• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 Remastered - 14 minutes of PS5 gameplay at 4k/60

Here's a good long look at Nioh 2 Remastered running on PS5 (destructoid.com)

edit: alternative vid source, still available at 4l/60 playback

A rapidly-moving action-RPG like Nioh 2 needs to be as crisp, fluid, and legible as possible, and I'd say Team Ninja is in a good place with next month's Nioh 2 Remastered for PlayStation 5. The studio shared 14 minutes of uninterrupted footage – the entirety of the first main-story mission, The Village of Cursed Blossoms – and I'll never turn down a chance to see someone pummel Gozuki. Especially a dev!

The Nioh series isn't known for its visuals, but I'm enjoying this 4K60 footage all the same. There's also the matter of faster load times, particularly for respawns after death.

With free upgrades being expected but not always delivered, it's worth noting that Nioh 2 Remastered is a free upgrade for Nioh 2 PS4 players, and that goes for any of the DLC packs you might own, too.

Looks pretty damn good to me, watching on a 4k display. I am excited. I didn't buy it at launch, was waiting for it to come to PC, but I will happily be playing it on PS5 in a couple weeks. Load times look pretty crispy too, nice.

(sorry if this is old, I did a search and combed through the last 5 pages, didn't see it. It was uploaded early today)

-----------------------------

PS4 Pro vs PS5 comparison

Looks smooth as FUCK on PS5

Last edited:
Really nice that it's a free update. Just not sure I'll have the time to go back to it with so many games coming out.

Last edited:

jakdex

I hate that the next-gen/PC version release date is February, man it would be amazing to grind on the PC version on this slow January.

Amazing game, I just wish Nioh was also a free upgrade.

I was gonna buy the collection on PS5 but not sure I want to play through Nioh again. I loved it, but feel like I got my fill with it on my PS4 Pro.

Really excited to finally play Nioh 2 though. Most likely gonna plat it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this game harder than sekiro?
You have to rely on equipment than being at a certain level. You have a lot of different builds. Stats boost the strength of a weapon. Pouring a lot of points into one stat because it scales with your weapon. Scrolls and ninjitsu skills aid you in your journey. There are 40+ Bosses in Nioh 2. Some things are easier than others. You’ll find yourself destroying everything one minute and then getting one/two shotted the next. There are builds that make it a cake walk, but you’re following someone else’s work IMO. Poison and the ninja build are OP, but find something that works for you.

Sekiro is pretty much skill based because you don’t have as nearly as many skills, magic, weapon, and stat points to work with. I do like both games. NiOh 2 has a lot to offer if you enjoy what you’ve seen so far. It’s an excellent game. I personally enjoy the missions a lot more than the original. It makes grinding a lot better.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Much easier, in my opinion.
Hahaha.
No.

Nioh and Nioh 2 are by no definition easy games. Nioh 2 is a lot smoother in the sense that there are fewer real hard skill/knowlege-check encounters that block progression, but go far enough and you will hit your limit.

Case in point, the patch from a few days ago added a further 25 floors to the underworld depths and a lot of people are rage-quitting because even after hundreds of hours invested these bosses are handing their asses to them.

Arachnid

Hahaha.
No.

Nioh and Nioh 2 are by no definition easy games. Nioh 2 is a lot smoother in the sense that there are fewer real hard skill/knowlege-check encounters that block progression, but go far enough and you will hit your limit.

Case in point, the patch from a few days ago added a further 25 floors to the underworld depths and a lot of people are rage-quitting because even after hundreds of hours invested these bosses are handing their asses to them.
I can't speak for 2, but Nioh 1 was nowhere near Sekiro in difficulty. The enemy combat patterns (bosses included) were too predictable.

stn

Hahaha.
No.

I don't think Nioh 2 is easy per se, but I do find it easy compared to Sekiro. There was never any point in Nioh 2 where I really struggled. I've been running through DotW difficulty and I've had the same build since day one. Same plan, too: mid stance spear, spam thrust attack. And if you get stuck too much? Summon help. Or just grind for better gear, and you make certain fights trivial.

I got all the trophies in Nioh 1, and I'm getting there with Nioh 2 (got the plat, just cleaning up the DLC). Its not easy but its okay.

EDIT: To add, I've only summoned help once even though I have played over 160 hours. And that's only because I was too lazy to grind and wanted to cheese a boss.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This isn't a helpful answer but it's "different." It's a different kind of challenge.

Nioh gets lumped into "Soulslike" but really other than being really hard, in general, it doesn't really play like a From game. IMO, anyway.
It plays pretty close to Bloodborne, IMO. But also BB didn’t play like your standard Souls weight.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The honest truth is a lot of people got stonewalled at Hino-Enma (bat bitch) on Nioh 1, basically because you had to figure out a way to mitigate her paralysis attacks, overlevel madly to take the hits, or simply never make a mistake. Its a harsh game, way more so than any of the Souls' games.

Long term in that game Way Of The Wise was a massive uptick in difficulty, and naturally Way Of The Nioh and the Abyss were even more difficult. The latter especially so because you couldn't even co-op past the challenge as going in more than solo added extra bosses to the crucible encounters.

A key thing to bear in mind when discussing Nioh 1 is that playing the Vanilla original release, and the complete edition are very different experiences. Originally there were no level/stat caps per game-cycle so you could basically grind until you were God-tier, however as the add-ons were introduced caps were instituted to prevent this forcing the player to beat each successive difficulty cycle within preset limitations. On top of this nearly every cheese-build got nerfed (no infinite Yokai shift, no shurikens for obscene damage etc.) forcing the player to really figure out the mechanics.

In truth I think this kinda got away from TN slightly and they ended up making the difficulty a bit too much for a lot of players, and with Nioh 2 they stated upfront that their goal was to make it spicy but not too unpalatable.

So yeah, Nioh 2 for the most part is a lot less taxing. That being said they've have added high challenge content outside of the main campaign path, so although getting through to Dream Of The Nioh is substantially easier, if you start dabbling with the side-stuff its still going to tax you hard. I'm talking about things like Picture Scroll battles and the Underworld and Depths.

Obviously quite how tough you are going to find the going is heavily dependant upon how well you know the game's many systems and mechanics. But even then, you'll likely find yourself thinking about changing stuff up at times because most builds and strats have a limited life-span.

Personally I like that with a good build and a maxed lvl 750 char I can face-roll Dream Of The Nioh and feel madly powerful, but then get to level 6 in the depths and feel like a worthless scrub because the difficulty is so jacked!

And as I believe the final patch is yet to roll-out alongside the release of the PS5/PC versions, its entirely possible that the ultimate challenges are yet to be added.

Its always been a bit of a shame that despite both games having a pretty active community, and lots of info on YT and Reddit and the like, you have to be aware that an awful lot of the ideal "meta" builds simply no longer work effectively.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Worth every penny.

These games are sensational.

I'm not a fan of the £70 game thing in general but this is one of the few franchises that are worth the fee of admission.

I'm not having a dig at the quality of these games. I just think it's ridiculous that you're expected to pay £15 more than RE8 will cost for a simple up res and frame rate boost of games worth about about £30 combined.

If Sony weren't publishing this it would be £40 at most.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not having a dig at the quality of these games. I just think it's ridiculous that you're expected to pay £15 more than RE8 will cost for a simple up res and frame rate boost of games worth about about £30 combined.

If you already own them you get a free upgrade no?

For newcomers to the series £70 is very much worth the price of admission. If you want to buy Nioh 2 plus Nioh 1 on PC it will set you back around the same price.
If you don't think its worth it, like always you can wait for a sale.

Considering the package I don't think this is the game to be having this discussion around. Returnal on the other hand...

What are you smoking, lad? I want some of stuff.

Hudo

Just a heads up for people coming from "Soulsborne" games. This is not a game like that even if it might look like it. If you approach it like a Soulsborne, you gonna have a bad time, IMHO.

Vangellis

I know others have chimed in on this already but Nioh 2 is hard but not in the same way Sekiro is. This might be a polarizing for fans of the game to hear, but I felt Nioh 2 was filled with way more bullshit hits, ambushes, cheap grapples and bosses with way too much health. I felt the difficulty was more artificial then souls games. I've beaten all the souls games as well as Nioh, and Nioh 2. It's a very different game than souls and I'm not sure I can say if you like Souls games you will enjoy it. I personally like the Souls games way more, and Sekiro for me is in a different league.

That being said, Nioh 2 is a game with deep combat and systems, and way more going on then Souls games. Every weapon has a huge skill tree etc. I would argue that Nioh 2 has way too many systems and its like nobody on the team said no to an idea or mechanic.. they just said yeah fuck it put it in. Although if you love really complicated systems with high replay and challenging gameplay give it a try. Just don't expect Sekiro at all.

Last edited:
I know others have chimed in on this already but Nioh 2 is hard but not in the same way Sekiro is. This might be a polarizing for fans of the game to hear, but I felt Nioh 2 was filled with way more bullshit hits, ambushes, cheap grapples and bosses with way too much health. I felt the difficulty was more artificial then souls games. I've beaten all the souls games as well as Nioh, and Nioh 2. It's a very different game than souls and I'm not sure I can say if you like Souls games you will enjoy it. I personally like the Souls games way more, and Sekiro for me is in a different league.

That being said, Nioh 2 is a game with deep combat and systems, and way more going on then Souls games. Every weapon has a huge skill tree etc. I would argue that Nioh 2 has way too many systems and its like nobody on the team said no to an idea or mechanic.. they just said yeah fuck it put it in. Although if you love really complicated systems with high replay and challenging gameplay give it a try. Just don't expect Sekiro at all.

Great post, you summed up the different kind of difficulty I was trying to imply in my earlier post better than I could have summed it up.

It's just different. Much more ARPG oriented systems than From games.

Does anyone know the difference between PS5 Standard mode and 4k Mode? I assume Standard is lower resolution but how low? What settings does it enhance? Doesn't seem explained very well.

Freeman76

Doesnt look a great deal different to me, probably one of the more unnecessary upgrades I've seen. When you compare this to GoW, GoT, HM 1&2 etc its not even in the same league

Freeman76

To begin with it is yes. Nioh 2 is brutal until you start getting your Ki (stamina) sorted out. I'm a mega souls fan, platted them all, and this is harder than any of them to begin with.

Sekiro I cant comment as I felt that game was Souls without the fun. No co op etc.

Once you get going on Nioh 2 though, you can become a lot more OP than any souls game would allow. I would almost put it alongside Diablo in the sense they allow almost gamebreaking builds in this. You will summon ppl who kill bosses so fast it makes you wonder how they do it 😂😂

TonyK

I finished first Nioh but gave up in some DLC boss. I found it super difficult, very frustrating at some points, specially boss fights. There are too many bosses for my taste. But reading Gaf it seems it as easy as an Assassin's creed game. People, it's a hard game, as Sekiro. If it's fine with you go and play it, I did it, but if you found Sekiro difficult and frustrating, this is a similar experience.

sircaw

Banned
Some of those videos look so stunning, I only managed to get up to the spider boss in Nioh one but this makes me wanna give it another go.

Tbh i was a little overwhelmed by the amount of loot the first game had, sometimes i got confused on what was better or not with so many stats on items, i guess the second one will be the same.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some of those videos look so stunning, I only managed to get up to the spider boss in Nioh one but this makes me wanna give it another go.

Tbh i was a little overwhelmed by the amount of loot the first game had, sometimes i got confused on what was better or not with so many stats on items, i guess the second one will be the same.
During NG you don’t have to worry about the blacksmith very much. You can disassemble most items you get unless they go with your build of course. I personally like it in NiOh 2. It gives me a Diablo type of feeling to the game. You can restat your character if you think you made the wrong build.

I highly recommend NiOh 2 because it takes so many aspects of the first one, but there are significant changes that really boost your character. Only use stats to boost your weapon and meet the requirements of armor. That’s the simplest way I could put it.

I accidentally deleted the PS4 version before uploading my save. You have to upload your PS4 save in the PS4 version of the game within Settings. It’s not done by just having the save on your console. Then you can download or transfer it on the Remastered version of NiOh 2. Then you can delete the PS4 version and just use the remaster. Make sure you have the DLC installed too when you do your save upload. Otherwise it won’t think you have rights to the add-ons. Don’t delete the PS4 version on your HD until you know for sure the save transferred. Use the three dots “...” on the PS5 menu to switch between the PS4 and the Remastered version.

When I loaded my PS4 save on the Remastered version of NiOh 2. It started unlocking all the Trophies. I had a ton of screenshots of trophies and they were unlocked for me again. I’m not sure what would have happened had I just started a new game, but now the same exact trophies are completed in the Remastered version.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
So far this “Remastered“ version seems to be very bare bones.
> 4K mode has pop-in issues very close to the player.
> PS5 mode has shadow pop-in and -flickering in some levels. Graphics dont seem much improved either.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So far this “Remastered“ version seems to be very bare bones.
> 4K mode has pop-in issues very close to the player.
> PS5 mode has shadow pop-in and -flickering in some levels. Graphics dont seem much improved either.
The only thing that's anything like a remaster is the original Nioh, the last part of Nioh 2's DLC expansions came out in December. Its just a port.

KiteGr

I didn't buy Nioh 2 because of the DLC, as I want everything on the disc.
Are there any retail releases planned for those 2 remasters?

Top Bottom