• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to remaster most Super Mario games for Nintendo Switch

Wait....... could this be Bluepoint's "most ambitious undertaking" that they kept hinting at?

I doubt they would be remade in-house at Nintendo.

My guess is the majority of them will be done by Nintendo (games that don't take much additional work). Grezzo would be the perfect candidate for Super Mario 64. They did The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening before.

I'm all in for a Galaxy 1+2 HD Remaster. Was never too big on 64 or Sunshine, but it would be nice for them to do something with Sunshine. I know a lot of people hold that game in high regard and there's really no other way to play it other than owning a GC or emulating it.

Orta

Banned
Somebody hold my penis! Erm hand, I mean hand.

Jonah-hill-excited-gif.gif

I'd love to see an updated Mario All-Stars above all.

yodine53

Happy because i didn't play Super Mario Galaxy, but RIP to Super Mario Odyssey 2 on Switch. No way they will release another mainline game this gen with all this.

Where the fuck is Metroid Prime Trilogy HD?

This is just my take on it: maybe next year, along with Metroid Prime 4? There's also a rumored Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past remake supposedly in the works, and both of these series have a 35th anniversary in the upcoming year. I do hope earlier though, because the Metroid Prime games are amazing

Closer

PLEASE DON'T FUCK UP YOSHI'S ISLAND PLEASE DON'T FUCK UP YOSHI'S ISLAND PLEASE DON'T FUCK UP YOSHI'S ISLAND

on another note

SUPER MARIO GALAXY HECK YEAH SUPER MARIO GALAXY HECK YEAH SUPER MARIO GALAXY HECK YEAH

Last edited:

Codes 208

The galaxies games and sunshine is the obvious ones.
Id say 64 is the obvious one.
Peeps gonna be paying a full $60 to play Mario Galaxy again 🤣
I dont see the issue with that, there are people who will spend $60 two to eight times just to replay skyrim on all their devices.

hell, skyrim SE and skyrim psvr both launched at $60 as seperate sku’s on one single platform.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Remasters Mario 64? please tell me it aint just a straight port. it needs higher res textures and keep everything else the same

GV82

6fZvg21.jpg

Like this sort of thing but remastered and different games obviously

Or

GJUqGKQ.jpg

Like this but over 2 collections?

Doom85

Mario 64, Galaxy 1 and 2, and 3D World all on Switch??! Will be awesome if true. (I like Sunshine okay but not as much as the others)

New Paper Mario, huh? If it's more like the first two games, then hype levels through the roof, but it'll likely be more like the two most recent games. God, I'd rather even have the 3rd Paper Mario game over what it turned into afterwards, the 3rd one wasn't on par with the first two but it was still fairly good.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You have to understand that a large number of Switch owners will have never played any of these games, smart move by Nintendo if true, I personally would like Sunshine, as I never gave it a proper go when released.

On the other hand, they could also use this resource and time to produce something new. That is why I struggle with this idea!

Nintendo Life article:

Nintendo is set to remaster "most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue" on Switch to celebrate the franchise's 35th anniversary this year, according to a new report.

The monumental news comes from trusted site VGC, which credits "multiple sources" for the information provided. Apparently, Nintendo is set to hold an event which will coincide with the anniversary, with all plans due to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo’s partnership with Universal and more.

The specific games theoretically coming our way haven't been mentioned, but the report mentions that as well as the remasters noted above, "several other Mario titles" are also launching in 2020, including a new Paper Mario game.

We can't quite believe what we're writing, so we'll be staying glued to our screens for the foreseeable future and will, of course, update you should Nintendo announce these plans officially.

In the meantime, though, feel free to share your excitement with us in the comments below. Which games would you like to see? Super Mario Galaxy? Super Mario Sunshine? Everything ever? Wow.

-----

Update from Eurogamer:

Eurogamer sources have indicated that Mario Galaxy is indeed one of the games being readied for a remaster, alongside a couple of other 3D Mario favourites. [UPDATE: Gematsu has now confirmed these as Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, which Eurogamer can corroborate.]

Many earlier Mario games are already available on Switch via the console's Switch Online NES and SNES apps.

Second, the report states "several other Mario titles" will release in 2020, including a new Paper Mario.

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

Sunshine, is its damn time

Also, not the case considering this Rumor talks about remaster, but why not remake Mario 64 in an odissey vein?

Would be awesome, as well as the same thing with sunshine

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Awesome idea! I really really really hope they don't try to push these at $60 unless it's a bundle.

V2Tommy

Cool! A neat play to play a blurry, upscaled version of Yoshi's Island with the sound effects incorrect! Just what I needed!

GV82

I’ve never played the Galaxy games, looking forward to all these.

If they all turn out good remasters and then we get Prime Trilogy eventually too, I will argue that this Nintendos best console for games (but the online and other features maybe not the best)

Whatever happened to the extra Metroid games rumoured to come too? anyone remember that runour too?

ultrazilla

What are the chances this collection comes on a single 32 gig card?
I've always wanted a proper Super Mario 64 high def remaster.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 Remastered Collection right into my veins please.
These(again IF true) *should* all run at 1080p/60fps docked, 720/60fps handheld.
LEm3IoG.gif

iconmaster

Banned
I really think they were gonna announce it but due to the current pandemic, are waiting for later in the year. Perhaps they will
around the time E3 *would* have taken place. /looks back for iconmaster iconmaster entering room :messenger_tears_of_joy:

/iconmaster entered the room ;)

Oh, I've got no beef with a Switch 2. If it plays new games not compatible with Switch, that is absolutely a product I expect to happen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo Life article:

Nintendo is set to remaster "most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue" on Switch to celebrate the franchise's 35th anniversary this year, according to a new report.

The monumental news comes from trusted site VGC, which credits "multiple sources" for the information provided. Apparently, Nintendo is set to hold an event which will coincide with the anniversary, with all plans due to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo’s partnership with Universal and more.

The specific games theoretically coming our way haven't been mentioned, but the report mentions that as well as the remasters noted above, "several other Mario titles" are also launching in 2020, including a new Paper Mario game.

We can't quite believe what we're writing, so we'll be staying glued to our screens for the foreseeable future and will, of course, update you should Nintendo announce these plans officially.

In the meantime, though, feel free to share your excitement with us in the comments below. Which games would you like to see? Super Mario Galaxy? Super Mario Sunshine? Everything ever? Wow.

-----

Update from Eurogamer:

Eurogamer sources have indicated that Mario Galaxy is indeed one of the games being readied for a remaster, alongside a couple of other 3D Mario favourites. [UPDATE: Gematsu has now confirmed these as Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, which Eurogamer can corroborate.]

Many earlier Mario games are already available on Switch via the console's Switch Online NES and SNES apps.

Second, the report states "several other Mario titles" will release in 2020, including a new Paper Mario.

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

Yes!!!!!!!!

Rin_Chan

Neo Member
Not a fan of remakes and remasters but god damn, Mario 64 and Galaxy are literally the best games ever released. Must... resist...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If they rebuilt Mario Galaxy to be played without motion controls, I would be delighted.

I'd also be down to play through Mario 64 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom