• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Life article:

Nintendo is set to remaster "most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue" on Switch to celebrate the franchise's 35th anniversary this year, according to a new report.

The monumental news comes from trusted site VGC, which credits "multiple sources" for the information provided. Apparently, Nintendo is set to hold an event which will coincide with the anniversary, with all plans due to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo’s partnership with Universal and more.

The specific games theoretically coming our way haven't been mentioned, but the report mentions that as well as the remasters noted above, "several other Mario titles" are also launching in 2020, including a new Paper Mario game.

We can't quite believe what we're writing, so we'll be staying glued to our screens for the foreseeable future and will, of course, update you should Nintendo announce these plans officially.

In the meantime, though, feel free to share your excitement with us in the comments below. Which games would you like to see? Super Mario Galaxy? Super Mario Sunshine? Everything ever? Wow.

-----

Update from Eurogamer:

Eurogamer sources have indicated that Mario Galaxy is indeed one of the games being readied for a remaster, alongside a couple of other 3D Mario favourites. [UPDATE: Gematsu has now confirmed these as Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, which Eurogamer can corroborate.]

Many earlier Mario games are already available on Switch via the console's Switch Online NES and SNES apps.

Second, the report states "several other Mario titles" will release in 2020, including a new Paper Mario.

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

-----

The rumor intensifies:

[...] now VentureBeat's staff writer Jeff Grubb has chimed in. For the record, he's the same guy who said we'd be getting two Nintendo presentations on certain dates this month, and we did. In addition to this, he's now reached out to his own source about the latest report. Here's what he found out:

For the remasters, our source is telling us that Nintendo is pursuing something like a Super Mario All-Stars 2 for the 3D Mario games. This would include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and then Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. It’s likely that 3D World may get its own, separate Deluxe-style release. While it’s possible the older 3D Mario games could come in a single compilation, it’s also likely that Nintendo will release them individually as it did with its Zelda remasters.
The Paper Mario game, meanwhile, represents a return to that franchise’s roots. This means something closer to the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube games, which are beloved. And leaving behind the baggage of the more forgettable entries on 3DS and Wii U.
Finally, expect Nintendo to fill out the Mario celebrations in other ways as well. This could mean even more Mario games on the Nintendo Switch Online subscription service, for example.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Curious how this will turn out.

Fingers crossed for something not behind the subscription service paywall, but knowing Nintendo they'll do single-title remasters of the 3D titles with as much glamour as possible while leaving the better-selling 2D ones to languish in digital-only purgatory.

Metnut

We haven’t heard anything on the Mario front since Odyssey, so not surprising they had something up their sleeve.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Curious how this will turn out.

Fingers crossed for something not behind the subscription service paywall, but knowing Nintendo they'll do single-title remasters of the 3D titles with as much glamour as possible while leaving the better-selling 2D ones to languish in digital-only purgatory.
It's only 20 bucks for a year. Not exactly a huge barrier to entry if they do go that route.

Pejo

If it's in a "collection" game that I only have to buy once, I'll get it.

If it's each game individually, nah.

If they do collection by era (NES/SNES all in one, N64/GC/Wii in another, etc), I'd have to see the price.

Rat Rage

Nope, I don't believe it. Mario is a sacred franchise to Nintendo, rightfully so. Handling of this franchise has always been very strategic. Why would they remaster every fucking Mario Game of the last 35 years and thus needlessly oversaturate their fanbase and weaken the strength of their Mario IP's?

Last edited:

Thurible

How valid is this rumor? I don't want to be a negative nancy, but remastering "most of Mario's 35 year backcatalogue" seems very unlikely. That being said, I have never played sunshine and would probably buy all HD rerelease, and I have both galaxy games and think they would benefit in HD.

jts

...hate me...
What I mostly want is 64 and Galaxy 1.

Followed by 3D World and Galaxy 2.

But honestly I don’t look forward to a Mario overdose. Would rather have these releases spaced over the last 3 years and continuing.

Mozza

Dear god, how many time will they want us to buy old stuff full price again. For me Nintendo are kinda dropping the ball more and more.

You have to understand that a large number of Switch owners will have never played any of these games, smart move by Nintendo if true, I personally would like Sunshine, as I never gave it a proper go when released.

Andyliini

If they fix Sunshine by completely overhauling it, then maybe I can finally enjoy that game. The rest? I'll take them as they come.

Reactions: TLZ

cireza

Banned
Nintendo remastering games ? Now that would be unprecedented.

You can already play all these games on Wii U by the way.

Last edited:

splattered

Wait....... could this be Bluepoint's "most ambitious undertaking" that they kept hinting at?

I doubt they would be remade in-house at Nintendo.

But that would kill the hopes and dreams of millions of Sony fans expecting a Demon Souls remake...

Sunshine needs more than some graphical polish to make it worth re-releasing.

Yeah, I know some of you really like that game. It's because you grew up with it and didn't know any better.

Not really, I grew up with the NES and SNES games. I still liked Sunshine more than most 3D Mario games and I have impeccable taste, so that must mean yours is shit and you're wrong.

Top Bottom