• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nj police chief suspended after footage of black teens being herded out of community

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
this sounds like sarcasm. so just out of curiosity: Is your thesis that all cops are bad or are you trying to say that "not all cops are bad" is used as an argument to distract from the real issue at hand?

While, yes, that is a broad stroke, show me the american cops that are rooting out this festering cancer.

JB1981

So these black boys were actually from Maplewood and forced into neighboring Irvington? Presumably so they would be with the rest of their kind? Am I reading this story correctly?

What were these black boys doing on the 4th? Were they shooting fireworks? Were they causing trouble? Were they just out and about enjoying the holiday? This article is really light on details. They were simply forcibly removed from their own town into a neighboring predominantly black and poor town because .... ?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Awful. Disgusting that it took so long.

Your "feelings" are invalidated by basic geography.

I dont know anything about NJ but it doesn't seem far fetched. "Northern Virginia" is a very small portion of the top most part of the state.

rjinaz

yeah I know, i'm sorry. just always irks me when an important discussion immediately gets derailed.

The approach maybe wrong, but the point it makes up is perhaps the most important point. It's not a one cop problem, or even a one department problem. It's the police unions, the cops that never say anything or don't feel they can in secret, the laws (that seem to be made every week anymore) that protect them. Like I said, the entire institution protects officers that behave this way, there is no deterrent when the most you fear is an extended paid vacation.

Anyway, sorry for the tude.

I dont know anything about NJ but it doesn't seem far fetched. "Northern Virginia" is a very small portion of the top most part of the state.

You don't know anything about the state, so why bother commenting about it? For one, there is a mostly accepted definition of what Northern Virginia and North Jersey are. You don't just make up an arbitrary new one based on feelings.

Draxal

He's being incredibly far-fetched, jersey City and Newark wouldn't be considered north jersey by his rules and they are definitely north jersey.

Here's a non jerseyan guide to what is north and south jersey.

North gets NYC tv, South gets Philly tv.

So these black boys were actually from Maplewood and forced into neighboring Irvington? Presumably so they would be with the rest of their kind? Am I reading this story correctly?
I guess...its especially dumb because there is a significant black population in that town, and all towns surrounding it.

He's being incredibly far-fetched, jersey City and Newark wouldn't be considered north jersey by his rules and they are definitely north jersey.

80 runs in to 95, which hits new york at the george washington bridge, which is up in the Bronx. So everything south of the Bronx is parallel with the deep south.

Royce McCutcheon

What were these black boys doing on the 4th? Were they shooting fireworks? Were they causing trouble? Were they just out and about enjoying the holiday? This article is really light on details. They were simply forcibly removed from their own town into a neighboring predominantly black and poor town because .... ?

Literal trail of tears. The one who got punched were trying to go back to their houses lol

Here's a non jerseyan guide to what is north and south jersey.

North gets NYC tv, South gets Philly tv.

And Central gets both

snap0212

As always, there’s something wrong with your entire police force if there’s some shit going on every single week. All of them. Every single one of them should be replaced by a capable person and this time, allow smart people as well.

Maybe replace them with the experienced policemen who usually get chased out of town for speaking up.

R0ckman

What?'! That's insane. Theee should be zero-tolerance policy for this shit.

He's SLIGHTLY exaggerating, but its not a moral concept to them. They know they are doing something viewed as bad but they feel like they need to do this, so the guilt distorts their minds to a point that they feel like they are the true victims. When you get to that point you are mentally finished and pretty much start self destructing sociologically.

And people will keep ignoring this shit cause they couldn’t care less. This is the shit that gets me, Chris Pratt’s divorce is on 5 pages but this thread struggles to hit 1, tells you all you need to know. People don’t give a shit about black people.

R0ckman

You can search NJ police cheif corruption, there should be an occurence in 2014 where it was really bad. Including false statistic reports. Place sounds like its a damn mess.

You can search NJ police cheif corruption, there should be an occurence in 2014 where it was really bad. Including false statistic reports. Place sounds like its a damn mess.

giphy.gif

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Because they darker skin. That's about it.

Ironically enough Maplewood is considered to be one of the most progressive "nice" towns in the area. Really surprising to read this.

If a town is considered progressive always tread lightly on believing all of it, especially for NJ. Even though it often votes democrat in presidential races it certainly is more on the republican side.

The whole police organizations need huge fucking reform. Not even sure it's possible though
I said it before and I’ll say it again, you don’t reform what isn’t broken and the law enforcement in America isn’t broke. It’s working the way people want it to.

We’re constantly shown how little black lives matter.

Edit: thread still on page 1😂

Ugh. And my wife and I were considering moving to NJ. This is some shit I'd expect from Mississippi.

I said it before and I'll say it again, you don't reform what isn't broken and the law enforcement in America isn't broke. It's working the way people want it to.

We're constantly shown how little black lives matter.

Exactly. Black lives don't mean shit but if we verbally complain about it then mainstream America gets upset. BLM pisses them off but this doesn't.

Edit: thread still on page 1��

Hard for even the most contrarian motherfucker to try and spin this into "we don't know all the facts yet...let's wait".

Mahonay

Banned
I said it before and I’ll say it again, you don’t reform what isn’t broken and the law enforcement in America isn’t broke. It’s working the way people want it to.

We’re constantly shown how little black lives matter.
:( yeah.

But also, all the more reason to never back down on the issue and call out this nationwide oppression.

Kill3r7

If a town is considered progressive always tread lightly on believing all of it, especially for NJ. Even though it often votes democrat in presidential races it certainly is more on the republican side.

Given the demographics, I think only South Orange is more diverse. I agree that most nice towns in NJ trend red.

FWIW, the town officials called for his immediate resignation. Doubt that would happen in Mississippi.

I feel you. But to me that's too little too late. This shit shouldn't be happening in the first place. Not in NJ. Not in America. Not in the world. Not in 2017.

I can't even say "oh well I have a little girl cops won't be like that with her" when I see videos of motherfuckers tackling black girls and body slamming them in classrooms like it's fucking super-bowl.

This ain't even aimed at you, I get what you're saying. Just disgusting to continue to see.

I feel you. But to me that's too little too late. This shit shouldn't be happening in the first place. Not in NJ. Not in America. Not in the world. Not in 2017.

I can't even say "oh well I have a little girl cops won't be like that with her" when I see videos of motherfuckers tackling black girls and body slamming them in classrooms like it's fucking super-bowl.

This ain't even aimed at you, I get what you're saying. Just disgusting to continue to see.

I hear you. I know you got a kid so if I was you, I would see this being my kid in 10-15 years. Not worth it.

A lot of people in the thread needs to learn about how unions work. As much as we'd love to fire these folks, they are protected within their unions. The best option is suspension with pay.

But they need to create contracts that affect an officer's pay based on performance. Something like if the governing board for a particular county or town passes a unanimous no-confidence vote would be grounds for an automatic demotion with suspension and compelling them to resign.

If you start messing with their money, they will start to comply.

Ugh. And my wife and I were considering moving to NJ. This is some shit I'd expect from Mississippi.

I know you're likely being hyperbolic, but NJ is by no means like Mississippi (Even the poorest areas don't touch it). Unfortunately this kind of behavior is not unusual all over the US, even in more "liberal" sections.

Top Bottom