• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

Kenpachii

Ok. If you think Mario Odyssey is s bite-sized game, I'm guessing you didn't seriously play it. I spent over 80 hours on it - longer than it took me to get all shrines in Breath of the Wild.

U should start playing more games mate. My games tend to take me 100's of hours if not 1000's and no that's not a joke. A game that at best gives you 30 hours and if you are a completist 60 hours at best is a bit sized game to me. Specially for 60 buck price tag. U basically pay 2 bucks a hour which is laughable.

It's also visible everywhere how they rushed it, small worlds, no overworld, reused bosses, extra reused content, disconnected content.

Look i have no high hopes for nintendo and there mario franchises anymore ( 3DS and Wii-u was the same thing ) reason i ditched the switch after i played zelda and mario because i already saw it coming from miles away that nothing would come anymore ( actually bought one recently back again for my sister ), odyssey was a nice new breath of life that went back to there mario 64 roots, however it's time for them to up there game a bit on this front. And actually start to design a mario game that feels like next gen content wise. ( and no not visuals ) odyssey was a good bit sized cracker to get things started but sadly nintendo reverts back to its usual lazy state of ports and small bit sized games to keep people busy.

Also comparing odyssey with zelda breath of the wild is just laughable, zelda breath of the wild was exactly what i wanted to see from zelda, a evolved zelda OOT that feels and looks more next gen than any open world game i played, and that's partly to there physics system and movement systems. It's riddled with quality and well thought out content in the game. Odyssey isn't even comparable towards it it feels like a rushed job to hit the switch launch window.

Last edited:

Business

Ok. If you think Mario Odyssey is s bite-sized game, I'm guessing you didn't seriously play it. I spent over 80 hours on it - longer than it took me to get all shrines in Breath of the Wild.

I wouldn't call Odyssey a bite-sized game but to spend 80 hours on it you went for all the moons meaning you went over and over again over the same assets. The game spreads a bit thin like this... it's not short, but it's overstretched.

U should start playing more games mate. My games tend to take me 100's of hours if not 1000's and no that's not a joke. A game that at best gives you 30 hours and if you are a completist 60 hours at best is a bit sized game to me. Specially for 60 buck price tag. U basically pay 2 bucks a hour which is laughable.

That is really not something to be proud off. Its actually quite sad. For me if a game is 30-40 hours max i feel like that was time well spent. If I kept playing games over 100 hours or even worse, 1000, id really have to look back at my life and see what is wrong. Theres a whole real life out there, spending 100s of hours on each game is ludacris.

Last edited:

SCB3

It's also visible everywhere how they rushed it, small worlds, no overworld, reused bosses, extra reused content, disconnected content.

Look i have no high hopes for nintendo and there mario franchises anymore ( 3DS and Wii-u was the same thing ) reason i ditched the switch after i played zelda and mario because i already saw it coming from miles away that nothing would come anymore ( actually bought one recently back again for my sister ), odyssey was a nice new breath of life that went back to there mario 64 roots, however it's time for them to up there game a bit on this front. And actually start to design a mario game that feels like next gen content wise. ( and no not visuals ) odyssey was a good bit sized cracker to get things started but sadly nintendo reverts back to its usual lazy state of ports and small bit sized games to keep people busy.

Also comparing odyssey with zelda breath of the wild is just laughable, zelda breath of the wild was exactly what i wanted to see from zelda, a evolved zelda OOT that feels and looks more next gen than any open world game i played, and that's partly to there physics system and movement systems. It's riddled with quality and well thought out content in the game. Odyssey isn't even comparable towards it it feels like a rushed job to hit the switch launch window.

60 hours is long enough for some games, please enlighten the class, what have you spent so long playing?

wvnative

That is really not something to be proud off. Its actually quite sad. For me if a game is 30-40 hours max i feel like that was time well spent. If I kept playing games over 100 hours or even worse, 1000, id really have to look back at my life and see what is wrong. Theres a whole real life out there, spending 100s of hours on each game is ludacris.

People have the right to spend however long they want playing whatever they want. Spent 2000 hours on Burnout Paradise, no regrets.

BigBooper

This is a really weird humble brag chain. We've all spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing games. What difference does it make how many games it was?

This is a really weird humble brag chain. We've all spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing games. What difference does it make how many games it was?

Because its over our current life span. Ive played games most of my life...I guess from age 5-6. To this day with work and my girlfriend, I always find time to play actively. But to say you are getting ripped off for playing only 60 hour long games and that every game you play goes into 100s or 1000s of hours spent in that ONE game. Thats absurd. It can be your choice, sure but to be proud of it to say every game you get its in the 100s. That just say "no life". Its fine if your life revolves around playing games and you have no social skills outside your own home but then at the same time dont flex and act proud like thats a good thing. Its like saying " I jack off 20 times a day and all you guys are pussies for doing it once a day". OK, you can do it I guess but to any normal person that is not a positive thing, its sad and its laughable.

On topic, I'm hoping this rumor is true. Having Sunshine and Galaxy and 3D World on the same console as Odyssey would make me very happy. Mario 64 would be nice, but I don't know if I want to buy it again without some actual remastering. I wonder what control changes Nintendo would make for Galaxy and Sunshine? Sunshine just has the analog trigger issue with the Switch, right? Would Galaxy have a stick control the cursor, to collect stars? I'm sure Nintendo can figure it out. I really hope this is true.

Nvzman

I wouldn't call Odyssey a bite-sized game but to spend 80 hours on it you went for all the moons meaning you went over and over again over the same assets. The game spreads a bit thin like this... it's not short, but it's overstretched.
Odyssey always bothered me personally because the Kingdoms didn't feel like actual locations, they just felt like dioramas suspended over bottomless pits for the most part. I really liked how Sunshine and some of the larger worlds in Galaxy actually felt like lived in places. It's definitely not as grand feeling compared to pre-3D World Mario games imo, simply because the environments barely feel like actual environments, and not just platforming fodder. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Odyssey, but its nowhere near my favorite 3D Mario game.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Because its over our current life span. Ive played games most of my life...I guess from age 5-6. To this day with work and my girlfriend, I always find time to play actively. But to say you are getting ripped off for playing only 60 hour long games and that every game you play goes into 100s or 1000s of hours spent in that ONE game. Thats absurd. It can be your choice, sure but to be proud of it to say every game you get its in the 100s. That just say "no life". Its fine if your life revolves around playing games and you have no social skills outside your own home but then at the same time dont flex and act proud like thats a good thing. Its like saying " I jack off 20 times a day and all you guys are pussies for doing it once a day". OK, you can do it I guess but to any normal person that is not a positive thing, its sad and its laughable.
Huh? What if someone just likes a game and sticks with it for a long period of time? I have over 1000 hours into Daioujou but that's over the course of years. Most days I get in about 15 minutes of playing. Some days I'll get an hour to 90 minutes. And some days I'm doing something else with my time. If you're used to playing a game for a few weeks, two months tops, then sinking 100s of hours seems insane, but if you're playing the game over the course of months/years, the hours add up.

I don't think it's something to brag about, but what's wrong with advocating for that kind of devotion to a game? I think anyone should have a game they love so much that they've sunk 1000 hours into it over the years.

Chastten

Banned
I don't care how many time someone spends in a single game or in a 100 games, but if you pay 2 bucks an hour for entertainment then that's hella cheap. Can't think of a single other hobby that's so cheap.

I mean, some games entertain me maybe 6-10 hours for €60 and even that is much cheaper than anything else I can think of.

I don't care how many time someone spends in a single game or in a 100 games, but if you pay 2 bucks an hour for entertainment then that's hella cheap. Can't think of a single other hobby that's so cheap.

I mean, some games entertain me maybe 6-10 hours for €60 and even that is much cheaper than anything else I can think of.

You’re trying too hard to support nintendo on this one. They’ve already made money off the original release.

abcdrstuv

Banned
1,000 hours for one game, long-term, doesn’t seem bad.. if you only play Crusader Kings once a weekend for a few years..

but I think of gaming as inherently kind of shameful - like I should do less of it, or none of it, it’s for children and teenagers. I feel way more comfortable going into a sex shop than a GameStop

SuperGooey

they gave us that on 3DS with Ocarina of Time 3D...not mention Majoras Mask a few years later. :)
Hmm... People actually look fondly on MM3d? I thought it butchered everything unique and interesting about the original in order to play more like a generic Zelda game. OoT3D was pretty solid, though.

T_LVPL

Played the series from Mario Bros 1 (although it was a 5 year old game when i was playing it) up until Mario Galaxy 1. All that running around in circles on spheres was dumb to me. Yeah the physics and game design was incredible but it just got old really quickly. I’d definitely be into playing Sunshine again as i really regret selling my copy, it’s impossible buy an NTSC copy now in good condition and is really pricy too. Super Mario 3 and Mario World easily my favourite two.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Played the series from Mario Bros 1 (although it was a 5 year old game when i was playing it) up until Mario Galaxy 1. All that running around in circles on spheres was dumb to me. Yeah the physics and game design was incredible but it just got old really quickly. I’d definitely be into playing Sunshine again as i really regret selling my copy, it’s impossible buy an NTSC copy now in good condition and is really pricy too. Super Mario 3 and Mario World easily my favourite two.

Weirdly Mario World never really clicked for me, indeed none of the Mario games outside of Mario Kart did really, I didn’t really get the design of them. I then picked up an 8bitdo mega drive controller and this time I found I could get further in Mario world and started to enjoy it. Fast forward I picked up the wii u emulator for Mario kart 8 and ended up grabbing super Mario 3D world and absolutely loving it. I’d say playing that emulator led me to buy a Switch and now I’m actually getting further into Mario World than I’ve ever managed before, coming to the end of world 1 (yeah I suck) and I’m having so much fun between urges to throw the controller at the wall! The design is so clever, the difficulty level and reward pitched so perfectly, it’s just magnificent. Mario Odyssey is good but I think not quite as good as World or 3D world but honestly I can’t wait for a port of 3D world if it comes and I’d love to give Sunshine and Galaxy a shot. There’s a certain magic in Nintendo’s offerings and I’m enjoying seeing it finally.

Cutty Flam

Banned
God bless Nintendo man seriously hoping to be able to play Super Mario Sunshine again

And with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Link’s Awakening, Paper Mario: The Origami King I’m literally in gaming heaven thanks to the Nintendo Switch

I’ll be even more so when I decided on either a PS5 or Xbox. This is like the perfect time for gamers it’s like another golden age in the present here and now imo

Erimus

Neo Member
I hope this gets confirmed soon. The anticipation is killing me. I never got around to finishing Galaxy or even starting Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Only played bits of Sunshine too so this collection will be fantastic to experience.

"Ten years on, and Galaxy 2 still plays on our minds from time to time. It topped Metacritic's poll for the best games of the previous decade, and P.J. wrote about it in our staff Games of the Decade roundup earlier this year. With rumours that Nintendo has special plans for Mario's 35th anniversary, we're hoping it will make the leap from Wii to Switch some day soon.

For all its majesty, Switch's own 3D Mario is inherently less coherent; more Jackson Pollock than Van Gogh. Super Mario Odyssey's haphazard multiverse of styles and designs is held together only by sheer mechanical genius. Galaxy 2 remains the purest of the 3D Marios, a crazy cosmic playground of ideas wrapped up in a cogent, considered package - a straight sequel with more of Nintendo's 'surprise and delight' than any other. We love them both. Don't make us pick."

-----

Even though I prefer Super Mario 3D World over the Galaxy games, they are still bloody marvelous.

Remaster is meaning port most of the time nowadays. Nintendo should stop squeezing their fanbase for games they bought 5 times already.

To be fair, we've seen some great stuff in a very short span. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes, the Final Fantasy VII one, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition...

Super Mario 64...that is something I am looking forward to, if brought to today's standards.

Also, Super Mario 3D World will include extra courses, so it won't be a straight port if rumors are correct. :messenger_winking:

To be fair, we've seen some great stuff in a very short span. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes, the Final Fantasy VII one, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition...

Super Mario 64...that is something I am looking forward to, if brought to today's standards.

Also, Super Mario 3D World will include extra courses, so it won't be a straight port if rumors are correct. :messenger_winking:

There's a difference between remaster and remake. I'm all up for remakes man. I love them.

Aldric

If they seriously remade assets and textures for Mario 64 a potential Super Mario All Stars 2 is one of the best HD collections I can think of. I doubt it though, doesn't seem very Nintendo-like to ask 60 dollars for 4 of their most legendary titles in HD.

That was my favorite Wii U game by far. Ran my tablet pad down to zero charge several times during marathon sessions with my girlfriend.

I checked out the playthrough for fun today. My goodness, I really miss this game. At the time I regarded it as the best Super Mario game ever, and just by watching somebody else play...that feeling arises again. lol

This game is the amalgamation of everything great about classic Super Mario Bros. games. I really don't know how they put the game together, but they combined everything great about the classic games together. A absolute masterpiece.

One of the games that I'd give a 11/10. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I checked out the playthrough for fun today. My goodness, I really miss this game. At the time I regarded it as the best Super Mario game ever, and just by watching somebody else play...that feeling arises again. lol

This game is the amalgamation of everything great about classic Super Mario Bros. games. I really don't know how they put the game together, but they combined everything great about the classic games together. A absolute masterpiece.

One of the games that I'd give a 11/10. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It’s a fantastic game, I rather fell in love with it. Can’t wait for a Switch port - the emulator isn’t bad but I’d rather have it on the Switch.

Got a little further into Odyssey today, I’m now at the woodland kingdom and tbh I’m having a lot of fun. I’d say that the Switch is proving to be a really good purchase - I’m glad I got one.

Top Bottom