• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Tech Limitations Won’t Allow It To Run Call Of Duty, Believes The CMA

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Feel pretty confident in my suspicion CMA are going to block this deal. Seems like a lot of work needs to be done to change their posture.

JLB

Banned
Feel pretty confident in my suspicion CMA are going to block this deal. Seems like a lot of work needs to be done to change their posture.

LOL so CMA will block a deal because is technically impossible to port a game on a platform? So how is MS blocking access to a game on a platform that is not capable of running a thing in the first place?

Topher

Gold Member
LOL so CMA will block a deal because is technically impossible to port a game on a platform? So how is MS blocking access to a game on a platform that is not capable of running a thing in the first place?

No, it is for that reason that the CMA had said they would not be taking the Switch as a platform (or the deal MS offered Nintendo) into consideration on whether to approve the deal or not.

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo left the power race with the GameCube, new HW releases for them are not about hardware relative to other players in the market, if that were the case, Switch would be placed in between 7th Gen and 8th Gen, since tech wise is better than X360-PS3 but worse than Xb1-PS4
I agree. Numbers wise it's a bit better than 7th gen. Tech wise though it's defo 8th gen, just low on numbers because it's a handheld.

Wait, weren't you here before? Why does it show you as a Neo member?

With all due respect, it doesn't matter if you don't consider as such. The Switch is Nintendo' 9th gen system, as gen doesn't define how much power a system should have, will compete most of it's life against MS and Sony's 9th gen system.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo brings to the table with the 10th gen's first system.
Well, in my very humble opinion, it doesn't matter if you consider it as much either 😅

Competing sales-wise maybe, not tech-wise though. As a portable, yes, it's the latest gen. As a home console, not really.

But let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No, because it seems they are quite focussed on what the merger will likely do to Playstation specifically as the closest competitor.

They explicitly say that they aren't giving the "promise" to publish on Nintendo much weight, which by extension underlines their apparent scepticism of MS' claims that this acquisition will GROW the market.

If their belief is that MS would happily SHRINK the overall market if that's what it takes to improve their competitive performance, they are very likely going to conclude that this is monopolistic in practice. Being that it is essentially "cornering the market".

Reactions: JLB

Nautilus

Banned
I agree. Numbers wise it's a bit better than 7th gen. Tech wise though it's defo 8th gen, just low on numbers because it's a handheld.

Well, in my very humble opinion, it doesn't matter if you consider it as much either 😅

Competing sales-wise maybe, not tech-wise though. As a portable, yes, it's the latest gen. As a home console, not really.

But let's agree to disagree.

As if tech ever mattered in determing a console generation.(Wii is what, a 6th gen console then? lol).

But this has gone far enough, and like I once heard: Opinion is like an ass, everyone has one. So let's stop here.

GHG

Gold Member
Because they want this deal to pass. It's okay for them to commit resources to a product with poor ROI if they want to try and help the deal through.

Potential IP/property destruction is a consideration for regulators, hence they ask for an extensive outline from the acquiring party as to what their intentions are with the company and associated properties they intend to purchase.

This is especially true for vertical mergers where the company being acquired is an important partner and/or revenue producer for the companies that compete with the acquiring party.

EN250

I'm a new member as I finally got in the forum when the gates were open to the plebs, but I'm a long time lurker :messenger_beaming:

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
bupJcJ3.jpg
buo3iWB.png

NickFire

I have to be misunderstanding what you mean then. With one exception, there has been a new Call of Duty every single year since 2005. I don’t know why that would change.
All I’m saying is they keep building on the same game year over year. So if Switch cannot handle the current one, which it cannot, then there’s no reason to believe it can handle the ones that will keep building out and demanding more resources than the most recent.

TLZ

Banned
I'm a new member as I finally got in the forum when the gates were open to the plebs, but I'm a long time lurker :messenger_beaming:
I swear I saw this name before... Were you on other forums? Hold on, were you on evoweb?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Potential IP/property destruction is a consideration for regulators, hence they ask for an extensive outline from the acquiring party as to what their intentions are with the company and associated properties they intend to purchase.

This is especially true for vertical mergers where the company being acquired is an important partner and/or revenue producer for the companies that compete with the acquiring party.
MS intentionally destroying the CoD IP is I'm sure the very last thing on the regulators minds.

TexMex

All I’m saying is they keep building on the same game year over year. So if Switch cannot handle the current one, which it cannot, then there’s no reason to believe it can handle the ones that will keep building out and demanding more resources than the most recent.

Of course it can’t, that’s why we’re saying it would have to be cloud based.

Tams

Gold Member
Does the CMA think you just click compile and you have a switch version? By the time a port is made there will be new hardware.
It's a question of if they think the deal had been made in good faith.

The CMA clearly think it hasn't been given the history of Microsoft and Activision. They aren't in the habit of accepting promises that can be broken.

The CMA aren't investigating if it's technically possible. They are investigating if the acquisition will harm the market and make it less competitive. Microsoft brought this deal with Nintendo to the table to support their case, but the CMA aren't buying it.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

A 5 page thread about a regulator talking about Microsoft putting Call of Duty on the Switch.
What happened to this world?

Last edited:
Top Bottom