• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch will not be sunk by PS5 and Xbox Series X

Too much Japan talk.

Japan’s Gaming market is soooo much different than the rest of the world and that is why CAPCOM put MHW on proper game machines ... and won hugely because of it.

Switch can outsell PS4, PS5 for its entire lifespan in Japan and the biggest Japanese games still wont be released on it.
For real, why is this so hard to understand? Japan is an enigma in the market.

Not Minecraft.

Yes they are.

Too much Japan talk.

Japan’s Gaming market is soooo much different than the rest of the world to where its trends are nearly worthless to other markets. And that is why CAPCOM put MHW on proper game machines ... and won hugely because of it.

Switch can outsell PS4, PS5 for its entire lifespan in Japan and the biggest Japanese games still wont be released on it.

Fucking Splatoon is still charting in Japan. No one gives a shit about splatoon outside of it.

Japan is what, the second largest gaming market in the world? You're saying that it's WORTHLESS TO OTHER MARKETS? No one gives a shit about Splatoon? Splatoon 2 is near 10 million copies sold, that's probably 10 milion copies more than Death Stranding sold. Do you have a fever?

Goddamn, you fucking Nintendo haters are a fucking cult I swear.

Tales from your ass.

Friend you're trying to make me angry. It's working. This is annoying. Not because it's this genius bait or I'm running out of arguments, but because this is moronic. If you think that COD is a bigger IP than fucking Mario, you don't know shit about shit.

Too much Japan talk.

Japan’s Gaming market is soooo much different than the rest of the world to where its trends are nearly worthless to other markets. And that is why CAPCOM put MHW on proper game machines ... and won hugely because of it.

Fucking Splatoon is still charting in Japan. No one gives a shit about splatoon.
The biggest Japanese game in this Generation.
Famitsu sales data

Smash Bros Ultimate - 3.5m
Splatoon 2 - 3.2m
Pokemon Sword and Shield - 3.2m
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2.6m
MHW - 2.5m
SMO - 2m
Pokemon Let's Go - 1.7m
Zelda BOTW all platforms - 1.7m

🤭🤭

VertigoOA

Banned
Yes they are.

Japan is what, the second largest gaming market in the world? You're saying that it's WORTHLESS TO OTHER MARKETS? No one gives a shit about Splatoon? Splatoon 2 is near 10 million copies sold, that's probably 10 milion copies more than Death Stranding sold. Do you have a fever?

Goddamn, you fucking Nintendo haters are a fucking cult I swear.

Friend you're trying to make me angry. It's working. This is annoying. Not because it's this genius bait or I'm running out of arguments, but because this is moronic. If you think that COD is a bigger IP than fucking Mario, you don't know shit about shit.

Wrong. The EU is the second biggest gaming market until China deals with its piracy.

I don’t care if you get angry over your delusion fanboy bullshit.

the most valuable gaming Ips today is Fortnite, GTA, cod and you can add NBA 2k and FIFA into the mix as well. It’s not 1998

You could literally combine all those IPs together and Fortnite alone would still dwarf them.

Last edited:
I don’t care if you get angry over your delusion fanboy bullshit.

the most valuable gaming Ips today is Fortnite, GTA, cod and you can add NBA 2k into the mix as well. It’s not 1998

source.gif

Well done friend, you're a shitposting extraordinaire. You got me going there but now I can appreciate you as a real artist and I respect the dedication to your craft. You're an inspiration to kids all over the globe who dream of one day becoming a huge shitposter at a gaming board, hoping that they can be spoken of in the same breath as your hallowed screen name. Well done!

Microsoft bought Mojang for 2.5 billion dollars, do you think it would take less than that to buy Pokemon or Mario? HOW?
What someone bought and sold something for have no relation on their value. Also when they purchased it the franchise had sold less than 50 million units, they're approaching 200 million as we speak. It's the highest selling video game in history by a long shot and also in the shortest period of time.

Last edited:
Monster Hunter World sold thru 15 million .

welcome to the big leagues
MK8D - 19m last September
BOTW - 16.15m last September
Smash Ultimate - 15.7m last September
SMO - 15.4m last September
Pokemon SwSh is likely to ship around 14m after 2 months

Now imagine the latest figure that will be supplied by Nintendo at the end oh this month.

Welcome to the big club 🤭

Airbus Jr

Banned
They may not sink it but honestly who will actually care about it? The Switch had the luxury of launching when people were already thinking about new consoles from Microsoft and Sony, when they were on the beginning of a downward trend.

To make matters worse for Switch 3rd party is basically going to cease in its entirety. I mean right now it barely gets anything from the 8th gen and is surviving on first party, old ports from the 360/PS3 and indie games.

I sold mine, it's becoming a shovelware platform like the Wii and getting abandoned by third party like the Wii U.

First post and it's already about Xbox, could you people be any more buttblasted about their console...

Nintendo will shine brighter than Xbox and PS

Main reason is unlike the other two they have true exclusives

Third party problem can be resolved by having those game on PC

Last edited:
What someone bought and sold something for have no relation on their value. Also when they purchased it the franchise had sold less than 50 million units, they're approaching 200 million as we speak. It's the highest selling video game in history by a long shot and also in the shortest period of time.
Dude Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, it will take more than 10b to buy it from Nintendo and TPC lol.

VertigoOA

Banned
MK8D - 19m last September
BOTW - 16.15m last September
Smash Ultimate - 15.7m last September
SMO - 15.4m last September
Pokemon SwSh is likely to ship around 14m after 2 months

Now imagine the latest figure that will be supplied by Nintendo at the end oh this month.

Welcome to the big club 🤭

I was pointing out how third parties even in Japan still won’t support Nintendo more with their big games over proper consoles. No one is knocking Nintendo’s success with its IPs.

What someone bought and sold something for have no relation on their value. Also when they purchased it the franchise had sold less than 50 million units, they're approaching 200 million as we speak. It's the highest selling video game in history by a long shot.

Jesus Christ dude you're running laps on your head by moving the goalposts so hard. It's the best selling game in history, but what are the odds of a sequel recapturing those sales? You're acting like Mario sold well in the fucking 1890s, it's BEEN selling well for a long time. It continues to sell well. It feels like any game will the Mario name is an automatic 10 million seller. Pokemon GO alone just made close to $900M last year alone. This isn't even close actually.

Dude Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, it will take more than 10b to buy it from Nintendo and TPC lol.
Top selling games for the last decade in terms of financial gross.

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  4. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Minecraft

What once was incredibly valuable does not mean it still is.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eh outside two games that are not gonna come out anytime soon on the Switch I don't think Nintendo has anything I want. (in 2020 and going forward) Also the rest of the world is a much bigger market than Japan so I have no idea how Nintendo plans on going ---->.

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Minecraft

I think he meant as a franchise.

Jesus Christ dude you're running laps on your head by moving the goalposts so hard. It's the best selling game in history, but what are the odds of a sequel recapturing those sales? You're acting like Mario sold well in the fucking 1890s, it's BEEN selling well for a long time. It continues to sell well. It feels like any game will the Mario name is an automatic 10 million seller. Pokemon GO alone just made close to $900M last year alone. This isn't even close actually.
How is Pokemon GO gonna help the Switch sell Mario games on the Switch? We are talking about the Switch and not mobile games right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh outside two games that are not gonna come out anytime soon on the Switch I don't think Nintendo has anything I want. (in 2020 and going forward) Also the rest of the world is a much bigger market than Japan so I have no idea how Nintendo plans on going ---->.

I think he meant as a franchise.
Even then, like the other poster said it's not 1998 anymore, things have changed.

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Minecraft

*Top selling games in the US.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Too much Japan talk.

Japan’s Gaming market is soooo much different than the rest of the world to where its trends are nearly worthless to other markets
. And that is why CAPCOM put MHW on proper game machines ... and won hugely because of it.

Fucking Splatoon is still charting in Japan. No one gives a shit about splatoon outside of it.

How could you say this?

Take a look at 2019 GOTY contender/best game

Death Stranding
Sekiro
DMC V
Resident Evil 2
Monster Hunter Iceborne
Control
Outer World

5/7 are Japanese made

Japan still irelevant?

Last edited:

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Minecraft

That's just US without Nintendo Digital sales number.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That was a long tangent about Minecraft being more valuable than Mario or Pokemon.
As a franchise Pokemon sells more yes. Merchandise wise it is a powerhouse. Not sure why anybody is talking about that though when the thread is about the Switch having THINGS to offer people in the future outside last gen remasters. (Metroid Prime 2025 hype)

Airbus Jr

Banned

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Minecraft

Jesus those game are multiplatfrom off course its higher

If you want to compare exclusive game then compare it with another exclusive

Nintendo attach rate are much higher than the the other two

Last edited:
I was pointing out how third parties even in Japan still won’t support Nintendo more with their big games over proper consoles. No one is knocking Nintendo’s success with its IPs.
I just stated, Nintendo Switch doesn't need 3rd party AAA titles because Nintendo IP alone is monstrous in term of sales.

That's the point of this thread.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus those game are multiplatfrom off course its higher

If you want to compare exclusive game then compare it with another exclusive

Nintendo attach rate are much higher than the the other two
He might be bringing this up solely because it seems like next gen is mostly going to be multiplat and the Switch might not be able to even have ports then.

P1jHXgz.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
He might be bringing this up solely because it seems like next gen is mostly going to be multiplat and the Switch might not be able to even have ports then.

P1jHXgz.jpg

Nextgen im going to support and back Nintendo 100%

Main reason is because they seems to be the only one gaming console left that still have true exclusive game

Any Xbox or Playstation fanboy disagreeing with me feel free to comments and reply

I have no need for them any longer as PC covered what i need from those two

Last edited:
I just stated, Nintendo Switch doesn't need 3rd party AAA titles because Nintendo IP alone is monstrous in term of sales.

That's the point of this thread.
You guys can't see the forest for the trees lol...

But the Switch does need those titles because as soon as the Series X and PlayStation 5 drop money that could have been dedicated to bolstering Nintendo's platform will suddenly shift elsewhere.

As noted they don't need to target the same market for money to be siphoned from their business.

VertigoOA

Banned
How could you say this?

Take a look at 2019 GOTY contender/best game

Death Stranding
Sekiro
DMC V
Resident Evil 2
Monster Hunter Iceborne
Control
Outer World

5/7 are Japanese made

Japan still irelevant?

Japan’s market tastes are irrelevant in dictating what platforms those appear on; not the developers. Switch can outsell Ps4 and PS5 Indefinitely and those big Japanese games will NOT be developed for Nintendo’s platforms regardless, as none of those were.

Last edited:

magnumpy

Just wait you guys until the Switch Pro comes out.

I question this. I'd argue the switch pro already came out, it's called the switch lite. don't expect upgrades friom nintendo, expect downgrades accompanied by a price drop. that's just how they roll.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Japan’s market tastes are irrelevant in dictating what platforms those appear on; not the developers. Switch can outsell Ps4 and PS5 Indefinitely and those big Japanese games will NOT be developed for Nintendo’s platforms regardless, as none of those were.

Dude many third party game like Witcher 3, Borderlands, Final Fantasy etc just got ported recently for Switch

In the future if Nintendo can provide a high end gaming console multiplatform support will swing back to Nintendo

Last edited:
Dude many third party game like Witcher 3, Borderlands, Final Fantasy etc just got ported recently for Switch

In the future if Nintendo can provide a high end gaming console multiplatform support will swing back to Nintendo
The Witcher 3 is so heavily compromised it completely detracts from the experience, and the other two are last generation titles.

Where is Cyberpunk 2077? Where is Borderlands 3? Where is Final Fantasy XV and VII? Not happening.

magnumpy

nintendo represents a niche. at least compared to playstation specifically. but when you take into account PS, XBox, PC, cell phones, then nintendo is just a niche within a niche.

VertigoOA

Banned
The Witcher 3 is so heavily compromised it completely detracts from the experience, and the other two are last generation titles.

Where is Cyberpunk 2077? Where is Borderlands 3? Where is Final Fantasy XV and VII? Not happening.

I literally interpreted it as a joke post. Throwing out peanuts with a handful of 5 year olds ports that are massively downgraded Lol

Resident Evil appeared on the Gameboy. That stellar third party support!

Last edited:

Neff

All I know is Switch has tons of games I want to play now and going forward, and PS5/XBoxthing doesn't have one apiece yet

DESTROYA

I question this. I'd argue the switch pro already came out, it's called the switch lite. don't expect upgrades friom nintendo, expect downgrades accompanied by a price drop. that's just how they roll.
It’s been reported by people in the business ,question what you like but its coming .

It’s been reported by people in the business ,question what you like but its coming .
The Switch Pro doesn't even make sense. First off how is it going to work? Is it going to be an upgraded handheld? Welp there goes the thermal and power consumption envelope not to mention a dramatic uptick in cost merely because of the form factor.

Oh it's going to be a new dock? So essentially they're going to sell you a second console on top of the one you bought but you're going to need to have the Switch arbitrarily for operation when in reality the dock should be 100% standalone.

None of it makes any sense.

Top Bottom