• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's "Withered Technology" Philosophy in hardware literally means: "Wait until its cheap / avoid cutting edge" and gamer's are still upset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

Nintendo does this for profit margins and over charging the customer in doing so. It has nothing to do with it being easier to work with. If anything sticking to such antiquated tech means they will be behind the entire industry. Once they decide to finally use more updated tech they’ll be stuck still wondering how to make games with more modern engines and techniques.
Over charging can't be a thing if millions of people are willing to pay for your hardware, thats not how it works. The Switch offers experiences you won't get anywhere else including its hybrid feature.

The narrative that Nintendo systems and games aren't worth their price doesn't reflect reality at all.

Tbh i do miss when Nintendo made really cheap systems like the GameBoy and first DS, console gaming in general is becoming really expensive

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecube growing up.
I also had a Gamecube growing up:
26 90+ games on Gamecube, 10 by Nintendo, two of those are Zelda compilations though. One is OOT and MM on one disk, the other also has the NES games.
20 90+ games on Switch, 6 by Nintendo.

98 80-90 games on Gamecube, 13 by Nintendo.
316 80-90 games on Switch, 25 by Nintendo.

Gamecube is done, Switch still has some years and games left.

Sorcerer

Nintendo has found a niche, and it works for them. They have amazing first party franchises you cannot play elsewhere. Nintendo wouldn't be here today if they competed on specs. Either you dig them or you don't, there are plenty of other options. I Imagine the Nintendo Warchest is like Smaug's lair in the Hobbit and Myamoto and company visit it and roll around in the mountains of Gold. What reason do they have to change?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The problem is that people will not care because no matter what people will buy into it only because they have the games like Mario or Zelda. These games are well-known and are the reasons why Nintendo doesn't have to lift a finger in attempting to achieve what others are achieving and also because to this day devs are still able to port over some major games to the Nintendo Switch. Because let's be real when devs can't continue to port over any game on the Switch because of lack of power then we will see Nintendo in action. But in the meantime, nothing will change till something drastic changes for them.
Thats only a 'problem' in your head though, Nintendo clearly understands their market and decided to focus on mobile hardware, there is no reason for them to match Xbox or PlayStation because if they go in that direction they know they can't win.Nintendo knew Switch was a risk because it wouldn't be able to handle all latest AAA games.

Also people only buy Nintendo for Mario or Zelda is not true at all, the Wii U had HD Nintendo games, very good even.that didn't help it.Switch is appealing enough to all gamers from enthusiast to casual, young and old

Also, Nintendo is always working on new hardware and noticing market trends,their priority is to market games for Switch right now but it won't be long until they start talking Switch 2, even if that doesn't match Xbox Series or PS5 obviously it should get more third party games and a healthy life.no point in rushing though, it has to be good 👌

Last edited:
While I agree with the rest of your post, this part is just not true anymore since a decade or more... Lots of PC games come from consoles primarily or offer proper controller support, I know because that's at least the time I've been playing PC as primary platform since forever, and before 2008 or so finding proper controller support was very hit or miss. These days I just hook my PC to my TV and play from the couch with a controller
Console games =/= portable games.

The Playstation Vita and PSP prove this.

You can't just slap COD on a portable and expect it to comprise a desirable experience.

Look at the types of games most popular on Nintendo's and Sony portable consoles? They're distinctly different in design from those on home consoles.

Portable games are a distinct class of games in and of themselves. And so far, only Nintendo seems to have been successful in understanding, consistently creating and cultivating these types of experiences for their platforms.

MagnesG

Banned
My entire point was that Nintendo should never adopt the same strategy as Sony and MS and now that they are moving in that direction they are in danger. You aren't reading anything I'm writing.
What evidence did you think that points out Nintendo adopting the same strategy as Sony/MS? What direction? I am reading but if change out your point too much then of course I'm not gonna catch it.

xBlueStonex

The problem is that you forgot the last step:
4 - Sell the outdated hardware for the price of premium hardware $.

This is what people keep forgetting. Hardware prices go down exponentially with time - that's why you can now pickup a 2017 processor for a fraction of what it cost at release. Considering the Switch internals are remaining untouched (CPU/GPU/RAM), the cost to manufacture this is going to be incredibly cheaper than it was in 2017, and yet Nintendo STILL going to sell this at $300+. The fans defending this are absolutely insane.

Spacefish

What evidence did you think that points out Nintendo adopting the same strategy as Sony/MS? What direction? I am reading but if change out your point too much then of course I'm not gonna catch it.
The switch has more in common with the vita than the 3ds, it's the console all the people who love pre Wii Nintendo were clamouring for and ironically its the thing all the people obsessed with the hardware race wanted, a console without a "gimmick", there is a strong desire for Nintendo to play the specs game and stop fucking about with weird tech, release another pointless box that is just a gimped pc or phone. The switch is the biggest concession since they exited the dead end arms race. like I said before, the 3ds may never be satisfactorily emulated because the 3d screen is now strange, discontinued magic tech. Even the DS and its dual screen touch focus is hard to emulate, you have to own these systems to get the proper experience. The Wii pioneered motion controls which will eventually reach fruition with VR, these are risky, boundary pushing ideas.

The switch is just a powerful Gameboy advance with a HDMI port, they are playing the handheld specs game. As soon as a more powerful machine comes along all Nintendos flaws become obvious, their strange idiosyncrasies come across as outdated thinking. Since they have put all their eggs in one basket the room for experimentation is also drastically reduced, I don't expect something as crazy as the Wii or 3ds to come out of Nintendo again and until valve made a serious competitor I was absolutely sure they were going to shit out a switch 2 with a new processor, charge double what it was worth then call it a day.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The current CEO previously worked in finance and it shows, because from a business point of view Nintendo is doing everything correct with their pricing and obviously a lot of people think it's worth the price, otherwise it wouldn't keep on selling.

You can also get a cheap Switch Lite for 170 bucks if price is such a big concern to you.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The switch is just a powerful Gameboy advance with a HDMI port, they are playing the handheld specs game. As soon as a more powerful machine comes along all Nintendos flaws become obvious, their strange idiosyncrasies come across as outdated thinking. Since they have put all their eggs in one basket the room for experimentation is also drastically reduced, I don't expect something as crazy as the Wii or 3ds to come out of Nintendo again and until valve made a serious competitor I was absolutely sure they were going to shit out a switch 2 with a new processor, charge double what it was worth then call it a day.
If the Steam Deck manages to sell 5 million or more by the end of 2022 that would be an incredible result, especially compared to other handheld PCs, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'll get a Steam Deck, but I have my expectations in check. The Deck won't put a dent into the Switch at all and the Switch will keep on selling like hot cakes.
You seem pretty sure that the Steam Deck will ruin the Nintendo Switch. Let's bookmark this for Christmas 2022 and see who was right after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kataploom

Gold Member

You can't just slap COD on a portable and expect it to comprise a desirable experience.

Look at the types of games most popular on Nintendo's and Sony portable consoles? They're distinctly different in design from those on home consoles.

Portable games are a distinct class of games in and of themselves. And so far, only Nintendo seems to have been successful in understanding, consistently creating and cultivating these types of experiences for their platforms.
Sure but you can have both, like Nintendo Switch and succeed, and Valve is clearly not after general public, but dedicated gamers which a lot of them don't care about that, they want lastest Tomb Raider, Doom and maybe some Sony games on the go. PC also have a lot of portable friendly games anyway so those won't be lacking on the system.

I wish this system success, I don't care about making Nintendo "fail", but these machine seem very good for general purpose so I want that market to be healthy enough.

KAL2006

Banned
You forgot step 4

Charge a premium and have a huge profit margin for the hardware. If you can get away with selling old hardware and charging alot and it keeps selling out why not.

Spacefish

If the Steam Deck manages to sell 5 million or more by the end of 2022 that would be an incredible result, especially compared to other handheld PCs, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'll get a Steam Deck, but I have my expectations in check. The Deck won't put a dent into the Switch at all and the Switch will keep on selling like hot cakes.
You seem pretty sure that the Steam Deck will ruin the Nintendo Switch. Let's bookmark this for Christmas 2022 and see who was right after all.
The steam deck itself is going to do very little to Nintendo, it's too ugly for mass consumption and valve is the only seller. Its the revival of the handheld PC that is going to cause them problems in the future. If they don't do something new everybody is going to be groaning about how they have to pay the Nintendo tax for redundant, underpowered hardware so they can play the first party games which would actually run better on the competition.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The steam deck itself is going to do very little to Nintendo, it's too ugly for mass consumption and valve is the only seller. Its the revival of the handheld PC that is going to cause them problems in the future. If they don't do something new everybody is going to be groaning about how they have to pay the Nintendo tax for redundant, underpowered hardware so they can play the first party games which would actually run better on the competition.
I also see this as being unrealistic. Maybe Nintendo will make the Switch 2 more powerful as planned, other than that though... nahh.

Sure but you can have both, like Nintendo Switch and succeed, and Valve is clearly not after general public, but dedicated gamers which a lot of them don't care about that, they want lastest Tomb Raider, Doom and maybe some Sony games on the go. PC also have a lot of portable friendly games anyway so those won't be lacking on the system.

I wish this system success, I don't care about making Nintendo "fail", but these machine seem very good for general purpose so I want that market to be healthy enough.

Wanting the market to be healthy just because Valve farts out a product doesn't mean it will.

The market for console games on a portable device is tiny, PS Vita tiny. And for the price Valve is trying to flog that Steamdeck thing, the addressable market is reduced to something negligible. There's barely a market for a device like that which costs over $600 for decent storage size and speed.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Wanting the market to be healthy just because Valve farts out a product doesn't mean it will.

The market for console games on a portable device is tiny, PS Vita tiny. And for the price Valve is trying to flog that Steamdeck thing, the addressable market is reduced to something negligible. There's barely a market for a device like that which costs over $600 for decent storage size and speed.
IDK, apart from Nintendo we haven't seen the first competitor to do it right and even the Switch is currently lacking some features dedicated gamers consider vital for the system.

I'm not saying it's gonna be DS or Switch level of success, but I'd like to be profitable enough for Valve to keep it on the business. General audience won't care about as they do for Nintendo anyway.

IDK, apart from Nintendo we haven't seen the first competitor to do it right and even the Switch is currently lacking some features dedicated gamers consider vital for the system.

I'm not saying it's gonna be DS or Switch level of success, but I'd like to be profitable enough for Valve to keep it on the business. General audience won't care about as they do for Nintendo anyway.

So we agree it will be a niche product just like the Vive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it canned after a few years, to be totally honest.

tr1p1ex

This is what people keep forgetting. Hardware prices go down exponentially with time - that's why you can now pickup a 2017 processor for a fraction of what it cost at release. Considering the Switch internals are remaining untouched (CPU/GPU/RAM), the cost to manufacture this is going to be incredibly cheaper than it was in 2017, and yet Nintendo STILL going to sell this at $300+. The fans defending this are absolutely insane.
? Nintendo sold 28 million Switches last year. (at launch price and no game bundles even.) Their best year yet and there were shortages on top of it. Supply was tight. Console makers lower the price when demand goes down and supply builds up. Not when demand goes up and supply is tight.

Also the 2017 chips still cost a good amount of money - they didn't go down to pennies on the dollar compared to launch - and they are one component cost out of all the costs associated with the Switch.

Plus with the chip shortage and various price increases in the market right now, various costs in supply chains have gone up in price. Who knows if Nintendo's costs are affected by this. Last, the price they charge is also affected by currency exchange rates. Although they hedge some of that.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Once a healthy market has been established you can't win the power game with PC's, have you been sleeping while observing what happened to home consoles?
Wanna bet on it? Switch will keep on selling, so will the Switch 2. Mark my words.

tr1p1ex

I think Switch 2 will show up within 2.5 years after Switch OLED launches. If you look at Nintendo's history all signs point to it.

1. They've never gone more than ~ 6 years between generations. DS went 6 years and 3 months. Nov 2004 to FEb 2011. That's about the longest. In the US at least.

2. They traditionally launch each of their major franchises once or twice per cycle and they've done that. And the way they see things is they need a hardware change to bring new life to those franchises. They don't like to repeat them too much in a generation. We got a MK, SSB, SM, Zelda(s), AC, SMB, MP(s), ...

3. They've done 2 Pokemons, 3 this fall. And probably 4th next year. Plus Pokemon spinoffs. So they will have released their fill of Pokemon games

4. They released lots of ports/remakes/remasters and plenty of their B roll franchises like Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Sports, Luigi, 2d metroid, WArio, and so much more.

5. Last, they released a bunch of new IP/concepts like ARMS, Labo, RingFit, Game Garage Builder, MK:Home Circuit, 1 2 Switch, ....

In other words, they have blown their load (pardon the phrase) this generation. They have checked all the boxes. And the next Switch is on the horizon. It starts to become a strong possibility in March 2023 with a more likely target date of fall 2023 to March 2024. No doubt they are starting to work on it a bit more than they already have been.

I wouldn't be super surprised if BotW 2 gets a simultaneous Switch 2 release if it is delayed beyond next year.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling that you're either 13 or English is your second language. Keep fighting the good fight.
Man, you will eat so much crow, they should call you Spacecrow.
Reality will hit you hard.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I think Switch 2 will show up within 2.5 years after Switch OLED launches. If you look at Nintendo's history all signs point to it.

1. They've never gone more than ~ 6 years between generations. DS went 6 years and 3 months. Nov 2004 to FEb 2011. That's about the longest. In the US at least.

2. They traditionally launch each of their major franchises once or twice per cycle and they've done that. And the way they see things is they need a hardware change to bring new life to those franchises. They don't like to repeat them too much in a generation. We got a MK, SSB, SM, Zelda(s), AC, SMB, MP(s), ...

3. They've done 2 Pokemons, 3 this fall. And probably 4th next year. Plus Pokemon spinoffs. So they will have released their fill of Pokemon games

4. They released lots of ports/remakes/remasters and plenty of their B roll franchises like Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Sports, Luigi, 2d metroid, WArio, and so much more.

5. Last, they released a bunch of new IP/concepts like ARMS, Labo, RingFit, Game Garage Builder, MK:Home Circuit, 1 2 Switch, ....

In other words, they have blown their load (pardon the phrase) this generation. And the next one is on the horizon. It starts to become a possibility in March 2023 with a more likely target date of fall 2023 to March 2024.

I wouldn't be super surprised if BotW 2 gets a simultaneous Switch 2 release if it is delayed beyond next year.

2.5 years of 20 fps 😵

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Pretty sure that was the late Iwata's philosophy.
Definitely wasn't the philosophy of earlier Nintendo CEOs.

Remember when NES was better than pc?
Yeah, good times!

tr1p1ex

100% this x 10.

I remember playing a MLB game on the PSP and the baseball was like the size of a pixel. A lot of console games just don't transfer over nicely.

Granted the PSP screen was much smaller.

So maybe as the handheld screens get bigger, more console game designs become practical on a handheld.

Still I definitely think one key to Nintendo's handheld success is many, even the people paid to make games and run game companies, miss this difference between handheld and console.

Last edited:

Kagero

I’ve spoken to numerous Nintendo fans. None of them are upset, and this is why Nintendo can keep doing what they are doing. The people who are upset are non Nintendo fans being annoyed at Nintendo fans for accepting bad graphics hahaha!!! Of course this is anecdotal. It’s within my circle of friends.

tr1p1ex

I’ve spoken to numerous Nintendo fans. None of them are upset, and this is why Nintendo can keep doing what they are doing. The people who are upset are non Nintendo fans being annoyed at Nintendo fans for accepting bad graphics hahaha!!! Of course this is anecdotal. It’s within my circle of friends.
yep and don't forget some people define 'bad graphics' as not having the latest cutting edge photo realistic graphics.

Ark on Switch.
too bad I don't have that game. I could enjoy 20 fps too.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I could enjoy 20 fps too.
Depends.
Ocarina of Time runs at 20 FPS, but the game was build to run at that frame rate and old TVs usually have faster refresh rates, so it doesn't really feel that slow.
On the other hand I definitely prefer how the 30 FPS version for 3DS handles the game.

I see Nintendo as just very risk averse financially-speaking. They're conservative and want to profit on all items sold, and it's worked out well for them.

I don't have an issue with it. I'm a games over tech person anyway, although both is surely nice.

tr1p1ex

Depends.
Ocarina of Time runs at 20 FPS, but the game was build to run at that frame rate and old TVs usually have faster refresh rates, so it doesn't really feel that slow.
On the other hand I definitely prefer how the 30 FPS version for 3DS handles the game.
lol i mean I could enjoy 20 fps too IF I had ARK. But I don't have it. ;)

tr1p1ex

I see Nintendo as just very risk averse financially-speaking. They're conservative and want to profit on all items sold, and it's worked out well for them.

I don't have an issue with it. I'm a games over tech person anyway, although both is surely nice.
yeah they don't want to lose their shirt. Sega had to exit the hardware business. And many others have failed in hardware.

And while the model of losing money up front on hardware is working for Sony and MS. They do leave themselves open to getting burned.

Valve is doing the same thing with their STeam Deck.

Granted MS can afford it because they have way way too much money. Valve has lots of money from the STeam store and aren't making too many units it seems so it is no problem for them. And Sony also has other lines of business although PS is their profit center.

Nintendo just has consoles and games tho. Granted Nintendo has a lot of cash so they can afford a flop. But even tho they are conservative with their pricing, the Wii U flop still lost them money.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Thats only a 'problem' in your head though, Nintendo clearly understands their market and decided to focus on mobile hardware, there is no reason for them to match Xbox or PlayStation because if they go in that direction they know they can't win.Nintendo knew Switch was a risk because it wouldn't be able to handle all latest AAA games.

Also people only buy Nintendo for Mario or Zelda is not true at all, the Wii U had HD Nintendo games, very good even.that didn't help it.Switch is appealing enough to all gamers from enthusiast to casual, young and old

Also, Nintendo is always working on new hardware and noticing market trends,their priority is to market games for Switch right now but it won't be long until they start talking Switch 2, even if that doesn't match Xbox Series or PS5 obviously it should get more third party games and a healthy life.no point in rushing though, it has too be good 👌
And that is what I mean by that the Nintendo fanboys like yourself attack the truth. Trust me, my boy, they DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR ACTUAL CUSTOMERS WELL ENOUGH. SO DO NOT COME WITH THAT CRAP MY BOY.

Ribi

no, nintendo just cuts corners and sells at a profit and does fuck all that helps the consumer. They know their customers just want mario and zelda and that they'll buy a phone that is gutted and has no phone/tablet features from them because it has a Nintendo logo.

xBlueStonex

? Nintendo sold 28 million Switches last year. (at launch price and no game bundles even.) Their best year yet and there were shortages on top of it. Supply was tight. Console makers lower the price when demand goes down and supply builds up. Not when demand goes up and supply is tight.

Also the 2017 chips still cost a good amount of money - they didn't go down to pennies on the dollar compared to launch - and they are one component cost out of all the costs associated with the Switch.

Plus with the chip shortage and various price increases in the market right now, various costs in supply chains have gone up in price. Who knows if Nintendo's costs are affected by this. Last, the price they charge is also affected by currency exchange rates. Although they hedge some of that.

Regardless of how many Switches were sold last year, 2017 hardware is still 2017 hardware. And that's not even mentioning that the 2017 hardware was weak to begin with. Just imagine if Apple released a new iPhone this year that had the same exact internals as their 2017 lineup, and they sold it at a $50 premium. It's nonsensical.

Care to share your sources on that second paragraph? How do you know how much the Switch internals cost verse now? Are you really claiming that the same Nvidia Tegra X1 SOC and 4GB of1600mhz DDR4 RAM manufactured at the end of 2016 costs the same as now?

At least with the Apple premium, you are getting state-of-the-art internals for incredible performance. Nintendo is charging its customers $350 for a device literally designed and manufactured over 5 years ago. It's indefensible, and first party games in the near future will suffer as a result. I already shudder to think about BOTW2 running at 720p 30fps in 2022.

tr1p1ex

Regardless of how many Switches were sold last year, 2017 hardware is still 2017 hardware. And that's not even mentioning that the 2017 hardware was weak to begin with. Just imagine if Apple released a new iPhone this year that had the same exact internals as their 2017 lineup, and they sold it at a $50 premium. It's nonsensical.

Care to share your sources on that second paragraph? How do you know how much the Switch internals cost verse now? Are you really claiming that the same Nvidia Tegra X1 SOC and 4GB of1600mhz DDR4 RAM manufactured at the end of 2016 costs the same as now?

At least with the Apple premium, you are getting state-of-the-art internals for incredible performance. Nintendo is charging its customers $350 for a device literally designed and manufactured over 5 years ago. It's indefensible, and first party games in the near future will suffer as a result. I already shudder to think about BOTW2 running at 720p 30fps in 2022.
The console business model has always been the hardware in year 5 or 6 or 7 is the same as year 1.

The price of a console traditionally drops as time goes on and demand wanes.

That's why, before the pandemic, we were seeing $250-$270 sales and bundled games.

But then we had a pandemic. This drove up demand. And it drove away sales and promos. Yet we still had shortages. Nintendo increased the supply enough to sell 28 million last year (~30-40% higher than year 1 or 2) and it still sold out at launch price.

That's where we are at. That's why the price is what it is. Supply and demand.

BotW 2 is not going to suffer. It's going to be a great game.

Last edited:

TheContact

There’s a reason the switch has sold as many units as it has. It’s a fantastic console. It is getting somewhat dated and needs a refresh of some sorts tho

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The problem is that you forgot the last step:
4 - Sell the outdated hardware for the price of premium hardware $.
5 - milk customer base with gimmicks.
It's not like that at all. What you call gimmicks, is actually them trying to innovate.

And about the price, there is something called "innovation value", which you can read about in certain business books. Just because something costs a lot of money to put together, doesn't mean the value is higher..

I don't wanna be offensive, but I tried to explain this a million different ways, and it won't get through some people's thick skulls..

What difference does it make if I get a house made for a million dollars, but it has no value to me? What if I make a mansion out of chocolate, it will only last two days, and then it will melt. It took me a million dollars to build it, but in practical terms, it has no value.

VALUE=/= cost.. I literally don't know how else to explain it. Like I said, some people don't want to understand, and that will never change..

Last edited:
It's not like that at all. What you call gimmicks, is actually them trying to innovate.
Motion controls and NFC?

Even the form factor is similar to what you have had on phones as controls for years (optionally).

Maybe the forcefeedback is something worth mentioning.

So yes, gimmicks.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So we agree it will be a niche product just like the Vive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it canned after a few years, to be totally honest.
I've never said otherwise, nor Valve, they clearly see it as a niche device... It would be good for it to sell more than expected, I'd like it for sure... Don't compare Valve to... "Random chinesse company" selling a console like that.

Astral Dog

Nintendo does this for profit margins and over charging the customer in doing so. It has nothing to do with it being easier to work with. If anything sticking to such antiquated tech means they will be behind the entire industry. Once they decide to finally use more updated tech they’ll be stuck still wondering how to make games with more modern engines and techniques.
also the Switch IS modern tech! at least give them a little credit, took a long time but they finally updated their tools with help from Nvidia,Nintendo is even using UE4 for example, just because it can't match Xbox/PlayStation in raw power doesn't mean its 'old' either 😂you would have a point, but thankfully we aren't in the Wii U days anymore.

If the architecture was outdated Switch would have far less third party ports /support, and would be much harder to work with,Nintendo and Nvidia make a good team obviously the Switch is old news by now but the next generation will be interesting to see what they can cook together 😃

Last edited:
also the Switch IS modern tech! at least give them a little credit, took a long time but they finally updated their tools with help from Nvidia,Nintendo is even using UE4 for example, just because it can't match Xbox/PlayStation in raw power doesn't mean its 'old' either 😂you would have a point, but thankfully we aren't in the Wii U days anymore.

If the architecture was outdated Switch would have far less third party ports /support, and would be much harder to work with,Nintendo and Nvidia make a good team obviously the Switch is old news by now but the next generation will be interesting to see what they can cook together 😃

By the time the Switch came out the Tegra 2 chip was already out and Nvidias next mobile chip was imminent.

Nintendo purposely chose Tegra 1 because it was cheap. However it was already outdated on launch day. Don’t you remember everyone hoping it was Tegra 2 prior to launch?

So no.

Astral Dog

By the time the Switch came out the Tegra 2 chip was already out and Nvidias next mobile chip was imminent.

Nintendo purposely chose Tegra 1 because it was cheap. However it was already outdated on launch day. Don’t you remember everyone hoping it was Tegra 2 prior to launch?

So no.
That was wishful thinking and speculation from internet fanboys, the Switch was never seen as weak by the masses,
many fanboys trashed the thing the moment they realized it wasn't a PlayStation4 tablet, but for $300 and those fancy joycons it really wasn't bad for a handheld device.not cutting edge, but not old either.

Again you are using words like Engines,features, tools, ancient, outdated, etc. Switch supports all hardware features of Xbox ONE and PlayStation 4 and was based around 2015/2016 tech, heavily downcloked for portable use,sure, but im not talking raw horsepower here and looks like you weren't talking either. Nintendo's tech was updated from the old GameCube chip.

They made Yoshi's Crafted World with UE4 and it looks 👌(resolution aside, but at least runs at 60fps,hopefully they upgrade it on Switch 2)

ejWf4Md.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom