• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo & Xbox potential partnership in the Fall

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo needs a traditional console mobile gaming isn’t fashionable.
Nintendo has no reason to cave. Even their shitty online service is successful. They have more than 26 million subscribers.

Why in the hell would Nintendo sign something with Microsoft, if it wasn't gonna swing highly to their side financially..

nerdface

Banned
i bet it’s a smash char or something lame

would love Halo 1 or even MC collection on Switch, though I’ve already bought the first one twice...but portable?...ad-hoc co-op on a physical cart? Yes, I’ll take 2, please!!

...but we all know it’s master chief in smash 😢

Last edited:
Lots of potential in the two working together.

Rare Replay on Switch - This was one of the most well put together collections ever released and would be massively successful on the Switch where it barely moved on the Xbox even though Microsoft was promoting it heavily and pricing was aggressive. Rare titles like Klonoa, Viva Pinata, 60fps Blast Corps, etc would be perfectly catered to the strengths of the Switch.

Shitty new Battletoads on Switch - I didn't like the game but it's a possibility.

Sea of Thieves on Switch - This is a no-brainer. The water might look worse.

XCloud/Gamepass - This opens the Switch to being able to "run" multiplats that otherwise would never get a port. Xcloud is shit city where I live, but the experience seems to be good for many people.

Doom guy and/or Master Chief appearing in Smash - One or both would be a great addition to the game, tons of potential for moves with both.

Kev Kev

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

If this is true, I’m guessing it’s something to do with Nintendo’s online infrastructure, Smash Bros related or maybe even a few small ports possibly? Who knows at this point?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
What are you expecting? BotW 2 on Series X? So far all these "partnerships" have been Microsoft releasing their games on Switch as any other third-party publisher.
No, I don't expect anything at all if you buy PlayStation or Xbox are clearly looking for other kinds of experiences than those offered by Nintendo. I think there is gamepass possibility on Nintendo and this could be a megaton fof both parties. Always if this rumor materializes into something true.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not surprised in the least that there is potential collaboration. The Gamepass on Switch rumor is not new and has been floated many times in the past.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo Virtual console came to Xbox. Could benefit everyone. Nothing new of course.

wolffy71

Banned
So one thing with streaming games... certain, more simplified games work best.

Nintendo does have a large catalog that might look attractive in a sub service.

Could open older Nintendo games to mobile customers?

Could be an add on to game pass on both MS and Switch.

Maybe theres a way Nintendo can achieve more backwards compatibility with the cloud? Idk theres a lot of money on the table if they aren't too worried about their walled garden.

carlosrox

Banned
Fuck's with all these crazy rumors lately? Feels like there's a big new rumor every day now.

We'll see if this pans out. Wonder what it could be if true.

Hope it's Rare games and Halo MCC. I'd love to have all the classic Rare games on a portable system (on cart), especially the DK ones. That's probably wishful thinking though, given Nintendo's history with collections.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

i seriously doubt nintendo would allow their exclusive on gamepass lol

It does seem to be counter to their general position with pricing. However, I guess MS and Nintendo could basically swap first-party games (MS on GP with Nintendo's just being on the Xbox store). Only snag I would see there is that the games would need to be playable with a basic controller, anything that required the gyro would be a no go.

We'll have this big theory going and then it will just be the Golden Eye thing. Come to think of it the little Xbox near the switch could be looked at as kind of gold.

Off topic: But there are two games on the shelf (one Xbox one and one Xbox360), anyone know what they are? Picture is just not clear enough for me to tell.

Three

Who wants to bet it's absolutely nothing? Like the MS will buy Sega on Wednesday except instead of having to wait a week to see if it's true we have to wait until the fall.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It does seem to be counter to their general position with pricing. However, I guess MS and Nintendo could basically swap first-party games (MS on GP with Nintendo's just being on the Xbox store). Only snag I would see there is that the games would need to be playable with a basic controller, anything that required the gyro would be a no go.

We'll have this big theory going and then it will just be the Golden Eye thing. Come to think of it the little Xbox near the switch could be looked at as kind of gold.

Off topic: But there are two games on the shelf (one Xbox one and one Xbox360), anyone know what they are? Picture is just not clear enough for me to tell.
i think gamepass via streaming on switch is a possibility. Or maybe a collaboration like smash ultimate character?

Zeroing

Banned
Yes people keep making up rumors and hyping others who are stupid/naive enough to believe in that...

anyway most people are going to have a rude awakening in the next month and months to follow!

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo on hardware that can actually make the IPs shine like they should, combined with the game making know how of Nintendo is a fanbois wettest dream.

What we’ll likely get is them teaming up for some mobile game joint abortion.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Sounds interesting, but i don't think we will see Gears/Halo on Switch or Mario/Zelda on Xbox. Maybe some smaller games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If Nintendo gets game pass. it’s over. XBoX will end up committing sudoku, like how Nintendo told Atari it was ok to release ET on the 2600. Nintendo planned it all

you know it in your hearts XBOX fans Mario!!!!1 is better than halo. Animal crossing is more hardcore than mine craft and Mario kart is better Forza
I am sorry to break it to you. ... I know it is hard to fathom.

30fps is closer to 24/25 FPS which is film frame rate.
Playing Doom eternal in lower resolution at 30fps is like listening to the Beatles on vinyl.

How can the Xbox compete? Simply put it can’t. Microsoft your hubris will be your undoing.

Think long and hard, or the last words you will hear are “let’s a go”

Sony will rue the day they stole the PlayStation from Nintendo.
How did those CD’s work out for yah ? Cartridge4lyfe. Go sit in the corner and cry.
.... silly buggers and sarcasm over lol
I am being facetious before I get called a troll

Most likely it’s probably no more than he enjoys the switch and has one on his shelf because despite working for rival companies love finds a way. This because my a gaming forum we are looking too much Into coincidences because OMG Easter egg. It must mean something ?!??

but if it is a partnership I’m interested to see what happens.

Last edited:

oldergamer

My bets on this

1. is nintendo using ms streaming tech on switch. Nothing game pass related.a total cloud deal tied to a monthly fee

2. MS offering thier games streaming on switch. Which is much more limited and requires a fee

3. Nintendo adding thier games streaming to xbox game pass.

4. Nintendo selling select digital games on xbox. Nothing gamepass related. Multiplayer only. Mario kart, splatoon, mario strikers remake, other mario sports games.

Nintendo recently stated they are going to invest in more new franchises (Created only a few since the 90s), so perhaps they are ok raking in cash through more digital sales? Miyamoto is gonna retire soon im sure.

Could be a combo of 3 and 4.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Nintendo has worked with apple and are ok releasing titles on systems they feel are not competition. Xbox really doesn't compete with switch. They compliment each other. 3rd party games dont do all that well on switch.

Also nintendo holds grudges. I only know they do because they blacklisted a designer that had made successful games for them, only because he left the company right before the game shipped.

They will never work with sony, ever. Since psx was created as a response to nintendo cancelling the sony cd drive addon for the snes/super famicom.

Last edited:

oldergamer

My last thought is nintendo doing a publishing deal. Where they publish other japanese games on xbox (not first party). In exchange for gamepass being available on switch. Would be a win win for both.

Mr.ODST

All I want is Master Chief in Smash. The only other thing I could see happening is maybe a Xbox first party only XCloud Game Pass on the Switch. Man if that did happen, the fan meltdowns would be legendary.
Been saying this for ages we need to Chief in smash

MonarchJT

Banned
if nintendo understand that allying with Xbox helps diminish Sony's influence and power, I think would be very very, very happy to do so

Top Bottom