• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling games console during UK Black Friday

freefornow

Gold Member
At launch, I doubted the Switch. So much humble pie consumed since then!
Re Series S, another 58000 UK gamers joining Xbox ecosystem. UK has been a tough market for Xbox.

Last edited:
Nintendo selling a ~6 year old console for the exact same price at launch pisses me off lol. I'm a fan of Nintendo and its 1st party games, but holy shit what a scam. Sorry to everyone who participated in the scalping of Black Friday. I finally found a really good used nintendo switch online, because I refuse to indulge Nintendo's greedy as shit pricing.

TLZ

Banned
From the quicker people at IBF,

Estimates are.

Black Friday 2021
Total : 145.000 units
Switch : 110.000 units
XB + PS5 : 35.000 units

Black Friday 2022
Switch : 61.000 units
Xbox Series : 58.000 units
PS5 : 26.000 units
Ah thanks. Same number of total units. Much less Switch numbers. Xbox and PS eating into its pie. Impressive Xbox numbers there too.

Nintendo selling a ~6 year old console for the exact same price at launch pisses me off lol. I'm a fan of Nintendo and its 1st party games, but holy shit what a scam. Sorry to everyone who participated in the scalping of Black Friday. I finally found a really good used nintendo switch online, because I refuse to indulge Nintendo's greedy as shit pricing.
Inflation does not exist.
There was no COVID.
There is no War in Ukraine
The world is not changing.
And Nintendo are robbing me by not lowering their prices.

Elios83

From the quicker people at IBF,

Estimates are.

Black Friday 2021
Switch : 110.000 units
XB + PS5 : 35.000 units

Black Friday 2022
Switch : 61.000 units
Xbox Series : 58.000 units
PS5 : 26.000 units

PS5 sales were not strong, reports claimed that it was poorly or not restocked in the UK over the week.
At the same time in the same week they sold over 50k consoles in Japan :messenger_grinning_sweat: so it's not clear what's happening here with shipments.
Maybe the full month results can give us a better picture, that is if they had strong shipments throughout the whole month because of God of War so there wasn't a single huge shipment for BK week or if they're shipping everything to the US or if shipments simply are not good enough.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Wait, it's 40% Xbox Series S. 18% includes Series X and PS5, no?

40% for the entire series line and 18% for Sony.

Impressive result for Xbox, this generation is clearly going to surpass the last quite easily. XSS should gain even more momentum once we start getting more current gen only games.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Quite a shellacking the Switch pulled in Spain. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Looks like the current gen systems didn't get much in the way of shipments there.

Inflation does not exist.
There was no COVID.
There is no War in Ukraine
The world is not changing.
And Nintendo are robbing me by not lowering their prices.
All I see in your post are corporate excuses. Which is fine, but I don't think we should fault anyone for being disappointed in Nintendo's pricing. If other companies can have sales on Black Friday then Nintendo can have sales on Black Friday. MS just sold the Series S for $250. The fact is the Switch is almost 6 year old hardware. If Nintendo hasn't figured out how to cut down on hardware costs or how to recoup costs in other ways to provide discounts for their customers that's on them. I don't have to be buddy buddy and kiss their butt just because I'm a nintendo fan. I already said I'm a Nintendo fan and love their games lol.

I bought that MK8 bundle, so I’m part of the problem.
I know I complain about almost everything under the sun, but I just signed up for Nintendo's DLC Expansion subscription. I'll be playing all of the new mario kart 8 tracks too. I'm actually looking forward to going back and playing through a bunch of retro games as well. Super Mario World, Super Metroid (never played through before), and Ocarina of TIme and Mario 64.

Last edited:

jm89

Not surprised series s doing so well. Ms had a shit ton of stock and those deals had it flying off shelves

reksveks

Switch won in Spain, too during BF

Hardware:
Switch: 37.000 / 332.800 YTD
XBS: 9.000 / 73.700 YTD
PS5: 8.500 / 145.000 YTD
Yeah was going to post this but wasn't sure whether I deserved a different thread.

BF last year was
Switch 35000
PS5 5500
Xbox 4000

Good growth across the board. Still not sure about the ps5 targets.

Yeah was going to post this but wasn't sure whether I deserved a different thread.

BF last year was
Switch 35000
PS5 5500
Xbox 4000

Good growth across the board. Still not sure about the ps5 targets.
Impossible to reach.
PS4 sold in 8.4m units during the holiday quarter 2015.

PS4 sold 3.15m units during the Holidays in the US
PS4 sold 140k units during Black Friday week in the UK
PS4 sold 350k units during the Holidays in JP

PS5 will do roughly 1m in November in the US (at best imho)
PS5 sold 75-80k in November in the UK (100% certain below 100k)
PS5 sold 130k in JP so far (doing good there compared to PS4 same timeframe)

And now we look at mainland Europe, where the stock situation is way worse than the 3 biggest Playstation countries.

Last edited:

reksveks

Impossible to reach.
PS4 sold in 8.4m units during the holiday quarter 2015.

PS4 sold 3.15m units during the Holidays in the US
PS4 sold 140k units during Black Friday week in the UK
PS4 sold 350k units during the Holidays in JP

PS5 will do roughly 1m in November in the US (at best imho)
PS5 sold 75-80k in November in the UK (100% certain below 100k)
PS5 sold 130k in JP so far (doing good there compared to PS4 same timeframe)

And now we look at mainland Europe, where the stock situation is way worse than the 3 biggest Playstation countries.
Cheers for the insights, knew UK was down compared to previous BF periods but wasn't sure how much.

There is the random possibility that their Q4 will be an outlier but yeah, it does feel rather unlikely.

Marvel14

Banned
All I see in your post are corporate excuses. Which is fine, but I don't think we should fault anyone for being disappointed in Nintendo's pricing. If other companies can have sales on Black Friday then Nintendo can have sales on Black Friday. MS just sold the Series S for $250. The fact is the Switch is almost 6 year old hardware. If Nintendo hasn't figured out how to cut down on hardware costs or how to recoup costs in other ways to provide discounts for their customers that's on them. I don't have to be buddy buddy and kiss their butt just because I'm a nintendo fan. I already said I'm a Nintendo fan and love their games lol.

I know I complain about almost everything under the sun, but I just signed up for Nintendo's DLC Expansion subscription. I'll be playing all of the new mario kart 8 tracks too. I'm actually looking forward to going back and playing through a bunch of retro games as well. Super Mario World, Super Metroid (never played through before), and Ocarina of TIme and Mario 64.

Well.at least Nintendo didn't get that much of your money! You showed em!

Lasha

A business offers discounts to induce sales when momentum of a product is slow. Why would Nintendo lower the price of a switch when demand remains high at the current price? Nintendo isn't backed by a mega conglomerate like Microsoft or Sony. Giving a discount for no reason other than to make you happy would be irresponsible and risky.

OuterLimits

The Switch still winning a Black Friday in year 6 of the system(that hasn't seen a price cut since launch) seems rather insane to me. It is going to get close to PS2 numbers eventually, and the PS2 was selling for dirt cheep the final couple years on the market.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
I just wish the build quality was better for the joy-cons, have like 4-5 sets (don't even remember) and they are all bad, including the OLED ones.

PS5 sales were not strong, reports claimed that it was poorly or not restocked in the UK over the week.
At the same time in the same week they sold over 50k consoles in Japan :messenger_grinning_sweat: so it's not clear what's happening here with shipments.
Maybe the full month results can give us a better picture, that is if they had strong shipments throughout the whole month because of God of War so there wasn't a single huge shipment for BK week or if they're shipping everything to the US or if shipments simply are not good enough.
Why are you making excuses for PS5? Amazon, Game, Argos, Smiths had PS5 in stock all week. No way Sony would only have 25k PS5 consoles avaliable in the UK, expecially on the most demanding week.

Neo_GAF

Banned
Nintendo went from Wii U being a miserable flop, everybody saying they’re finished, to what will likely end up as the most successful console of all time. And it’s damn near entirely carried by their first party output.

giphy.gif
actually the same thing happened with gamecube(if we can let virtual boy slip)->wii

pasterpl

Why are you making excuses for PS5? Amazon, Game, Argos, Smiths had PS5 in stock all week. No way Sony would only have 25k PS5 consoles avaliable in the UK, expecially on the most demanding week.

This. Playstation 5 bundles were/are widely available across multiple retailers in the UK. Even checking just now Amazon best sales - consoles only are XBSS, XBSX, NSW, PS5 in this order.

Last edited:

Mozza

Jeez, I had no idea this was some kind of touchy subject.

I’m just saying that Nintendo has sort of merged their previously split markets into one.
In some ways it will probably lead to overall lower sales than the two combined (people that previously bought two consoles now buy one instead) but overall higher than any singular device (because Switch combines the ease of portability while still being able to work as a stationary console). It’s really not slowing down so there’s no telling how many more they’ll sell.
Not getting touchy just pointing out the very specific circumstances of the Wii and DS, which often get overlooked when people focus purely on their combined sales numbers, then try to compare it to other situations.

Pretty sure Nintendo will be very pleased with the Switch's performance, and their new approach has been more then vindicated imho.

Top Bottom