• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will expand its Switch Online service with Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I went the flashcart + upscaler route a long time ago - I got tired of waiting. Now I have everything ever released on a cartridge system.
Fuck off Nintendo.
Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

Seriously - I even hacked my Switch a long time ago so that I could put Retroarch on there, and I'm able to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games already.

jigglet

Banned
3. You're drawing a lot of conclusions from one example. The Virtual Console continued across three platforms before it was canned. If Nintendo is happy with the subscription revenue they're getting from the Switch Online service, they'll probably carry it over to the Switch's successor unless it's a wildly different system.

I disagree with this. Are you talking about the $1 Wii U upgrade program? We still had to pay for that. AND it wasn't the entire library, far from it. They still trickled out the games, I was not able to replace my entire Wii library on Wii U.

Or do you mean the backwards compatibility? That pathetic BC solution where you had to load an app to load your app? That ugly ass, clunky VC "inception" style solution? I don't really consider this a true continuation of the service either.

What about the fact that the 3DS had its own VC but was also shut down? I had Pokemon Yellow from that but I couldn't play that on my Wii U, or on my Switch.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo has burned the VC down three times now, not one - Wii, Wii U, 3DS.

It's not a stretch to think they will burn it down a fourth time. If the subscription model results in less overall profits, I could see them rebooting it again for a more traditional ala carte model.

I have not subscribed to their new service, whereas I owned a TON of VC games on their last 3 consoles. I suspect a lot of other gamers are the same - they would prefer to just buy them not pay a continuing subscription fee.

I honestly expect a fresh start a few years from now. Attempt #4.

Last edited:
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Pokemon Puzzle League
Tetris
Metroid II
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Wario Land
Super Mario Land

That's only 10 games. What else could they possibly put on a service like this?

(Shantae and Dragon Quest III are being sold on the eShop separately)

Neff

This will actually be worth a damn for me compared to the NES and SNES lineup because there is no Game Boy Classic to fill the gap.

Mario Land II
Gargoyle's Quest
Operation C
Ninja Gaiden
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge

Just off the top of my head

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
This will actually be worth a damn for me compared to the NES and SNES lineup because there is no Game Boy Classic to fill the gap.

Mario Land II
Gargoyle's Quest
Operation C
Ninja Gaiden
Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge

Just off the top of my head
First game I thought of was the Castlevania on GB.

It'd be amazing to have those games on the service but let's be honest, not gonna happen probably. The 3rd party games at least.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Since we're talking about old Game Boy games, anyone remember this Kirby commercial? I think I was in 2nd grade, thought it was so cool.

This Wario Land commercial was epic as well. Was super fascinating to see a new Mario character and that he was the bad guy. Awesome game too.

JimboJones

Already pay for switch online so won't say no to more games, there are some GB gems.
Hopefully their rollout isn't as anemic as the current nes and SNES apps on switch.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Pokemon Puzzle League
Tetris
Metroid II
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Wario Land
Super Mario Land

(Shantae and Dragon Quest III are being sold on the eShop separately)
I doubt that one happens since the Switch remake is available in the eShop.

I also wonder if the Oracle games don't also get remade at some point.

GametimeUK

I'm so disappointed that the current games force a horrible boarder round the screen. I just wish it was completely black. It ruins the experience for me personally.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, this whole Switch thing just isn't working out for them. I'm sure no one even buys the thing.

I advertise for NINTENDO. For free.​

I'm so disappointed that the current games force a horrible boarder round the screen. I just wish it was completely black. It ruins the experience for me personally.
this made me ignore the the fucking thing totally.
i want none of that shit on my oled

Last edited:
Gotta say, I would've been slightly more excited if they had GBA games as well. Guess I'll have to play Metroid Fusion in the most lovable way possible.

Pirate Pirating GIF

Banned
In fairness 2 nintendo all you really need is nso - and you have the best handheld of all time.

or you softmod it and put retroarch on it :)
or you get a Steam Deck, put Retroarch and Yuzu on it, and you can play PC games as well as Switch games and all retro consoles

Last edited:

gundalf

Sorry for the necro bump but I think I found something relevant.

While browsing the european eShop I stumbled upon 2 Game Boy Color titles on the eShop and according to Google Cache both have been added around end of november this year.
I also did some further research on the Screenshots and it seems those have been made on the Wide-Boy 64 and on the video watermark it says GAMING 24/7 which has been trademarked in 2001 by Nintendo.

3Mc7giu.png
KEQ0p4g.png
m2X0aKX.png

will this be in the base nintendo online or will this be added to the "+" service that cost $49.00 and gets you a few n64 and genesis titles. If the later they can shove it up their a##.
Really wouldn't surprise me though.

Also probably won't get any advance wars, fire emblem, or ff remakes/tactics games, so color me not hyped..

Oh wait no GBA... then my intereset is soured. No GBA (fire emblem, advanced wars, etc..) then don't care.

Last edited:
Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

Seriously - I even hacked my Switch a long time ago so that I could put Retroarch on there, and I'm able to play Gameboy and Gameboy Color games already.
Does this stop you from getting eshop content, online games and updates? If so that kinda sucks. I have over 60+ digital games and 25 carts. Not going to have nintendo yank my account for modding.
i have an old vita, psp, and ps classic I already have running emus on.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does this stop you from getting eshop content, online games and updates? If so that kinda sucks. I have over 60+ digital games and 25 carts. Not going to have nintendo yank my account for modding.
i have an old vita, psp, and ps classic I already have running emus on.
Like most things - not if you do it correctly.

Top Bottom