• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Sports Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
FRWn_3dX0AEHTzj

• General Information
  • Platform: Nintendo Switch
  • Release Date: April 29, 2022
  • No. of Players: Single System (1-4), Online (1-2)
  • Genre(s): Sports, Multiplayer, Party
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • Game file size: 3 GB
  • Official website: https://nintendoswitchsports.nintendo.com/en/

Review Aggregators
Review Scores

MiguelItUp

I wasn't sure what to expect with the outcome of this one, but I was hoping it was gonna be even better than the previous one in the long run. Guessing that's not the case, lol.

Topher

Gold Member
For comparison's sake, original Wii Sports metacritic score: 75

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Neat, seems good enough for a party game, which is what I was expecting it to be.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I will probably wait to watch a few reviews before I decide on this one. Shame as the OG is probably my favorite memories of playing a game. So many drunken nights with friends and family playing Wii Sports.

Topher

Gold Member
i don't really give a shit i just want to play some bowling and tennis. when i preordered it was at £39.99 but it's £35 now. not gonna piss and moan about that. nintendo could have easily been charging £60-70 like some others....

Wii Sports tennis was awesome. I've been holding off getting a Switch but this might be the game that pulls me in.

I thought this was gonna be a home run for nintendo considering it’s legacy but it probably doesn’t have to review well, casuals will buy it by the millions.

Astral Dog

Sounds about right, Switch Sports will get 'free' updates later with the other minigames. a 75 score for this type of game isn't bad at all, its not Zelda lol

I've pre-ordered it so I'll give some impressions. I was expecting an 8 / 10 personally. It looks light on content compared to previous entries.

Hoping that what's there delivers though! I can't imagine it isn't fun to play some of these online.

Sounds like soccer is a letdown, and I could honestly see that. It does look like baby Rocket League since the ball is huge. I'm all in for Badminton though, my favorite net sport. IGN says that's the best one, so that's good.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Open Critic takes the aggregate to "Fair" I would say that is medium.

Ok. I didn't realize Open Critic categorized it that way. I just went over and checked and personally, I don't like their labels. A game with a 75 rating is "fair". Any game below 70 is "weak"? I don't get that.

Ok. I didn't realize Open Critic categorized it that way. I just went over and checked and personally, I don't like their labels. A game with a 75 rating is "fair". Any game below 70 is "weak"? I don't get that.
Yeah it's odd. Personally I'd rate a good game without flaws as an 8. A great game a 9. A fantastic game with something truly exceptional about it a 10.

A 7 for me is a good game with some flaws (here it is less content than the last entries, and soccer is not amazing).

AJUMP23

A 7 isn't bad, I mean I probably dated some sevens back in the day and they were just fine. More women have probably rated me a 7, but I am at least an 8 because of my charm and intellect.

Yeah it's odd. Personally I'd rate a good game without flaws as an 8. A great game a 9. A fantastic game with something truly exceptional about it a 10.

A 7 for me is a good game with some flaws (here it is less content than the last entries, and soccer is not amazing).

I feel like a 7 could be a great or horrible depending on how much you like the type of game it is. Fair sounds fair to me.

6 is where we get into “it might be ok in an ironic, mindless way” and 5 and below is irredeemable

Fbh

Not sure why many people are surprised with the score.
The original Wii Sports didn't review amazingly well either (76 metascore) and that one had all the novelty factor going for it. Looking at some reviews Nintendo could have definitely added a lot more content for the asking price though.

Anyway, I doubt the target audience for this cares about reviews or content to price ratio

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
This was never gonna get big scores, it's a rehash of an old game after all, but as long as the tennis and bowling play well, it's gonna sell well.

What the game needed, is a robust online system.

Sojiro

I still have a Wii with Wii Sports so I personally have no reason to pay for essentially the same games again. Honestly, I enjoyed Wii Sports Resort more than the games on here outside of bowling, that one is great.

Ozriel

M$FT
Dafuq?!

We really need to do something about games journalism. Because all the previews were unbelievably positive.

75 MC isn’t a bad score, but the previews gave a different impression

RaptorGTA

when they first reveal this game..i was like....meh. But the kids want it..and since we recently brought out the wii for some wii sports...yea..i want this game too.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Idk if this game will match the success of the first game. It doesn't seem to have the same buzz or interest the first game got when it was on the Wii.

But its Nintendo so we will see .....

93xfan

Banned
It seems like they did the absolute bare minimum. I'm disappointed the bowling bonus games weren't included like 100 pin bowling
Nintendo is going downhill fast in terms of putting in effort. Sick of them half assing things these past few years.

Edit: referring to effort in bringing back classic games.

N64 emulation
Mario 3D all stars
New Super Mario Bros U long load times
Wii Sports.

They are too quick to say “good enough”.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
It feels super weird that there launching it without all the games included, like you have to wait a couple months for golf.

Think I will wait a year to pick it up on the cheap with all the modes included.
You'll be waiting a long time for "on the cheap".

1-2 Switch is still full price and barely gets a 10% discount now and again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom