• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's New Switch Enters Mass Prdocution in 1Q

ethomaz

Banned
Besides the Tegra X2? You know, the Pascale based Tegra that's more effecient than even Mariko? Or a customer made Xavier? Xavier has tensor cores at that which could help immensely with AI programming, and shaders. Weird everyone here isnt even thinking of that, just overclocking the current chip.
Overcook is out of the question... it has these clocks because it is portable.
And the Tegra X2 is not suitable to gaming like the X1 due the different ARM processor.

So nVidia needs to do a gaming sucessor to Tegra X1 but right now there is none.

Of course Nintendo can ask to nVidia create a new Tegra chip specifically to Switch Pro but nVidia will ask tons of money todo that (that is the reason Switch used X1... Nintendo got a great deal to buy the non-used X1 that nVidia had in warehouses).

Last edited:

tkscz

Overcook is out of the question... it has these clocks because it is portable.
And the Tegra X2 is not suitable to gaming like the X1 due the different ARM processor.

Só nVidia needs to do a gaming sucessor to Tegra X1 butright now there is none.

Ergo I said custome, I'm aware X2 and Xavier are meant for automation and wouldn't really work for gaming in their current states. And honestly nVidia isn't known for making custome chipsets so it's mostly a pipe dream as is. I do wonder if they would be able to make a ray tracing processing unit the same way they did with the tensor processing unit on the Xavier

ultrazilla

So they are going to have 3 models cannibalize sales?

How would this possibly cannibalize sales when all the games are compatible across systems?

It's no different than the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Same with the Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

Now will the "Pro" model get exclusive games? It's possible but I don't expect many developers to go
that route. They'll make their games that will run on all systems but the Pro model will simply be the
best system to play it on in terms of game performance/graphics, etc. Cheers!

Zenaku

I'd like to see their SCD (supplementary computing device) come to fruition. Essentially a powered dock with a much more powerful nVidia GPU. Dock your existing Switch and have it share save files with the dock and use save states to reproduce the "dock -> tv" feature, maybe even have the dock load up the main Switch's currently loaded game before you dock it by checking proximity, to reduce to time before switching to tv.

Play existing games with better resolutions/framerates, allow 3rd party developers to offer dock-only games that are beyond the main Switch's capability, and let the dock function as it's own console for people without a Switch. Possibly even allow 2 screen gameplay between them with certain games.

Mato

I still dont see it - A "Pro" version is the opposite of the audience they target - but good luck to those who want this*.

*Im Nindie focused for my daily use, so id purchase a pro but itd be far down my list.

I agree, a Pro version doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do. Going forward they will probably strive to further differentiate from the competition. It will be necessary because now that streaming games is becoming a reality, Switch's main selling point will eventually diminish.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
The only logical upgrades I think this Switch version could have are:

> 1080P larger OLED screen
> Larger capacity battery
> Bluetooth connectivity
> Performance tweaks to existing chips
> Improved form factor, reduced bezel
> Enhanced internal speakers
> Remove headphone jack
> Improved joycons
> Mobile data connectivity

They could possibly do something with the dock if they really wanted to spice things up a bit. So that the dock wasn’t just a dock, but included additional processing power and a SSD when playing in docked mode...

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think the most important part of this new Switch will be the, rumored, magnesium case. That'd make for a truly 'mature' device. For those who don't know, that's what Microsoft's Surface Pro is made with. Feels really good and highend.
SoulfulDisgustingIslandwhistler-max-1mb.gif

How would this possibly cannibalize sales when all the games are compatible across systems?

It's no different than the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Same with the Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

You have no idea what you're talking about, none of those are similar. The Switch Lite is already cannibalizing the sales for the original Switch aspeople aren't buying both at the same rate so the original Switch took a hit. Adding more SKU's isn't going to expand their sales.

Shaqazooloo

You have no idea what you're talking about, none of those are similar. The Switch Lite is already cannibalizing the sales for the original Switch aspeople aren't buying both at the same rate so the original Switch took a hit. Adding more SKU's isn't going to expand their sales.
“It’s not only raised the sell-through for the overall family, but importantly it did so without any negative impact on our flagship system,” Bowser says of Switch Lite sales. “Said another way, Nintendo Switch Lite sales have been additive to the overall Switch business.”

Meanwhile, during Nintendo’s most recent earnings report, the company revealed that 43 percent of Switch Lite owners were buying the device as a second system. That’s an important part of Nintendo’s stated goal of having multiple Switches in family homes

We also have data from Japan that tells the same story.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

No need for a port and wired headphones. I thought I’d hate wireless earphones but it’s just extremely handy.

Move with the times 🙂
no thx, sometimes older things are still better. At least with wired headphones i don't have to worry about recharging them, nor do i need to pay a lot more, besides, a headphone jack is not something that big that needs to be removed, nor is it expensive to have in the console.

DESTROYA

If someone can answer if this is possible;

A handheld switch, more powerful then the original but when placed in the new dock, it makes it as strong as a One X? I know it would probably be expensive as hell, I'm just asking if it's possible technically to have a portable that's at around a teraflop, but a dock that juices it to a monster level.

If possible, could this all be done for 399$? Or are we talking 499?
It’s technically possible let’s say if they console has its own hardware like CPU and GPU and can somehow merge the power and become a hybrid of both.
Highly unlikely though and never going to happen.

jdforge

Banned
no thx, sometimes older things are still better. At least with wired headphones i don't have to worry about recharging them, nor do i need to pay a lot more, besides, a headphone jack is not something that big that needs to be removed, nor is it expensive to have in the console.

Wireless headphones aren’t expensive. Decent wireless headphones with good battery life are affordable and available.

I prefer the freedom of wireless headphones. No need for wires dangling about or headphone ports breaking - which they often do.

Regardless if they leave or take out the port I’d appreciate Bluetooth connectivity in this new model.

Quezacolt

Wireless headphones aren’t expensive. Decent wireless headphones with good battery life are affordable and available.

I prefer the freedom of wireless headphones. No need for wires dangling about or headphone ports breaking - which they often do.

Regardless if they leave or take out the port I’d appreciate Bluetooth connectivity in this new model.
i'm 30 years old and never in my life had a headphone jack breaking, nor have i ever known anyone that had that problem. But sure, add bloothoot connectivity, just don't remove something "just because"

Shaqazooloo

No need for a port and wired headphones. I thought I’d hate wireless earphones but it’s just extremely handy.

Move with the times 🙂
Yeah, I have to admit, really love wireless headphones. I could never keep wired ones working for more then a few months before they started having issues, with the wireless ones I have now, they've lasted almost a year and they're easy to keep charged.

Much better in my opinion.
Sales data in Japan shows similar sales to before the Lite released, that's the key definition of cannibalizing sales instead of expanding. What Media Create or Famitsu charts have you been looking at?

Og Switch sales have been relatively consistent with last years numbers after the Lite came out (with the obvious exception of Smash release), Lite has just been an addition to those numbers.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, it doesn't look like Lite has Cannibalized OG Switch in Japan.

FStubbs

At best, if they put in a more advanced Tegra chip, it'll be downclocked to the same speed as the others and the effect will be increased battery life. Nintendo has no reason to up the specs right now.

ultrazilla

Yeah, I have to admit, really love wireless headphones. I could never keep wired ones working for more then a few months before they started having issues, with the wireless ones I have now, they've lasted almost a year and they're easy to keep charged.

Much better in my opinion.

Og Switch sales have been relatively consistent with last years numbers after the Lite came out (with the obvious exception of Smash release), Lite has just been an addition to those numbers.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, it doesn't look like Lite has Cannibalized OG Switch in Japan.

They haven't and the data supports it. Freedom is yelling at a brick wall.

At best, if they put in a more advanced Tegra chip, it'll be downclocked to the same speed as the others and the effect will be increased battery life. Nintendo has no reason to up the specs right now.

They do since some games like Zelda BOTW, and the newer games like Pokemon S&S don't run as consistently as they should have.

Quezacolt

They do since some games like Zelda BOTW, and the newer games like Pokemon S&S don't run as consistently as they should have.
Zelda was in a weird place, the devs admited that it was a rushed port, wich why it wasnt as optimized as it should, while pokemon S&S... well, it's a well known fact that Gamefreak doesnt understand the word "optimization" or dont know what good programming even is.

CrisPy2019

I think it's time for people to add shit like mcable etc. Into all sorts of devises.
I mean I got myself a 1000€ avr Pioneer Lx701 and it can't even accept 480i....
Why can't expensive products actually do shit that cheap cables can?

I got an mcable clone from eBay for 7€ that shit is not really expensive they just pretend it is.

Make it faster ignore 4k. Make it 1080p60 and add 4k upscaling with AA and I'm happy with my switch

MY PS3 looks good on my 4k TV with the mcable. Especially games that have cartoonish style Borderlands for example. Nintendo games would look good.
Add to that temporal AA that makes games look better than ever with AA almost not needing alot of resources. And checkerboarding etc.
We have alot of new nice tricks in the industry. 4k ist Not really needed for switch.

Just put an mcable clone with an on/off switch (software) into the dock then it finally has some purpose other than scratching switches.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
To the people really beliving the is a "only docked console": Are you guys MENTAL? Do you even understand what actually saved Nintendo from the MASSIVE Wii U failure? It was a "good idea" - and that idea was to get out of the high-end home console race (and let Sony and Microsft duke it out exclusively) by entering the high-end portable console market - with the Nintendo Switch - and make it so powerfull that you can hook it up to your HD-TV while marketing it as a hybrid console (which it is) -- and insteat of saying "its a protable console you can hook up to the TV", they chose "its a home console you can take on the go" - because thats better for marketing (it still sounds like Nintendo never left the home console market).

So, in short. Being a hybrid-stystem is one of the biggest strength of the Nintendo Switch and its marketing appeal - and now there are some people who actually believe there might be a chance Nintendo releases a "home only" device - It's ridiculous.
I am someone who only games on his tv, and the low resolutions switch games get on a tv is the main reason I have yet to buy one.

A switch pro which is only docked and plays at 1080p all the time would be perfect for me.

And I'm pretty sure that there are others thinking like me.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I am someone who only games on his tv, and the low resolutions switch games get on a tv is the main reason I have yet to buy one.

A switch pro which is only docked and plays at 1080p all the time would be perfect for me.

And I'm pretty sure that there are others thinking like me.

Why would a Switch need to be TV only to output 1080p?

Nickolaidas

Banned
Why would a Switch need to be TV only to output 1080p?
You misread my post. I want a Switch that is able to output 1080p all the time (and not downscale the resolution to 480 in demanding games like Doom) when in docked mode. If being portable is one of the reasons the hardware gets weaker, then yes, I'd like a model which says F U to portable mode in order to be TV-only with better specs.

I never game in handheld/mobile mode. Been like this for the past 10 years.

JUST.STOP. You're arguing with proven stats.

You are saying my argument is right but then saying I'm wrong and arguing against proven stats? You literally just said in your own post above that Switch sales in general were comparable to last year, by definition that means there wasn't much expansion, which only helps my argument not yours. If the Lite wasn't cannibalizing sales then there would have been expansion. But by your own admission and the link that didn't happen.

Thx, you said that with less insults than I would have used.

... fuck, I hate recharging my smartphone's headphones so much 🙈

You are saying my argument is right but then saying I'm wrong and arguing against proven stats? You literally just said in your own post above that Switch sales in general were comparable to last year, by definition that means there wasn't much expansion, which only helps my argument not yours. If the Lite wasn't cannibalizing sales then there would have been expansion. But by your own admission and the link that didn't happen.
Baseline Switch sales rose after the Lite launched. What are you even talking about?

Case in point:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
You misread my post. I want a Switch that is able to output 1080p all the time (and not downscale the resolution to 480 in demanding games like Doom) when in docked mode. If being portable is one of the reasons the hardware gets weaker, then yes, I'd like a model which says F U to portable mode in order to be TV-only with better specs.

I never game in handheld/mobile mode. Been like this for the past 10 years.

I got you. I think a Switch that runs current games at a higher res in both docked in handheld mode is possible.

Baseline Switch sales rose after the Lite launched. What are you even talking about?

Case in point:

Yes, and now the combination of Lite+OR for the last few months have been selling similarly to Switch numbers from the same time LAST YEAR, so there was no EXPANSION, which means cannibalization. The only time that wasn't true was when the Lite was new, and both charts that have been posted in this thread proves this.

DESTROYA

Yes, and now the combination of Lite+OR for the last few months have been selling similarly to Switch numbers from the same time LAST YEAR, so there was no EXPANSION, which means cannibalization. The only time that wasn't true was when the Lite was new, and both charts that have been posted in this thread proves this.
Your looking at this wrong, think of the Lite+OG Switch as one unit/family since it’s basically the same and both play the same games.
They are not cannibalizing sales if they still make a sale! I dont think Nintendo cares what model they are selling as long as they make a sale and they are still selling like crazy.

Wrong again. Let's look at the YTD differential prior to the Lite's launch:

Here, we see a 400K differential. Now let's look at it at the end of 2019:
The YTD differential grew to over 1 million units. Therefore, the YTD gap grew by 150%. That is the very definition of expansion.

For your assertion to be true, the YTD gap should've remained the same because the Lite would've taken sales away from the normal Switch, i.e. total Switch sales would remain the same only that the sales will be divied up across 2 SKUs. Example: If baseline normal Switch sales was 50k/week and after the Lite launches, it sells at an average of 25K/week, then the normal Switch and Lite would sell at 25K/week apiece.

Does the data show this kind of pattern? The answer is a resounding no and Freedom Gate Co. doesn't know how to math.

Last edited:
Nintendo Switch sold 1 million units more in 2019 than 2018 thanks to Switch lite SKU. In 2 weeks of 2020, Nintendo Switch is tracking 100k more than last year. So the logical answer to that is ....

Expansion 🏋

Also that Zombie guy on Reera is deluded for thinking Nintendo will sell 1.2tf hybrid console at $349.

Last edited:
Top Bottom