• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh director: No current plans for Nioh 3, but hopes to return to series in the future | Ninja Gaiden news coming soon

Mista

Banned
Nioh-2-Ends-Production1.jpg

There are currently no plans to make a Nioh 3, but Nioh series director Fumihiko Yasuda would like to return to the series at some point in the future, he told The Gamer in a newly published interview:
In terms of a sequel right now, Team Ninja would like to focus on working on new titles, so there really isn’t a plan for Nioh 3 at this point. But after creating some new projects and gaining some new experience and skills from those new potential projects, I would like to go back to the series at some point, utilize all the experience and new skills that we gain from some new projects, and then potentially, go back into the series at that point, and create an even greater game to surpass Nioh and Nioh 2 and to create something even better
There are no current plans for the Nioh series to be on Xbox consoles at this point, but of course the Ninja Gaiden series has had a long history on Microsoft‘s consoles. So if there was to be a new title in the Ninja Gaiden series in the future, we’d definitely like that to be on Xbox consoles.

Speaking of the Ninja Gaiden series, Yasuda told The Gamer to look out for news regarding the series in the “near future.”
Nothing to announce or note specifically this time, but if the Ninja Gaiden series hadn’t existed, then there wouldn’t have been a Nioh series. So that’s a really important series to Team Ninja. While we don’t have anything specific to announce at this time, I would like to say just look forward to some potential news for some kind of announcement in the near future.

The developer again teased Ninja Gaiden when asked about series protagonist Ryu Hayabusa.
Yeah, so that character is the most important character from all of our franchises. So, considering he’s so important, I would definitely like to have him make an appearance again in a game coming soon, and I would like to announce details about that in the future, as soon as possible.

Yasuda also touched upon the newest generation of consoles, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series. Having already worked on PlayStation 5 with the upcoming release of Nioh Collection, Yasuda cited improvements with the SSD and faster load times as notable upgrades
I would like to try and take on an open-world style game in the future. So that’s definitely something that I think this new hardware will give us the ability to try out.

Speaking to Video Game Chronicle, Yasuda added:
Team Ninja as a whole would specifically like to take on the open world genre. But we feel at this point that there haven’t really been open world games with a lot of intensity, which are really action-packed from beginning to end. So we’d like to actually take that on as a potential challenge in the future, and try to put a new spin on the open world genre in that regard.
Gematsu

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So they want to continue Ninja Gaiden but they also want to create an open world game with a lot of action and intensity

An open world Ninja Gaiden for PS5 and the XSX would be amazing running and jumping from rooftop to rooftop would be great

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I believe the excellent Nioh character creator is going to be featured in the upcoming Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires, so a little bit of Nioh still going on at least.

Arachnid

God, I need Ninja Gaiden back in my life. I wasn't a fan of Nioh (though I do plan to play the second eventually), so no big loss there.

That said, I hope it's not open world. I would love it to adopt the connected world design from Souls-like games though. I feel like that would be a good fit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
NiOh 2 is an excellent game. There’s even more good news with the next gen ports being free if you already own the game.

Another Ninja Gaiden. I have a lot of thoughts on that. I wasn’t a huge fan of NG3:RE. There’s so much room for improvement. I hope they focus on replay-ability and customization. I’d love to see another ninja trial get added to the game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Speaking of the Ninja Gaiden series, Yasuda told The Gamer to look out for news regarding the series in the “near future.”
Nothing to announce or note specifically this time, but if the Ninja Gaiden series hadn’t existed, then there wouldn’t have been a Nioh series. So that’s a really important series to Team Ninja. While we don’t have anything specific to announce at this time, I would like to say just look forward to some potential news for some kind of announcement in the near future.
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

YukiOnna

Happy Nioh 2 won't be the absolute end of the franchise and they aren't planning on spamming a new iteration frequently. I'm okay with them taking a break with it till the time is right, but hopefully not too long.

S0ULZB0URNE

There are currently no plans to make a Nioh 3, but Nioh series director Fumihiko Yasuda would like to return to the series at some point in the future, he told The Gamer in a newly published interview:

The developer again teased Ninja Gaiden when asked about series protagonist Ryu Hayabusa.

Yasuda also touched upon the newest generation of consoles, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series. Having already worked on PlayStation 5 with the upcoming release of Nioh Collection, Yasuda cited improvements with the SSD and faster load times as notable upgrades

Gematsu
Eh did you read the whole thing?

Are there plans for a new Ninja Gaiden game then?

[laughs] No plans currently, but I’ve always wanted to make a new instalment in the series, so here’s hoping for that!

Mista

Banned
Eh did you read the whole thing?

Are there plans for a new Ninja Gaiden game then?

[laughs] No plans currently, but I’ve always wanted to make a new instalment in the series, so here’s hoping for that!
No I didn’t. He also said:
While we don’t have anything specific to announce at this time, I would like to say just look forward to some potential news for some kind of announcement in the near future.

Pejo

Shame, I actually like the Nioh games way more than every Ninja Gaiden since Sigma 1. If they try to give us another NG3, they can just not bother, what a shitshow that game was. Also kinda bummer news considering I'm just about to be able to play Nioh 2 for the first time in a few weeks when it releases on PC.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Shame, I actually like the Nioh games way more than every Ninja Gaiden since Sigma 1. If they try to give us another NG3, they can just not bother, what a shitshow that game was. Also kinda bummer news considering I'm just about to be able to play Nioh 2 for the first time in a few weeks when it releases on PC.

Not really. Nioh2 pretty much stretches the formula as far as it can go, its full to bursting as it is with all the new Yokai abilities and weapon types.

The logical next step is a more connected open-world type of thing, but that wouldn't play to Nioh's strengths as a combat sandbox. I'm sure they can take what they've learned and apply it to a new theme and setting and come out with a winner.

Nioh as a franchise has never been given the credit it deserves, its always been much more than a Soul's clone.

Hudo

Didn't he also say at one interview that NiOh isn't necessarily restricted to medieval/mythological Japan? Like he could imagine exploring other settings down the line.

D.Final

Banned

Gematsu
I hope for a more open and connected game, next time

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I hope for a more open and connected game, next time

Why would that make it better though?

The funny thing is the open/connected world thing is the usual, and Nioh's old-school levels and side-missions are the outlier. I'm not sure that the series would benefit from being more like everything else!

YukiOnna

Why would that make it better though?

The funny thing is the open/connected world thing is the usual, and Nioh's old-school levels and side-missions are the outlier. I'm not sure that the series would benefit from being more like everything else!
They actually did consider Open World/Interconnected for Nioh 2 but scrapped it due to technical limitations. IIRC he mentioned he would reconsider the idea whenever for next-gen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They actually did consider Open World/Interconnected for Nioh 2 but scrapped it due to technical limitations. IIRC he mentioned he would reconsider the idea whenever for next-gen.

I know they did, but it really doesn't answer my question. Why, exactly, would it be a better fit? Nioh isn't that much of a story based game, and making it the same as everything else doesn't strike me as being any sort of improvement.

In fact all it'd do is make the Souls' comparison more accurate and would distract from it being its own thing.

YukiOnna

I know they did, but it really doesn't answer my question. Why, exactly, would it be a better fit? Nioh isn't that much of a story based game, and making it the same as everything else doesn't strike me as being any sort of improvement.

In fact all it'd do is make the Souls' comparison more accurate and would distract from it being its own thing.
If I had to say, people probably do want it similar to Dark Souls with the interconnected world and any place is accessible in a seamless manner. I don't think the level design would change too much, but it'd be cool to have one "large" area for each province we visit. But I'm looking at things from a setting pov.

Retinoid

Nioh 2 was great, but it's obvious they weren't sure what to do with the game and decided to make something more akin to Nioh 1.5 than make any major changes. Do you cave in to the pressure and remove some aspects that were a core part to the original game, such as the loot system, or do you keep it the same for the people who loved it? Nioh was definitely a divisive game and I think this is where the issue comes from. Some people loved for its grindy loot and stat heavy nature, while others hated it. I think Team Ninja were in the same predicament internally and in the end decided to play it safe by keeping things more or less the same. And for a lot of people, it was TOO similar for its own good. I am curious to see where they can take the series after a long hiatus. If the interconnected/openworld tidbit is true then Nioh 3 could be quite interesting in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom