• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh 2 - Developer Gameplay Trailer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Finding it tough to make it through the Nioh 2 Last Chance Trial alive?

Let the producer of the game give you some inside tips for surviving the Mount Tenno stage.

Arachnid

I'm playing through the first right now. I like the combat, but the level design is abysmal and there aren't many enemy types. In fact, I'm pretty sure that tongue oni in the video has the exact same moveset and animations he does in the first, which seems lazy. It's also not a very graphically impressive game (though I don't really mind this).

For those who have been keeping up with the gameplay released for the second, how does level design and enemy variety compare so far?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm playing through the first right now. I like the combat, but the level design is abysmal and there aren't many enemy types. In fact, I'm pretty sure that tongue oni in the video has the exact same moveset and animations he does in the first, which seems lazy. It's also not a very graphically impressive game (though I don't really mind this).

For those who have been keeping up with the gameplay released for the second, how does level design and enemy variety compare so far?

Enemy variety in the first game was fine, its just that it was heavily biased towards human enemies, with relatively few Yokai types mixed in. Probably because the original intent was to lean harder on the Sengoku era setting - remember it was based on an unfilmed Kurosawa script after all!.

The DLC zones added post-release showed TN moving away from that and from the looks the sequel flips it on its head with the folkloric enemies and bosses being dominant. Nioh2 has way more Yokai of all types than the original.

Not sure why you'd think the level design in Nioh was abysmal, but the sequel seems to offer more complexity and verticality. Yes it still punishes every slip, failure to check for ambushes and traps, but without that all the Ninjutsu and magical stealth/surprise attack abilities wouldn't have value!

Bottom line is that Nioh's just super old-school "gamey". Levels are designed to be replayed and learnt with the depth coming from how versatile and fun the combat/rpg mechanics are. To me, bringing up the amount of visual variety is missing how different fighting the same enemy feels as you both level up in power and loadout.

iiStryker

Neo Member
Played through the first game with Kusarigama. I want to love this franchise but there are some design choices I’m not particularly fond of. Namely the way loot is RNG and the way crafting works within that and I don’t like the way stats are handled. The RPG elements feel like an afterthought. RNG is possibly the worst mechanic in games and the laziest way to keep your players engaged.

When it comes to level design I think most are comparing it to Souls. From does a much better job of world building than TN imo especially when drawing comparisons from DS3 to Nioh.

Nioh is also very gamey with its levels and Souls games mostly feel like real places.

nioh leans more towards Action and less RPG too. Sure you get points to allocate for every time you level but you can’t distribute them as broadly as in souls. Most of your points are going directly into the attribute associated with your weapon of choice at least that’s how it works in Nioh 1.

with the way they handle loot you spend more time managing your inventory then you do playing at least that’s the way I felt most of the time I was playing the first game

Gamernyc78

Banned
Put in tons of hours into the first although things get repetitive and stale towards the end. Yesterday beat every level in the Nioh 2 Last Trial demo. Will be picking this up day one of course 😊

Last edited:

The Shepard

Put in tons of hours into the first although things get repetitive and stale towards the end. Yesterday beat every level in the Nioh 2 Last Trial demo. Will be picking this up day one of course 😊

I'm the same. Thought I'd not be up for the sequel after completing the last game plus dlc and feeling the burn but fell in love with the demo during the last chance trial. Definitely day one.

Last edited:

NT80

Enemy variety was one of my biggest issues with Nioh 1 and it's something they've acknowledged. From what I played of the previous trial of Nioh 2 there is quite a lot more enemy variety which really helps. These new enemies are interesting too. Hopefully they can keep that going over the course of the whole game. Level design was also an improvement.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom