• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Changes to Xbox Live Gold Pricing, Free-to-Play Games to be Unlocked [Update]

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

Can you stay on topic for one post...first you bring Sony into the thread and now you trying to bring cloud saves into the thread.
Uh it's the same point. Free online play for f2p titles was a point I heard mentioned to knock MS over and over. What about cloud saves? MS has always offered free cloud saves why are they alone in this?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seriously .. after 25+ years of dealing with corporate marketing teams from many different big companies...

that was the weirdest shit I’ve ever seen.

you have to think ... a price hike like that was months if not years of planning and consultants ... and then just to say “ whoops sorry” in less than a day??
/mind blown

Dane

Really? No. It was a greedy move they thought they could pull off, and sadly (imo) we had to rely on rage culture for MS not to go through with this.

They could just backflipped on the price and that's it, but they went far as confirm earlier rumors that at least F2P games wouldn't require Gold anymore, thii a big deal for those who only play these titles online.

Raekwon26

Does MS now claim the consumer friendly crown? Does Sony step forward and make cloud saves free?

Who offers a better deal in the console space?

I feel that way about cloud saves.

Uh it's the same point. Free online play for f2p titles was a point I heard mentioned to knock MS over and over. What about cloud saves? MS has always offered free cloud saves why are they alone in this?

People like this is probably why MS felt comfortable doing what they did.

Shill.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. Well done MS. Did not expect F2P games to be unlocked.

I am just happy because you just know folks at Sony are pissed at MS reversing course because they must have been licking their lips at the thought of doubling their profits and giving themselves bonuses.

This is a win for all gamers.

Your trying to paint Microsoft as pro-consumer with the one last bullet point you have left when they thread ain't even about cloud saves. They lock online behind a paywall for Xbox players and give it out for free to PC players and they just tried to fuck over their Xbox gamers even more. Cloud saves aren't even remotely close to being as important as paying for online.

People like this is probably why MS felt comfortable doing what they did.

Shill.
Find one post where I supported the price hike. Just one.

Your trying to paint Microsoft as pro-consumer with the one last bullet point you have left when they thread ain't even about cloud saves. They lock online behind a paywall for Xbox players and give it out for free to PC players and they just tried to fuck over their Xbox gamers even more. Cloud saves aren't even remotely close to being as important as paying for online.
You might not know this but console and PC markets are different. I am not a fan of free online PC with paid online console but like I said who is offering a better deal in the CONSOLE space? I completely disagree with the idea that free online play for f2p titles is more important than cloud saves for all titles. After this bad pr move MS not only reversed a bad move but they went beyond where they were before. If they were anti consumer friendly when they raised the price why aren't they consumer friendly when they reverse it and do even more?

Last edited:
Might be a case of a higher up over Spencer going “fuck the nerds we need more $$$”. Although I though Spencer reported directly to Nadella now. If he signed off on this then he is breathtakingly retarded.
There is no way Spencer did not sign off on this. Now he might have been forced to because he had to show a certain profit and he's gone on a spending spree of late. He couldn't raise the price of the console because that would kill it. He couldn't raise the price of Game Pass since that is their golden goose that they are trying to grow. Xbox Live Gold was the only thing left.

Now the question is "How will MS make up the money that they were projecting to make with this increase?" These price hikes weren't done out of the blue for no reason. I think they'll have to monetize Game Pass somehow. For example Game Pass games might show an advertisement on loading, while bought games wouldn't. Amazon has shown that this is a pricing model that people will accept.

Elginer

Their assholes became triggered and decided to hold off for the fuckening later. Thank god for the feedback of fuck you to them. But believe this will be brought up again in a few months with a better PR bullshit feel good story that’s full of rich creamy shit.

And my 69.99 brings in nothing and should be treated less than someone paying zero or couple a dollars for power ups? My 69.99 should not make me a second class citizen period. You treated both the same or retail games get extras not less.
In 2019, Fortnite brought in revenue of $1.8 billion. You have no leg to stand on. Free-to-play games aren't free. It's more pay as you go versus pay up front.

RPS37

Seriously .. after 25+ years of dealing with corporate marketing teams from many different big companies...

you have to think ... a price hike like that was months if not years of planning and consultants ... and then just to say “ whoops sorry” in less than a day??
/mind blown
Completely baffled, but so glad it happened.

You might not know this but console and PC markets are different. I am not a fan of free online PC with paid online console but like I said who is offering a better deal in the CONSOLE space? I completely disagree with the idea that free online play for f2p titles is more important than cloud saves for all titles. After this bad pr move MS not only reversed a bad move but they went beyond where they were before. If they were anti consumer friendly when they raised the price why aren't they consumer friendly when they reverse it and do even more?
Don't think I'm gonna move past you justifying Xbox players paying for online by saying "console and PC markets are different." Give me one reason why Xbox gamers have to pay for online.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is no way Spencer did not sign off on this. Now he might have been forced to because he had to show a certain profit and he's gone on a spending spree of late. He couldn't raise the price of the console because that would kill it. He couldn't raise the price of Game Pass since that is their golden goose that they are trying to grow. Xbox Live Gold was the only thing left.

Now the question is "How will MS make up the money that they were projecting to make with this increase?" These price hikes weren't done out of the blue for no reason. I think they'll have to monetize Game Pass somehow. For example Game Pass games might show an advertisement on loading, while bought games wouldn't. Amazon has shown that this is a pricing model that people will accept.
Gamepass simply isnt sustainable. Especially when their AAA games that cost $100 million start to come out and they lose out on hundreds of millions because everyone is happy with subbing for a month for a dollar. Their first party division is going to be bleeding money and something's gonna have to give.

DOUBLING the price of xbox live gold is not something you do. a $10 price hike wouldve made more sense but clearly they are hurting and need far more than just $10 more a year from their userbase.

Smoke6

The bill will come due some way some how! You just don’t spend money printing them cards and shit and just reverse course in less than a day!

That $10 was gonna help with a lot of loss costs and now something gotta give!

Stock up while y’all can

They did not expect that whiplash. Finally free to play is free. Fuck. I can buy shitty cheap xbox ones to all my little cousins now. Felt so bad giving them out to my cousins cause they are dirt cheap but then they basically has to play for xbox live.

/mind blown
This is why I just laugh at people who justify a company doing something stupid by saying, "It's not stupid. They are experts. They know what they are doing." These are the same experts who thought making mandatory Kinect and 24 hour check-ins for the launch XB1 were good ideas. There is something clearly wrong with Microsoft's decision making process that they can't spot these clusterf#cks a mile off. At least this time they could do 180 in record time without dragging it out. Unfortunately for them, this disaster laid bare their intentions.

Complaining actually works. This should be a lesson for all the corporate apologists that were okay with being bent over and fucked by Phil.

They wouldn't have reversed this decision if the backlash they got wasn't huge and now gamers get the bonus of them finally unlocking free to play games from behind paywalls.

Last edited:

/mind blown
Dude, this is the same corporation that changed it’s stance from always online for their console after like a couple weeks of backlash. They literally changed how their console worked.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Literally the difference between me keeping and selling my Xbox.

I’m really glad they are moving in line with Sony and Nintendo re: free to play.

Dunno WTF happened today. Well, I do. They tried to fuck me. Was it team Xbox or was it a move by the MS board? Same end result I suppose.

Glad everyone kicked up a shit storm online, literally only saw a handful try to excuse this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What a rollercoaster

Top Bottom