• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch sets new record as best-selling console in the U.S. for 22 consecutive months

devilNprada

Well done Nintendo and all that Jazz...I just don't get the appeal

and if the appeal is its handheldness, why the hell haven't MS and Sony (Especially MS with Xcloud) announced a handheld?

XSS should have been a handheld.

This is exactly what I thought... XSs as a hand held would have been the shit...

The lites are most the sales at this point and is the best gaming device out there.

Hmm, the Nintendo Switch seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. But why its so popular?
Just think of it like this people love nintendo and the people who do only need to buy one Nintendo system now and it’s a versatile hybrid perfect for a lot of situations. Combine that with some of the best iterations of popular series and you have a no brainer

Last edited:

magnumpy

It does not mean it's bad either, it's all personal opinions to it's quality, but it's sales speak for themselves.

are we talking about nintendo or mcdonalds here? I think it's safe to say that mcdonalds is objectively bad low quality food. nintendo is a bit of a mixed bag, recently (so put away your vintage bloodstained pitchforks, I'm not talking about your cherished childhood memories) output has varied between excellent to laughable and this is the only correct opinion I refuse to argue about it ._.

noshten

It's a bit strange to say that Nintendo isn't competing with Sony or Microsoft when we look at entertainment and the amount of time each person has to play games or to watch Netflix, or read books. All these devices, services, and experiences are competing with each other at some level.

Nintendo has very much been in competition with Sony and Microsoft, courting indies and AA publishers to the Switch. They have created a sizeable market for the indies, studios, and publishers who have invested their time and resources to create an audience on the Switch to be successful.
Let's not kid ourselves the most successful games on the Playstation and Xbox have always been Sports, Shooters & GaaS games - every year in Europe we can guarantee that FIFA is the #1 game across the continent, in North America, it's usually COD, GTA V is selling insane amounts because it has because it also has a GaaS component. When we talk about "hardcore", let's just call it what it is, friends wanting to play FIFA, COD, or GTA Online together. You could pretty much remove 90% of single-player games and the vast amount of people that have Playstation or Xbox wouldn't care.
People who game on the PC, Switch, Playstation or Xbox aren't any more hardcore than one another.

On a different level, you could also look it at from a perspective of content. Nintendo will probably never be in a position to have 80% of the gaming market in the West. Yet, there are markets where dedicated video gaming has started trending towards this reality since the Switch released. The closer you get to Japan the clearer it is that Hybrid Device, Nintendo Software supplemented by AA & indies is enough to dominate a market. We might start to see this trend in other places like France and Spain in the near future but not while FIFA remains the biggest game there. In the meantime, because Playstation is fading into irrelevance in Japan, so are Western AAA games. Although never a major market for Western publishers, there were some companies that had hits in Japan. So it's not impossible to break into Japan or other Asian markets but perhaps it's difficult to do it with whats popular in the West. Outside of GTA and Minecraft, there aren't many million-selling western games in Japan for example.
But one recent example of a Western game becoming a hit in Asia is Human Fall Flat, started off as a one-man project, now a studio with around 20 staff and surpassing 600K on the Switch and Playstation in Japan back in April. It's been in the Top 20 on Switch eShop since it's launch, so I won't be surprised for the 1 million milestones to be hit by the end of the year. It's one of the rare Western games that seems to have become a hit across Asia. Certainly, it's price helps it's not a $60 hardcore game but nonetheless, it's a bonified hit. So when a smaller studio is looking at growth, they might look at the Switch ecosystem and prioritize it, similar to how Hades is a timed exclusive on the system. Perhaps this would change with the launch of the latest consoles but I very much there would be any change to the trends we are seeing in Asia and most importantly Japan.

Japan 2019 Famitsu Top 50 Software Sales:
Switch - 12.741.147(72.96%)
PS4 - 4.719.818(27.04%)
TOTAL - 17.460.965

Japan 2020 Famitsu Top 50 Software Sales:
Switch - 13.172.822(78.55%)
PS4 - 3.596.253(22.45%)
TOTAL - 16.769.075

South Korea 2019 Media Create Software Sales:
Switch – 1.564.125(63,42%)
PS4 – 844.641(34,25%)
TOTAL – 2.466.442

Taiwan 2019 Media Create Software Sales:
Switch – 1.136.238(51,33%)
PS4 – 1.060.802(47,93%)
TOTAL – 2.213.418

The last point is regarding Japanese 3rd Party publishers, all I can say is that outside of very few Western focused titles, in the coming years there would be more and more Switch exclusives. Japanese were slow to adapt to the PS4 and Switch, they would be even slower to adapt to the PS5 and they aren't interested in Xbox unless Microsoft is footing the bill. This fall will be a sign of things to come, as Koei, Konami, Marvelous, Atlus, Nippon & Bandai have all started to focus the majority of their efforts to the system. Next year Capcom will release their first major efforts on the Switch as well, and Playstation's market share in terms of Software will fall below 15% in Japan, despite the launch of the PS5

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
When it makes the Switch look good, it is competing with the other consoles but otherwise people say that it's isn't competing against the other consoles.

Zog

Banned
Because it's a handheld. And no... what..
Yeah, I remember hooking my 3DS up to my TV using a device that Nintendo released for that purpose and playing with a controller Nintendo released for that purpose. Switch is just like every other handheld, right?

Dodo123

Entertainment companies compete for customer's time. Gaming businesses want people to play more or to start playing in many cases (so to broaden the gaming sector). It will always come at a cost of other things, e.g. I play more, so I'm watching less movies. If that's the case, maybe I don't have to subscribe to two SVOD services etc.

Switch deserves the success it achieves. Nintendo should go hybrid a generation earlier IMO, as it wasn't able to support two platforms at once software-wise.

Humdinger

It's a bit strange to say that Nintendo isn't competing with Sony or Microsoft when we look at entertainment and the amount of time each person has to play games or to watch Netflix, or read books. All these devices, services, and experiences are competing with each other at some level.

Right. Thanks for pointing this out. I used to believe that Sony & MS battled it out for dominance, and Nintendo was off doing their own thing, catering to a different crowd, and it wasn't really a competitor for MS or Sony.

I no longer believe that. Gamers have a limited amount of resources (time, money, energy, attention) to spend on gaming. If they are spending those resources on Switch games, they are not spending them on PS4 or Xbox games. So yes, Nintendo is competition.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Curious to see how many units Nintendo moves in November but the console is going to remain the best selling console as we progress into the next generation assuming Nintendo chooses to iterate on what is has.

Tschumi

Seriously at this point i think the Nintendo head office has a cash jacuzzi next to every desk and a mini one for the army of 1000 highly potty trained office puppy mascots

Last edited by a moderator:

Porcile

Ive been playing my 3DS more recently wishing the Switch had backwards compatibility. Amazing how they've been able to coast for the last two years. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them for the Switch 2 or whatever.

Mozza

are we talking about nintendo or mcdonalds here? I think it's safe to say that mcdonalds is objectively bad low quality food. nintendo is a bit of a mixed bag, recently (so put away your vintage bloodstained pitchforks, I'm not talking about your cherished childhood memories) output has varied between excellent to laughable and this is the only correct opinion I refuse to argue about it ._.

Mcdonalds has nothing to do with this, I am not sure why the original post was even relevant, outside of the typical "Nintendo is doing well so let's undermine it in anyway we can" sort of way, so the usual Switch sales are a blip has gone out of the window, the childish games quotes are still out in force, and of course the old how can Nintendo get away with this with such a high priced under powered console blah blah blah comments are still being made.

So much salt with all this, and it's even more sad when you consider the Switch has little to no impact on either Microsoft's or Sony's current or next generation consoles, imagine how bad it would be if Nintendo were directly competing power for power. ;)

Seriously at this point i think the Nintendo head office has a cash jacuzzi next to every desk and a mini one for the army of 1000 highly potty trained office puppy mascots

2f7.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned

and if the appeal is its handheldness, why the hell haven't MS and Sony (Especially MS with Xcloud) announced a handheld?

Its games. It will always be games.

Look at the top releases on PS and XBox. How many of them could be described as "serious" games.

TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are all very serious and sombre and all about that gritty drama. What if someone isn't into violence or wants to have a bit of fun playing games? There's not much on offer.

Even looking at Cyberpunk 2077 coming up. It looks like an awesome game to me. However, it's loaded with content that I just think won't appeal to someone who's looking for a bit of family friendly harmless and generally fun content.

Nintendo has a thing for releasing games that are just straight up fun to play. Games that you could easily recommend to anyone.

Tschumi

Sony had the Vita, but it fell victim to the same poor management calls as PS3 (bespoke memory cards, for instance) and failed. They stopped developing AAA games for it like 7 years ago~

I feel obligated to mention that the Vita lives on with a epic hacking scene. Actually in this video by a dude i like the Vita seems to come out on top~

It's a shame. There's no reason they can't repeat the success of PSP if they make the same kind of calls as they did for PS4.. i hope we see another Sony handheld one day..

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
These new machines will have little to no impact on the Switch at launch or going forward, the Switch has not been competing in that space since the beginning, and Nintendo have not been in the hardcore market since the Gamecube.
IN what market? They are all in the videogame market. The only difference with the switch and ps4 is it has the ability to play it in your hand. The artistic style of Ninendo games make the horsepower irrelevant.

Games like Mairo Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, and many others hold up Graphically to any modern Standard despite being on weaker Hardware.

Mozza

IN what market? They are all in the videogame market. The only difference with the switch and ps4 is it has the ability to play it in your hand. The artistic style of Ninendo games make the horsepower irrelevant.

Games like Mairo Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, and many others hold up Graphically to any modern Standard despite being on weaker Hardware.

They get lumped into the whole video game market when in reality they have not competed in the power race for ages, Nintendo has carved a little niche out for itself, this was all was pointing out.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
They get lumped into the whole video game market when in reality they have not competed in the power race for ages, Nintendo has carved a little niche out for itself, this was all was pointing out.
On what system should I buy Dragon Quest XI or Skyrim or Diablo III?

Like it or not, they do share the same market with Sony and Microsoft. When people make comparisons to the best selling console, what other consoles are they talking about?

Why is it that when a comparison benefits Nintendo, then they are in competition but when the comparison doesn't benefit Nintendo (like hardware specs, for example) then suddenly Nintendo isn't in competition.

Mozza

On what system should I buy Dragon Quest XI or Skyrim or Diablo III?

Like it or not, they do share the same market with Sony and Microsoft. When people make comparisons to the best selling console, what other consoles are they talking about?

Why is it that when a comparison benefits Nintendo, then they are in competition but when the comparison doesn't benefit Nintendo (like hardware specs, for example) then suddenly Nintendo isn't in competition.

I simply meant the Switch appeals to a wider demographic, if Nintendo wanted to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft it would not get them enough sales, so while Nintendo is in effect competing in the video game market like Sony and Microsoft, they are attracting different types of customers.

Btw I do not see it as a competition, I am glad Nintendo and Sony are doing well this generation.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I simply meant the Switch appeals to a wider demographic, if Nintendo wanted to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft it would not get them enough sales, so while Nintendo is in effect competing in the video game market like Sony and Microsoft, they are attracting different types of customers.

Btw I do not see it as a competition, I am glad Nintendo and Sony are doing well this generation.

I bet you own a Switch and atleast a PS4 or an Xbox One. Nintendo is attracting the same people who play Sony and Microsoft's consoles.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
As someone who grew up primarily on portable gaming, the Switch is basically everything I ever dreamed of growing up. The fact that it delivers a pretty good console / TV experience on top of that is just icing on the cake. It delivers on the potential that VITA squandered, backed by the full force of Nintendo's creative output. The fact that you can play a game like SMO on a fucking handheld still makes me a bit weak in knees. But that you can also throw it on the TV and play Jackbox or Mario Kart with friends, come on.

Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the Switch and it deserves to be one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Chastten

Banned
I bet you own a Switch and atleast a PS4 or an Xbox One. Nintendo is attracting the same people who play Sony and Microsoft's consoles.

I haven't owned a PlayStation since the first one in the 90's and my last Xbox is the 360 though.

Switch is fullfilling all my gaming needs atm, along with some k&m games on PC.

Something like Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Ring Fit attracts people that would never consider owning a PS or Xbox.

Bodomism

Banned

Nintendo has very much been in competition with Sony and Microsoft, courting indies and AA publishers to the Switch. They have created a sizeable market for the indies, studios, and publishers who have invested their time and resources to create an audience on the Switch to be successful.
Let's not kid ourselves the most successful games on the Playstation and Xbox have always been Sports, Shooters & GaaS games - every year in Europe we can guarantee that FIFA is the #1 game across the continent, in North America, it's usually COD, GTA V is selling insane amounts because it has because it also has a GaaS component. When we talk about "hardcore", let's just call it what it is, friends wanting to play FIFA, COD, or GTA Online together. You could pretty much remove 90% of single-player games and the vast amount of people that have Playstation or Xbox wouldn't care.
People who game on the PC, Switch, Playstation or Xbox aren't any more hardcore than one another.

On a different level, you could also look it at from a perspective of content. Nintendo will probably never be in a position to have 80% of the gaming market in the West. Yet, there are markets where dedicated video gaming has started trending towards this reality since the Switch released. The closer you get to Japan the clearer it is that Hybrid Device, Nintendo Software supplemented by AA & indies is enough to dominate a market. We might start to see this trend in other places like France and Spain in the near future but not while FIFA remains the biggest game there. In the meantime, because Playstation is fading into irrelevance in Japan, so are Western AAA games. Although never a major market for Western publishers, there were some companies that had hits in Japan. So it's not impossible to break into Japan or other Asian markets but perhaps it's difficult to do it with whats popular in the West. Outside of GTA and Minecraft, there aren't many million-selling western games in Japan for example.
But one recent example of a Western game becoming a hit in Asia is Human Fall Flat, started off as a one-man project, now a studio with around 20 staff and surpassing 600K on the Switch and Playstation in Japan back in April. It's been in the Top 20 on Switch eShop since it's launch, so I won't be surprised for the 1 million milestones to be hit by the end of the year. It's one of the rare Western games that seems to have become a hit across Asia. Certainly, it's price helps it's not a $60 hardcore game but nonetheless, it's a bonified hit. So when a smaller studio is looking at growth, they might look at the Switch ecosystem and prioritize it, similar to how Hades is a timed exclusive on the system. Perhaps this would change with the launch of the latest consoles but I very much there would be any change to the trends we are seeing in Asia and most importantly Japan.

Japan 2019 Famitsu Top 50 Software Sales:
Switch - 12.741.147(72.96%)
PS4 - 4.719.818(27.04%)
TOTAL - 17.460.965

Japan 2020 Famitsu Top 50 Software Sales:
Switch - 13.172.822(78.55%)
PS4 - 3.596.253(22.45%)
TOTAL - 16.769.075

South Korea 2019 Media Create Software Sales:
Switch – 1.564.125(63,42%)
PS4 – 844.641(34,25%)
TOTAL – 2.466.442

Taiwan 2019 Media Create Software Sales:
Switch – 1.136.238(51,33%)
PS4 – 1.060.802(47,93%)
TOTAL – 2.213.418

The last point is regarding Japanese 3rd Party publishers, all I can say is that outside of very few Western focused titles, in the coming years there would be more and more Switch exclusives. Japanese were slow to adapt to the PS4 and Switch, they would be even slower to adapt to the PS5 and they aren't interested in Xbox unless Microsoft is footing the bill. This fall will be a sign of things to come, as Koei, Konami, Marvelous, Atlus, Nippon & Bandai have all started to focus the majority of their efforts to the system. Next year Capcom will release their first major efforts on the Switch as well, and Playstation's market share in terms of Software will fall below 15% in Japan, despite the launch of the PS5
Always appreciated your well presented factual information here.

carlosrox

Banned
I wonder how long Nintendo will stick with the Switch line. Will they go from Switch to Switch Pro to Switch 2 or straight to Switch 2?

If they want some bragging rights they should prolong the main Switch line with a Pro so that they all keep selling for years and who knows how many the main Switch line can sell before they move onto the true Switch successor.

Bottom line is the Switch absolutely deserves to sell the way it's been selling and more. Such a fucking amazing system with an amazing library of games.

Last edited:

Mozza

I wonder how long Nintendo will stick with the Switch line. Will they go from Switch to Switch Pro to Switch 2 or straight to Switch 2?

If they want some bragging rights they should prolong the main Switch line with a Pro so that they all keep selling for years and who knows how many the main Switch line can sell before they move onto the true Switch successor.

Bottom line is the Switch absolutely deserves to sell the way it's been selling and more. Such a fucking amazing system with an amazing library of games.

I would imagine a revision of some kind, may be a pro version, but also may just be a redesign with a better quality screen, with less bezel.

If we do see a more powerful revision I am betting on it being called Switch plus.

Humdinger

Its games. It will always be games.

Look at the top releases on PS and XBox. How many of them could be described as "serious" games.

TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are all very serious and sombre and all about that gritty drama. What if someone isn't into violence or wants to have a bit of fun playing games? There's not much on offer.

Even looking at Cyberpunk 2077 coming up. It looks like an awesome game to me. However, it's loaded with content that I just think won't appeal to someone who's looking for a bit of family friendly harmless and generally fun content.

Nintendo has a thing for releasing games that are just straight up fun to play. Games that you could easily recommend to anyone.

Right. About the only thing in that category would be Ratchet and Clank and Crash Bandicoot. Otherwise, 90% of what the other consoles offer is serious, "mature," heavy, grimdark and violent stuff. If you're into that, fine. But if you're not -- if you're tired of a constant diet of that, and you're looking for something fun and lighthearted -- then Nintendo is pretty much your only option. It is the only company focused on that sort of game. And they don't halfass it, they do it excellently.

The handheld option is part of the Switch's appeal, for sure, but people aren't buying it primarily for that. They're buying it for the games. Without games to play, a handheld option is pointless. What has been pushing these sales numbers so high, for so long, is the wide appeal of their games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Right. About the only thing in that category would be Ratchet and Clank and Crash Bandicoot. Otherwise, 90% of what the other consoles offer is serious, "mature," heavy, grimdark and violent stuff. If you're into that, fine. But if you're not -- if you're tired of a constant diet of that, and you're looking for something fun and lighthearted -- then Nintendo is pretty much your only option. It is the only company focused on that sort of game. And they don't halfass it, they do it excellently.

The handheld option is part of the Switch's appeal, for sure, but people aren't buying it primarily for that. They're buying it for the games. Without games to play, a handheld option is pointless. What has been pushing these sales numbers so high, for so long, is the wide appeal of their games.

Indeed - games are the most important factor. The form factor is wonderful, but ultimately I bought it to play Zelda, Mario, Astral Chain, and continue using it because of the brilliant Streets Of Rage 4. It's a mix of being a convenient or appropriate platform for the stuff that's in multiple places, and having some really awesome stuff that simply isn't available elsewhere.

Megatron

Given their history, it will very likely be a Switch successor. Nintendo has always followed a Revolution/Evolution pattern with their consoles, introducing something radically new and disruptive, followed by a refinement of that idea:
  • NES --> SNES
  • N64 --> GameCube
  • Wii --> Wii U
  • Switch --> ???

I'd actually call the Switch the evolution/refinement of the WiiU. It's the same concept but MUCH better executed. The WiiU wasn't all that similar to the Wii beyond the name. It supported waggle, but it didn't insist on it. I'd actually say the Wii didn't have an evoloved successor, so in your list I'd say it goes

• NES --> SNES
  • N64 --> GameCube
  • Wii
  • WiiU --> Switch

MrA

Banned
switch lets me play doom while doing cardio, pretty easy to go for 2 hours when there be demon's to blast

Top Bottom