instead of just taking it. I sometimes wonder if you have to be a completely tone deaf idiot to work for some of these corporations.

Last edited:
The people over there are morons, they could’ve jacked up the price by $10 or even $20 a year and it would’ve brought them in a really nice bit of extra money. Not many people would’ve thrown a fit about it, they could’ve kept their free to play games behind a paywall. Now because of greed the opportunity to raise the price was wasted. At least they backtracked. Good for gamers though, nice to see people making a change instead of just taking it. I sometimes wonder if you have to be a completely tone deaf idiot to work for some of these corporations.
Maybe instead of saying they should do it slowly, you might consider why they HAD to do it quickly.
As we know, corporations work in quarters and financial years. Instead of slowly raising the price over several years, Xbox might not HAVE the time to do it slowly. That the money was needed for something. That it was necessary.

And now that money is gone. Does that mean the need for that money disappears too? i doubt it. Xbox would have to make up for it elsewhere.

Banned
so I go to sleep and wake up to the news that, not only do they not up the pricing, but also finally make free 2 play games actually free?

well... GOOD JOB INTERNET! we did it!

Portugeezer

Maybe instead of saying they should do it slowly, you might consider why they HAD to do it quickly.
As we know, corporations work in quarters and financial years. Instead of slowly raising the price over several years, Xbox might not HAVE the time to do it slowly. That the money was needed for something. That it was necessary.

And now that money is gone. Does that mean the need for that money disappears too? i doubt it. Xbox would have to make up for it elsewhere.
I think the speculation that it was to make Gamepass Ultimate look like a better deal is probably true. They didn't necessarily need the money.

There is also the problem that less people would actually pay for XBL at this price, so making money would not be a guarantee, and clearly it was not worth the backlash.

Lillie

MS not redeemed for me after this until they remove xbl gold fee - which it should be free, not 2x the price, let alone 1x.

skit_data

Good, but the feeling that they are completely out of touch with their audience persists. That is a stain that cant be washed away too easy, because it gives away their intent, and just how out of sync it is with their marketing. That damages trust long term.

longdi

Banned
Thinking about this, seems like a part of MS(probably finance) side wanted to hike price during their earnings, another part of MS(probably Phil's XGS) didn't think it is smart to do so this soon.

So they threw out this test balloon to gauge the reaction. And bom the XGS won in a I told you so way.

Or why else this seems a controlled leak, on a Fri and closely monitored at MS,that the turnaround was within hours. 🤷‍♀️

GHG

Gold Member
Great news and I'm glad they did the right thing for the situation. The next step would be for them and everyone else to make online play completely free as it is on PC but we're probably in too deep for that.

Does MS now claim the consumer friendly crown? Does Sony step forward and make cloud saves free?

Ah, I see you got your voice back. It's a shame you can't speak whenever bad news for Xbox circulates. At least you can thank your fellow gamers for speaking up on your behalf and making sure you also benefit.

Or why else this seems a controlled leak, on a Fri and closely monitored at MS,that the turnaround was within hours. 🤷‍♀️

How can it be a controlled leak when they officially announced it?

Can you stop spinning for one second? Are you not dizzy?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thinking about this, seems like a part of MS(probably finance) side wanted to hike price during their earnings, another part of MS(probably Phil's XGS) didn't think it is smart to do so this soon.

So they threw out this test balloon to gauge the reaction. And bom the XGS won in a I told you so way.

So, Phil that reports directly to Nadella and got a full-in commitment to Xbox (his demands was to be full-in or full-out) infinite war chest backing let this happen because he was outmanoeuvred just to prove a point? Teflon Phil indeed...

Last edited:

This was a massive fuckup no matter how you approach it. It's honestly always the same with MS. They garner some goodwill for a time and fuck it up completely with a single move. Someone is definitely getting fired for this.

THE:MILKMAN

Wow....You go away to recharge for a few weeks and one of the big players pulls a crazy stunt like this (and console supplies are still in the shitter understandably).

I think I'm going with the theory they thought making Gold poor value would lead to everyone jumping to GP.

This stunt was even worse than Sony's 40% FP games price hike in the UK but at least someone at MS quickly saw it for the huge mistake it was. It is just sad that for me now there are too many reasons to bother getting any console for the foreseeable and if anything I wouldn't be surprised to see other business decisions that are bad for gamers.

*crawls back under rock*

If it was another company, a smaller one, maybe. But this is Microsoft were talking about. This was greed.

SkylineRKR

Fat chance I won't buy buying Sony exclusives day one anymore. Because I think the price is fucked up. If lots of gamers vote with their wallet, Sony will backtrack. Perhaps they will anyway, I feel this is a temporary move to suck the early adaptors dry. Once the PS5 is readily available to and adopted by the masses I doubt those prices will persist. I remember PS2 games also started at a very high price, then lowered over time.

longdi

Banned
So, Phil that reports directly to Nadella and got a full-in infinite watchers backing let this happen because he was outmanoeuvred just to prove a point? Teflon Phil indeed...

This was a massive fuckup no matter how you approach it. It's honestly always the same with MS. They garner some goodwill for a time and fuck it up completely with a single move. Someone is definitely getting fired for this.

Tbf the main issue was the TOO aggressive hike. Doubling the price didn't seem smart, and you don't underestimate how much power the CFO usually holds

A $5-10 increase would have gone without a hitch

Last edited:
Top Bottom