• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Wifi Leaflet - old? 56k no

If old lock

WIFIscan.jpg

Source: DS-X2

http://ds-x2.com/index.php?id=4181

DS WiFi Leaflet

(Written by: Dennis)

A new leaflet turned up, explaining Nintendo's efforts on their WiFi quest.

Our Dutch colleagues from DS-Gamer have acquired a scan of a leaflet explaining some of the perils Nintendo has to work through in order to get you your Nintendo DS WiFi connection in order to beat us at Mario Kart DS in a few months time.

The leaflet can be found here.

src: DS-Gamer

This seems fake or old.. American waisteland = American Sk8land now.. and Metroid Prime Hunter wasnt it Hunters?

M3wThr33

Banned
Phew. For a bit I was scared AC:WW was delayed to 2006, thankfully it's Europe's pamphlet.

Edit:
Sk8land? *ugh* I hope that's just the Euro name.

Edit2:
This is just DS, you doofus.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It has to be Eurpoean.

It is too lightly humerous for the American market, ha.

I likes it.

Sanjuro

I actually like how they give props to Mircosoft for XBOX Live. I now cannot wait for 360 and Wi-Fi online sessions.

so nintendo's solution to protect the kids from hearing swearing is no communication?

well, i hope that isn't true in animal crossing ds... i mean, wtf!?

this has got to be a joke, it can't be real...

bummyhead

I have to say, nintendo is about to do online gaming better than microsoft, and a hell of a lot better than sony.

With nintendo, you buy the game, turn it on, and you are playing online. simple. noting extra, no user acounts, no monthly fees. If you've got a router at home, you're done. And it's great to hear that they are wokring to make public hotspots compatable too!

With MS you have to buy the system, and then you have to buy the xbox live kit, and pay extra every month, and then you have to wire it all up, and then you have to....

And sony? Well they are as bad as Nintendo was with the GC.

I think everyone will do better with next gen systems, but you'll still have to pay extra with MS.

Also, i think the comment about no "communication" might be unclear. There is that "headset" jack on the DS after all. Perhaps ninteno is saying that they will not use caht in thier own games, which is fine with me.

snatches

The Faceless Master said:
so nintendo's solution to protect the kids from hearing swearing is no communication?

I have a feeling we will be writing with virtual keyboards. Someone said the VOIP protocol would be too taxing on the DS if you were to ask it to perform it during a game.

darscot

I hope this USB adapter thing isn't required. I already have a wireless network it would suck if my DX had to connect wirelessly to my laptop that would conntect to my wireless network.

bummyhead

one thing i still dont understand is why nintendo did not make pictichat online enabled. seesm really strange to not captialize on that.

Ironclad

This doesn't sound like typical Nintendo PR but it could just be me.

Anyway, the USB adapter, if real, wouldn't be required. It's only another way to create a wirless network for your DS to connect to. Also, I'm not too sure but if your Mac has USB ports, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hopefully the USB adapter is real and sold for cheap. It could be an excellent way to get those who don't already have a wirless network online with their DS.

Setanta

This isn't a leaflet at all.
It's from last Friday's MCV Weekly Magazine. Which featured a 30 page supplement on "Nintendo Handhelds for Christmas".

bummyhead

The Faceless Master said:

this has got to be a joke, it can't be real...

They said no voice communication. They didnt actually mentioned anything about communication in general. If c9ommuncation is integral to the game (and isnt AC considered a "communication game"), then I am sure communication will be possible.

Unison

Yeah... it's easy to block out cursing with a text filter, but it's a lot harder to do it on a voice stream. I imagine it will all be text-based.

Nick

So essentially they are saying they will sell a USB adapter that can serve was a wireless hub for your DS? That is kinda neat, if true...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well I don't think they really have to worry about filters for ACDS since you wouldn't want strangers visiting your town anyway, unless you want your town trashed. :p

bummyhead

Fuzzy said:
Well I don't think they really have to worry about filters for ACDS since you wouldn't want strangers visiting your town anyway, unless you want your town trashed. :p

Which is the Genius of Nintendo giving you the option of only playing you own friends online. the worst thing about online gaming are the people who play soley to annoy other games. online gaming's equivelent of drinky crow. ;-)

Zeo

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:

Rofl. Is that real? Like from some event or something, or just Photoshopped?

(I'm going with PS btw.)

And also, it's still Wasteland, but the GBA/DS versions (not sure about PSP) is Sk8land.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Im pretty sure they will, well I hope they are because Im not waiting for Next Year to get Animal Crossing.

mj1108

darscot said:
I hope this USB adapter thing isn't required. I already have a wireless network it would suck if my DX had to connect wirelessly to my laptop that would conntect to my wireless network.

Read it again. If you have a wireless network already, you're all set to go. The USB adapater is for those who don't have a wireless router.

Sanjuro

Zeo said:
Rofl. Is that real? Like from some event or something, or just Photoshopped?

(I'm going with PS btw.)

And also, it's still Wasteland, but the GBA/DS versions (not sure about PSP) is Sk8land.

Yeah I just photoshopped that bad boy, do a google image search for Animal Crossting and you find original image.

Juice

Entertaining story.

I like the Mario Kart ad in the corner. It's simple, which is appropriate. You can't really bang people over the head with it much more easily than that.

If this came from Nintendo directly at all, aren't they a little arrogant to just be saying "90% of users will be online by the end of 2006"? That's quite a lot. I know that was the goal Reggie stated, but that'd be like a magazine reporting, "and by the end of 2008, the Xbox 360 will be in the hands of one billion gamers."

Weird.

Thomper

Our Dutch colleagues from DS-Gamer
Whoooo, my site is on GAF! I have now reached gaming-site perfection!

Nice article btw, with nothing really new though. It just sums up Nintendo's philosophy; keeping online gaming simple.

Juice

Thomper said:
Whoooo, my site is on GAF! I have now reached gaming-site perfection!

Nice article btw, with nothing really new though. It just sums up Nintendo's philosophy; keeping online gaming simple.

I attend a college that's attended by predominantly Dutch-Americans.

I now loathe conservative Dutch-Americans with about all there is inside me.

I hope the real Niederlandeans are cooler.

Back OT: Nintendo!

Thraktor

Just to point out, the leaflet specified that there was no peripheral communication in games in which you are auto-matched up to other gamers. In games played with your own friends (which I'll imagine is the only online mode Animal Crossing has), then I'm sure communication will be the norm.

Thomper

Juice said:
I attend a college that's attended by predominantly Dutch-Americans.

I now loathe conservative Dutch-Americans with about all there is inside me.

I hope the real Niederlandeans are cooler.

Back OT: Nintendo!
Real Dutch people rock. Or so I'm told by most English/American's. There's always some idiots though. I apologize on behalf of them.

Top Bottom