• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo & Xbox potential partnership in the Fall

Shut0wen

0Pg3v1X.jpg

It seem that the hints of the items on Phil Spencer Shelf is all coming to fruition.

Gamepass coming to switch

Master Chief in Smash looking inevitable it seems

I would like to know what Xbox gamers, who don’t own a Switch, would get from this possible partnership? I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be a little unenthusiastic if the benefits are to one set of players on a platform whilst the others don’t see any content coming to what they play on.

The Sea of Thieves suggestions are a good shout, that could do well on Switch. For Xbox, would something like Astral Chain be possible?

mortal

Gold Member
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt anything will materialize from this rumor.
It sounds manufactured purely to generate buzz and mindshare for brands.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo has worked with apple and are ok releasing titles on systems they feel are not competition. Xbox really doesn't compete with switch. They compliment each other. 3rd party games dont do all that well on switch.

Also nintendo holds grudges. I only know they do because they blacklisted a designer that had made successful games for them, only because he left the company right before the game shipped.

They will never work with sony, ever. Since psx was created as a response to nintendo cancelling the sony cd drive addon for the snes/super famicom.
Third party games doing well on Switch are why Microsoft wants to partner with them. Microsoft works with Nintendo as a third party to sell software on Nintendo's hardware.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Just based on Nintendo being Nintendo, I feel like it's going to be GamePass/Xbox IP going to Nintendo and not much from Nintendo to Xbox.

Potential for Microsoft to provide some sort of Live infrastructure to the Nintendo platforms as well.

More likely to see more Xbox exclusives on Switch like Cuphead than Nintendo putting willfully putting ANYTHING on Xbox.

Cuphead has been on Switch for a long time. PS4 too. It isn't a MS game anyway.

There are several MS studio games on Switch already though including both Ori games.

It is funny MS releases games on Switch exactly the same as any other third-party and fans call it a "Microsoft and Nintendo partnership".

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
I would honestly rather steam remote play make it to Switch.

Imagine playing your PC games on the couch with the convenience of the Nintendo tablet.

In fact, anyone get that working with a modded switch yet?

BlackTron

Cuphead has been on Switch for a long time. PS4 too. It isn't a MS game anyway.

There are several MS studio games on Switch already though including both Ori games.

It is funny MS releases games on Switch exactly the same as any other third-party and fans call it a "Microsoft and Nintendo partnership".

I know cuphead went over long ago, but I thought I remembered an interview or something where they said that they required Microsoft's blessing to do it. I don't exactly remember and am too lazy to research this (lol) but if I recall correctly, MS may have helped fund the game or supported them in some way, but the studio eventually was wishing it could grab more sales for the game and asked. (God I hope I'm right because if I'm not I'm going to get decimated by xbox fans lol)

Edit: also LOL at Microsoft and Nintendo partnership. I must say I totally forgot about Ori and didn't realize till now that Moon were actually MS first party and hadn't simply contracted an exclusivity deal or some such...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This will be nothing (some random game) or Megaton.

A 7yr partnership, all games on both systems.......
Nintendo sells games to next gen players, ms gets Nintendo games, ms gets games on handheld.......win win win. Ms agrees no handheld for the 10 yrs, Nintendo retains its autonomy. This would shake things up eh?

Last edited:

nikolino840

I know cuphead went over long ago, but I thought I remembered an interview or something where they said that they required Microsoft's blessing to do it. I don't exactly remember and am too lazy to research this (lol) but if I recall correctly, MS may have helped fund the game or supported them in some way, but the studio eventually was wishing it could grab more sales for the game and asked. (God I hope I'm right because if I'm not I'm going to get decimated by xbox fans lol)

Edit: also LOL at Microsoft and Nintendo partnership. I must say I totally forgot about Ori and didn't realize till now that Moon were actually MS first party and hadn't simply contracted an exclusivity deal or some such...
Moon never been first party

But yes,they have spoken to ms their will to publish on switch

BlackTron

Yeah curious..the logo of moon studios never been on Xbox first parties in event

Plus
VJV3nPW.jpg

They used similar verbiage about being an independent game developer on their web site, until the very end of the paragraph where they mention becoming a MS studio when acquired in 2011. Yeah, it's not exactly obvious. I don't feel silly for not knowing this anymore, lol.

I think that's another theory that one Xbox fan had that others just ran with as fact. Happens often with Xbox rumors.

That theory became pretty unrealistic once Cuphead went to PlayStation.

bitbydeath

They used similar verbiage about being an independent game developer on their web site, until the very end of the paragraph where they mention becoming a MS studio when acquired in 2011. Yeah, it's not exactly obvious. I don't feel silly for not knowing this anymore, lol.

Just worded poorly, Microsoft own the Ori IP, not the studio.

Moon Studios is now working with 2K games on their next title.

I don't see the big deal in these two companies working together. If anything that would benefit MS more than Nintendo because MS does not have a lot of solid first party titles right now.

DerFuggler

1. Goldeneye crossplay NSW-XBOX!
2. Astral Chain comes to GP!
3. Master Chief to Smash!
4. What did Jim Ryan do to piss of Phil Spencer so badly?!

Wulfer

I don't see the big deal in these two companies working together. If anything that would benefit MS more than Nintendo because MS does not have a lot of solid first party titles right now.
I think your mind is calling you, it claims you lost it.

Fact: Nintendo needs more adult style games.
Fact: MS needs more family friendly games.
Fact: MS has GamePass
Fact: Nintendo needs GamePass

BIG FACT: These two companies can help each other if they can work together!

Last edited:
I think your mind is calling you, it claims you lost it.

Fact: Nintendo needs more adult style games.
Fact: MS needs more family friendly games.
Fact: MS has GamePass
Fact: Nintendo needs GamePass

BIG FACT: These two companies can help each other if they can work together!
Most of the games that are on Xbox, except for halo, gears and forza. Nintendo could get on their own with a console upgrade or via the cloud.

Nintendo does not need Xbox or game pass. Have you been keeping up with Nintendo’s sale numbers? They don’t need anyone at this point to be successful.

Also more adult games aren’t on their console because they choose not to have them but they could get more of those games if they wanted because publishers would definitely love to tap into the Nintendo switch’s massive install base.

Like I said in my previous post, Xbox has a lot more to gain in this partnership than Nintendo. Xbox’s main issue is their lack of solid first party games and imo that is what’s holding them back and also game pass to an extent. Obviously, MS is working to fix that issue with the recent acquisitions but I don’t see what value Nintendo could really get from Xbox.

Also I don’t see game pass happening on the switch because Nintendo would fear game pass would take sells and money away from them. It just doesn’t make sense for them to do that so I doubt that would happen.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don't see xbox gamepass as well, commercially it might be too scary for Nintendo. I am trying to think what makes sense honestly and isn't just a xbox character in switch.

What about some additional support for xbox integration like achievements, cloud saves and chat?

Codes 208

I don't see xbox gamepass as well, commercially it might be too scary for Nintendo. I am trying to think what makes sense honestly and isn't just a xbox character in switch.

What about some additional support for xbox integration like achievements, cloud saves and chat?
Well technically there’s already achievements on the Xbox side for some of their games on switch. Specifically minecraft (when you log into your Xbox account, you’ll get achievements for ‘Minecraft for Switch’ as a separate game from Minecraft for Xbox which is actually kinda cool)

BlackTron

Just worded poorly, Microsoft own the Ori IP, not the studio.

Moon Studios is now working with 2K games on their next title.

Worded poorly is an understatement. I mean their web site states they became a first party studio which really seems factually incorrect. Strange.

Woopah

Most of the games that are on Xbox, except for halo, gears and forza. Nintendo could get on their own with a console upgrade or via the cloud.

Nintendo does not need Xbox or game pass. Have you been keeping up with Nintendo’s sale numbers? They don’t need anyone at this point to be successful.

Also more adult games aren’t on their console because they choose not to have them but they could get more of those games if they wanted because publishers would definitely love to tap into the Nintendo switch’s massive install base.

Like I said in my previous post, Xbox has a lot more to gain in this partnership than Nintendo. Xbox’s main issue is their lack of solid first party games and imo that is what’s holding them back and also game pass to an extent. Obviously, MS is working to fix that issue with the recent acquisitions but I don’t see what value Nintendo could really get from Xbox.

Also I don’t see game pass happening on the switch because Nintendo would fear game pass would take sells and money away from them. It just doesn’t make sense for them to do that so I doubt that would happen.
Nintendo does not choose to not have adult games on their platform. They get adult games and in general want to have as many games appear on their platforms as possible.

BlackTron

I think that's another theory that one Xbox fan had that others just ran with as fact. Happens often with Xbox rumors.

That theory became pretty unrealistic once Cuphead went to PlayStation.

Ahh you're right. I just read on Wikipedia's cuphead page that the studio's founder remortgaged his house to complete the game. Didn't see anything anywhere about exclusively of any kind. Are xbox fans really so insecure that they just make this stuff up?? I usually like to think there's at least a basis in truth even if details get muddied, but there's just nothing there at all lol.

Quasicat

I figure that Nintendo is looking at their online infrastructure and realize they may need some help. Microsoft could come in and offer to take the heavy lifting of Switch Online off of their hands in exchange for GamePass. Nintendo gets their online services and Xbox gets their GamePass on another screen.

BlackTron

This will be nothing (some random game) or Megaton.

A 7yr partnership, all games on both systems.......
Nintendo sells games to next gen players, ms gets Nintendo games, ms gets games on handheld.......win win win. Ms agrees no handheld for the 10 yrs, Nintendo retains its autonomy. This would shake things up eh?

This seems like a win to me, for gamers and Microsoft.

For Nintendo, it's terrible, as in depraved lunacy terrible, as in if their CEO wanted to do it, the ninja assassins that work for their shareholders would take him out terrible.

jigglet

Banned
Microsoft: we got no games
Nintendo: holy shit, we got no games either!
Nintendo: a match made in heaven, let's team up!

Top Bottom