• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's "Withered Technology" Philosophy in hardware literally means: "Wait until its cheap / avoid cutting edge" and gamer's are still upset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iHaunter

Apple

Nintendo @ GDC 2011
P6IYnhx.png

None of those things matter. Apple consumers don't buy Apple for the Hardware just like Nintendo Consumers don't buy for its spec. it about the content of the software. Your still not realizing that Nintendo, like Apple, aren't in competition with clones or rivals, if anything their more closely in competition with themselves. At thier their own pace.

Still waiting for the "Content" from Nintendo? My Switch has been useless since Pokemon Sword. What content EXACTLY are you speaking about? They've had some of the worst games of a generations. The same recycled shit with practically no innovation in any capacity. They're $20 games being sold for $60. I am convinced they have tiny low effort 15-20 man teams working on their AAA games. Outside of BOTW. Even Pokemon SW and SH was recycled spires that they LIED about being brand new. The fact that people still give this terrible company money amazes me. I bought Mario Party to play with family and friends when I visit. It has FOUR stages. FOUR. No free DLC, nothing. For years.

‘Game Freak Lied’ isn’t entirely about Pokémon Sword and Shield - Polygon

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is one place where I'll actually stand up for Nintendo. The Wii U is easily my favorite Nintendo system ever made and that's by a long shot.

It just failed in marketing so now everyone thinks it was a shitty system. It really wasn't and it has some of the best games that Nintendo has ever made. The Switch has largely been coasting off the Wii U library and it's for a damn good reason.
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Well said. Especially when you take into account the soft modding capabilities; you get the awesome Wii U library, an actual Wii upscaled to 1080p, and the entire GCN library upscaled to 1080p. Not to mention all the emulators that the Wii U can run. Imagine if the Miiverse was still active...

It's a god-tier console through and through.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't care about OLED, but Switch felt pretty impressive for a portable at launch, not cutting edge but for the price and fancy shit like the joycons it was good. Fanboys always hated it because they expected a PS4 tablet.

Switch has not been replaced yet but people are acting like it was, by either OLED or the Deck, im patiently waiting for Switch 2 while enjoying the current software its gonna be awesome 😎

There's a lot of Nintendo hate these days so it's more people are hoping the Steamdeck runs Nintendo out of business.

This is an absurd pipedream.

The biggest challenge the Steamdeck has to overcome is the shrivelled lack of software that lends itself well to portable play.

Almost no game on Steam is designed to be played on a portable because PC games by definition are mostly designed to be played with a mouse & keyboard sat behind a computer desk. The rest of the games on PC are designed for controller play on home consoles; which history tells us clearly (i.e. PSP, Vita etc) that the market doesn't want in a portable console.

Nintendo is the only company besides the iOS/mobile ecosystems that has managed to properly understand and cultivate game content that actually lends itself well to being played on a portable console. And their runaway success with the Switch, in a world where they have single-handedly managed to keep portable console gaming alive, means they have absolutely nothing to fear from the Steamdeck... nothing at all.

I don't even know who the intended market for Steamdeck even is. Perhaps the few hundred mugs who went out and bought an NVidia shield... I dunno. I can see the device becoming popular among homebrewers and those seeking to use it as a portable emulation box. That's not even close to a significant commercial demographic though.

And I say this as primarily a Playstation/Xbox/PC gamer who has traditionally disliked Nintendo's approach as a platform holder since the SNES.

Last edited:

FStubbs

The biggest challenge the Steamdeck has to overcome is the shrivelled lack of software that lends itself well to portable play.

Almost no game on Steam is designed to be played on a portable because PC games by definition are mostly designed to be played with a mouse & keyboard sat behind a computer desk. The rest of the games on PC are designed for controller play on home consoles; which history tells us clearly (i.e. PSP, Vita etc) that the market doesn't want in a portable console.

Nintendo is the only company besides the iOS/mobile ecosystems that has managed to properly understand and cultivate game content that actually lends itself well to being played on a portable console. And their runaway success with the Switch, in a world where they have single-handedly managed to keep portable console gaming alive, means they have absolutely nothing to fear from the Steamdeck... nothing at all.

And I say this as primarily a Playstation/Xbox/PC gamer who has traditionally disliked Nintendo's approach as a platform holder since the SNES.
While I think it's absurd that all Steamdeck owners will immediately hack it and start running emulators on them, I think Nintendo would have to at least take notice of a new player in the game. Many of the games that would run on Steam OS would probably be consolized games that could translate well to this device, but how many games actually support Steam OS?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think people won't understand Nintendo, but only because they don't want to. It was fucking written on the walls that the thing wouldn't do 4k. You fell for it, you have yourself to blame.

Nintendo is a disruptor, they don't want to be the same as everyone else.

This is just silly, we would have settled for an upgrade at 720/1080, your assumption that Nintendo gamers are upset at the lack of 4k is wrong. There was no performance upgrade whatsoever.......

While I think it's absurd that all Steamdeck owners will immediately hack it and start running emulators on them, I think Nintendo would have to at least take notice of a new player in the game. Many of the games that would run on Steam OS would probably be consolized games that could translate well to this device,

But this is my point. The PSP and Vita have shown that console or consolized games simply don't work on portables either. At least from the perspective of what the market demands.

Nintendo actually gets the fact that portable consoles need portable-designed games. These certainly comprise a distinct class of game than those on or designed for home consoles and consolized PC games.

I think you're taking this point for granted here, but it's extremely signifcant.

but how many games actually support Steam OS?

Good point. Making the value proposition for Steamdeck even worse.

Blond

Banned
uhm... that's not how the Wii Remote does motion controls. it actually used pretty modern sensors at the time, and the Wii Remote literally has a camera inside of it which then looks for infra red lights sent out by the sensor bar to use that as a reference for an on screen pointer
just because it uses infra red to some degree doesn't mean that's "withered tech"... I never saw a TV remote with a camera inside it you know

also "mini DVD" was pretty new when the GameCube came out, that was the time when DVD just became somewhat adopted by the mainstream... and the GameCube in general was extremely high tech for the time, had a multiple times more powerful GPU than the PS2 for example
Exactly! This is why you can light candles on and the Wii will make it work. Just because the console itself wasn’t that powerful doesn’t mean it wasn’t Modern.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
While I agree with the rest of your post, this part is just not true anymore since a decade or more... Lots of PC games come from consoles primarily or offer proper controller support, I know because that's at least the time I've been playing PC as primary platform since forever, and before 2008 or so finding proper controller support was very hit or miss. These days I just hook my PC to my TV and play from the couch with a controller

Tams

Gold Member
i only put IR but other withered tech like the accelerator and Gyroscope also contributed.

Panasonic....Mini disc.... while new, was the cheaper option still
Accepting you are wrong with grace is clearly not one of your strengths.

Someone with some knowledge of the issue put you right and your odd theory to bed, but you just can't let it go.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Still waiting for the "Content" from Nintendo? My Switch has been useless since Pokemon Sword. What content EXACTLY are you speaking about? They've had some of the worst games of a generations. The same recycled shit with practically no innovation in any capacity. They're $20 games being sold for $60. I am convinced they have tiny low effort 15-20 man teams working on their AAA games. Outside of BOTW. Even Pokemon SW and SH was recycled spires that they LIED about being brand new. The fact that people still give this terrible company money amazes me. I bought Mario Party to play with family and friends when I visit. It has FOUR stages. FOUR. No free DLC, nothing. For years.

‘Game Freak Lied’ isn’t entirely about Pokémon Sword and Shield - Polygon

Oh look, the console warrior is now crying about Nintendo.

Pokemon Sword/Shield released back in Nov. 15th 2019. Since then, we have had:

MiguelItUp

The Sony PCG-U1 came out about 20 years ago. It's not like a UMPC is some kind of recent invention. They have always been an extremely niche product and will remain so - the fact that you're trying to compare UMPCs to a product that's sold nearly 80 million units worldwide is frankly absurd.

Honestly, most of the deranged screeching about Nintendo on here is absurd - they very clearly know what they are doing and have studied their market very well. They also worked out long ago with the original Gameboy that for a portable product the battery life is a key concern - and the people screeching about how it "needs" a 4k screen and a 10TF GPU are just complete fucking retards.
I couldn't agree more. There's a reason why Nintendo is as successful as they've been, and continue to be. Apparently there's a ton of armchair experts here that know better paths to success than Nintendo know themselves, lmao.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I couldn't agree more. There's a reason why Nintendo is as successful as they've been, and continue to be. Apparently there's a ton of armchair experts here that know better paths to success than Nintendo know themselves, lmao.

I will never understand the vitriol that Nintendo gets. There are things I disagree with and some choices I would have done if I was part of the company (like allowing for better preservation of older titles), but they still make great games and have always focused on doing something new, fresh and making folks smile.

IIRC, that was the main driving force behind Satoru Iwata: making people smile. And given how well Nintendo tends to sell? It works.

Then again, I guarantee half of these folks don't play games, they just want to cry about them and worship their own personal plastic box instead.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nintendo explained their hardware philosophy back during the Wii days. They said they weren't trying to build the most powerful devices out there. Instead they were focused on building devices with the features needed to realize the experiences they wanted to build. The Switch seems to do a good job with the games Nintendo makes and it's still selling well, so they must be happy with the spec.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nintendo explained their hardware philosophy back during the Wii days. They said they weren't trying to build the most powerful devices out there. Instead they were focused on building devices with the features needed to realize the experiences they wanted to build. The Switch seems to do a good job with the games Nintendo makes and it's still selling well, so they must be happy with the spec.

Yep. It was also mentioned in Ask Iwata. Chapter 5, "Creating a platform for play":

"I think what sets our game consoles apart is that they go beyond high performance by promising a variety of gameplay possibilities and consistently delivering on their promises. At the same time, we don't simply view our games in terms of big=-picture concepts, but talk about them like the fans we are, telling each other, "That game is awesome! Can't wait until it comes out." To this day, we strive to make games that we find genuinely exciting." - Satoru Iwata

Nintendo makes games that they are interested in. That they love. They want to keep doing new things because that is what excites them. This is still an ongoing thing, even with new members of staff. This is how Blizzard used to operate.

As an aside, I do think everyone should read Ask Iwata. Great read, lots of insights to how Iwata ran Nintendo and what his primary motivations were. Would love to see books like that that focused on Microsoft and Sony as well.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

No, they'd become Sega. The reason they can polish their software is because they own the hardware. As a full third party, they have to release software ready or not to keep profits flowing. Also, lol at Metroid. They'd stop making that entirely, because the whole point of IPs like Metroid is to increase a first party portfolio.

Also Nintendo would continue to make games at a AA level. I'm not sure why you think they'd suddenly shoot for the top tier AAA graphics that you desire as a third party.

Just play what's on Xbox or PS. There's room in the market for a platform that does different things.
Some people refuse to understand this, third party Nintendo would not be best Nintendo. what they do works for them, and sometimes only for them.

They can get away with selling a million or less copies of Metroid as long as it drives interest, other companies would drop it like a hot potato or give it a very cheap budget
But there are many other examples like Metroid, Bayonetta 2 and 3,Astral Chain, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem etc.

Last edited:
While I think it's absurd that all Steamdeck owners will immediately hack it and start running emulators on them, I think Nintendo would have to at least take notice of a new player in the game. Many of the games that would run on Steam OS would probably be consolized games that could translate well to this device, but how many games actually support Steam OS?

Nintendo wasn't scared of Sony or Apple you think Steamdeck will do anything? Valve isn't even doing anything new this concept has been around.

Nintendo wasn't scared of Sony or Apple you think Steamdeck will do anything? Valve isn't even doing anything new this concept has been around.
Only trouble is they thought similar of Nokia and Ngage.

Shrugs and laughs

But how much of Nintendo's casual lunch is being eaten everyday by mobile? What a lost opportunity.

The threat here is in better distribution of multiplatform games.

Nintendo have about 13 million die hard fans. The rest is genuine competition wins. Threats come from everywhere even when they seemingly fail at first.

Last edited:
Nintendo makes shit hardware to sell cheaply and high margins.

Then sell nostalgia video games. Disney can probably pull the same shit. But they are stupid.

iHaunter

Most of those games are low rated and are mediocre. It's not about console warrioring. It's about thinking critically.

The fact that you had to link games like Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch is proof you're scarping the bottom of the barrel. Most of those are AA games at best.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

As much as I love Nintendo, Switch games could probably run on a gamecube and look no different apart from resolution lol. They have amazing art styles

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Like ManaByte ManaByte said. They wait till they can make money off the hardware. Which is fair enough I think. They got away from cutting edge after the gamecube failed to to catch on. I'm good with what Nintendo is doing. They still make incredible games and have the best ip imo

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Most of those games are low rated and are mediocre. It's not about console warrioring. It's about thinking critically.

The fact that you had to link games like Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch is proof you're scarping the bottom of the barrel. Most of those are AA games at best.

Not surprised you would handwave away reality. Then again, console warriors like you don't know how to think critically. Too busy crying over your preferred plastic box.

Keep it up, lil' console warrior. Maybe someday you will be a big boy.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

No, they'd become Sega. The reason they can polish their software is because they own the hardware. As a full third party, they have to release software ready or not to keep profits flowing. Also, lol at Metroid. They'd stop making that entirely, because the whole point of IPs like Metroid is to increase a first party portfolio.

Also Nintendo would continue to make games at a AA level. I'm not sure why you think they'd suddenly shoot for the top tier AAA graphics that you desire as a third party.

Just play what's on Xbox or PS. There's room in the market for a platform that does different things.
Yeahhh……… no. You can’t compare Nintendo’s games to Sega’s. Maybe Genesis vs SNES, but not overall historically. Also, the PS5 and Xbox series consoles are basically the same. AMD Soc and bot zen2/rsna2, and both are basically PC’s. It’s not like they’d have to “polish” for proprietary exotic hardware among the current hardware lol.

Handel

Unlike Sony and MS, Nintendo is solely a gaming company, so needs to make a profit from or at least break even on it's hardware from day one. They have no need to be cutting edge in terms of power, they just need a system that appeals to their wider audience and can reasonably play their first party titles. They have never and probably will never exceed the $350 price point either due to wanting it to be affordable hardware for more families.

What Nintendo do works. Plus they've essentially kept the whole business going this long by holding on to three main franchises: Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Which is fucking mad.

Spacefish

You sure can't count on what you're saying before, you're not mentioning how many exclusives are selling on Switch, it's nearing half of the overall software sales based on only the available data. Now it's your own version of must-have exclusives that is important. Goalposting at its finest.

See you're not even familiar with the emulation. Those devs are applying quick hacks to fix the problem that you have to switch on and off at times to even proceed through shrines. Expect crashing at least 1-2 per session. That's not user-friendly at all unlike what you're preaching before. What ignorance of the consumer are you talking about?
If you want to talk sales, the top 10 Nintendo exclusives account for the bulk of sales and the bulk of the perceived value of the system, the top 10 games account for more sales than the next 100 after it ( I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than the next 1000 or just all other sales combined). This has always been the way with Nintendo consoles, people buy them for the main staple. The point was purely that there are around 10 games an emulator would have to optimise for to eat into the perceived value of the system. Crashing in BOTW 1-2 times per session seems to be a complete over exaggeration because there are posts from 2018 of people playing through the entire game with only a single crash caused by incorrect settings, that was over 3 years ago.

Hard to take this seriously since you called Apple a premium experience. There is nothing premium about it, they just charge a lot because people are stupid enough to think it is premium. My work iphone offers a very poor experience compared to the android option in the most critical business apps, email, calendar, etc. Not to mention I had a phone be DOA because the DRM chip that detects non Apple fucking cables was defective and prevented charging. How fucking pathetic. But premium right because apple.

And somehow Nintendo is not providing a premium service with their games because their hardware isn't top of the line. OK. And the reason is because you could emulate the games? What percentage of the 80+ million switch owners do you honestly think will buy a portable PC and emulate/pirate switch games on it?

The Steam Deck is not going to take over the core switch market. It will provide a portable gaming experience that appeals to PC gamers. It will not provide the all in one gaming solution parents will want for their kids and access to new Nintendo games which is why a lot of us keep buying Nintendo systems.

Nintendo will eventually launch a Switch2 and it will be a modest upgrade that will still compare poorly to the other consoles on the market. If the Steam Deck is really a threat then they will innovate and possibly up specs.
Apple is dog shit, I'm not saying anyone should ever pay their premium but there are absolutely aspects of their hardware that are premium. They still have the best drawing experience on any tablet, their cameras for a long time were the standard on phones or at least near the standard, their UI was the standard that all other competitors followed, there's a long list of things where they are at the forefront in their hardware category. Again, apple is dogshit but for the average consumer it is a premium experience. Nintendo is not premium in any respect, bad hardware, mediocre screens, uncomfortable controllers, mediocre aesthetic design, the worst online experience on any system, poor quality control, shitty stand, flimsy dock, basic UI, no multimedia functionality, the list goes on and on. Nintendo has premium software (or had, I'm not liking the switch exclusives), not hardware.

I never said the deck was going to outsell the switch, that form factor of PC will eventually rule the handheld market if Nintendo doesn't innovate. The same way consoles are now folding into the PC market because they refused to innovate. Nintendo is now in the same position as apple but with cheap hardware, everybody who cares has a better, open source, customisable experience that will eventually do everything Nintendo does and much more.

Last edited:
Some of the replys I'm reading in this thread are stupid as hell lol. Nintendo does great things for gaming there long documentaries on YouTube about how Nintendo innovates way more then Sony or Ms ever had. The people I see talking about Sony making a Vita 2 lol I assume that most of these people are posers or biased fanboys. What's Sony going to do with a Vita the Vita was kept alive by JP devs ideal factory,atlus,square,Capcom,arksys,level 5, the dead or alive team soft,bandi sony has pretty much censored multiple games from these publishers and have closed there in house ones as well rip jp studios. So who's going to makes games for this thing no one anyone who keeps bringing up a vita 2 is snoring crack. 2nd how many users here by weeb games 5% and I doubt any here imported games for the 1st vita so what are you going to ay on the Vita PS2 fifa from 08 that still cost $55.00 on psn.

The steam deck is not going to replace the switch I bet you day 1 people are going to have buyers remorse when they find out this system isnt plug and play.

But but those games don't count because they don't have AAA graphics and can load in 2.555 seconds. "Meanwhile this person plays br games that barely pass for launch 360 games in 05"

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But but those games don't count because they don't have AAA graphics and can load in 2.555 seconds. "Meanwhile this person plays br games that barely pass for launch 360 games in 05"

Not even sure why I bother, TBH. His post history speaks for itself with how much he loves to console war.

MagnesG

Banned
If you want to talk sales, the top 10 Nintendo exclusives account for the bulk of sales and the bulk of the perceived value of the system, the top 10 games account for more sales than the next 100 after it ( I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than the next 1000 or just all other sales combined). This has always been the way with Nintendo consoles, people buy them for the main staple. The point was purely that there are around 10 games an emulator would have to optimise for to eat into the perceived value of the system. Crashing in BOTW 1-2 times per session seems to be a complete over exaggeration because there are posts from 2018 of people playing through the entire game with only a single crash caused by incorrect settings, that was over 3 years ago.
You're talking about different things again, but let's move on to these perceived value narratives. It sounds like rainbows in theory but guess what, exclusive worth aren't gonna die suddenly when those past releases ended up on PC, emulated even lol. When BOTW2 come out, are people gonna come in droves booting up emulators to play that game? No, they buy a Switch. It's the promise of exclusives that are far better interesting, and history/data proves time and time again PC master-race doesn't mean shit for the plebs.

You need to boot it up BOTW on those emulators yourself and see how it goes. Not sure where you have these testimonies but it's pretty BS based on the current state of emulation. You can play BOTW pretty good with CEMU that's where BOTW mod thrives for example but not on Yuzu/Ryujinx, it's a nightmare there. And BOTW is the best shot out of all those, with most efforts spent while other games typically crash within minutes at times or even worse on the start menu.

TLZ

Banned

I don't even know who the intended market for Steamdeck even is. Perhaps the few hundred mugs who went out and bought an NVidia shield... I dunno. I can see the device becoming popular among homebrewers and those seeking to use it as a portable emulation box. That's not even close to a significant commercial demographic though.

Such hyperbole. Most Steam games are Indies. If they fit on the Switch, they can surely fit on the Deck.

Targeting people who'd like to play Steam games on the go.

Also people like me who weren't interested in PC gaming, but now definitely are. This makes it such an easy and attractive entry.

I can also install whatever I want on it? Even better! Emulation heaven incoming. I can have all the retro Nintendo games on it Nintendo won't give us on the Switch. Games from the GB, GBA, DS, SNES, N64, GC, Wii. Oooh yeah!

Spacefish

You're talking about different things again, but let's move on to these perceived value narratives. It sounds like rainbows in theory but guess what, exclusive worth aren't gonna die suddenly when those past releases ended up on PC, emulated even lol. When BOTW2 come out, are people gonna come in droves booting up emulators to play that game? No, they buy a Switch. It's the promise of exclusives that are far better interesting, and history/data proves time and time again PC master-race doesn't mean shit for the plebs.

You need to boot it up BOTW on those emulators yourself and see how it goes. Not sure where you have these testimonies but it's pretty BS based on the current state of emulation. You can play BOTW pretty good with CEMU that's where BOTW mod thrives for example but not on Yuzu/Ryujinx, it's a nightmare there. And BOTW is the best shot out of all those, with most efforts spent while other games typically crash within minutes at times or even worse on the start menu.
Nope, my post is directly related to your initial disagreement with me. You're living under a rock if you can't see that both PlayStation and Xbox are now in PC's orbit, in 20 years the majority of both their business will be done on PC. The same will happen to the handheld space if all Nintendo has planned is a switch 2 with better specs. You're the one moving goalposts on emulation, the specific emulator is irrelevant to my point.

MagnesG

Banned
Nope, my post is directly related to your initial disagreement with me. You're living under a rock if you can't see that both PlayStation and Xbox are now in PC's orbit, in 20 years the majority of both their business will be done on PC. The same will happen to the handheld space if all Nintendo has planned is a switch 2 with better specs. You're the one moving goalposts on emulation, the specific emulator is irrelevant to my point.
What? Not sure about PS/Xbox exclusives, but the Ninty releases won't come out ever lol officially on PC, they will definitely go under first before publishing. Sounds exactly like a PC whore wet dream.

Moving goalposts of what, specify it. That specific emulator is the one between the two leading Switch emulator which are Yuzu/RyujinX. I get it, you don't have any clue on what you're preaching.

Spacefish

What? Not sure about PS/Xbox exclusives, but the Ninty releases won't come out ever lol officially on PC, they will definitely go under first before publishing. Sounds exactly like a PC whore wet dream.

Moving goalposts of what, specify it. That specific emulator is the one between the two leading Switch emulator which are Yuzu/RyujinX. I get it, you don't have any clue on what you're preaching.
Nintendo already makes mobile games, the image of some grizzled samurai that will commit suicide before developing for the dominant platform is pure fanboy delusion. I don't jerk off to corporations and plastic boxes, I don't want Nintendo games on PC, I want them to stop price gouging for shitty hardware and go back to innovating like they used to. If they want to keep pushing the switch then they might as well end up on PC.

MagnesG

Banned
Nintendo already makes mobile games, the image of some grizzled samurai that will commit suicide before developing for the dominant platform is pure fanboy delusion. I don't jerk off to corporations and plastic boxes, I don't want Nintendo games on PC, I want them to stop price gouging for shitty hardware and go back to innovating like they used to. If they want to keep pushing the switch then they might as well end up on PC.
You're delusional. You just want to keep harping on your points without substance. I don't feel the need to explain much anymore at this point.

iHaunter

Not surprised you would handwave away reality. Then again, console warriors like you don't know how to think critically. Too busy crying over your preferred plastic box.

Keep it up, lil' console warrior. Maybe someday you will be a big boy.
You want to go through the metacritic of each of those games one by one? I own a Switch you clown.

Nintendo does this for profit margins and over charging the customer in doing so. It has nothing to do with it being easier to work with. If anything sticking to such antiquated tech means they will be behind the entire industry. Once they decide to finally use more updated tech they’ll be stuck still wondering how to make games with more modern engines and techniques.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Also, personally speaking first party switch games are some of the most underwhelming Nintendo games in recent memory, all the best games are actually WiiU ports.
Irrelevant as most people don't have a Wii U.

its a serious concern for Nintendo since piracy ruined the DS
A device that sold 150 Million units with over 948 million software sales? As a comparison, the PS2 had over 1.3 billion software sales.
I remember a lot of people with D4 cards, but I doubt it did ruin the DS.

a tiny handful of exclusives in addition to a bunch of ports
Again, irrelevant as for most people they are new games.

it is LESS powerful that an iphone from 2015
We hit new levels of ridiculous exaggerations now. I use a iPhone from 2015. It's a lot less powerful.

Most of those are AA games at best.
So? Since when is A, AA and AAA synonymous for quality?
The money pumped into a game won't guarantee you a good game at all.

Derktron

Banned
The problem is that people will not care because no matter what people will buy into it only because they have the games like Mario or Zelda. These games are well-known and are the reasons why Nintendo doesn't have to lift a finger in attempting to achieve what others are achieving and also because to this day devs are still able to port over some major games to the Nintendo Switch. Because let's be real when devs can't continue to port over any game on the Switch because of lack of power then we will see Nintendo in action. But in the meantime, nothing will change till something drastic changes for them.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You want to go through the metacritic of each of those games one by one? I own a Switch you clown.
Okay. 10 games with at least 80/100, 4 that are very close to 80/100 (78, 79), 1 is in the mid 70s, 3 games that are in the early 70s, 2 are in the 60s.

iHaunter

Okay. 10 games with at least 80/100, 4 that are very close to 80/100 (78, 79), 1 is in the mid 70s, 3 games that are in the early 70s, 2 are in the 60s.
None of which are 90+. Quality of games from Nintendo are low. Which was entirely my point. They have a lot of small teams producing "Good enough" games just to make the most money with the lowest amount of effort. It's not who they used to be, which is what annoys me. I had SNES and Gamecube growing up.

Spacefish

Sure. No point in explaining to someone who doesn't understand Sony/MS business strategy vs Nintendo. Waste of time for my part.
My entire point was that Nintendo should never adopt the same strategy as Sony and MS and now that they are moving in that direction they are in danger. You aren't reading anything I'm writing.

Daymos

If you're going to target 720p all you need is the power of an xbox360 to challenge 90% of the best games ever made. That's why the switch works.. old technology doesn't matter as much as it used to. ps2 to ps3 era was a big leap, ps3 to ps4 era was pretty insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom