• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo will expand its Switch Online service with Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles

Kuranghi

It really needs to have a filter as good as this one at least:

Or else better to just emulate on basically any PC. The graphics look mental without that filter imo, you need the slow response time screen emulation to convey the proper motion, although you can turn it off if you dislike it and the rest of the graphics will still look like they should.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Fucking hell, it’s such a missed opportunity. It could have been like a Netflix for an amazing retro library with tons of selections and past consoles. Somehow Nintendo managed to offer even less than the Wii U selection. I have to stop the subscription, I keep forgetting to cancel this useless service.

jaysius

Banned
Excellent 2 catalogs full of amazing titles, can't wait a drip feed of the worse of the bottom of the barrel of those catalogs.

If they do add these 2 systems and a handful of the roms, I bet they'll up the price of Switch Online.

I agree that they should put all this stuff in ONE APP, having multiple APPs for the same type of thing is stupid and clunky in 2021.

Last edited:

gamer82

I still have a working gb, gb colour that I got modified its cool, but if you can now get them on switch on a bigger screen I will pick up a select few games for it.

still in debate which console I am going for if it will be the pokmone lite on the oled switch. I guess its coming down to this years game on how much im going to drop this far into the cycle.

BlackTron

I really don't don't understand how everyone hasn't jumped to emulation for their retro games by now. Especially for games you bought on VC or bought in the past.
Fuck em!

I was emulating games far before Switch came out, but an all-in-one portable And console system that plays all Nintendo games is a thing that would motivate me to re-buy all the greatest hits.

As long as they try to drag it out with this piecemeal garbage, I still need a PC and emulation box for my tv (SNES mini), which makes it pointless. The system consolidates seemingly all past games except for Nintendo ones.

I would spend a ton of money and clear out a bunch of space under both my TVs, if they did it right, even with emulation options.

TexMex

I really wish it included GBA. I'd play Golden Sun again...

pretty much. Original game boy and gbc games are so archaic. Hell they were rough at the time. Several GBA games I’d play again but probably none of the GB set out of a few minutes for nostalgia sake.

yurinka

It would be nice to include a huge ass BC catalog with many dozens of the main games from all their past platorms to have a good representation of the catalog of these devices in Switch online instead of putting them only a few from time to time. Looking at the future, they could include there emulated games from all their platforms Game & Watch to Switch (including their arcades) and could build a catalog to compete with this service against the Sony and MS subscriptions.

People like me would pay for it instead of using emulation on the PC or somewhere in the future in a SteamDeck.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I really don't don't understand how everyone hasn't jumped to emulation for their retro games by now. Especially for games you bought on VC or bought in the past.
Fuck em!
Nintendo fanboys have Stockholm syndrome. They view piracy as some horrible thing, yet still complain about this.

StormCell

Cool if its true, tbf i wish they would skip gameboy and go straight to colour i swear if nintendo doesnt carry this over to the switch 2 or whatever there next console then im fucking done

If you were along for the ride for anything other than this gen's selection of Nintendo games (annnnd I guess last gen's ports), then you were just sorely mistaken. BotW was basically more than I needed for my money.

VinnyMac

I don't understand why Nintendo just won't make the switch the ultimate fucking console and let us play every single generation of Nintendo titles I'm not talking 3rd party because of licensing but all first party on the switch a true virtual on the go console. It's literally a gold mine. This drip feed shit by all three companies is starting to get real old.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It’s worth it if The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons become a part of this GB/GBC app

But this is merely a rumor still

StormCell

I can't say I'm terribly excited to play Gameboy or even GBC games. There will at least be some Zelda and Pokemon games that are worth playing. I'm hearing there's basically no chance that we'll see GBA games anytime soon though.

blacktout

1) They'll trickle release the games.
2) They won't finish releasing all their games before the next gen.
3) They will burn this all to the ground with their next console and start again from scratch.
4) Oh, but it won't launch with their next console - we'll have to wait years before they have the new service ready.
Eh, some of these points are fair, others not so much.

1. Both NES and SNES Online included a big chunk of those systems' first party library at launch. I imagine that the same will be true of GB & GBC. You're right that whatever we don't get at launch will probably be drip fed though.

2. This is probably true, since we are still missing a few key first party titles on both NES and SNES.

3. You're drawing a lot of conclusions from one example. The Virtual Console continued across three platforms before it was canned. If Nintendo is happy with the subscription revenue they're getting from the Switch Online service, they'll probably carry it over to the Switch's successor unless it's a wildly different system.

4. Only if it actually is a completely new service. Otherwise, it'll probably be there at launch. Well, maybe. Guess the only example we have to go by here is the VC on Wii U.

SpokkX

Hahahahahaha

the ORIGINAL gameboy…?!

hahahaha

remember when people speculated Gamecube, Wii or even N64 or hell Gameboy ADVANCE??

omfg Nintendo…

Neo_Geo

Banned
With this slow pace of releases, maybe Nintendo is having a hard time procuring ROM's of their old games.

Nintendo, DM me and I can send you what you need!

rogr rogr

oh-wow.gif

Naked Lunch

Nintendo went insane a long time ago - but hey they're making money hand over fist why should they give 2 shits about gamers?

A long time ago - I wanted to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, surely we'de get their back catalogue at a decent clip - maybe with high quality HD options and filters.
I wanted to buy official releases by Nintendo themselves.
Years (decades at this point?) past and they are still trickling out next to nothing.
I went the flashcart + upscaler route a long time ago - I got tired of waiting. Now I have everything ever released on a cartridge system.
Fuck off Nintendo.

TheGrat1

1) They'll trickle release the games.
2) They won't finish releasing all their games before the next gen.
3) They will burn this all to the ground with their next console and start again from scratch.
4) Oh, but it won't launch with their next console - we'll have to wait years before they have the new service ready.
This guy Nintendos.
Nintendo did it again!

Please Nintendo, think of the competition! Give them a chance to fight back!
I swear this is a bot designed to react post to topics with a Pro-Nintendo slant! 😅

Top Bottom